Novel Books & Reading Challenges discussion

Chat Room > Cooking Corner

Comments (showing 1-50 of 164) (164 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Lisarenee (last edited Dec 20, 2010 08:16PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 8415 comments

Since there a lot of us who like to cook this topic is dedicated to all things food related. Want to share a recipe? Looking for recipe? Well we make no promises, but we'll give it best shot and maybe you'll get lucky. Bon Appetit!

MK (Food actvist) (Daalmonette) Cool. thanks for making this thread. I am not a by the book cook but I'd like to see what others post =D.

Lauren | 958 comments http://www.chex.com/Recipes/RecipeVie...

Favorite dessert of all time! Anytime we need to bring anything to a party it's Muddy Chex!

Many different names for this... Gertrude Hawk sells it as "Puppy Chow," and the Chex company refers to them as "Chex muddy buddies." To me they were always... Muddy Chex!:)

Carol *Young at Heart Oldie* This is a delicious Welsh recipe.

BARA BRITH TEABREAD (THIS IS A CAKE)

Ingredients:

8oz mixed dried fruit and chopped mixed (candied) peel
8 fl oz hot strong tea
8oz self-raising (self-rising) flour
1 tsp mixed spice
1 oz butter
3½ oz soft brown sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten

Method:

Put the fruit in a heatproof bowl and pour the hot tea over it. Cover and leave to stand at room temperature for several hours or overnight preferably.

Preheat the oven to 180º/350ºF/Gas Mark 4. Grease a 2lb loaf tin and line it with baking parchment if non-stick.

Sift the flour and mixed spice into a large mixing bowl. Add the butter and, with your finger tips, rub it into the flour until the mixture starts to resemble fine breadcrumbs.

Stir in the sugar, then add the fruit and its liquid along with the beaten egg. Stir well to make the mixture a soft consistency.

Transfer the mixture to the prepared loaf tin and level the surface.

Put into the hot oven and cook for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.

Turn out the loaf on a wire rack and leave to cool completely.

(Soaking the fruit in the hot tea makes it really succulent when you eat the cake.)

Heather | 508 comments OK, got one for ya! It is called, "The Crack" although the real name is "Peanut butter-toffee cheesecake fudge brownies" - like the name crack better!

Ingredients:
brownie mix (I use Betty Crocker)
two egg
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 cup Heath toffee chips
1 cup milk chocolate baking chips
1 package cream cheese (soften) 8 oz
3 tbl whip cream
1 can sweetened condensed milk

Pre-heat oven 350, lightly spray 13x9 inch pan w/Non-stick cooking spray

Steps:
1) beat browine, oil, water, eggs in a bowl for 50 strokes w/spoon - when done pour into pan
2) in another bowl, mix the cream cheese w/electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy, add peanut butter, milk till smooth, then stir in the cup of toffee chips (save the rest in the bag for later use). Spoon mixture over batter; spread evenly
3)Bake 30-40 min or until cheesecake layer is set and edges are lightly golden brown. Cool on cooling rack 30 min, refrigerate 40 min.
4)In small microwave bowl, microwave chocolate chips and whip cream uncovered on high 40-60 seconds or until chips are melted; stir until smooth. Spread over cheesecake layer. Sprinkle with remaining toffee bits. Cool completed about 1 hour. For brownies, cut into 6 rows by 6 rows. Store covered in refrigerator.

message 6: by Lisarenee (last edited Aug 11, 2010 04:55AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 8415 comments I got this off the internet years ago and am unsure where I copied the original recipe/story, but you can find it in a ton of different places if you search the Web. Some call the story an urban legend, I call it fun. Yes, I really made these and they are good!

"The Infamous (not really) Neiman-Marcus Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe.

The following is a recipe that made it’s rounds in the early Nineties. The cookie recipe is really good, the story, however, is false. Here is the cute story that circulated with the recipe via emails.

My daughter and I had finished a salad at the Neiman-Marcus Cafe in Dallas and decided to have a small desert. Because our family members are such "Cookie Monsters", we decided to try the Neiman-Marcus Cookie. It was so good that I asked if they would give me the recipe. She said with a frown, "I'm afraid not", "Well", I said, "Would you let me buy the recipe?" With a cute smile, she agreed. I asked how much, and she responded "Two Fifty". I said with approval, "Just add it to my tab". Thirty days later I received my statement from Neiman-Marcus and it was $285.00. I looked again and remembered I had only spent $9.95 for two salads and about $20 for a scarf. As I glanced at the bottom of the statement said "Cookie Recipe-$250". Boy was I upset! I called Neiman's accounting office and told them the waitress said it was "two fifty" and did not realize she meant $250 for a cookie recipe. I asked them to take back the recipe and reduce my bill, but they said they were sorry, but all recipes were this expensive so not just anyone could duplicate the bakery recipes...the bill would stand.

I thought of how I could try to get even or try to get my money back.
I just said okay, you folks got my $250 and now I'm going to have $250 worth of fun. I told her that I was going to see to it that every cookie lover will have the $250 recipe from Neiman-Marcus for nothing. She replied "I wish you wouldn't do this." I said, "I'm sorry, but this is the only way I feel I can get even and I will." So here it is, please pass it on to someone else or run a few copies...I paid for it, so now you can have it for free!!!

2 cups butter
1 tsp. salt
2 cups sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
2 cups brown sugar
2 tsp. soda
4 eggs
24 oz. chocolate chips
2 tsp. vanilla
1-8 oz. Hershey bar, grated
4 cups flour
3 cups chopped nuts
5 cups blended oatmeal*

Cream butter and both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix together with
flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder and soda. Add chocolate chips, Hershey bar and nuts. Roll into balls and place two inches apart on a cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes at 375. Makes 112 cookies (recipe may be halved).

* Measure oatmeal and blend in a blender to a fine powder.

Have fun! This is not a joke - this is a true story!!!!!"

Carol *Young at Heart Oldie* I love that story and I am 100% behind that customer!

Katherine | 223 comments Heather wrote: "OK, got one for ya! It is called, "The Crack" although the real name is "Peanut butter-toffee cheesecake fudge brownies" - like the name crack better!

Ingredients:
brownie mix (I use Betty Cro..."

OMGosh that sounds wonderful. Will have to try it.

message 9: by Lisarenee (last edited Aug 18, 2010 02:58PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 8415 comments Here is a recipe I devised after eating at a restaurant that used to reside(not sure if it still does) in the Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg, Illinois called John's Garage. They had a baked mostoccoli or was it ziti? I never seem to be able to tell the two apart. Anyway, there are no exact measurement so whether you're cooking for one or for more just try to use as much noodles, sauce, and cheese as you need.

Baked Mostoccoli

Ingredients:

1 box Mostoccoli or Ziti
1 Jar Prego (or whatever sauce you like)
Mozarella Cheese, shredded (a package of approximately 2 to 4 cups - depends on how much you make)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Cook and drain your noodles according to the directions on the package. The amount of noodles to cook depends on the size of the dish you use. To make this you need an oven safe dish (I usually use a cassorole dish, but I've also used a soup bowl with a handle made by Fire King). To estimate the amount to cook line the bottom of your dish with a layer of uncooked noodles. Three layers is ideal, but I have only used two before.

After cooking your 2 to 3 layers of noodles line the bottom of dish with your sauce - just enough to cover the bottom and keep the noodles from sticking. Then put a layer of cooked noodles on top. Cover that with a layer of sauce like you would for lasagna or a pizza. You don't want the noodles swimming in the sauce, just nicely covered. You can spread it out with a spoon. Cover your sauce with mozzarella cheese. A thick enough coat you don't really see the cheese, but not so thick you are going to have to dig to find the noodles.

Repeat the noodle, sauce, and mozzarella layers one or two more times ending with mozzarella. Stick the dish in the oven and bake uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese is nicely melted.

Lisarenee | 8415 comments Does anyone have a cooking device that they would recommend to others? I have a Kitcheaide standing mixer that I never want to be without. It has a dough hook that makes it so I don't have to knead dough when I'm making pizza dough, bread, or any other item that needs kneading. I hate getting sticky stuff on my hands and just love this feature.

Sashana | 6358 comments The Kitcheaide sounds really good Lisa. I'll have to check it out.

Heather | 508 comments Lisarenee, how much is the Kitcheadie and where can you find one? I wouldn't mind having something like as I hate having to hold mine!

Lisarenee | 8415 comments I had a typo. Sorry, it's spelled Kitchenaid. I think I was using my iPad at the time. They are expensive. More so than what I thought. I got mine over 13 years ago as a gift from my hubby. Yes, I actually wanted one. Kohls, JC Penney, and even Wal-Mart sell them. Just make sure it's the stand variety. Here is one that looks like mine:
http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/landi...

Heather | 508 comments I figured there were! And yeah, I really do want one of those but the price, the price!!! Hmm, maybe Mama will be nice and buy it for me. Shoot, that means I'll have to cook for her!

Lauren | 958 comments Haha

Sashana | 6358 comments My aunt is always cooking this and I asked her for the recipe. She got it from allrecipes.com. It's really good, trust me.

Lasagna

Ingredients
1 pound sweet Italian sausage 3/4 pound lean ground beef 1/2 cup minced onion 2 cloves garlic, crushed 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste 2 (6.5 ounce) cans canned tomato sauce 1/2 cup water 2 tablespoons white sugar 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaves 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning 1 tablespoon salt 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley 12 lasagna noodles 16 ounces ricotta cheese 1 egg 1/2 teaspoon salt 3/4 pound mozzarella cheese, sliced 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions
In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until well browned. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water. Season with sugar, basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley. Simmer, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain noodles, and rinse with cold water. In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg, remaining parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
To assemble, spread 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Arrange 6 noodles lengthwise over meat sauce. Spread with one half of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with a third of mozzarella cheese slices. Spoon 1 1/2 cups meat sauce over mozzarella, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers, and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil: to prevent sticking, either spray foil with cooking spray, or make sure the foil does not touch the cheese.
Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 25 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.

message 17: by Samantha (last edited Aug 18, 2010 04:57PM) (new)

Samantha | 107 comments Wow! I've never eat lasagna before. But I liked to try it for my 101 in 1001 list:) and also I like Garfield and I always wondering it:) thanks Sashana:)
I know you're gonna say 'what is that?' but I like to write a description,too:)
Baklava with Pistachio Nuts:
Ingredients:
*500 grams puff pastry(freezer)
*Aluminium foil
*125 grams butter
*250 grams hazelnuts
*75 grams pistachio nuts
*250 grams honey
*3 tablespoons orange juice
*Juice of half a lemon
Directions:
Preparation time:1 1/2 hour
Baking time: 45 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius
Follow the instructions on the packing to allow the puff pastry to thaw. Cover an oven dish with aluminium foil. Grease the foil well. Melt the butter. Roll out every pastry sheet untill it is twice the size of the dish. Divide every pastry sheet in half.Chop the hazelnuts, pistacio nuts and almonds into small pieces. Mix them well. Put a sheet of pastry in the oven dish. Spread it with melted butter and sprinkle some of the nuts mix over it. Repeat this sequence untill every pastry sheet and all of the nut mix are used. Close it off with a final sheet of pastry. put the oven dish into the oven; bake for 15 minutes on teh bottom of the oven and for 30 minutes in the middle of the oven. Heat the honey in a pan and mix the lemon and orange juices through the warm honey. remove the oven dish from the oven and cut the Baklava into square pieces. Pour the honey syrup over the Baklava and leave it to absorb for an hour. serv the Baklava with tea or something you like(like Coke:) )
PS: if you dont like Honey you can use sherbet( sweetened hot water)
I hope you like it:)

Lauren | 958 comments STUFFED PEPPERS! YUM :-)

This is from Food Network but we made it a couple weeks back and they were really good!

Ingredients
6 green bell peppers, tops removed and seeded
4 tablespoons grapeseed oil
1 white onion, diced
1 cup sliced mushrooms
2 teaspoons freshly chopped garlic
1 zucchini, diced
1 yellow squash, diced
2 cups cooked wild rice
1 (14-ounce can) tomatoes, drained
1 cup diced red and green peppers
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup fresh arugula or spinach
2 teaspoons freshly chopped tarragon leaves
1/2 cup grated Parmesan, to finish
Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Wrap the peppers in aluminum foil, and bake in the oven until tender, but not falling apart, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.

In a large skillet over medium heat, add the grapeseed oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions, mushrooms and garlic and saute until the mushrooms are golden brown. Add in the zucchini, yellow squash, wild rice, tomatoes, red and green peppers and continue to cook until the vegetables are tender. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, to taste, and stir in the tomato paste. Remove from the heat and fold in the fresh arugula or spinach and the fresh herbs. Spoon the vegetable mixture into the cooled peppers. Transfer the peppers to a heat-proof serving dish and top with a little Parmesan. Bake until the peppers are heated through, about 15 minutes.

Remove from the oven and serve.

Cook's Note: This can be served on a bed of fresh tomato sauce or on its own. Enjoy.

Sashana | 6358 comments I think I mentioned before that I’m not very good at cooking, but I do love looking through cookbooks and allrecipes.com. Anyway, my dad made curry for dinner tonight-which I hate! So I decided to look for something really simple to cook and I came across this recipe. I was skeptical about the mayo+chicken thing but it turned out really good.

Ingredients
1 (2 to 3 pound) whole chicken, cut into pieces 1 cup dried bread crumbs 1 teaspoon garlic powder 1 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon ground black pepper 1 teaspoon dried thyme 1/2 teaspoon paprika 1 cup mayonnaise

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a medium bowl or gallon size resealable plastic bag, mix together the bread crumbs, garlic powder, salt, pepper, thyme and paprika.
Coat the chicken pieces with mayonnaise. Place chicken pieces in bowl/bag with bread crumb mixture and coat/shake until well coated. Place chicken pieces in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish and bake for 45 minutes or until juices run clear.

Lauren | 958 comments Awww Sashana, I was so excited when I saw a new post in the cooking corner! I opened it up and saw chicken. I was like "Arggghhh! I'm a vegetarian!" lol :)

Sashana | 6358 comments Lol, next time Lauren. Is it hard not eating meat?

Lisarenee | 8415 comments For you Lauren. This from a cookbook from the Kiwanis that I picked up at a yard sale years ago. I swear it tastes like a carmel apple with nuts.:

Taffy Apple Salad

1 large can chunk pineapple (save juice)
2 Cups miniature marshmallows
½ Cup sugar
1 Egg, beaten well
1Tablespoon flour
1 ½ Tablespoons white vinegar
1 ½ Cup Spanish peanuts
1 large Cool Whip
2 Cups diced and unpeeled apples

Mix pineapple and marshmallows. Refrigerate 8 hours. Mix flour, pineapple juice, sugar, vinegar and egg. Cook until thick and refrigerate overnight. Mix Cool Whip, sauce and remaining ingredients and refrigerate 8 hours.

Lisarenee | 8415 comments Here is another:

Crunchy Carmel Apple Pie (Winner of the 2001 GMA apple pie contest – created by Marsh Brooks) So Good!

Ingredients:
1 pastry crust for a deep-dish pie 9-inch (homemade or store-bought)
1/2 cup sugar
3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
6 cups thinly sliced peeled apples (You may need more if your family sits by the bowl and sneaks the sliced applies when you are not looking)
1 recipe crumb topping (see below)
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup caramel topping

Ingredients for Crumb Topping:
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2cup all-purpose flour
1/2cup quick cooking rolled oats
1/2 cup butter

Directions for Crumb Topping:
1. Stir together brown sugar, flour, rolled oats.
2. Cut in 1/2 cup butter until topping is like course crumbs. Set aside.

Directions:
1. In a large mixing bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt.
2. Add apple slices and gently toss until coated.
3. Transfer apple mixture to the pie shell (I remove the store-bought pie shell from the aluminum pie plate and transfer it to a 9-inch pie plate of my own, but you do not have to.)
4. Sprinkle crumb topping over apple mixture.
5. Place pie on a cookie sheet so the drippings don't drop into your oven.
6. Cover edges of pie with aluminum foil.
7. Bake in a preheated 375 oven for 25 minutes. Then remove foil and put back in for another 25 to 30 minutes without foil.
8. Remove from oven. Sprinkle pie with chopped pecans then drizzle with caramel on top.
9. Cool on a wire rack and enjoy warm or at room temperature.

Lisarenee | 8415 comments Samantha this is for you. It's a coffee cake recipe my Mom has been making for years. I don't know where the recipe originated. I've only made it using blueberries.:

Fresh Blueberry Coffee Cake

2 Cups fresh blueberries
2 ¼ cup flour
1 cup sugar
4 Tablespoons butter
2 eggs
¾ cups milk
2 tsp vanilla
1 Tablespoon butter
1 Teaspoon cinnamon

Wash fresh blueberries and spread on paper toweling. Sprinkle with a little sugar and let dry while making batter.
In a bowl, cut butter into flour and sugar as if for a pie crust. When thoroughly mixed. Take out about ¾ cup of the crumbs and set aside. To remainder in bowl add egg, milk, baking powder and vanilla. Beat thoroughly until all sugar is assimilated and batter is not grainy. Pour batter into buttered 9” spring pan and work up around sides of pan to form a lining of dough. Place blueberries into hollow of batter. To the reserved ¾ cup of crumbs add 1 Tablespoon butter and cinnamon and work with fingers to make crumbly. Sprinkle crumbs over top of berries. Bake at 450 degrees for 5 minutes reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue baking for 20 minutes or more until toothpick comes out without batter on it. Serve warm or cold.

To make apple cake peal and slice 2 cups fresh apples, sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon to taste.

For plum cake slice plums into quarters and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.

P.S. Apples or Plums may take more sugar and longer to bake then blueberries.

Lauren | 958 comments Sashana wrote: "Lol, next time Lauren. Is it hard not eating meat?"

For me, not at all. A lot of people tell me that they could never do it, but I was never into chicken or burgers. I just take mineral supplements and things of that nature.

Lauren | 958 comments Lisarenee wrote: "For you Lauren. This from a cookbook from the Kiwanis that I picked up at a yard sale years ago. I swear it tastes like a carmel apple with nuts.:

Taffy Apple Salad

Wow Lisarenne that sounds awesome! I'll make sure I tell you when I try it :) (probably soon)

1 large can chunk pineapple (..."

Lisarenee wrote: "For you Lauren. This from a cookbook from the Kiwanis that I picked up at a yard sale years ago. I swear it tastes like a carmel apple with nuts.:

Taffy Apple Salad

1 large can chunk pineapple (..."

Sashana | 6358 comments Lauren wrote: "Sashana wrote: "Lol, next time Lauren. Is it hard not eating meat?"

For me, not at all. A lot of people tell me that they could never do it, but I was never into chicken or burgers. I just take mi..."

Are you the only vegetarian in your family? How long have you been a vegetarian?

I don’t mean to sound annoying, I’m just curious. I’ve only met one other vegetarian and believe me when I say that she lived off French fries and candy.

Samantha | 107 comments Sashana thank you so much omg! wow I wanna learn the secret recipes cause I like it since when I watched Desperate Housewifes lol!I love it:)
And well you know I love make my sister happy or make surprice for her and she loves cakes so you're great:) I'll try it wednesday well I hope I can make it and this time I can make it look delicious,too:)

Samantha | 107 comments And Lauren well I hope you wont get angry to me for this question but one of my friend told us that she's a vegaterian but she can eat chicken burger can you eat it or you dont eat any kind of meat? she said us she doeasnt like taste of meat especially red but she cant eat meatballs she can just eat chicken nuggets:/

Sashana | 6358 comments Samantha wrote: "Sashana thank you so much omg! wow I wanna learn the secret recipes cause I like it since when I watched Desperate Housewifes lol!I love it:)
And well you know I love make my sister happy or make s..."

Ha-ha, actually Lisarenee posted that one, but I do know how you feel about your cake :) Hopefully you won't make a mess this time, you know what they say: Practice makes perfect. I think I like baking more than I do frying because I hate when hot oil splashes.

Lisarenee | 8415 comments This recipe I got off the PBSKids website under the TV show Zoom. Anybody remember that show? I remember my sister and I watching it all the time. This recipe came from one of the newer shows:

Lemonade

4 Lemons
1 Cup Sugar
6 Cups Water
Ice

1. Roll each lemon with the palm of your hand on a counter or tabletop. This will make the lemons easier to squeeze and help them make more juice.
2. Cut the lemons in half and squeeze them into a bowl. (I use a manual lemon juicer.)
3. Pour the lemon juice into a pitcher.(Watch out for the seeds. You don't want them.)
4. Next, add 1 cup of sugar.
5. Then, add 6 cups of water.
6. Stir everything together.
7. Pour the lemonade into a glass of ice and enjoy!

Sashana | 6358 comments Lisarenee wrote: "This recipe I got off the PBSKids website under the TV show Zoom. Anybody remember that show? I remember my sister and I watching it all the time. This recipe came from one of the newer shows:

Le..."

I wish I had this recipe in the middle of summer. I’ll definitely try it out in the week because I have all the ingredients.

Lauren | 958 comments Sashana wrote: "Lauren wrote: "Sashana wrote: "Lol, next time Lauren. Is it hard not eating meat?"

For me, not at all. A lot of people tell me that they could never do it, but I was never into chicken or burger..."

Haha Sashana... French fries and candy :P Let's see, I've been a vegetarian for (almost) 6 months and I am the only one in my family. I have a very weird diet. Eat a lot of salads, tofu, cheese, peanut butter everything, trailmixes & nuts, and all different sorts ofvegetables :)

Lauren | 958 comments Samantha wrote: "And Lauren well I hope you wont get angry to me for this question but one of my friend told us that she's a vegaterian but she can eat chicken burger can you eat it or you dont eat any kind of meat..."

Samantha, there are all kinds of different vegetarians -- someday I'll hope to go vegan. Yes, some vegetarians will eat poultry, as well as fish and eggs. I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian which means (hence the name) that I still will eat dairy products as well as egg. But I do not eat red meats, fish, poultry, meat products, etc. Good question :)

Samantha | 107 comments Lisareene lemonade is only drinking I know how to made since I'm six years old:) Lol! I live in Mersin and it become 40 C.. when I was six my mom teach me how to do lemonade and I cant forget it because of my cousins love it so much:)

Lauren well I cant understand it because I dont like red meat so much I can eat it in just two food and I cant eat chicken in everyway,too but I love egg and burgers lol I cant live without burgers I love it:)yummyyy:) but actually if I could I'd be a vegetarian:)

Sashana, I can feel it I can do it this time well I try to give support to myself because when I fell happy I can do whatever it is much better:)

Sashana | 6358 comments Did I mention that Thanksgiving is my absolutely favorite holiday? I get to hang out with all my friends and family while eating all my favorite foods. I swear I’m getting hungry thinking about it! What dish are you guys looking forward to? And please don’t feel shy to share your famous recipes!

I’m not a turkey fan and neither is my family, so our menu isn’t very traditional. I’m looking forward to my aunt’s baked Mac and cheese (can you say heaven?), baby back ribs, barbecued and baked chicken, seasoned rice, and everything on the dessert table. Now excuse me while I go salivate.

Shay | 959 comments We are, for the most part, all vegetarians. I still make a turkey for the meat eating guests. I make everything from scratch, so it's about a 5-7 day cooking marathon. Homemade ice cream, 2 kinds, 2 deserts, stuffing/dressing from homemade cornbread, etc. About 10-15 courses.

Sashana | 6358 comments Shay wrote: "I make everything from scratch, so it's about a 5-7 day cooking marathon. Homemade ice cream, 2 kinds, ..."

OMG that sounds so freaking good! I’m curious to know what kind of vegetarian dishes you make, Shay. And 5 to 7 days is a lot, you must have leftovers for weeks.
You know this is my last thanksgiving at home and I intend to pig out. My (potential) future roommate and I were talking about out Thanksgiving dinner next year and how we’ll probably be ordering take out :(

Heather | 508 comments I have to work so we all get together and do a potluck. I make, from scratch, pumpkin pie! Yummy!!!

Lauren | 958 comments Shay wrote: "We are, for the most part, all vegetarians. I still make a turkey for the meat eating guests. I make everything from scratch, so it's about a 5-7 day cooking marathon. Homemade ice cream, 2 kinds, ..."

Wow I wish I was a part of your Thanksgiving dinner! Lol. Just kidding (a little.) I don't eat meat.

Thanksgiving is usually a pretty big deal with our family. 30 people to cook for and a day-and-a-half to do it. I have to go over to my Grandmother's the night before along with all of the other cousins.

Shay | 959 comments Sashana wrote: "Shay wrote: "I make everything from scratch, so it's about a 5-7 day cooking marathon. Homemade ice cream, 2 kinds, ..."

OMG that sounds so freaking good! I’m curious to know what kind of vegeta..."

Most side dishes are "naturally" vegetarian. Or can easily be made vegetarian- using vegetable broth in the dressing. But, I make a vegetarian "gravy" out of mushroom stock and my kids like Tofurkey.

If you're not going to be home next year, I think most of the grocery chains, like Albertson's, Von's, sell "complete" dinners you order and pick up. Haven't tried them.

Lauren, you're lucky to have people cooking with you. It's just me, no one else cooks. Well, I'm sure other people cook, but my husband won't eat their food.

Mckris10 | 223 comments That puts you under a lot of pressure when you're doing it by yourself, Shay! We get two dinners for Thanksgiving, one in the afternoon at my husbands parent's house, and one in the evening at one of my cousins. I will be making the desserts to take to my husbands parent's, and I'm not sure what I will take to my cousins house yet. I LOVE Christmas when everyone comes to our house and my husband and I get to make everything, that is when I'm the happiest!!

message 43: by Lisarenee (last edited Nov 16, 2010 04:38AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 8415 comments This recipe I found in a Woman's Day Magazine years ago:
Holiday Bread Braid
1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
¼ cup warm water (105 degrees to 115 degrees)
¾ cup lukewarm milk
¼ cup sugar
1 egg
¼ cup shortening
½ cup raisins
½ chopped blanched almonds
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg or mace
3 ½ - 3 ¾ cups all purpose or unbleached flour, divided
1 egg yolk

Glaze optional and follows.
In Large bowl, stir yeast into warm water until dissolved. Stir in milk, sugar, salt, egg, shortening, raisins, almonds, lemon peel, nutmeg and 1 ¾ cups flour. With electric mixer at low speed, beat until smooth. Stir or mix in enough of the remaining flour to make dough easy to handle. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead about 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place dough in greased bowl and turn greased-side up. Cover and let rise in warm place about 1 ½ hours or until double in size.(Dough is ready if indentation remains when touched.)

Lightly grease cookie sheet. Punch dough down. Divide dough into 4 equal portions. Roll 3 of the portions into 14 inch ropes. Place ropes close together on cookie sheet; braid gently and loosely. Pinch ends together to fasten; tuck under securely. Divide remaining dough portion into 3 pieces; roll each into a 12 inch rope. Braid ropes and place on top of large braid. Cover and let rise for 45 – 60 minutes, or until double size.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In small bowl mix 2 tablespoons cold water; brush over braid. Bake 30 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove bread to wire rack to cool. Meanwhile prepare Glaze. Spread glaze on bread while still warm. Note: If using self-rising flour. Omit salt.

Glaze for Holiday Bread Braid
1 Cup confectioners’ sugar
1 Tablespoon milk
In small bowl, mix sugar and milk until smooth.

message 44: by Lisarenee (last edited Nov 16, 2010 04:44AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 8415 comments This recipe came from I believe a Betty Crocker recipe booklet that are found at the checkout isle.

Winter Bean Soup Mix

2 cups mixed dried beans (1/3 cup each of yellow split peas, green split peas, lima beans, pinto beans, kidney beans and great northern beans)
¼ cup instant minced onion
2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
8 cups water
2 medium carrots, chopped (1 cup)
2 medium celery stalks, chopped (1 cup)
2 pounds smoked ham shanks or 2 pounds smoked ham hocks or 1 ham bone (Make sure they are smoked or soup won't taste like it should)

Note: You may layer the first ingredients in 1-pint glass jar. Store tightly covered at room temperature up to 2 months until you make soup.

Making soup:
1. Heat water and first 5 ingredients to boiling in a 4-quart pot. Boil 2 minutes; remove from heat. Cover and let stand 1 hour.
2. Stir carrots and celery into bean mixture. Add ham shanks. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for about 2 hours or until beans are tender.
3. Skim fat if necessary. Remove ham shanks; remove ham from bone. Trim excess fat from ham. Cut ham into ½ inch pieces. Stir ham into soup. Heat until hot. 6 servings about 1 ½ cups each.

message 45: by Lisarenee (last edited Nov 16, 2010 04:57AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 8415 comments This recipe is not as popular as Libby's Pumpkin Pie recipe, but is really good and not that difficult. Gotten from Libby's website:
http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes...

LIBBY'S® Pumpkin Roll

Ingredients

* 1/4 cup powdered sugar (to sprinkle on towel)
* 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 3 large eggs
* 1 cup granulated sugar
* 2/3 cup LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
* 1 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
* 1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, at room temperature
* 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
* 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions
FOR CAKE:
PREHEAT oven to 375° F. Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan; line with wax paper. Grease and flour paper. Sprinkle a thin, cotton kitchen towel with powdered sugar.

COMBINE flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt in small bowl. Beat eggs and granulated sugar in large mixer bowl until thick. Beat in pumpkin. Stir in flour mixture. Spread evenly into prepared pan. Sprinkle with nuts.

BAKE for 13 to 15 minutes or until top of cake springs back when touched. (If using a dark-colored pan, begin checking for doneness at 11 minutes.) Immediately loosen and turn cake onto prepared towel. Carefully peel off paper. Roll up cake and towel together, starting with narrow end. Cool on wire rack.

FOR FILLING:
BEAT cream cheese, 1 cup powdered sugar, butter and vanilla extract in small mixer bowl until smooth. Carefully unroll cake. Spread cream cheese mixture over cake. Re-roll cake. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving, if desired.

COOKING TIP:
Be sure to put enough powdered sugar on the towel when rolling up the cake so it will not stick.

Lauren | 958 comments My mom makes the BEST pumpkin roll ever! :)

Shay | 959 comments I love Pumpkin Roll. If anyone objects to the taste of cloves, use mace instead. My kids and I don't like pumpkin pie at all. They also like Paula Dean's Pumkin Gooey Butter Cake, which, if I remember right has about a pound of butter.

Sashana | 6358 comments I watch Paula everyday on the FoodNetwork and she uses butter in every single thing! Is a pumpkin roll like a pumpkin pie?

Shay | 959 comments Sashana wrote: "I watch Paula everyday on the FoodNetwork and she uses butter in every single thing! Is a pumpkin roll like a pumpkin pie?"

It's like a jelly roll. Except the cake is pumpkin flavored and the cream cheese is the filling (instead of jelly).

Sans | 2275 comments Anyone have a favourite mulled/spiced wine recipe?

« previous 1 3 4