Looking for Alaska Looking for Alaska discussion

the great perhaps

Comments (showing 1-17 of 17) (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Audrey Looking for Alaska
the great perhaps (my definition):
its not a search or adventure,not a chance or luck, but i state of mind and self;
the great perhaps isn't a moment or a memory.
to me the great perhaps is when your life is just the way it feels like it was meant to be, it is that time in your life where you look back and see all the decisions you made and how they impacted your life and you wonder what you life could have been life (the perhaps) but you realize you dont care what it could have been like because you love your perfectly imperfect life! it isnt something you seek and i think Miles realizes that at the end. The Great Perhaps is contemptuousness. The Great Perhaps is a state of mind and self where you no longer wonder or dwell on the Perhapes, and you would rather be how you are now than question the Perhaps.

What do you think the Great Perhaps is?

message 2: by Nate (last edited Apr 01, 2011 09:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nate I think the Great Perhaps could be a turning point in your life. A point in which you realize that the things you once thought were so important don't really seem all that relevant anymore. Maybe it's the point of maturaity, maybe its the point of discovery of ones self, maybe its the point of understanding where we fit into this world, or maybe the Great Perhaps is never meant to be known.
Maybe we aren't suppose to live our lives in anticipation of a Great Prhaps, but rather live for each and every moment....

Edith Riegler Audrey wrote: "Looking for Alaska
its not a search or adventure,not a chance or luck, but i state of mind and self;
the great perhaps isn't a moment or a memory...."

dude, this is deep. and I'm gonna agree with you here

Emily I think that in life we have multiple great perhaps-es

Ridhi Vohra Great perhaps is the feeling of completeness. It may be in finding love, job, friend, success. It is a chance which led to the feeling of wholeness.

message 6: by Ramona (last edited Feb 26, 2012 02:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ramona Tudor ...i hope it's beautiful

This Great Perhaps we are talking about is something we ought to have, something we need and wish to achieve. I can guess that The Great Perhaps is indeed... just a Great Perhaps, perhaps we will, perhaps we are, perhaps we will do something. What makes it so great it's the fact that this Perhaps is ours/mine by definition. I have my own Great Perhaps, you have yours. It has a meaning of a life. We all seek for a Great Perhaps, whatever that is. Its main point is that it is Subjective.

Magshuff A Great Perhaps: In my mind, this is the small possibility that fate will give you exactly the right thing. So many people change themselves and their paths in hopes if ending in exactly where they want to be in umph number of years from now. But screwing with fate is not going to give you The Great Perhaps. Fate must choose you and lead the way through life's obstacles. You'll walk life blindly, and then, one day, fate will take your hand and guide you. It will take you somewhere. "I don't know where there is, but I believe it's somewhere, and I hope it's beautiful." That, I believe, is the Great Perhaps. Nothing more, nothing less.

Nickey Vu NO COMMENT

Michaela Francois Rabelais last words were "I go to seek a Great Perhaps". He said this at the end of his life. In the book, religion is pretty prominent. Did it ever occur to anyone else that they were trying to mean that the Great Perhaps meant heaven, or the afterlife, something like that.

Gëff Ebrada I think the Great Perhaps refer to something like a huge choice that you have to make that will either bring you happiness or sadness. Alaska's great perhaps is probably her death. She chose death (note: I strongly believe it was a suicide) as her solution because she thinks it's her great perhaps.

message 11: by Aria (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aria I think the great perhaps is the end were everything fits together and Is perfect but no one will ever reach the great perhaps because nothing is ever perfect and the end will never come because time is infinite. Even when the universe is destroyed time will not end and thus is the greatest mystery of life

message 12: by Aria (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aria The end is the great perhaps but the great perhaps will never be reached even though it is the main principle of human life. We develop new technology so future generations can use that technology to make more technology. For what? We are like kids trying to impress an adult we are constantly trying to prove how advanced and intelligent we are but why? We are just all here due to a strange concoction of certain atoms being in certain places causing a life form which spends the first 25 years of their lives trying to prepare ourselves for a future which we will spend earning money so our own children can continue the cycle just so the tiny little specks that are us can keep toddling along with our little lives in search of a great perhaps or perfect future that will never happen and the human race is only a tiny evnt in an infinite spam of existence that is time.

message 13: by Bernie (last edited Apr 30, 2014 12:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bernie Life is full of possibilities, there are thousands of different paths your life can take (the labyrinth), to me the Great Perhaps is finding the right/best one. Being the best version of yourself.

message 14: by Iga (new)

Iga Cydejko In my opinion Great Perhaps is something that will turn out the most important thing in your life : person, career, passion, thing, place. The feeling of finding that is amazing and defines your whole life. Great Perhaps is for the people, who are not scared of life and don't treat it too seriously.
I used to have this definition when I was 15 and it's still unchangeable. Still it is one of the most important quotes in my life, that I was even supposed to tattoo it.

Amalie To be quite honest, I believe that 'the great perhaps' can be whatever you want it to be. I don't think that there is an universal definition, and that you have to define it yourself. Or maybe not define it at all, just leave it be...

message 16: by June (new)

June Carlo Audrey wrote: "Looking for Alaska
the great perhaps isn't a moment or a memory.
to..."

too deep. but nevertheless best definiton

message 17: by Lucymay (new)

Lucymay I think a great perhaps is when you are exactly where you want to be and you have got there by working hard and changing your life drastically

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Looking for Alaska (other topics)