Karen Chance Fans discussion

The Characters > Dorina

Comments (showing 1-50 of 187) (187 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Enjee, Founder (new)

Enjee | 1193 comments Mod
Do you think the long-lived Dory has run into Pritkin sometime in the past?

Maeve O' Keeffe (Camogiefreak) | 798 comments That's funny, I was thinking about writing a story about that. I suppose it's possible, they both hunt monsters and Dory has clearly hunted demons from time to time. It would be cool if they had.

message 3: by Enjee, Founder (new)

I saw an outline for a Dory-Pritkin story a few months ago on a fanfiction author's page. I haven't seen a story yet, though.

Mel (mel_b) | 406 comments Did Dory hunt demons?

message 5: by Enjee, Founder (last edited Jan 28, 2011 03:03PM) (new)

(view spoiler)

Mel (mel_b) | 406 comments Oh yeah! Totally forgot.

Maeve O' Keeffe (Camogiefreak) | 798 comments And doesn't she say she ruined the floor in the house by leaving the severed head of some demon drip on it?

Mel (mel_b) | 406 comments Oh yeah! Ofcourse.

Josie | 664 comments AAAHHHHHH!!!! I've just finished the Dory stories (kinda rhymes) and they were brilliant! How does KC do it? Cassie and Dory are completely different main characters yet I love them both. And Louis-Cesare, sigh.
Death's Mistress was so good. It is one of my fav books, alongside whichever Cassie book is my favourite (CtD perhaps?). That is why KC is like my fav author.

Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ | 1165 comments Death's Mistress was very good indeed. Cassie and Dory are so alike and yet different. The only thing in DM that nagged me was that the culprid was too easy to identify from the start.

Maeve O' Keeffe (Camogiefreak) | 798 comments I'll admit, I didn't figure that out quite so quickly but I tend to speed read and without stopping to ponder the plot. And I love DM 'cause it's the first book that made me really, genuinely like Mircea's character. I never liked him as Cassie's love interest before it.

Stephanie Loss (supersteffy) | 136 comments Maeve wrote: "I'll admit, I didn't figure that out quite so quickly but I tend to speed read and without stopping to ponder the plot. And I love DM 'cause it's the first book that made me really, genuinely like ..."

I agree about not liking Mircea as much before the Dory books. I too figured out "Who Dunnit" early-ish on--and I'm not good at solving mysteries at all!

Marissa (Millionmph) | 74 comments I have to admit, one big reason I still haven't started the Dory books is my strong dislike for Mircea. But you all like him better after reading them?

Stephanie Loss (supersteffy) | 136 comments Yes...there is so much more to Mircea than you don't learn from Cassie's POV

Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ | 1165 comments He is a more devellopped character. Less misterious, you understand more what he does and why. Personally I found him more likable...but I am on team Pritkin.

Stephanie Loss (supersteffy) | 136 comments same.

Marissa (Millionmph) | 74 comments LOL Well, I don't think anything can sway me from Team Pritkin, but I just haven't been able to get myself to read the Dory books.

Josie | 664 comments It took a long time for me to pick up the Dory books for no particular reason. And I found I loved the series as much as the Cassie ones. Dory and Cassie are very different but you love them both. It also feels like you're almost getting a behind-the-scenes with Mircea. It was nice to get someone else's view of him.

Mel (mel_b) | 406 comments Marissa, no need to hesitate. You'll love Dorina and you'll love Mircea more, I'm sure.

message 20: by Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ (last edited Sep 13, 2010 06:37AM) (new)

Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ | 1165 comments The family theme is used all the time in books but the Dori ones have a refreshing take on it I think. He's no longer just the Senate negociator....he's almost human. That is the beauty of KC's writing. Like Pritkin at the beginning: you hate his guts until you get to know him.

I always saw Mircea in the Cassie books as good to look at, lust at but never to trust this self serving bastard. In the Dori books, you get another side of him that Cassie did not see. It's not the complete reversal as with Cassie/Pritkin but still.

Is there any other author or books that have us doing the 180 on a character? If you have suggestions, I'd like to know what to read after No Mercy.

Marissa (Millionmph) | 74 comments Okay everyone, thank you, I will move them to the top of my tbr pile and begin them next. But if I start having mushy "maybe Mircea isn't so bad for Cassie" feelings I'm dropping them on the spot. }:-)

Mel (mel_b) | 406 comments LOL. I'm still Camp Pritkin. But I don't want Mircea to be unhappy. That's a good compromise, right?
Keep us updated!

Rachel (RachelEB76) | 40 comments Marissa wrote: "Okay everyone, thank you, I will move them to the top of my tbr pile and begin them next. But if I start having mushy "maybe Mircea isn't so bad for Cassie" feelings I'm dropping them on the spot. ..."

I actually read MD first, before I read any of the Cassie books, and I think that added to my dislike of Mircea as a love interest for Cassie. I saw him first as this annoying father figure who was using his daughter a lot of the time ... then along he comes in the Cassie books, trying to control her sex life so she can be used as Pythia... I know I'm oversimplifying; he's not horrible. I like him a bit better after rereading the series. But that was my initial impression.

Kylie | 8 comments Valerie wrote: "The family theme is used all the time in books but the Dori ones have a refreshing take on it I think. He's no longer just the Senate negociator....he's almost human. That is the beauty of KC's wri..."

Well you've probably read these but the Fever series, Jericho starts out (well actually he never really stops but he grows on you) and the world's biggest ass. But everyone's crazy over him by book 4.

Also in the Shifter's series by Rachel Vincent, Faythe starts the series by beating up Marc.

Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ | 1165 comments Yeah, Jericho is a real ass and he never claimed to be anything else. Never read the Rachel Vincent books yet...I'll put it on my tbr pile.

Shelly | 2 comments Anyone know when and if a 3rd book is going to come out?

Mel (mel_b) | 406 comments There is a third book coming out. As far as I know, the when is not clear, but I think most probable would be the end of 2011.

Sarah (mahalcat) | 3 comments Shelly wrote: "Anyone know when and if a 3rd book is going to come out?"

I believe I read on Karen's site that her next book in the Cassandra Palmer series, Hunt The Moon, is coming out June 2011

message 29: by Mel (last edited Nov 29, 2010 02:23AM) (new)

Mel (mel_b) | 406 comments I think Shelly meant the next Dorina book. :)

Shelly | 2 comments Thank you Sarah and Mel for your helpful info! Sarah I am sorry for any confusion I was asking about the Dorina series. Mel thank you for the info! I will keep my eyes open for a date in 2011! Thank you!

Kayley (Kaci-Rose) | 9 comments Mel wrote:
Oooh Kayley, come and chat at the Dory thread, I wonder what you mean by LC not liking Dory the dhampir!

Well in the beginning of midnights daughter he doesn't like dory because she's a dhampir, he is shocked when he thinks mircea has a sexual relationship with dory then is even more shocked to find out shes his daughter. Then doesn't like that Mircea doesn't want him to kill her.
Then when their on the plane going off to meet up at the poetry/ tattoo place, they end up fighting and getting up close and personal she's says something and he says "I will not be mastered, manipulated or controlled by a... Dhampir" he finally said , his voice rough. "regardless of her
parentage"" she doesn't particularly like him very much either but there is some hot sexual chemistry going on lol.

Mel (mel_b) | 406 comments Theres tons in the second book too but LC doesn't particularly like dory the "damphir" in this one but is still attracted lol.

Oh okay, now I get what you meant.
Yeah, I loved the tension between him and Dory. How they went from hate, reluctantly be attracted to each other, to have respect and affection for each other.
The tension was different in DM. I wonder what will happen in the third book!

Kayley (Kaci-Rose) | 9 comments I agree it's different in DM which is one of the reasons I prefer MD lol. But I love anything dory and Louis Cesare. And mel I hope your right bout the third book.

Mel (mel_b) | 406 comments I hope there is some angst. It was a bit too fast too easy for my taste in DM. Afterall, both LC and Dorina have their own demons and commitment issues to battle. LC has that whole 'never been loved' thing going on. It can't be that easy!

Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ | 1165 comments Maybe her fey wine drinking habits will get her into trouble...with a certain fey (not sure she would go there or that LC would get jealous or anything).

Mel (mel_b) | 406 comments Oh I'm sure LC would get jealous! Don't you remember the big fight at Radu's house? Loved that scene!

Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ | 1165 comments One thing I do not recall is what happened to Thomas? I mean he was LC pet sidekick for the first two Cassie books and we know what follows with Day of the Dead.

When the two Dorina books takes place....is he still in fairie? I mean he does not feature in any of those and if Thomas was still under LC's influence...he would have to come 'help' LC right?

message 38: by Mel (last edited Dec 02, 2010 08:05AM) (new)

Mel (mel_b) | 406 comments Day of the Dead takes place in October. Dorina's books take place around July and August. So by that time Tomas was either still in Faerie or just left it (I can't recall how long ago he had left Faerie in DotD).

I think LC needs to actively call out for Tomas for him to come and help him (especially since he hates his guts). I wonder if LC can pick up on the fact that Tomas is back in the regular world. I bet he can, LC is the wonderchild afterall :)

So my guess is: by the time of DM, Tomas was still in Faerie.
KC has said we'll see him in upcoming Cassie books. I wonder if those books will also feature Dorina and LC... :)

Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ | 1165 comments Well, Cassie did find a photo album of Dorina in Mircea's room in CtD. I would think it is a forgone conclusion that they would meet some time in the future.

Mel (mel_b) | 406 comments That's for sure. I hope it's sooner rather than later :)

Charlotte | 12 comments I think she might have, you have a good point there he is very old and so is she for that matter. Their paths were bound to cross at some right?

Kat | 237 comments It would be fun what happens when both of them meet. I can just imagine... "You're his wife!!" "You're his daughter!!" as both turn to glare at Mircea, with Pritkin in the background looking amused and Mircea looking rather tense....lol

message 43: by Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ (last edited Dec 03, 2010 07:39AM) (new)

Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ | 1165 comments Or Dory blacks out in one of her fit of rage. Mircea desperately trying to restrain her from behind. Pritkin in between her and Cassie doing what he does best, angry war mage, and Cassie looking clueless about her vampire husband trying to protect his daughter from getting herself killed by Pritkin while Mircea explaining that with fey wine...her fits should be under control.

Maeve O' Keeffe (Camogiefreak) | 798 comments Hilarity ensues.

message 45: by Enjee, Founder (new)

Hmmmm...this time last year we were all waiting anxiously for Death's Mistress (Dorina Basarab, #2) by Karen Chance.

For me, having a new Karen Chance book to look forward to on the other side of the holidays made the season a little more bearable.
*sigh*
Too bad we can't say that this year.

Maeve O' Keeffe (Camogiefreak) | 798 comments I know what you mean. *deeper sigh*

Aori Hanazari | 64 comments I hope that Dory and Cassie will meet up in Hunt the Moon...Cassie is going to his court, right? And Dory will be around the court too, right? Right? Ahh! I am so excited!

Jessica E (jlovett87) | 64 comments I am so glad that you all think Cassie and Dory will meet sometime. I hope they get along because if Mircea has to choose it will be Dory he will pick.

Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ | 1165 comments Really? Dory is in great hands (Louis-Cesar). Why would Mircea choose?

Josie | 664 comments Yeah I don't think he'd abandon either of them, both of them are pretty good assets and besides Mircea loves them both- he said it himself, fam's very important. He's a sneaky devil, he'd make sure they were both looked after, since even though he didn't see Dory that often, he still made sure she was alright (photos in CtD).

« previous 1 3 4