Book freaks discussion

Your latest book purchase!

Comments (showing 51-100 of 580) (580 new)    post a comment »

Glennis Ashley wrote: "I am actually refraining from buying any books. It is my personal goal to not buy any books until I have read most or all of the books on my shelf. So far I'm doing good but may slip because there ..."

I admire your strength! That takes care of pleasure reading...but then there are those educational varieties of books...cook books...there's never-ending justification! ☺

Glennis In the meanwhile, I'm incorrigible! I was hunting for What Horses Reveal  From First Encounter to Friend for Life by Klaus Ferdinand Hempfling...Anazon had some...starting at $494. That's right...no decimal points! Then I ran a general search and found one at a Tack shop...$38 incl. shipping, on it's way to my house... I suppose it would still have been there later, but that's ok. I could really use it!

Niamh (NiamhC) | 6 comments Sandy wrote: "i not purchased but borrowed from library Girl with a Pearl Earring
The Alchemist
Little Women
Love in the Time of Cholera"

Hated The Alchemist but noticed it was number 28 on the best read list! am i missing something? Already read Little Women and Good Wives but am planning on starting from the beginning and reading all four in the series, just downloaded them on the kindle. Also just downloaded and planning on reading Vanity Fair.

Eden (Tsalagi_Writer) | 29 comments My most recent purchase was from my library's bookstore and I bought:

Hunters of the Dusk
Allies of the Night
Killers of the Dawn
Lord of the Shadows
Sons of Destiny

A few months ago I had also purchased the first six books from my library of the Cirque du Freak series and now I have almost all of them, but only need number 10. My library's bookstore didn't have that one anymore.

Don Ariff (sarcasmist) | 141 comments nada wrote: "Don wrote: "nada wrote: "i just bought The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg LarssonThe Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium, #2) by Stieg LarssonThe Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larssonc..."

Thanks Nada XD

Mellie Dumas (abitofyou) | 9 comments Don wrote: "nada wrote: "Don wrote: "nada wrote: "i just bought The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg LarssonThe Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium, #2) by Stieg Larsson[bookcover:The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's N..."

amazing series! I actually heard that Stieg Larsson started writing book 5 before he died. I was watching a documentary and his girlfriend claimed that he said book 4 was too boring so started with 5. I wonder if they will get another author to write 4 and polish up 5....

Deborah (DeborahKliegl) Treated myself to a bookstore run today. My excuse - I had 2 gift cards from Xmas. Bought all nonfiction which is a very big departure for me. They are: The Remarkable Miss Highsmith (biography), The Mystery of Lewis Carroll (biography), and As Always Julia (letters of Julia Child). Usually I hit fiction.

Don Ariff (sarcasmist) | 141 comments Mellie wrote: "Don wrote: "nada wrote: "Don wrote: "nada wrote: "i just bought The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg LarssonThe Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium, #2) by Stieg Larsson[bookcover:The Girl Who Kicked th..."

On a scale of 1-10...where would you rate this series?

message 60: by Cindy (last edited Feb 16, 2011 12:02PM) (new)

Cindy (cindysue48) I've recently purchased: I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore, Switched (Trylle Trilogy, #1) by Amanda Hocking, Hollowland by Amanda Hocking, Portal (Portal Chronicles, #1) by Imogen Rose, and The American Book of the Dead by Henry Baum all for my Kindle. (The last 4 are only $1 right now if you happen to have an e-reader - they don't stay at that price)

Brandt I just bought and read (at record speed, i think :) Patrick Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind, amazing book that kept me up all night, cant wait for the sequel, its out in a couple of weeks time..
In the mean time im reading The lies of Locke Lamora, but it havent really catched on yet..

Clara | 15 comments I just bought Chosenby Chandra Hoffman, Thorns of Truthby Eileen Goudge, Apologize, Apologize!by Elizabeth Kelly, The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova and The Other Mr. Darcy: Did you know Mr. Darcy had an American cousin? by Monica Fairview. I just could not help myself. Today is half price at the thrift shop near me. I just don't know when I'll get to read them since I have hundreds of books on TBR.

Glennis Laci arrived this week, and was read in the space of a day (home, sick), We the Jury arrived the following day, and it fits perfectly right behind Laci. I think I'm in as far as Chapter 4...and I'm still home with a fever. Sometimes, things work out nicely! *snicker*

message 64: by [deleted user] (new)

Violet | 164 comments I recently bought The Mortal Instruments:City Of Bones
and i just finished reading it....its fantastic

message 66: by Becky (last edited Feb 18, 2011 03:15AM) (new)

Becky (beckyaaarrhhhclarke) | 8 comments Rajneesh wrote: "Truly, Madly, Deeply.
I bought this book and read it on the same day. Loved it."

Thank you! I now have the motivation to pick up the copy I received in the post Monday and open it :)

Jennifer | 6 comments There's a book shop at my uni and I don't do psychology but in that section they had a book on my list of books to get, which is Delirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver!

Cecilie (cecili2424) | 8 comments My resent purchase, was these Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1) by Rachel Hawkins Witch & Wizard  The New Order by James Patterson The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset by Suzanne Collins I am currently reading; Witch & Wizard, and the others I just read

message 69: by Sille (last edited Feb 19, 2011 05:55AM) (new)

Sille (sssiiillleee) I guess I'm correct if I tell the last book I bought was The Ambassador's Mission (Traitor Spy Trilogy, #1) by Trudi Canavan. Thought I'd wait for paperback, but nah. :D
Before that, I think, I bought all the 6 Vampire Academy books (made a huge bite into my pocket-money).
I almost bought Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver yesterday but then reminded myself that I'm supposed to collect money for this summer's trip to Turkey, and didn't buy it. Oh, oh. But I did get my mom a Knitting Book for her upcoming birthday. :D So... ups. :D
But since I'm collecting (or trying to collect) money now, I have only a brief list of books I'm going to purchase before June. (And I'm really hard trying to stick to this plan. There are only 2, really: The Gathering (Darkness Rising, #1) by Kelley Armstrong and Waking The Witch (Women of the Otherworld, #11) by Kelley Armstrong (paperbacks in April). Otherwise it'd be 2-3 books a month.
And then I recently got a signed Fire Study (Study, #3) by Maria V. Snyder as well, although I didn't exactly purchase it.

Lydia Smedry (HeIsMySou-chan) I just bought Alcatraz versus the shattered lens which by the way is an awesome book!

Elizabeth (eruuska) My most recent purchases were Joanne Fluke's Sugar Cookie Murder, Cherry Cheesecake Murder, Peach Cobbler Murder, Fudge Cupcake Murder, And and edition from E. M. Forster of A Room with a View and Howard's End. All came from a used book store near Purdue University. My book wants far exceed my budget.

But on Tuesday I am SO in line for Pale Demon by Kim Harrison, the latest Rachel Morgan installment.

Jennifer Dallman | 3 comments I recently bought Blue is for Nightmares and The Forever War (at the urging of my father)

Mackenzie | 6 comments I've been trying to go tot he library and borrow books of late since it's been getting so expensive... (even though my last purchase was about 2 weeks ago) I bought the Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff which was a very interesting storyline. Not my favorite but by far not bad.

Mackenzie | 6 comments Elizabeth wrote: "My most recent purchases were Joanne Fluke's Sugar Cookie Murder, Cherry Cheesecake Murder, Peach Cobbler Murder, Fudge Cupcake Murder, And and edition from E. M. Forster of A Room with a View and ..."

Loved blue is for nightmares!

Jill Henson (jillylilly) Beastly..in prep for March's monthly read!!!!

Andria | 4 comments I recently purchased:
Tinkers by Paul   Harding Little Bee by Chris Cleave

message 77: by Ellen (last edited Feb 19, 2011 06:24PM) (new)

Ellen Maze (ellenmaze) | 19 comments I've been buying a lot of kindle books that Kindle Nation recommends. Let's see if I can show you some covers:
Feckless  Tales of Supernatural, Paranormal, and Downright Presumptuous Ilk (Volume 1) by Ellen C. Maze UR by Stephen King Take the Monkeys and Run (Barbara Marr Murder Mystery, #1) by Karen Cantwell Whisper A Scream by Pete Turner U-TURN KiLLuR by Teric Darken The Blood Moon of Winter by Courtney Conant
And that's just a few! I have a lot to read! LOL!

Melissa | 14 comments BORDERS IS CLOSING!!! MY LIFE IS OVER!!! I LOVE THAT STORE!!!
but hey, I got some great deals on...
-Belle of the Brawl
-My Little Phony
-A Tale of Two Pretties
...all by Lisi Harrison. Luh-v you, dahhhling!

Melissa | 14 comments Mackenzie wrote: "I've been trying to go tot he library and borrow books of late since it's been getting so expensive... (even though my last purchase was about 2 weeks ago) I bought the Replacement by Brenna Yovano..."

Is it scary? I read the back and it seemed like it would be...

Melissa | 14 comments Don wrote: "Mellie wrote: "Don wrote: "nada wrote: "Don wrote: "nada wrote: "i just bought The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg LarssonThe Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium, #2) by Stieg Larsson[bookcover:The Gir..."

Not high. maybe 3. I couldn't get past the 150th page. 100 was kinda pushin' it...maybe it's just 'cuz I'm a teenager (doubtful) but it did not interest me. The characters were realistic...but almost too much-they seemed like average middle-class Americans (or Swedes, but hey, we're all people) and I didn't want a book about my mom, or my English teacher, or my banker, or the mailman. Sorry if this offends a fanatic...I'm just throwin' that out there for those of us who are not of the masses.

Eden (Tsalagi_Writer) | 29 comments My latest purchase was Paranormal State: My Journey into the Unknown by Ryan Buell. Can't wait to read it!

Ear00987616 | 3 comments Dalia wrote: "A Discovery of Witches. Deborah Harkness by Deborah Harkness

I just bought this book and I'm very excited bout reading it :D"

I just bought that book too!!! It is such a good book I can't put it down :)

Lori (LoriBogenreif) | 16 comments Like Ellen, I have a large number of books to read on my Kindle. My most recent purchases were Prodigal Son, The Life of Abraham Lincoln, and The Book Thief.

Sarah (Jazz626) | 15 comments 1.Dark Lover
2. Beastly
3.Sabriel
4. Pretty Little Liars
5. Delirium
6.Once in a Full Moon
7.Fallen Angel
8.Fallen

Cesya (cesya_marae) | 15 comments Numbers (Numbers, #1) by Rachel Ward Kiss of Life (Generation Dead, #2) by Daniel Waters Passing Strange (Generation Dead, #3) by Daniel Waters. I'm currently reading the first book and I'm loving it!

☆♥Starzee♥☆ | 61 comments I bought these today

Matched (Matched, #1) by Ally Condie Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1) by Beth Revis

Kristina (letsgotowonderland) The last books that I bought were 3 books by Terry Pratchett. Eric, Sorcery and Monstorus Regiment. They're part of the Discworld series. I've already read one of them and am in the process of reading the second one now =].

message 88: by Ebony(poppyyukia) (last edited Feb 19, 2011 11:42PM) (new)

Ebony(poppyyukia) (poppyY) | 265 comments I just bought The BFG
Beautiful Creatures
The Night Before The Tooth Fairy(the last one is a children's book)

Lovisa (laurelnquist) I ordered Things: A Story of the Sixties; A Man Asleep a couple of days ago, I'm really looking forward to read it!

message 91: by Niamh (last edited Feb 20, 2011 06:44AM) (new)

Niamh (NiamhC) | 6 comments Melissa wrote: "Don wrote: "Mellie wrote: "Don wrote: "nada wrote: "Don wrote: "nada wrote: "i just bought The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg LarssonThe Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium, #2) by Stieg Larsson[bookc..."

Maybe keep them for when you get a bit older! you never no they might interest you then. A lot of reviewers have said that they found the first half of the girl with the dragon tattoo hard going, as you probably can tell i am a fanatic so i loved all three!!

Cecilie (cecili2424) | 8 comments I just bought Eragon, Eldest & Brisingr (Inheritance, #1-3) by Christopher Paolini Yesterday!

Izzy  (crazyboutFAYZ) Maximum Ride: Angel!!!!!!!!!!!!! - James Patterson.

message 94: by Caroline (last edited Feb 20, 2011 07:07AM) (new)

Caroline (Pip_squeak) My latest purchase is a used copy of went to see the muscial on tuesday evening in London & wanted my own copy of the book!!Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West

message 95: by Ebony(poppyyukia) (last edited Feb 20, 2011 02:43PM) (new)

Ebony(poppyyukia) (poppyY) | 265 comments Caroline wrote: "My latest purchase is a used copy of went to see the muscial on tuesday evening in London & wanted my own copy of the book!!Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West"

I loved that book! Great buy! I plan on rereading it soon!

Angelic | 5 comments Mmmm...Unearthly! Very interesting, i'm a believer so it got me curious! Cheking on angels now! Hahaha!
Have the Hunger Games. Ummm.. I don't know. Still deciding if i'm going to read it.

☆♥Starzee♥☆ | 61 comments Angelica wrote: "Mmmm...Unearthly! Very interesting, i'm a believer so it got me curious! Cheking on angels now! Hahaha!
Have the Hunger Games. Ummm.. I don't know. Still deciding if i'm going to read it."

When I got The Hunger Games I was indecisive about reading it. But then one day I finally pickedit up and before I knew it I'd read the whole thing. It was awesome and I almost kicked myself for putting it off for solong

Nicole (ncuff) | 10 comments My latest books added to my collection!

What the Night Knows by Dean Koontz Odd Hours (Odd Thomas, #4) by Dean Koontz The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset by Suzanne Collins

Lori (LoriBogenreif) | 16 comments I bought The Hunger Games for my 12-year-old son on a recommendation from another parent. I found the book in his room, unread, a couple weeks later and finished it within two days. I love the trilogy and would recommend it to everyone!

Cassie | 30 comments I just bought Beastly on a trip to Walmart to buy cake mix for my sister. Funny how I left the store with a book and no cake mix.