Karen Chance Fans discussion

Series Discussions > Time Twists the Plot...

Comments (showing 51-100 of 158) (158 new)    post a comment »

message 51: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Loss (supersteffy) | 136 comments I'd forgotten that she goes back a third time...I'm REALLY not on top of my game lately!

message 52: by Mai (new)

Mai (soulfulspike) | 824 comments I remember all that. I just don't know who Jim Morrison is.

message 53: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Loss (supersteffy) | 136 comments Jim Morrison? I don't know either...

message 54: by Mai (new)

Mai (soulfulspike) | 824 comments Then where's the Jim Morrison reference. Ich bin confused!

message 55: by Mel (new)

Mel (mel_b) | 406 comments You girls knew the Serbian scientist but you don't know Jim Morisson?!?!

message 56: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Loss (supersteffy) | 136 comments Not by name...If he's an actor I might recognize a picture of something...

message 57: by Mel (last edited Sep 10, 2010 02:38PM) (new)

Mel (mel_b) | 406 comments Jim Morrison was the infamous lead singer of The Doors. Val Kilmer used to look like him (he played Morrison in the biopic).

message 58: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Loss (supersteffy) | 136 comments AH.

message 59: by Sarah ~Sehrenity~ (last edited Sep 10, 2010 03:12PM) (new)

Sarah ~Sehrenity~ | 64 comments Mel wrote: "You girls knew the Serbian scientist but you don't know Jim Morisson?!?!"

Scary, isn't it? I would've though everyone knew Jim Morrison.

And Maeve, Jim Morrison was the second ghost in the cemetery while Cassie and Pritkin were dodging mages in the beginning of...crap. Help me out here, Mel. Which book?

Sarah ~Sehrenity~ | 64 comments Hah! It was EtN.

“Then maybe you can tell me how many people are out there?”
Another ghost drifted up, wearing only a pair of low-rise blue jeans. He looked vaguely familiar, with shoulder-length brown hair, classic features and a slightly petulant pout. “About a dozen. They just shot up my ugly-ass memorial.”

message 61: by Mel (new)

Mel (mel_b) | 406 comments LOL, maybe we're too old Sarah. Although Morrison was waaaaay before both of our times ;)

Who was the first ghost again? Did we know him?

message 62: by Sarah ~Sehrenity~ (last edited Sep 10, 2010 03:33PM) (new)

Sarah ~Sehrenity~ | 64 comments I was thinking she said Oscar Wilde, but I may just be imagining that. It was a quiz question for her contest at one time. Maybe it's still in the news somewhere...

Edited: Yes. Oscar Wilde. He and Morrison both have monuments in Pere Lachaise Cemetery in Paris. And Morrison died in '71, so it was before our times! :)

message 63: by Mel (new)

Mel (mel_b) | 406 comments It does ring a bell. I think you're right!

So many real life cameos. So far (not counting the Basarabs, LC or Myrdin): Oscar Wilde, Jim Morrison, Elvis, Cleopatra, Marc Anthony, Shakespeare, Bram Stoker, Rafael, Jack the Ripper...
I'm forgetting someone...

message 64: by Enjee, Founder (new)

Enjee | 1197 comments Mod
Kit Marlowe, Casanova,

message 65: by Kat (new)

Kat | 237 comments I think her meeting Hipolyta would be interesting..the discussions she could have with the leader of the Amazons

message 66: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Loss (supersteffy) | 136 comments Mel wrote: "It does ring a bell. I think you're right!

So many real life cameos. So far (not counting the Basarabs, LC or Myrdin): Oscar Wilde, Jim Morrison, Elvis, Cleopatra, Marc Anthony, Shakespeare, Br..."

Dracula.

message 67: by Kat (new)

Kat | 237 comments yep

message 68: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Loss (supersteffy) | 136 comments Oh, sorry, not the Basarabs... *Blushes sheepishly*

message 69: by Mel (new)

Mel (mel_b) | 406 comments I put the Basarabs, Merlin and LC seperately because they are real people in time who have been mystified (like Dracula and Casanova) and made into personalities whereas Kit Marlowe, Marc Anthony already were.

message 70: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Loss (supersteffy) | 136 comments I don't know if this guy is what you're looking for or not but...

EtN p. 75

message 71: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Loss (supersteffy) | 136 comments Sorry...forgot to type his name *slaps forehead*

Emile Deschamps and Monsieur de Fortgibu

message 72: by Mai (new)

Mai (soulfulspike) | 824 comments Oh, that's who they were supposed to be! I totally missed that. I guessed they were referring to someone but I hadn't a clue who and I never bothered to check. That's awesome though.

message 73: by Enjee, Founder (new)

Maeve wrote: "She made a slight reference to Shakespeare, that he was just a front for Marlowe. Elvis has been done as a zombie. Churchill? Marilyn Monroe? Julius Caesar?"

Just found a reference to Michelangelo ("..[Tony] has been around long enough to remember drinking Michelangelo under the table.")

message 74: by Mai (new)

Mai (soulfulspike) | 824 comments I wonder why he didn't get added to the collection. Oh, you know who I'd love to see? Machievelli! Or maybe one of those old popes who really used to method act those 7 deadlys!

message 75: by Enjee, Founder (new)

Speaking of famous dead people we might come across in a Cassie Palmer book...how about legendary prognosticator Michel de Nostredame (also known as Nostradamus)?
If Masks takes place in Renaissance-era city of Venice, then this famous guy might show up.

message 76: by Mai (new)

Mai (soulfulspike) | 824 comments Oh, that would be awesome!!

message 77: by Enjee, Founder (last edited Dec 27, 2010 06:40PM) (new)

Yes...this could be interesting...Cassie and Nostradamus could compare notes, since they are both "seers".
Or maybe Nostradamus actually learns of the future because Cassie accidentally lets him know too much during a shift to the past.

message 78: by Mai (new)

Mai (soulfulspike) | 824 comments Hmmmm, interesting possibilities. Do you think she could actually end up in Ancient Greece or Rome? I love mythology. Which reminds me, I would love to see Cassie and Pritkin pay a visit to Ireland. Because Irish peoples be crazy! Which you'd never have figured out by yourself, I'm sure.

message 79: by Rachel (last edited Dec 27, 2010 02:44PM) (new)

Rachel (RachelEB76) | 40 comments But crazy in a wacky, fun way! (not that I know hundreds of Irish people...)

message 80: by Mai (new)

Mai (soulfulspike) | 824 comments Here's a lil slice of Ireland for yez: Horse Outside This is a spoof but it pretty much sums up the Irish sense of humour. Not for the easily offended. Cookies for anyone who can actually understand what's being said.

message 81: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 70 comments Ha! Filthy. The Mitsubishi guy was kinda nice-lookin'!

message 82: by Mai (new)

Mai (soulfulspike) | 824 comments Wasn't he just?

message 83: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 70 comments ;)

message 84: by Mai (new)

Mai (soulfulspike) | 824 comments That's Limerick city!!

message 85: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 70 comments Bahhhh hah hah hah!!!

Ohhh, atrocious.

message 86: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (Kurosymph) | 136 comments Ms Chance said Ming-de was a real Ming princess. I didn't find her personally but the Ming Dynasty'reign over China lasted from 1368 to 1644.

That makes her pretty young compared to Anthony or the Consul and open possibilities for the other consuls.

Maybe Sundiata Keita?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sundiata...

btw, is Marco, like in, Marco Polo?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marco_Polo

message 87: by Mai (new)

Mai (soulfulspike) | 824 comments Hmmm. I'd say we'd have got more hints about it if he was. But let's just add it to the list of questions.

message 88: by The Flooze (last edited Dec 30, 2010 12:35PM) (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 70 comments I think there would be more clues. Also, someone of Marco Polo's age and status would probably have risen in the vampire ranks much more than our Marco. I'm inclined to say no. Also, I hope not every one of these characters ends up being an historical figure. That would get far too overwhelming and kitschy!

message 89: by Somnium (new)

Somnium Shadows | 437 comments I agree. I think I prefer Marco just being...well...Marco ;D

message 90: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Davie (kathydavie) | 468 comments Sarah ~Sehrenity~ wrote: "I was thinking she said Oscar Wilde, but I may just be imagining that. It was a quiz question for her contest at one time. Maybe it's still in the news somewhere...

Edited: Yes. Oscar Wilde. He..."

Oh, you young puppies!

message 91: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Davie (kathydavie) | 468 comments Mel wrote: "It does ring a bell. I think you're right!

So many real life cameos. So far (not counting the Basarabs, LC or Myrdin): Oscar Wilde, Jim Morrison, Elvis, Cleopatra, Marc Anthony, Shakespeare, Br..."

Wait...where was Shakespeare??

message 92: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Davie (kathydavie) | 468 comments Kat wrote: "I think her meeting Hipolyta would be interesting..the discussions she could have with the leader of the Amazons"

They'd make great trainers for Cassie...maybe they could teach her not to scream so much!

message 93: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Davie (kathydavie) | 468 comments Nah, there is no way that Marco is Marco Polo even with the cheesy Italian accent. I can't imagine an explorer and adventurer like Polo sliding that far down the scale as to ape the Godfather.

message 94: by Lannister, Lady 'Popcorn' Marlowe (new)

Lannister (lannisteruk) | 11258 comments Mod
Kathy wrote: "Wait...where was Shakespeare?? "

The only mention I caught of Shakespeare was that after Marlowe was supposed to have 'died', he continued to write plays under the name of Shakespeare. (There is an actual conspiracy theory out here in meatspace that Shakespeare was really written by Christopher Marlowe). Afterwards, Marlowe got bored with plays and turned to spying.

I agree with Somnium. I want Marco to just be Marco.

message 95: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Davie (kathydavie) | 468 comments I had read something, somewhere that the real, historical Marlowe had been a spy for Queen Elizabeth.

message 96: by Lannister, Lady 'Popcorn' Marlowe (new)

Lannister (lannisteruk) | 11258 comments Mod
Yeah, that's true Kathy. What an interesting life he had!

message 97: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Davie (kathydavie) | 468 comments LOL, I suspect part of his reasoning was to have his bar tab paid for by someone else!

message 98: by Enjee, Founder (new)

Reposting an idea from the TV & Movie thread...

Spartacus's body was reportedly never found. I suspect he was made a vampire.
Perhaps he is the vampire that "fathered" Julius Cesar, who in turn "fathered" Cleopatra and Anthony.
And another tidbit...Spartacus' wife was a prophetess of the Maedi tribe. Such a vampire might show great interest in a current generation seer like Cassie.
Perhaps we will see Spartacus the vampire in a future Cassie book.

message 99: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 6414 comments has there been any kind of mention in the Cassie books at all? I mean we have greek mythology... but roman mythology has barely been touched on. Granted it's a mirror of each other, but still...

Although Marco... there could be something there.

message 100: by Somnium (last edited Mar 27, 2013 07:23AM) (new)

Somnium Shadows | 437 comments Enjee wrote: "Reposting an idea from the TV & Movie thread...

Spartacus's body was reportedly never found. I suspect he was made a vampire.
Perhaps he is the vampire that "fathered" Julius Cesar, who in turn "f..."

Hmm, that all depends on Spartacus and Julius Cesar both becoming master vampires (and so able to create more vampires) very quickly. Doesn't it normally take at least a few decades?

Zeenat wrote: "has there been any kind of mention in the Cassie books at all? I mean we have greek mythology... but roman mythology has barely been touched on. Granted it's a mirror of each other, but still...

A..."

I don't think it's been mentioned much, only that most of the gods in Roman mythology were the same as the Greek gods, just under different names (i.e. Ares was Mars), and the same with Egyptian and Norse mythology. And Incan. And Aztec. And probably just about all other main ancient mythologies. But other than that, no, I don't think there's been anything.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Masks (other topics)