Young Adult Book Club discussion

Comments (showing 1-19 of 19) (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

Angie | 2677 comments Mod
Anyone have any favorite classic YA books? I am trying to read some, and about to start with Peter Pan. Any other suggestions?

Sandi (Sandikal) Little Women

Where the Red Fern Grows

A Wrinkle in Time

The Catcher in the Rye (I've forgotten this one, needs a re-read.)

The Outsiders

Huckleberry Finn

message 3: by Lisa (last edited Jun 25, 2008 05:30PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) OH gosh. Do I feel old.

A Wrinkle in Time came out when I was 9 and my fourth grade teacher read it to our class. It's been a favorite ever since.

I also love The Catcher in the Rye.

Also, this is more a kids' book but I still love Little Women.

A Separate Peace was a favorite of mine when I was a teen.

Hard for me to tell the difference between kids, ya, adult.

My favorite book when I was 12 was To Kill a Mockingbird.

This could be a long list for ya:

Homecoming by Cynthia Voigt is another one I like.

One of my favorite adult novels that could be consider ya is Into the Forest by Jean Hegland.

And I loved Life as We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer.

Sandi (Sandikal) I'd throw "To Kill a Mockingbird" on the list. It's not really a young adult novel, but it's a great book that young people love.

And, I don't think a book has to be old to be a classic. I think classics are timeless books that speak to young people about things that are important. They're not literary crack; they make you think and teach you about the important things in life.

Claire | 8 comments Oh, I'll second Homecoming by Cynthia Voigt. That made a huge impression on me when I first read it.

Anne of Green Gables is more a children's classic than YA, but it's certainly worth checking out if you haven't read it.

message 6: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

I am also going to try to re-read the Secret Garden. I know that is also more children's classic but sometimes I do think that children's classics mixes with YA classics. I also want to read To Kill a Mockingbird and then watch the movie. I hear the movie is excellent as well.

Sandi (Sandikal) Many classic children's books were written at a reading level that would be considered young adult today. Of course, a hundred years ago, an eighth grade education was a complete education. Children were reading very difficult material at an early age. "The Secret Garden" was written for 9-11 year olds, but the reading level is more like a high school level by today's standards.

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) Angie, To Kill a Mockingbird: The movie came out when I was around 9 and I saw it with my parents and then I read the book when I was 12. They're both amazingly good. The story takes place in the 1930s so it's a period piece even more now, but it was then as well; you'll enjoy the story more if you remember that it takes place in the 1930s. Yes, I'd read the book first and then see the movie, even though I did it the other way around.

message 9: by Rachel (last edited Jun 28, 2008 12:12PM) (new)

Rachel (petalpower) | 1 comments How about ... Island of the Blue Dolphins ?

To Kill a Mockingbird is also one of my favorites.

Ann | 177 comments Some of my favorites would be:
L. M. Montgomery's books: The Anne of Green Gables series, or the Emily books.

Louisa May Alcott's Little Women, or the Rose books.

Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House books.

Um...

I guess those would be the ones that come to mind initially... I'll have to see if I find others on my shelf;)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) I would put "To Kill a Mockingbird" on the top of the list.

message 12: by Kathryn (last edited Feb 26, 2009 01:16PM) (new)

Kathryn | 60 comments Alice in Wonderland a definite classic though not really one of my favorites

Mary Poppins -- haven't read it yet

Ballet Shoes and anything else by
Noel S.!

Anything by Roald Dahl

I'm not sure how far back you are thinking in regards to "classics"??? I'm sure I'll think of some more...

PETER PAN is one of my favorites! ENJOY! :-)

Ann | 177 comments Ah! I love Whinnie the Pooh!

Kathryn | 60 comments Ah, yes, Pooh-Bear is a MUST!

message 15: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

Whinnie the Pooh is such a classic for kids. Has anyone seen the new cartoon? I happened to catch it recently when I was baby-sitting my cousin (she is 1) and it is way different. There is a kid in it now (not Christopher Robin) and they ride around on skateboards. Kinda different for the new generation of kids watching.

Ann | 177 comments Wow! No, I haven't seen that Pooh show before! It's hard for me to warm up to anything Pooh other than the books and the initial Disney animated shows, simply because that's what I grew up with and watched gazillion of times over! lol! I'm sure there's other versions that are just as good and worthy, they just don't have the same feeling for me (if that makes since).
I will say that I really like the ride they created for Disney. I only wish it lasts longer!:D

Kaity (i-love-books-because-reasons) | 6 comments Anne of Green Gables
The Story Girl
Kilmeny of the Orchard
Little house On the Prairie

Deborah | 234 comments All Quiet on the Western Front loved it, would never have picked it up if it wasn't a class assignment

Bless Me, Ultima ditto, I remember crying.

Secret Garden, Little Women, Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre, The Outsiders, Wrinkle in Time...

Maia (fantasticbooks22) | 2 comments If you haven't read 1984, you should because IT'S SO GOOD!!!!!!