Urban Fantasy discussion

BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS > Looking for Recommendations: Vampire Books for Adults

Comments (showing 1-48 of 48) (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 26, 2010 01:20AM) (new)

I have posted the below elsewhere on goodreads, but without much feedback. I hope that this group has some good suggestions!

Nowadays, most vampire books that I know of, have been written for (mainly) the YA reader in mind. I don't find that subgenre that interesting or rewarding (generally spreaking) so I was wondering if you can recommend vampire books that fall outside the Twilight- and Vampire Diaries-sagas.

Adult vampire books that I can recommend are:

I Am Legend by Richard Matherson
Interview With the Vampire by Anne Rice

Many thanks in advance! :-)

Melodie (MelodieCO) Have you read The Strain (The Strain Trilogy, #1) by Guillermo Del Toro by Guillermo Del Toro? I haven't read it, but from what I've heard about it you'd probably like it if you liked I AM LEGEND, which I despised.

Julia | 583 comments I read I Am Legend a few years ago and Interview With the Vampireabout thirty years ago when it first came out.

I haven't gotten around to The Strainor The Passage yet, but both are supposed to be very good.

See if Chelsea Quinn Yarbro's vampire who she has been writing about before Anne Rice's vampire series began is to your taste. Count Saint Germain is a 4,000 year old vampire who has lived in many times and places and learned to try to blend in, as much as he can. Out of the House of Life is set in ancient Egypt and when the first French Egyptologists were discovering what was in the pyramids in the early 19th century, but a reader can start anywhere with this series.

Joseph  (BlueManticore) | 127 comments If you want vampires, I have several series that star, or at least feature them, to recommend. Check out:
Patricia Briggs’s Mercy Thompson series
Laurell K. Hamilton’s Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter
Faith Hunter’s Jane Yellowrock series
Chloe Neill’s Chicagoland Vampires series
Carrie Vaughn’s Kitty Norville series
Kelley Armstrong’s Women of the Otherworld series
Carole Nelson Douglas’s Delilah Street, Paranormal Investigator series
Christine Warren’s The Others series
Yasmine Galenorn’s Sisters of the Moon/Otherworld series
Kim Harrison’s Rachel Morgan series
Mercedes Lackey’s Diana Tregarde Investigation series
Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden series

colleen the contrarian  ± (... never stop fighting) ± (blackrose13) Without a doubt, hands down, best vampire book I've ever read is Anno Dracula by Kim Newman. (The second in the series was not so good, but the third was quite good as well.)

It starts with the premise that Van Helsing failed, Dracula won, and ended up pretty much taking over Victorian England - and includes a hodge-podge of characters from Dracula along with some historical fiction elements. It's pretty awesome. Unfortunately, it's also out-of-print, but amazon has used versions going pretty cheap.

Also recommended is the Diaries of the Family Dracul, starting with Covenant with the Vampire by Jeanne Kalogridis. As the name suggests, it's written in diary format, like Dracula, and is a sort of prequel to it.

Carrie (Care) (Care76) | 109 comments The Night Huntress series is amazing, the first book is Halfway to the Grave.

Chicagoland Vampires is also great, first book is Some Girls Bite.

I really like the Gardella Vampire Series as well, the fist book is The Rest Falls Away.

I have read most of Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles, but that was 20 years ago. Night Huntress is my top adult vamp series, and I never would have picked it up if not for it being a group read here.

Hope that helps.

Lisa MH | 315 comments Barbara Hambly had a couple good victorian setting vampire mystery books: Those Who Hunt the Night and Traveling with the Dead. I enjoyed the first one a bit more than the second, but they're both good.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow, that was a lot more feedback than I dared hope for! Thanks a million everyone, now I have some different and new titles and authors to get on my bookshelve! Thanks! :-)

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Melodie wrote: "Have you read The Strain (The Strain Trilogy, #1) by Guillermo Del Toro by Guillermo Del Toro? I haven't read it, but from what I've heard about it you'd probably like it if you liked I AM LEGEND, which I despised."

I recently read a review on "The Strain" here on Goodreads. It did not give me the desire to read it to be honest. The reviewer made it indeed sound like "I am Legend"-the movie, which unfortunately lacked the depth of the original book. Thanks for the tip anyway! :-)

Melissa Vamped by David Sosnowski was a different take on the whole vampire thing. This book has stuck with me for that reason. It's a sort of dark comedy about what happens when there are more vampires than humans in the world.

I second (or third) the Chicagoland Vampire books by Chloe Neill.

I enjoyed C.E. Murphy's Negotiator Trilogy (Heart Of Stone, House of Cards, Hands Of Flame). I didn't like her other series at all and I've seen reviews where it was the other way around, but I thought I'd mention it.

I've always enjoyed Lynsay Sands and her Argeneau vampire series. They are definitely paranormal romance, but there is a bit of a mystery that gets solved in each book and lots of laughs. Her take on vampires is unique, as well.

Shomeret | 233 comments Rita wrote: "I have posted the below elsewhere on goodreads, but without much feedback. I hope that this group has some good suggestions!

Nowadays, most vampire books that I know of, have been written for (mai..."

There is also a very interesting and unusual vampire novel by the deceased and much missed science fiction author, Octavia Butler calledFledgling.

message 12: by Sevie (last edited Jul 29, 2010 05:26AM) (new)

Sevie | 5 comments -Ilona Andrews, Kate Daniels series: start with, Magic Bites.

-Karen Chance, Dorina Basarab Dhampir series: start with, Midnight's Daughter

-Keri Arthur, Riley Jenson Series, Full Moon Rising

Julia | 583 comments For a very unusual and wonderful take on the vampire mythos try Sunshine by Robin McKinley Sunshine by Robin McKinley.

Lisa MH | 315 comments Julia wrote: "For a very unusual and wonderful take on the vampire mythos try Sunshine by Robin McKinley Sunshine by Robin McKinley."

I love this book! Before I came to Goodreads, I hadn't met anyone who had even heard of it. I totally recommend this one too. They even published a YA version of it, which makes me wonder if they edited some scenes down. Robin McKinley wasn't overly graphic, but I think she might have been a tad too graphic for a YA book in at least two parts that I can remember.

message 16: by Betelgeuze (last edited Jul 29, 2010 12:51PM) (new)

Betelgeuze | 108 comments There's also:

Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris
Spellcrackers series by Suzanne McLeod
Slayer by Karen Koehler
Joe Pitt series by Charlie Huston

Angelika | 24 comments If you want something with a bit of humour, I can suggest the Dark Ones series by Katie MacAlister. Another series is Jaz Parks by Jennifer Rardin; also, Carpathians (PNR) by Christine Feehan, as well as, "Gillian Key" by Talia Gryphon.

Mercutio (fullbusterFT) | 1 comments Blood Oath by Christopher Farnsworth is one that came out recently; I really enjoyed it.

Voxy This is definitely a thread worth bookmarking! :)

message 20: by Harlequin Books (last edited Jul 31, 2010 04:00PM) (new)

Harlequin Books (HarlequinBooks) | 22 comments Vivi Anna has some great vampire books, just to name one of the Harlequin Nocturne authors.

This is her most recent one. The Vampire's Kiss (Valorian Chronicles, #5)(Silhouette Nocturne) by Vivi Anna

message 21: by D. (new)

D. Scott Meek (simplyscott) | 1 comments Dying Light by D. Scott Meek

In the near future, a new world order society mercilessly eradicates the last victims of the Blood Virus. "Vampyres", constantly in fear of discovery and persecution, live and walk among humans as ordinary people with an extraordinary reality and a haunting past; a deal to save the last vampyres is struck, but intrigue, deception and betrayal ensure that while the sun will rise tomorrow, no one knows who will live to see it.

Xin Li | 25 comments Carrie (Care) wrote: "The Night Huntress series is amazing, the first book is Halfway to the Grave. "

I second that recommendation wholeheartedly. In fact, I'm surprised I am in fact only the second person in this thread to recommend that series. The Night Huntress series is the embodiment of awesomeness. The main character is strong, sexy, and sarcastically witty. So in other words, totally endearing. Overall, I think the author really struck the perfect pacing for the book. There's awesome action sequences to really pull you in, and get your heart pumping, or not pumping, if you are a vampire yourself. And then after the immediate action and conflict are resolved, we slow down, and get some steamy love scenes that's sure to tuck at the heartstrings. Ms Frost just has a really impeccable sense of timing in terms of pacing out the action vs the lulls. Just when you think you should put the book down, because you are at a slow section, something totally unexpected happens. And you are thrown into complete chaos. And then you are just like "ok, can't put the book down now." Go through that cycle a few times, and suddenly it's 4am in the morning.

In terms of the distribution of steamy love scenes, I think it's just the right balance to give the characters depth and a sense of authenticity, without going overboard. I've read some books where it's just love scene after love scene, and the character just seem to obsessed with each other to a degree that's comical (*cough* twilight *cough*).

The plot is awesome and full of surprises. I've read my collection of vampire series. And I really thought i knew exactly what the plot is going to be about, and how the various characters would play out. And by the end of the book, I was totally wrong. There are just curve balls thrown your way, just when you think you are getting comfortable with what's going on. And that's been consistent throughout all four books so far. Totally keeps you on your toes. Trust me, if you think you know what's going to happen, you don't.

I just can't say enough good things about this series. Definitely give this series a try. You won't be sorry.

Therese (swizzlekisses) I highly recommend Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist. It's beautiful, creepy, and is about as far away from "sparkly vampires" as you can get.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Therese wrote: "I highly recommend Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist. It's beautiful, creepy, and is about as far away from "sparkly vampires" as you can get."

It's funny that you mention that one: I just
picked it up from the local bookstore yesterday on my way home from work! Really looking forward to read it! :-)
Thanks for sharing the title though :-)

Voxy Therese wrote: "I highly recommend Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist. It's beautiful, creepy, and is about as far away from "sparkly vampires" as you can get."

There's a Swedish movie by the same name. Do you know if it was based on this book. Would definitely pick it up if it is. The movie was really enthralling.

Caramelle | 8 comments I agree with the following recommendations:
Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires, #1) by Chloe Neill Friday Night Bites (Chicagoland Vampires, #2) by Chloe Neill Twice Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, #3) by Chloe Neill
Chicagoland Vampires by Chloe Neill

Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2) by Jeaniene Frost At Grave's End (Night Huntress, #3) by Jeaniene Frost Destined for an Early Grave (Night Huntress, #4) by Jeaniene Frost First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1) by Jeaniene Frost Eternal Kiss of Darkness (Night Huntress World, #2) by Jeaniene Frost
Night Huntress / Night Huntress World by Jeaniene Frost

Xin Li | 25 comments I just started the Chicagoland Vampires series, having just finished the Night Huntress novels.. So far so good. I'm on a vampire kick for the time being I guess.

Therese (swizzlekisses) Voxy wrote: "There's a Swedish movie by the same name. Do you know if it was based on this book. Would definitely pick it up if it is. The movie was really enthralling."

Yes, the movie was based on this book. I loved both of them.

Melanie Jackson (melaniejaxn) | 13 comments Richard Laymon did some other good vamp books (though Traveling Vampire Show is still my favorite, Bite and The Stake. Both are unexpected. These are horror though, not paranormal romance. Not to scare you away because these aren't splatter-punk. In fact, I found parts of Traveling Vampire Show to actually be sweet... also, I really liked Let The Right One In. I think I heard they were remaking the film in English.

Elena | 33 comments Julia wrote: "For a very unusual and wonderful take on the vampire mythos try Sunshine by Robin McKinley Sunshine by Robin McKinley."

Yes, Sunshine by Robin McKinley is very good.

Also, Kiss of Midnight Kiss of Midnight (Midnight Breed,  #1) by Lara Adrian and the whole series.

John Hartness | 19 comments I really enjoyed the early Anita Blake books. The later ones are a little steam-heavy for me, but if that's what you're into, it's well-written steam. Obv. now I need to check out the Night Huntress series.

message 32: by Mindy (last edited Sep 23, 2010 09:37PM) (new)

Mindy (bookluvrmindy) | 24 comments Black Dagger Brotherhood by J.R. Ward

Everyone that I know that likes adult books are addicted to this series. And I have a hard time with adult books but I would have to admit, this series is pretty hot. I have read the first 6.

Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #2) by J.R. Ward Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #3) by J.R. Ward Lover Revealed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #4) by J.R. Ward Lover Unbound (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #5) by J.R. Ward Lover Enshrined (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #6) by J.R. Ward Lover Avenged (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #7) by J.R. Ward Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #8) by J.R. Ward

Armand (Armand-I) | 43 comments Colleen ~blackrose~ wrote: "Without a doubt, hands down, best vampire book I've ever read is Anno Dracula by Kim Newman. (The second in the series was not so good, but the third was quite good as ..."

Anno Dracula sounds pretty cool actually. Revisionist history is fun.

Raven Carluk (ravencorinncarluk) | 10 comments Quite a few good books in this list that I've already read, and some others I will have to add.

I'd forgotten about Anno Dracula, actually. It's been that long since I read it.

Raven is am interesting little vampire mystery. Had a nice twist that I enjoyed.

message 35: by Ladiibbug (last edited Oct 07, 2010 03:41PM) (new)

Ladiibbug The scariest vampire book I've ever read is the novelization of the movie 30 Days of Night by Tim Lebbon. This is definitely in the horror genre! Set in Barrow, Alaska during the period of 30 days of full dark. It's excellent!!

Michael Romkey has written many stand alone vampire books, all 5 star reads for me. Here's a list:

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

Lynda Hilburn's got an amazing series featuring Kismet Knight, PhD, a psychologist whose client makes her question her own opinion that vampires are not real, and her clients who think they are vampires are delusional. The Vampire Shrink is the first book (#2 is Dark Harvest). Two of the best UF vampire books I've read in recent years!

The Vampire of New York by Lee Hunt is very enjoyable too.

Raven Carluk (ravencorinncarluk) | 10 comments It comes out October 19th, but DRACULAS (A Novel of Terror) by J.A. Konrath is bloody good. It's kind of like a zombie apocalypse, with a quick plot, and tragedy, and good characters. Very much a good read.

Jax (JaxC) | 5 comments The "Adult" Vamps Series that I have loved are:

Midnight Breed by Lara Adrian:
1.Kiss of Midnight
2.Kiss of Crimson
3.Midnight Awakening
4.Midnight Rising
5.Veil of Midnight
6.Ashes of Midnight
7.Shades of Midnight
8.Taken By Midnight
9.Deeper Than Midnight

Blood Ties by Jennifer Armintrout
1.The Turning
2.Possession
3.Ashes To Ashes
4.All Souls' Night

Night Huntress by Jeanine Frost
1.Halfway to the Grave
2.One Foot in the Grave
3.At Grave's End
4.Destined for an Early Grave

Night Huntress World by Jeanine Frost
1.First Drop of Crimson
2.Eternal Kiss of Darkness

Gardella Vampires by Colleen Gleason
1.The Rest Falls Away
2.Rises the Night
3.The Bleeding Dusk
4.When Twilight Burns
5.As Shadows Fade

Sookie Stackhouse by Charlaine Harris
1.Dead Until Dark
2.Living Dead in Dallas
3.Club Dead
4.Dead to the World
5.Dead as a Doornail
6.Definitely Dead
7.All Together Dead
8.From Dead to Worse
9.Dead and Gone
10.Dead in the Family

Aisling Grey by Katie MacAlister
1.You Slay Me
2.Fire Me Up
3.Light My Fire
4.Holy Smokes

Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning
1.Darkfever
2.Bloodfever
3.Faefever
4.Dreamfever
5.Shadowfever(not yet released)

Chicagoland Vamps by Chloe Neill
1.Some Girls Bite
2.Friday Night Bites
3.Twice Bitten

Monere, Children of the Moon by Sunny
1.Mona Lisa Awakening
2.Mona Lisa Blossoming
3.Mona Lisa Craving
4.Mona Lisa Darkening

Dark Days by Jocelynn Drake
1.Nightwalker
2.Dayhunter
3.Dawnbreaker
4.Pray for Dawn
5.Wait for Dusk

Rhiannon's Law by JA Saare
1. Dead, Undead, or somewhere in between
2. The Renfield Syndrome (not yet released)

Dark Hunters by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Anita Blake by Laurell Hamilton
Dark Series by Christine Feehan

Irene Hollimon | 37 comments I haven't read ALL the good vampire for adult series out there but I have read most of them.
However, I'm discovering the Young Adult section. I've found a few good ones.

message 39: by Melissa (last edited Oct 18, 2010 10:42PM) (new)

Melissa Ng | 6 comments I've just finished reading Night's Cold Kiss by Tracey O'Hara, the 1st in a new series - I'd recommend it, especially for those who've enjoyed the series' by Jeaniene Frost, Ilona Andrews, Patricia Briggs etc. It also mentions Venators, like in the Gardella Vampire series, but I think this one is better than the Gardella series! I'm surprised this book isn't quite popular, it really is quite good - but then it only got published last year. (: check it out!

Jax (JaxC) | 5 comments I Loved Night's Cold Kiss. I was surprised. Can't wait till the next one!

Yodamom Melissa wrote: "I've just finished reading Night's Cold Kiss by Tracey O'Hara, the 1st in a new series - I'd recommend it, especially for those who've enjoyed the series' by Jeaniene Frost, Ilona Andrews, Patricia..."

Thanks Melissa-Those are my favorite authors, I downloaded the book.

Dawn (DawnV) | 366 comments I just finished Queen of Shadows (Shadow World, #1) by Dianne Sylvan I really liked it plus it was different.

Shomeret | 233 comments I'm glad you liked Queen of Shadows, Dawn. I bought it last week. I don't know when I'll get a chance to read it. I have grad school, lots of library books and I should be prioritizing the books on my challenge list for this group when I get the chance to read the books from my own shelves.

Shera (Book Whispers) (SheraBookWhispers) | 173 comments Night's cold kiss was OK, it felt more like PNR to me.

Dawn:

Glad to here Queen of Shadows was good, I just ordered it!

Rita (RitaLB) I just bookmarked this tread - awesome!

Karen (karenabrahamson) | 7 comments A wonderful Adult Vamp series is the Maker's Song series by Adrian Phoenix.

Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ | 78 comments Lots of good suggestions in this thread. I haven't read them all and added a few for myself.

I was under the impression that you where looking for old school vampire definition of the myth. If so, the only book that has not been mentioned yet that I know of would be The Fallen Blade by Jon Courtenay Grimwood. Venise, 1400, blackmail and betrayal. Old myth on vampire and curses, far from twilight.

Toria (WardenFan32) | 12 comments Kresley Cole

Playing Easy to Get (Immortals After Dark, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon A Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark, #2) by Kresley Cole No Rest for the Wicked (Immortals After Dark, #3) by Kresley Cole Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night by Kresley Cole Dark Needs at Night's Edge (Immortals After Dark, #5) by Kresley Cole Dark Desires After Dusk (Immortals After Dark, #6) by Kresley Cole Kiss of a Demon King (Immortals After Dark, #7) by Kresley Cole Pleasure of a Dark Prince (Immortals After Dark #9) by Kresley Cole Demon from the Dark (Immortals After Dark, #10) by Kresley Cole Deep Kiss of Winter (Includes  Immortals After Dark, #8; Alien Huntress, #4.5) by Kresley Cole Dreams of a Dark Warrior (Immortals After Dark, #11) by Kresley Cole Lothaire (Immortals After Dark, #12) by Kresley Cole
This is a really good series it has some of everything in it!