Chicks On Lit discussion

Just for Fun > Greatest Quotes from Your favorite books

Comments (showing 1-50 of 51) (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Cristine (new)

Cristine Crispin=) | 2 comments Write you favorite quotes down from your most favorite book lets see how many we get:)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 4208 comments "The things I do for Love" -game of Thrones by George RR Martin

message 3: by Aimee (new)

Aimee (akbaum) "Blood of my blood and bone of my bone. You carry me within ye, Claire, and ye canna leave me now, no matter what happens. You are mine, always, if ye will it or no, if ye want me or nay. Mine, and I wilna let ye go." Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

message 4: by Elena (new)

Elena | 129 comments "Death and taxes and childbirth! There is never a convenient time for any of them"-Scarlett O'Hara on Gone Whit The Wind.

message 5: by JenC. (new)

JenC. (jencornelius) | 157 comments Anne wrote: ""Blood of my blood and bone of my bone. You carry me within ye, Claire, and ye canna leave me now, no matter what happens. You are mine, always, if ye will it or no, if ye want me or nay. Mine, ..."

agreed! one of my favorites as well.

message 6: by JenC. (new)

JenC. (jencornelius) | 157 comments "There is neither happiness nor unhappiness in this world; there is only the comparison of one state with another. Only a man who has felt ultimate despair is capable of feeling ultimate bliss. It is necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.....the sum of all human wisdom will be contained in these two words: Wait and Hope."
— Alexandre Dumas (The Count of Monte Cristo)

message 7: by Regine (new)

Regine "If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals."

-- J.K. Rowling (Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire)

message 8: by Regine (new)

Regine JenC. wrote: " ...Only a man who has felt ultimate despair is capable of feeling ultimate bliss."

I love this.

message 9: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) Elena, that Scarlett quote is great. I like these two:

Great balls of fire. Don't bother me anymore, and don't call me sugar.

I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy. I'll think about that tomorrow.

message 10: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2510 comments Mod
Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't eat up people's gardens, don't nest in corncribs, they don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.

message 11: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2510 comments Mod
"Sucks to your asmar" ~ Lord of the Flies

message 12: by Emily (last edited Jul 23, 2010 03:08PM) (new)

Emily (ejfalke) | 576 comments "Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially when my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off--then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can." Moby-Dick

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (SarahSaysRead) "I will find you," he whispered in my ear. "I promise. If I must endure two hundred years of purgatory, two hundred years without you - then that is my punishment, which I have earned for my crimes. For I have lied, and killed, and stolen; betrayed and broken trust. But there is the one thing that shall lie in the balance. When I shall stand before God, I shall have one thing to say, to weigh against the rest."

His voice dropped, nearly to a whisper, and his arms tightened around me.

Lord, ye gave me a rare woman, and God! I loved her well." - Diana Gabaldon, Dragonfly in Amber

"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair" - Kahlil Gibran, The Prophet

"You said I killed you - haunt me, then! The murdered do haunt their murderers, I believe. I know that ghosts have wandered on earth. Be with me always - take any form - drive me mad! Only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!" - Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights

"I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day. I have talked to gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep. You may have hear of me." - Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind

message 14: by Aimee (new)

Aimee (akbaum) Loved your quotes Sarah! The Dragonfly in Amber and Wuthering Heights quotes are both on my list of best quotes ever. I haven't heard of The Name of the Wind. Is it a good book?

message 15: by Mary (new)

Mary (MaryBT) | 336 comments I am quite illiterate, but I read a lot. ~Holden Caulfield in Catcher In The Rye~

message 16: by Terri (new)

Terri | 95 comments JenC. wrote: ""There is neither happiness nor unhappiness in this world; there is only the comparison of one state with another. Only a man who has felt ultimate despair is capable of feeling ultimate bliss. It ..."

What a great quote! Makes me want to go back and read it again. :)

message 17: by Terri (new)

Terri | 95 comments Tera wrote: "Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't eat up people's gardens, don't nest in corncribs, they don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it'..."

Beautiful....

message 18: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1300 comments A Year by the Sea: Thoughts of an Unfinished Woman by Joan Anderson.
One of my favorite quotes:
"It seems to me that the task of the unfinished woman is to acknowledge her life as a work in progress, allowing each passage, evolution, experience to offer wisdom for her soul." Joan Anderson, page 170.

message 19: by Terri (new)

Terri | 95 comments "I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what. "
--Harper Lee from the book To Kill a Mockingbird

"Not all those who wander are lost. - J.R.R. Tolkien"
--J. R. R. Tolkien from the book The Hobbit

"Every book, every volume you see here, has a soul. The soul of the person who wrote it and of those who read it and lived and dreamed with it. Every time a book changes hands, every time someone runs his eyes down its pages, its spirit grows and strengthens."
— Carlos Ruiz Zafón (The Shadow of the Wind)

message 20: by Terri (new)

Terri | 95 comments It's a cash and carry world. Sometimes you pay a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes, it's everything you have."
— Stephen King (Storm of the Century: An Original Screenplay)

message 21: by Terri (new)

Terri | 95 comments "You know before you know, of course. You are bending over the dryer, pulling out the still-warm sheets, and the knowledge walks up your backbone. You stare at the man you love and you are staring at nothing; he is gone before he is gone."
— Elizabeth Berg (Open House)

message 22: by Jo (new)

Jo (BloominChick) | 2995 comments Christine wrote: "A Year by the Sea: Thoughts of an Unfinished Woman by Joan Anderson.
One of my favorite quotes:
"It seems to me that the task of the unfinished woman is to acknowledge her life as a work in pro..."

Love this book!

message 23: by Jo (new)

Jo (BloominChick) | 2995 comments Tera wrote: "Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't eat up people's gardens, don't nest in corncribs, they don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it'..."

TKAM is June's selection for my in-person bookclub. I'm looking forward to re-reading it again!

message 24: by Jo (new)

Jo (BloominChick) | 2995 comments Great thread! I just discovered it and will be back with some quotes.

message 25: by Regine (new)

Regine "To understand just one life, you have to swallow the world."
--Salman Rushdie, Midnight's Children

"I am half agony, half hope..."
--Jane Austen, Persuasion

message 26: by Jo (new)

Jo (BloominChick) | 2995 comments This is a quote from The White Garden: A Novel Of Virginia Wolf by Stephanie Barron, definitely not a favorite book but I love the quote: "And then Jo's nostril's caught the wet-clay smell of damp earth, familiar from countless gardens but heavy now as the grave." (Yes, the character's name is Jo like mine, that's not a typo lol!)

message 27: by Julie (new)

Julie (Julie1014) | 313 comments “Every book, every volume you see here, has a soul. The soul of the person who wrote it and of those who read it and lived and dreamed with it. Every time a book changes hands, every time someone runs his eyes down its pages, its spirit grows and strengthens.”

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

message 28: by Ananda (new)

Ananda Julie wrote: "“Every book, every volume you see here, has a soul. The soul of the person who wrote it and of those who read it and lived and dreamed with it. Every time a book changes hands, every time someone r..."

I really HAD to comment this, sorry for spamming:) I love that quote. Thanks for posting it Julie:)

message 29: by Julie (new)

Julie (Julie1014) | 313 comments “I can't die yet, doctor. Not yet. I have things to do. Afterwords I'll have a whole lifetime in which to die.”

The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

message 30: by Julie (new)

Julie (Julie1014) | 313 comments Ananda wrote: "Julie wrote: "“Every book, every volume you see here, has a soul. The soul of the person who wrote it and of those who read it and lived and dreamed with it. Every time a book changes hands, every ..."

Ananda, it is because of you that I have found one of my favorite authors and continue to read his books!

message 31: by Ananda (new)

Ananda OMG Julie *Hugs* I am so so glad because of this..Yay:) Thank you for the lovely words:)
I may sound like a broken record, but I really can't praise his books enough. Carlos Ruiz Zafón rules!!

message 32: by Priya (new)

Priya (Priyavasudevan) | 108 comments Ananda wrote: "Julie wrote: "“Every book, every volume you see here, has a soul. The soul of the person who wrote it and of those who read it and lived and dreamed with it. Every time a book changes hands, every ..."

I saw this book mentioned here on GR as a great read and read it and it has found its way onto my list of all time favourites.Thank you.I mean Shadow of the Wind. If I could write his lyrical language, I'd die, happy.

message 33: by Julie (new)

Julie (Julie1014) | 313 comments Priya wrote: "Ananda wrote: "Julie wrote: "“Every book, every volume you see here, has a soul. The soul of the person who wrote it and of those who read it and lived and dreamed with it. Every time a book change..."

Priya, I couldn't agree with you more! :)

message 34: by Julie (new)

Julie (Julie1014) | 313 comments "A room without books is like a body without a soul." Marcus Tullius Cicero

message 35: by Blazian-fire (new)

Blazian-fire | 1 comments Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.
-Albus Dumbledore, Prisoner of Azkaban.

(Sorry, love this book series so im going to put it ;) )

"I don't want to be a man," Jace said. "I want to be an angst-ridden teenager who can't confront his own inner demons and takes it out verbally on other people instead." Jace Lightwood/Herondale/Wayland.

message 36: by Karen (new)

Karen "My mother is a fish"

message 37: by Leady (new)

Leady | 10 comments "With cities, it is as with dreams: everything imaginable can be dreamed, but even the most unexpected dream is a rebus that conceals a desire or, its reverse, a fear. Cities, like dreams, are made of desires and fears, even if the thread of their discourse is secret, their rules are absurd, their perspectives deceitful, and everything conceals something else".

Italo Calvino - Invisible Cities

message 38: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 74 comments I'll piggyback on Jo with a quote from To Kill A Mockingbird. I like it when, faced with the unfair trial of Tom Robinson, Dill says simply: "It ain't right, it ain't right."

Hitting that solid center of morality.

Shelley
http://dustbowlstory.wordpress.com

message 39: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1773 comments "I was born to catch dragons in their dins
and to pick flowers
To tell tales and laugh away the morning
To drift and dream like a lazy stream
And walk barefoot across sunshine days."
-James Kavanaugh
Sunshine Days & Foggy Nights

"Sisters are the worst. And they are the best. A sister can be awful and complicated and loving and protective and petty and competitive and when you die she is the person you want beside you holding your hand. Somebody's gotta organize the pot luck after the service and you know your husband's not gonna be up the the job."
-Cathy Lamb
Henry's Sisters

message 40: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1773 comments "If summer had a flavor, it was pink bubble gum."
-Sara Jio
Violets of March

and

"If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you."
-A.A. Milne
Winnie the Pooh

SORRY, can't pick a favorite book, and can't share just one quote!!

message 41: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Thompson Arcangel | 1 comments His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead. From "The Dead" by James Joyce

message 42: by Sibaprasad (new)

Sibaprasad Dutta | 25 comments Wonderful, coming as it does from a classic novelist James Joyce. Finish the book and send me a summary of the novel. Sibaprasad Dutta Email ID: sibaprasaddutta44@yahoo.com

message 43: by Sibaprasad (new)

Sibaprasad Dutta | 25 comments Cindy wrote: ""I was born to catch dragons in their dins
and to pick flowers
To tell tales and laugh away the morning
To drift and dream like a lazy stream
And walk barefoot across sunshine days."
..."

If the husband remains alive until then, he will will weep and do the job. Husbands are not so irresponsible and insensitive.

message 44: by Sibaprasad (new)

Sibaprasad Dutta | 25 comments JenC. wrote: ""There is neither happiness nor unhappiness in this world; there is only the comparison of one state with another. Only a man who has felt ultimate despair is capable of feeling ultimate bliss. It ..."

Julie wrote: ""A room without books is like a body without a soul." Marcus Tullius Cicero"

I agree 100%.

Sibaprasad Dutta

message 45: by Sibaprasad (new)

Sibaprasad Dutta | 25 comments JenC. wrote: ""There is neither happiness nor unhappiness in this world; there is only the comparison of one state with another. Only a man who has felt ultimate despair is capable of feeling ultimate bliss. It ..."

Julie wrote: ""A room without books is like a body without a soul." Marcus Tullius Cicero"

I agree 100%.

Sibaprasad Dutta

message 46: by Sibaprasad (new)

Sibaprasad Dutta | 25 comments Aimee wrote: ""Blood of my blood and bone of my bone. You carry me within ye, Claire, and ye canna leave me now, no matter what happens. You are mine, always, if ye will it or no, if ye want me or nay. Mine, ..."

This is love if the words spoken are sincere.
Sibaprasad

message 47: by Fatima (new)

Fatima | 3 comments All that is gold does not glitter; not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither; deep roots are not reached by the frost.
-JRR Tolkien.

message 48: by Fatima (new)

Fatima | 3 comments Greatness inspires envy, envy endangers spite, spite spawns lies.
-Lord Voldermort

message 49: by Fatima (new)

Fatima | 3 comments We are stupid, fickle beings with a poor memory and a great gift of self-destruction.

What I need is the dandelion in the spring, the bright yellow that means rebirth instead of destruction. The promise that life can go on, no matter what our losses. That it can be good again.

I want to freeze this moment, right here right now, and live in it forever.

-Suzanne Collins

message 50: by Jyoti (new)

Jyoti Arora (jyotiarora) | 24 comments "When you are hurting in your heart, it's no use even if the entire world asks you how you are feeling. All you need is to be held by someone who doesn't need to ask.'
from Lemon Girl

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Wuthering Heights (other topics)
The Prophet (other topics)
Dragonfly in Amber (other topics)
The Name of the Wind (other topics)
The Shadow of the Wind (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Carlos Ruiz Zafón (other topics)