Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

Interracial Categories > White Woman/Black Man

Comments (showing 1-50 of 94) (94 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) | 6908 comments Mod
This thread is to suggest good IR books where the combo is WW/BM.

Here are some that I know about:

Misconceptions (Love Spectrum Romance) by Pamela Starr

This UF series has a White heroine with a Black male love interest:

Magic to the Bone (Allie Beckstrom, #1) by Devon Monk Magic In the Blood (Allie Beckstrom, #2) by Devon Monk Magic in the Shadows (Allie Beckstrom, #3) by Devon Monk Magic on the Storm (Allie Beckstrom, #4) by Devon Monk

Taken by Midnight (Midnight Breed, #8) by Lara Adrian--I know the hero is Black. I'm assuming the heroine is White.

Please add more if you know of some.

I know there are several combos from movies and tv, but I'm too lazy to list them right now. :)

message 2: by A.M. (last edited Jul 15, 2010 06:33AM) (new)

A.M. | 349 comments Wednesday Nights with Jamie (Paperback) by Daisy Dexter Dobbs

Meant To Be (Love Spectrum Romance) by Jeanne Sumerix

Child of Her Heart (Logan's Legacy) by Cheryl St.John

message 3: by JC (new)

JC (ainathiel) This is like my awful weakness, I'm biased. I/R books that involve a ww/bw as the main couple irk me. I haven't read one to the end yet. I am very ashamed to admit this b/c I like to be PC. I also have no problem if the ww is with bm in real life or any other woman from a different culture. I can't recommend any books at the moment. I am still trying to deal.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) | 6908 comments Mod
Can I ask why they irk you, Jo? I admit I tend to read more bw/etc combination b/c I like seeing the bw in the romance.

message 5: by Vacirca (new)

Vacirca Vaughn | 23 comments Hi guys. I just joined this group and found this topic. I am glad you've brought this up because whenever I have tried to find an IR with BM/WW, all I find is the opposite--BW/WM, which of course is what I have read the most in IR. Even typing in the BM/WW topic on Amazon does not provide a good list of choices. I guess at this point the market is geared towards BW/WM. I have a feeling it's because the BM/WW topic has been done in every possible way, whereas the Black female with white male character was practically taboo until recently. What do you all think? Does anyone else have trouble finding IR with BM/WW these days?

message 6: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 5822 comments Mod
Hey Vacirca. Welcome to the group.

message 7: by Vacirca (new)

Vacirca Vaughn | 23 comments Thanks Arch, cool name. :-)

message 8: by Arch , Mod (last edited Jul 31, 2010 08:18PM) (new)

Vacirca wrote: "Thanks Arch, cool name. :-)"

Thanks.

Hey by any chance, do you write? If so, I'm inviting you to join in on our writing challenges. The next challenge will be the uniform challenge. You can go ahead and start that challenge. I have to finish my story Courage first, before I start the uniform story.

Edit to say. I've just gone to your profile and seen that you are a writer. Cool! If you want to participate in the challenges, then by all means do so.

message 9: by Vacirca (new)

Vacirca Vaughn | 23 comments Okay, thanks for inviting me to do so. I will check it out and see what's happening.

message 10: by Arch , Mod (new)

Vacirca wrote: "Okay, thanks for inviting me to do so. I will check it out and see what's happening."

You are welcome. My story is the only one that's still not finished. Rae's and Danielle's story is finished already. They haven't started their uniform story yet though.

Welcome, Vacirca. I think that BW want to see their romantic options highlighted. Maybe WW have more opportunities in this direction?

message 12: by Vacirca (new)

Vacirca Vaughn | 23 comments Thank you Danielle. I do think you're right. I do think it's cool to see so many IR books not only highlighting BW's romantic options, but also highlighting the issues that occur in IRs that are specific to BW. Still in all, it was cool for you all to list the other types too. They are harder to find for me. I've also been reading books between Latinos and Blacks which was kind of fun too.

message 13: by Saditty (new)

Saditty | 5 comments ok...I'm a serial lurker but this post has been calling me since last week and I've finally gotten around to commenting (lol!) Anyway, I love IRR's. I'll read BW/WM, BM/WW and BW/HM. I've been an avid reader all my life, but lately I've been reading exclusively I/R ...and that's partly b/c, after reading some of Octavia Butler's sci-fi and LA Bank's VH series, I simply couldn't get into white-washed romance anymore.

However, I absolutely love Devon Monk's UF series...mainly because of the black hero, Zayvion Jones. Even though she's a white author, she's managed to write a black male with an authenticity which i find to be really refreshing. She's made the character sexy and appealing without being heavy-handed with the overbearing Alpha male crap that so many romance authors seem to love.

My point is, I love reading about black characters...it doesn't matter to me if it's a male or a female, as long as he/she is well written. So many authors - both black and white, tend to create black characters who come off as hollow or stereotypical...the latter esp. with regards to black men.

I won't discriminate between BW/WM and BM/WW romance because I happen to like diversity in my fiction ...I'm all for love regardless of racial differences.

I'm also a very picky reader;I'd rather pledge my allegiance to damn good authors before I take sides on the BW/WM vs. BM/WW issue. There are not enough good books with diverse characters out anyway.

So, I've recently finished Majorie Liu's, The Last Twilight of the Dirk&Steele series...it's ww/bm...i didn't love it (a bit too dark for my tastes) but it was pretty good so I'll definitely recommend. I also have Allison Kent's Beyond a Shadow (ww/bm)in my TBR pile.

Sundowners by Lesley Lokko, is also a favorite of mine...the main black male character, is powerful, brilliant and sexy...but I won't recommend for light reading.

Deanna Lee's, Undressing Mercy...can't remember if it was more erotica than romance...but I wasn't too impressed with this one.

That's all i have so far...still on the hunt for more.

message 14: by Arch , Mod (new)

I'm a huge fan of IR romance. I love reading a good Black woman/White Man story and I love writing stories about a Black woman/White man. I will be branching out with my black woman hookup. My next challenge story - the uniform challenge, will be about a black woman and asian man that are best friends.

I don't mind reading an interracial story about a black man/white woman.

Since the black man/white woman pairing was popular on TV. I use to watch shows that had the pairing. I've checked West Wing, because Dule's character was hooking up with the president's daughter.

I didn't watch all of West Wing, but if it came on and I seen Dule's character and the white woman, it held my attention.

I like seeing other interracial couples on TV as well, but my number one interracial pairing is black woman/white man. I wish we had a chance to see more of it.

message 15: by Vacirca (new)

Vacirca Vaughn | 23 comments Arch: Where is the information about the writing challenge?

message 16: by Arch , Mod (last edited Aug 01, 2010 08:18PM) (new)

Vacirca wrote: "Arch: Where is the information about the writing challenge?"

Hey Vacirca, this is how the challenges started. I am the only one that's still writing to the Royal challenge.

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

And this is how we came up with the second challenge. The Uniform challenge.

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 17: by Vacirca (new)

Vacirca Vaughn | 23 comments Thanks Arch. :-)

message 18: by Arch , Mod (new)

Vacirca wrote: "Thanks Arch. :-)"

You are welcome and Vacirca, if you want to start a Uniform story, please do so.

There are a couple of rules.

1. If a writer's story is an erotic story, they have to make that known in their title

2. If a certain chapter or even installment have: Cussing, violence, same sex, etc. please put up a warning.

message 19: by Vacirca (new)

Vacirca Vaughn | 23 comments Arch: Is there a deadline for the Uniform Story challenge?

message 20: by Arch , Mod (new)

Vacirca wrote: "Arch: Is there a deadline for the Uniform Story challenge?"

No, all stories are on going. A new challenge may start, but that doesn't mean you have to end your story.

I am not a short story writer. My story Courage is still going on and I've started it last year. I have to get back to it, because I am on another group, where we are doing a writing challenge there as well. And a new one is about to start on August 15.

Do you like dangerous bad boys? If so, I can invite you to the group and you can even write a story that involves dangerous bad boys. If you want to check out my story on there, you can. Danielle and Rae have stories over there as well and they are good stories. There stories on here are good stories.

message 21: by Vacirca (new)

Vacirca Vaughn | 23 comments Arch, there is always room for a dangerous bad boy in my life LOL. It would be great to check out your stories.

message 22: by Arch , Mod (new)

Vacirca wrote: "Arch, there is always room for a dangerous bad boy in my life LOL. It would be great to check out your stories."

Well my story on here is under the Writing Challenge folder. It's called Courage.

Check your pm box.

message 23: by Vacirca (new)

Vacirca Vaughn | 23 comments Arch, thanks I will check out the story and comment.

message 24: by Arch , Mod (new)

Vacirca wrote: "Arch, thanks I will check out the story and comment."

Okay.

message 25: by new_user (new)

new_user I liked Zayvion Jones from the Allie Beckstrom series too. I prefer the WW/BM scenario slightly, just because I'm more interested in the man in the couple, so naturally, that's where I want to see the diversity. ;) But I like it wherever we can get it.

Saditty, you raised some excellent points. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Thanks for the recommendations. I love the Dirk and Steele series, but I admit I like the darker stories.

I love diversity, and I am not picky about the form it comes in. I love pnr/fantasy/spec fic, so I am starting to look more towards that to get my IR fix. I have to be careful, b/c it does seem like a good amount of IR PNR is erotic. But, I am glad to see the diversity in UF, which I am starting to love slightly more than PNR. I'm looking forward to reading the Allie Beckstrom series.

message 27: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

CaliGirlRae (Rae_L) | 1988 comments Mod
Here is another: The Color of Family by Patricia Jones

message 28: by Vanessa (last edited Aug 15, 2010 10:31PM) (new)

Vanessa Johnson (VanessaAJohnson) | 58 comments Interesting topic indeed. My book Sacrifices In The Name of Love has a BM/WW main characters. I too was tired of the way BMs have been portrayed and I wanted my main character to be strong, and act like a man when the time called for it instead of a slacker. Sacrifices in the Name of Love by Vanessa Alexander Johnson

message 29: by Saditty (last edited Aug 25, 2010 03:09PM) (new)

Saditty | 5 comments Marianne LaCroix

The Dark Knight by Marianne LaCroix

A historical...just added it to my TBR pile. Has anyone read books by this author before?[bookcover:The Dark Knight

message 30: by Stacy-Deanne (new)

Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) I'll just comment about why the BW/WM books are so abundant compared to most other IR books is because they SELL. It's strictly a business decision on the pub's part. A lot of pubs that focus on IR books are black publishers and they will tell you straight out they want a black heroine and most times a white man but they will want a black heroine every time. They will quickly point this out. It's the same for epublishers, they want BW/WM fiction because it's so popular and readers eat it up. It might not be fair to people who want all types of books, but this is how the industry is. It's never fair. Everything is business and the pubs are only gonna focus on books that make money for them.

I can't speak on the WW/BM books because I've never heard anything about them, haven't read one and haven't seen one. But through the mouths of folks in the industry (including people who work for certain pubs that publish IR), a lot of these pubs don't want a white heroine. I guess they figure that a book with a white heroine has an easier chance being published anyway and so these pubs (especially the black IR ones) want black women as the heroines.

The IR market is no different than any other in the book industry. Things come down to money and sales and the leading sales of IR books are black women with white men and that's the reason for why this form outnumbers the other IR type romances.

Just bringing in a business-side point of view. I also have to say I think some of it is personal with these black companies. I've spoken with folks who've worked IR companies, etc. When you mention a white woman, they turn their noses up. I don't know if it's because of sales or because they just aren't interested in publishing books with white heroines and black men. Don't know but it could be that too. A lot of people who are in charge of the black/IR pubs are black women. Another thing to consider is maybe these women started these types of pubs because they are in BW/WM relationships and wanted to only focus on books they like. Like I said, could be many reasons but believe me sales and money is the biggest reason for why pubs publish anything.

Now personally...

Would I read a WW/BM book? Sure. I might even write one one day but do I go out looking for these types of books? No. I write black women and white men books because this is my personal preference for myself and that's what I like to write and read. I think that's why a lot of black women writers are writing BW/WM books. If you notice, most of these women are into interracial dating themselves or married to white men. So it makes since that they would pick the IR coupling they have the most experience with or just likes the most.

Best Wishes!

http://www.stacy-deanne.net

message 31: by Stacy-Deanne (new)

Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) Hey Vanessa,

Nice cover. I saw that book online somewhere but I thought that lady was Hispanic or Indian. She didn't look white to me. LOL! Thanks for letting us know. I know some folks who've asked about WW/BM books and I'll point them to yours!

Best Wishes!

message 32: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Johnson (VanessaAJohnson) | 58 comments Thanks Stacy-Deanne. I purposely asked for her not to look totally white because she's not, but I won't give anymore because it's one of the twist in the book...don't want to spoil it for anyone. I appreciate the word of mouth for my book. Have a blessed evening.

message 33: by Stacy-Deanne (new)

Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) Oh, okay! LOL! The book looks very interesting!

You have a blessed evening too!

Best Wishes!

http://www.stacy-deanne.net

message 34: by JC (new)

JC (ainathiel) Jo wrote: "This is like my awful weakness, I'm biased. I/R books that involve a ww/bw as the main couple irk me. I haven't read one to the end yet. I am very ashamed to admit this b/c I like to be PC. I al..."

Wow that was a while ago, sorry didn't respond sooner. In fiction, I believe the irk is the wince that Jill Scot commented on. Recently I have also come to the understanding that if people are allowed to love who they want. Writers and others in entertainment media should be able to produce what they want. If we can't criticize the content, we should leave the political/historical biases out.

message 35: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (Ladyleo785) | 5 comments I don't understand why ww/bm doesnt sell I wish there were more of them I'm not in to the erotica form I more into the romance does anyone know of anymore books than these or where I can read anyone that wrote stories on here about this I'm a huge fan of interracial relationship but my fav is ww/bm

Jessica, I will try to post the ones I find on here.

message 37: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (Ladyleo785) | 5 comments Thanks so much!

message 38: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Johnson (VanessaAJohnson) | 58 comments Jessica, my ebook, Sacrifices In The Name of Love is an IR romance involving a WF/BM. Check it out when you get a chance and please, let me know your thoughts. Its available at www.redrosepublishing.com and amazon kindle. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

message 39: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (StephanieMorris) | 14 comments I have a book with a BM/WW out. However, it is the second book in a series. While you are not required to read the first one, it might help.

The Seduction of Hayden  Indulgence 2  by Stephanie Morris

Happy Reading!

message 40: by Lily (last edited Jan 12, 2013 10:32PM) (new)

Lily Pilly Hi ladies!
Anyone read any book about white females falling for an islander or AFrican or a tribe man from rainforest ( imagine she is lost in the amazons and is rescued by a native and then voila! They are happily ever after...sigh...)...just love the thought of a delicate/innocent/cute/shy etc female falling for an alpha/boss/strong male....I sound soppy romantic, don't I....well I am..can't help myself...
8)

message 41: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads), Sees Love in All Colors (last edited Feb 21, 2013 07:20PM) (new)

The Diviners has a romance between a young black man and a young white woman. The author doesn't tiptoe around the issues that this couple will face back in the 20s.

message 42: by Laura (new)

Laura | 183 comments Here is a interesting WW/BM love story between Navy Seal Malachai Dupree and Amanda Forrester. Amanda learns to love again with the help and understanding of her best friend Malachai once she comes to Terms about her dead husband cheating pass during their marriage... Surrender (A Little Harmless Military Romance, #3) by Melissa Schroeder

message 43: by Tina (new)

Tina | 1083 comments The Lady Who Broke the Rules (Castonbury Park #3) by Marguerite Kaye is an historical WW/BM IR. Haven't read it but saw it reviewed on DA.

message 44: by K.C. (new)

K.C. Falls | 1 comments These are all erotica or erotic romance shorts or novellas with WW/BM. Very explicit, may be offensive to some.

Principal Desire by Rene Rogers
This one is free today on Amazon
Principal Desire

Mississippi Curves by Rene Rogers Double Her Pleasure by Rene Rogers African Affair by Rene Rogers Toasted Coconuts by Rene Rogers Gettin' Fixed by Rene Rogers Black Trophy by Rene Rogers

message 45: by Eugenia (new)

Eugenia O'Neal (eoneal) | 1 comments Hi Lily - my book features an Englishwoman who falls in love with a Caribbean man. It's set in the late 1800s and isn't really a romance, as such, more like historical women's fiction. Jessamine

message 46: by Lily (new)

Lily Pilly Eugenia wrote: "Hi Lily - my book features an Englishwoman who falls in love with a Caribbean man. It's set in the late 1800s and isn't really a romance, as such, more like historical women's fiction. Jessamine"

Thanks Eugenia! I shall look into your book

xx 8)

message 47: by James (new)

James Montgomery (JamesMontgomery) | 6 comments Jessica wrote: "I don't understand why ww/bm doesnt sell I wish there were more of them I'm not in to the erotica form I more into the romance does anyone know of anymore books than these or where I can read anyon..."

Jessica, my thoughts exactly. Not trying to be spammy, but I have one called "Mr. L.T." if you're interested. A novella with bm/ww. Amazon or Barnes & Noble. Check it out and see if it fits your tastes.

message 48: by Echo (new)

Echo  (mrsbookmark) | 235 comments Two WW/BM that I can think of:

Fight or Flight by Vanessa North(SF Romance)
Dark Sun Rising by BL Bonita (Historical)

message 49: by Paganalexandria **wicked juices bubbling over** (last edited Mar 19, 2013 10:57AM) (new)

Paganalexandria **wicked juices bubbling over** | 1795 comments Jo wrote: "This is like my awful weakness, I'm biased. I/R books that involve a ww/bw as the main couple irk me. I haven't read one to the end yet. I am very ashamed to admit this b/c I like to be PC. I al..."

Jo, I feel the same way a little. I'm not exactly irked but WW/BM books are skipped just the same. IR is just a small subset of what I read. I read and enjoy tons of straight romance novels that feature WW with heroes that aren't exactly WM. Yet when purposely looking for IR, my heroine needs to be black.

I skip tons of other themes also: plus size heroines, cougar, ménage, step-children, or military themes not featuring a secret organization. In my real life all those things (except the ménage lol)are acceptable I just don't want to waste time reading about them.

message 50: by Kay (new)

Kay Dawn | 5 comments Enslaved by a Kiss is a great book! http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_nos...

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Misconceptions (other topics)
Taken by Midnight (other topics)
Magic on the Storm (other topics)
Magic to the Bone (other topics)
Magic in the Shadows (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Marianne LaCroix (other topics)