Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

FREE (good) Books!

Comments (showing 1-45 of 45) (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (last edited Aug 05, 2010 04:06PM) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) (Peep) | 2397 comments Sometimes we come across free things that should be shared with the group!

I saw a sign for SYNC YA Literature to your Headphones. For the summer, July 1 - Sept 1, they'll be giving away 2 audiobooks a week. Really, really good ones too.

http://audiobooksync.com/

Its downloaded through Overdrive and the link to download them is: http://www.audiobookcommunity.com/pag...

The book links just take you to the book info, to download, click the link above.

Summer 2010

Available July 1 - July 7
The Angel Experiment by James Patterson
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Available July 8 - July 14
Over the End Line by Alfred C. Martino
The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay

Available July 15 - July 21
Bloody Jack by L.A. Meyer
Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

Available July 22 - July 28
The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

Available July 29 - August 4
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
The Lottery by Shirley Jackson

Available August 5 - August 11
Does My Head Look Big in This? by Randa Abdel-Fattah
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

Available August 12 - August 18
Beastly by Alex Flinn
The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson

Available August 19 - August 25
Wondrous Strange by Lesley Livingston
A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare

Available August 26 - September 1
Handbook for Boys by Walter Dean Myers
Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens

message 2: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (narcisse) Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

message 3: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (last edited Jul 15, 2010 06:55AM) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) (Peep) | 2397 comments Thanks Jenny. I forgot to mention that it's a new book and a classic each week. I'm really, really excited about Bloody Jack tomorrow because it is an AWESOME audiobook. It's even won awards.

EDIT:

Just checked and it has won:
Odyssey Honor Award
Audie Award Winner
YALSA's Amazing Audiobooks for Young Adults List
Booklist's 'Starred' Review
Publishers Weekly's 'Starred' Review
Booklist's Editors’ Choice
Foreword Magazine Audiobook of the Year

Just remember to open (not save) the ODM file. That will open up overdrive console, which will download the mp3 in parts.

message 4: by Kourtni (new)

Kourtni (kourkyloo) | 602 comments Wow, thanks peep! I'm excited about Bloody Jack too!

message 5: by Kourtni (new)

Kourtni (kourkyloo) | 602 comments My computer at work has a lot of stuff blocked so let me make sure it's just blocking me and I'm really doing this right. If I click on the link you gave us then click "Click for more info" under Listen and Live audio it should give me a link to download the mp3, is that correct?

Peep (Pop! Pop!) (Peep) | 2397 comments Kourtni, you click this link (they were NOT clear about it on the site):

http://www.audiobookcommunity.com/pag...

You click on the button that says GET YOUR SYNC NOW.
Open (don't save) the ODM file. It will open up Overdrive Console. (Can be downloaded here: http://www.overdrive.com/software/omc/). Then you click OK a few times until it downloads.

It sounds kind of like a lot, but it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

message 7: by Kourtni (new)

Kourtni (kourkyloo) | 602 comments Arrg! My computer at work makes it rediculously hard to download anything, I'll just have to do it at home tonight. Seems like it will be easy once I have a computer that will cooperate. Thanks for the help Peep!

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (ShannyBananny71) So do you just download them to your computer and then you own them or do you only get them for that week? How would you download these to your iPod?

message 9: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (narcisse) Overdrive says they have no expiration date. (I wondered this too, since Overdrive is what I use for digital rentals from the library.)

You should be able to sync them to your iPod through the Overdrive Media Console program. I noticed there are instructions further down on the download page, if you have any trouble making it work.

message 10: by Kourtni (new)

Kourtni (kourkyloo) | 602 comments I was trying to figure out how to get it on my ipod earlier with no luck, but I'm hoping it is just all the security crap they put on my work computer that's keeping me from downloading. I would assume you just download the overdrive app to your itouch, hook it up to your computer w/ USB, and download it through the link Peep provided. I'll let you know what happens tonight.

message 11: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) (Peep) | 2397 comments Thanks Jenny :) And you have a week to download it. Just make sure you download the actual book, not just the ODM file! Sorry! I don't have an ipod to test it with.

I wonder if I have enough room on my Kindle for it?

message 12: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (narcisse) I didn't need to install the app. I just plugged up my phone and clicked transfer and it put the book on there.

message 13: by Kourtni (new)

Kourtni (kourkyloo) | 602 comments Oh you don't have to use overdrive!? That would be wonderful. Ugh, I feel so computer illiterate right now. I hope I can figure it out tonight.

message 14: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) (Peep) | 2397 comments Yep, as long as you have the OMC, you don't really need the app.

message 15: by Alan (new)

Alan (CoachMT) | 72 comments Peep, likely the audio files are much much bigger than the text files for books so if it did fit on your Kindle, I doubt you'd be able to put much else on there.

message 16: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) (Peep) | 2397 comments Thanks Alan. I've done it before. In the early days of my Kindle, I had books on there and an audiobook. I don't know if they'd fit now though, as I have a lot more books and hacks and such.

Oh well, I could always put it on my Sansa.

message 17: by Kourtni (new)

Kourtni (kourkyloo) | 602 comments I got Bloody Jack on my Itouch! Yay!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 7203 comments I loved Bloody Jack on audio Kourtni!

message 19: by Kourtni (new)

Kourtni (kourkyloo) | 602 comments Heidi's back! I've listened to it all day at work and it's really good so far!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 7203 comments I loved the narrators voice - she is so into it :)

message 21: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) (Peep) | 2397 comments Hey Heidi! At times all I could think is Poor Jackie! This is probably my favorite audiobook.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 7203 comments I like when she gets her "time of the month". Classic. Hello everyone. Just got back home late last night. I accidentally erased all my vacation pictures so I am really bummed now :(

message 23: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) (Peep) | 2397 comments From your card? That stinks! They have recovery software you could download and try.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 7203 comments Yes, I clicked format pictures, not sure why, and they were all gone. They have a way to recover them??? I will have to search for it. I am super sad about it. I should have read the manual before I left the house!

message 25: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) (Peep) | 2397 comments Try Recuva: http://www.piriform.com/recuva It's free.

message 26: by Kourtni (new)

Kourtni (kourkyloo) | 602 comments Heidi wrote: "I like when she gets her "time of the month". Classic. Hello everyone. Just got back home late last night. I accidentally erased all my vacation pictures so I am really bummed now :("

Heidi, the time of the month part was hilarious! Cracked me up!

message 27: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) (Peep) | 2397 comments Hahaha. Her reaction was priceless!

message 28: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) (Peep) | 2397 comments It changes tomorrow! You have until 8 am est time tomorrow to download.

message 29: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments Where's Mindy? She should be getting into this about her favorite book ever. I still have Bloody Jack on my tbr pile, but it's like #10 now instead of #150, so the list is moving.

message 30: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) (Peep) | 2397 comments Bloody Jack is no longer available! :(

message 31: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments Has anyone read The Looking Glass Wars? I haven't heard a word about it. Alice in Wonderland is a classic that I won't read again. It was interesting and fun the first time around, but way too much a play on words rather than a story for me to read again.

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments Becca,

I haven't personally read it, but I have heard that if you loved loved loved Alice then this book is for you. Other than that I heard it was just okay.

message 33: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) (Peep) | 2397 comments Yep, that's all I've heard, that it's just ok. I downloaded it because it was free and I couldn't help it. Though I don't think I'll listen to it.

message 34: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) (Peep) | 2397 comments The Hunger Games and the Lottery in a few minutes (8am est).

message 35: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (last edited Jul 29, 2010 06:01AM) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) (Peep) | 2397 comments I lied, it is 9 am. Also, the books are:

The Lottery and Other Stories by Shirley Jackson and The Hunger Games (Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins.

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (ShannyBananny71) I may have to download The Hunger Games.

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments I may have to do that too. I haven't read The Lottery.

message 38: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) (Peep) | 2397 comments Ladies you have to download it. It's free. Download it now and question it later. I got them both. And the other book is The Lottery and 7 other stories.

message 39: by Crissy (new)

Crissy | 8 comments Oh Man! I wish I would have seen this topic sooner. But hey I did get this weeks titles! Thanks for sharing!! :)

message 40: by Kourtni (new)

Kourtni (kourkyloo) | 602 comments oOOOOooo I think I will DL The Hunger Games too! I believe I read The Lottery in high school. Maybe I'll just get both. I just hate taking up all the space on my I Pod!

message 41: by Crissy (new)

Crissy | 8 comments New books available today. :)

message 42: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (narcisse) The third Bloody Jack book, Under the Jolly Roger is on sale for the Kindle right now for $2.99 for any Kindle peeps who want to take advantage of that while it's on sale. :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003...

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 7203 comments Thanks Jenny. I am listening to the second Bloody Jack on audio right now. I love the series so far.

RomanceNovelNews.com (RomanceNovelNews) | 13 comments Win a Copy of ”Halo” by Alexandra Adornetto. To Enter, leave a comment on our site. Open to U.S. Residents Only, Deadline – Sunday, October 24. http://bit.ly/duFjY2

Halo (Halo, #1) by Alexandra Adornetto

message 45: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments Awsome i wanted to read Halo!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Looking Glass Wars (other topics)
The Lottery and Other Stories (other topics)
The Hunger Games (other topics)
Under the Jolly Roger: Being an Account of the Further Nautical Adventures of Jacky Faber (other topics)
Halo (other topics)