Romance, Historical or Otherwise discussion

Archive > Black Jewels - Anne Bishop

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (MsShell) | 1520 comments Mod
Daughter of the Blood (The Black Jewels, #1) by Anne Bishop Heir to the Shadows (The Black Jewels, #2) by Anne Bishop Queen of the Darkness (The Black Jewels, #3) by Anne Bishop Dreams Made Flesh (The Black Jewels, #5) by Anne Bishop

Has anyone read these? And if so, can ya help a girl out? I have the first book, and managed to get about 50ish pages in, and put it down. I have heard such great things about this series, but I just didn't get it.. I need some inspiration ladies... Twist my cyberspace arm into finishing these...

message 2: by Quinn (new)

Quinn | 9 comments I have these on TBR as I've also heard great things about the series. What was it that put you off?

message 3: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Nothing other than the fact that I'm very much a simpleton, and I just didn't get what the hell was going on. Lol. I'm hoping for enlightenment, then maybe I can give it another go.

message 4: by Quinn (new)

Quinn | 9 comments You and me both! Nothing worse that a book that's too much like hard work. Maybe I'll nudge them closer to the bottom of the pile (unless the aha moment hits you anytime soon!)

message 5: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Will do :)

Karin Elisabeth (goodreadscomKarinElisabeth) | 26 comments Well, I have read the first three books in this series and I was fascinated. You see in this world it's the females who rule and the warlord princes are there to protect and serve. The queens have a bond with the land and make it fertile. But two of the queens were completely twisted and they started to corrupt the three realms.
All that sounds a little confusing and when I add that the heroine of the book is around seven years old when it all starts it sounds even more confusing.
But: once you get into this rather complicated thing with the jewels and all - you will not want to stop. (At least that's what happened to me!)

But still - everybody has his/her own taste.
I'll just say: give it a try!

message 7: by VWrulesChick (new)

VWrulesChick Thanks for the heads up on above series..

message 8: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Awesome, Thank-you Karin!!! I will definatly try again then.

Karin Elisabeth (goodreadscomKarinElisabeth) | 26 comments Shell wrote: "Awesome, Thank-you Karin!!! I will definatly try again then."

Well, I should say - don't give up!
And you're welcome to that rather clumsy summary I tried earlier.

message 10: by Karin Elisabeth (new)

Karin Elisabeth (goodreadscomKarinElisabeth) | 26 comments I would like to add something else. I haven't read "Dreams made flesh" which is an anthology I believe but I have read
The Shadow Queen (The Black Jewels, #7) by Anne Bishop which is a nice enough read to follow up with Shalador's Lady and that book is awesome. I read it, I re-read it and then I .. well, you can guess.
You get to meet the character from the trilogy which I always like, but these books aren't as dark as the The Black Jewels Trilogy: Daughter of the Blood, Heir to the Shadows, Queen of the Darkness
Have you made any progress, Shell?

message 11: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

No, I haven't picked it up again. Too many series on the go. Lol. I will though. Is this a different series, your suggesting? Or subsequent books of the same?

message 12: by Karin Elisabeth (new)

Karin Elisabeth (goodreadscomKarinElisabeth) | 26 comments Shell wrote: "No, I haven't picked it up again. Too many series on the go. Lol. I will though. Is this a different series, your suggesting? Or subsequent books of the same?"

They are subsequent books of the same but I guess if you started with the Shadow Queen you'd have some problems concerning the thing with the Jewels. So it certainly would be better to start from the beginning.

message 13: by Marg (new)

Marg (MargReads) | 76 comments It took me ages to get my head around the world building rules in the first book, but by the end of the book I was hooked. I would definitely recommend pushing on with it, because the first three books are all amazing, and the rest of the books in the series that I have read are really good too.

Definitely a series that you need to read in order so you can understand the world that it is set in.

message 14: by Karin Elisabeth (new)

Karin Elisabeth (goodreadscomKarinElisabeth) | 26 comments Marg wrote: "It took me ages to get my head around the world building rules in the first book, but by the end of the book I was hooked. I would definitely recommend pushing on with it, because the first three b..."

I couldn't agree with you more, Marg. This series is awesome.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Dreams Made Flesh (other topics)
Daughter of the Blood (other topics)
Heir to the Shadows (other topics)
Queen of the Darkness (other topics)
The Black Jewels Trilogy: Daughter of the Blood, Heir to the Shadows, Queen of the Darkness (other topics)
More...