The Wee Free Men (Discworld, #30) The Wee Free Men discussion

Accents

Comments (showing 1-49 of 49) (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charlotte (last edited Jul 14, 2010 12:22PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Charlotte How hillarius are the little Irish Green Men? Even the characters themselves are funny. What other accents are good in books?

message 2: by Chantal (new) - added it

Chantal Grech It is good, you can really hear the accent in your head when you are reading the books. I hope he includes them in more novels.

Not sure about what other accents are good, I'm not usually good at picking them up to be honest unless the author is very obvious with it.

Melissa Dee Irish Green Men? I spotted Scottish Blue Men... am I missing something?

Lady I, too, spotted Scottish Blue Men. They are, after all, described as blue and as "Pictsies" (*giggle*). Irish Green Men would be equally awesome, and probably even drunker than the Wee Free Men. *more giggles* I love the Celts! Bless them and their magical ways with language! It is said that Irish (and I presume Scottish Gaelic as well) is the best language in the world for making love and waging war.

S.R. Lobban Irish!!!

Scottish. Only the Scots have "ships" and get pished.

Great characters :o)

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Yep, Scots for me, too.

Garry Yeah, they're definately Scottish little men.
Haha. Where did the Green come from?
I wished they'd made the movie for this. They were going to a while back.

Gabriel Sorry, I hear Welsh when they talk.

Destructo The Mad Scots. Definitely Scots. 'Mousepipes' is a dead giveaway.

awesomness personified :) i read the book and im pretty sure theyre scottish. i love them tho:) theyre cool:)

Mattius White Chantal wrote: "It is good, you can really hear the accent in your head when you are reading the books. I hope he includes them in more novels.

Not sure about what other accents are good, I'm not usually good at ..."

I just wrote a book with some characters for whom I mix and butcher accents mixed with Scandinavian and German. Fun to write, and I stick vith only butchering zeh first part of zeh vord... so eet ees not eempossible to read! Oh Yahh! :)

message 12: by Lady (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lady Mattius wrote: "Chantal wrote: "It is good, you can really hear the accent in your head when you are reading the books. I hope he includes them in more novels.

Not sure about what other accents are good, I'm not ..."

Das ist toll! Wetten dass es Spass macht.

Mattius White Lady wrote: "Mattius wrote: "Chantal wrote: "It is good, you can really hear the accent in your head when you are reading the books. I hope he includes them in more novels.

Not sure about what other accents ..."

I'd have to get my brother to translate. Only word I know is zwitter.

message 14: by Lady (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lady Mattius wrote: "Lady wrote: "Mattius wrote: "Chantal wrote: "It is good, you can really hear the accent in your head when you are reading the books. I hope he includes them in more novels.

Not sure about what oth..."

Basically it was: "That's great! Betting that it [your Scandinavian / German accent] is fun." :)

I have a friend who is terrified of Horace. Not cheese in general, just Horace. She's never read the series, but when I told her about Horace, she flipped out and shrieked, "Why does a cheese roll around EATING things?" She even looked askance at the cheese in my kitchen. Go figure.

message 15: by Heather (new)

Heather Rowe-Stevens I agree, definitely Scot. Love Terry Pratchett. If you like the wee free men you'll love the disc world novels of which there are many.

message 16: by Iain (new) - rated it 4 stars

Iain Definitely Scots, blue folk called 'Pictsies' - the picts inhabited scotland before the scots - and the 'Wee Free Men' of the title is very probably a reference to the very presbyterian Free Church of Scotland (that we nickname the Wee Free's), famed for its abstentionism when it comes to partying ;)

message 17: by Huw (new) - rated it 4 stars

Huw Evans Definitely Scots; try saying it in a Glaswegian saturdy night accent. Actually this did form the core of a discussion at the last UK Discworld convention (very late at night and after we were all scunnered) and the consensus was that their origin was North of Hadrian's Wall. With the publishing of "I Shall Wear Midnight" Tiffany's chalkland finally ties in with the rest of Discworld.
As an aside I am going to the Irish Discworld Convention in November; as a good Welshman I am honour bound to ask them their opinions on this matter too!

Mrs. Ho Jr. I agree definitely scottish. It is even funnier if you read their lines out loud.

David Scots, but did the Picts not come from Ireland *first*?

(disclaimer: I'm Northern Irish)

message 20: by Iain (new) - rated it 4 stars

Iain David wrote: "Scots, but did the Picts not come from Ireland *first*?

(disclaimer: I'm Northern Irish)"

The Scots (Gaels) arrived from Ireland, the Picts - it is currently thought - probably came from Scandinavia, it's hard to tell as no-one speaks or reads (not that there is a lot to read) Pictish ;)

Mallory I actually have to read them aloud, or else I just get confused. It takes me twice as long to read their lines than anyone else's :)

I love the Nac Mac Feegle. They are super funny, and definitely add to the Tiffany Aching stories. I love how they think they're in heaven or something because they get to drink and steal all the time.

Keisha Keenleyside gotta love Sir Terry Prachett for his great character building :D i got my boyfriend to read his first ever book, it took him about 2 months but he is hooked by the wee scottish numpties that go round fightin toy soliders and carrying away sheep =]

message 23: by Etel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Etel Scottish, definitely Scottish. That charming Glaswegian that makes you go awwww. BUT! At certain moments I seem to be detecting a bit of Welsh? If you listen very carefully to how Stephen Briggs portrays them in the audio books, you might discover that I am right. Just might.

I love the Nac Mac Feegles, they are one of my favourite characters in the series. It seems that the Tiffany Aching series is closed, but I really hope that Terry will bring her back, for a wee tiny bity, ye ken.

Mitali Etel wrote: "I love the Nac Mac Feegles, they are one of my favourite characters in the series. It seems that the Tiffany Aching series is closed, but I really hope that Terry will bring her back, for a wee tiny bity, ye ken. "

It would be great if Tiffany put in a guest appearance in some book from one of the other Discworld mini-series.

Helena I am loving reading this series aloud to my 9 yr old daughter, my scottish accent is rather dodgy but she loves it!

message 26: by Etel (last edited Dec 10, 2012 03:02AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Etel Mitali wrote: "It would be great if Tiffany put in a guest appearance in some book from one of the other Discworld mini-series."

I agree! Maybe some countryside trouble with Vimes. But, what I would really love, is Tiffany having a reckoning with Ridcully. They would get along like a house on fire.

You just triggered a flood of possible endings in my head. Thank you!

Stuart Laing Have to agree that the Nac Mac Feegle are Scottish. There are several (joke) references to Braveheart along with other clues plus the words themselves.
It's fun to write in Scots but I always find you have to be careful or it will quickly become almost impossible for anyone outside Scotland to understand.
"Ye ken whit am spearing aboot? Ye ken it's aw braw tae ha'e sum o' it in Scots bit the hale book wid be o'er much fur folk tae unnerstaun'!"

Lesley Arrowsmith Ay. That.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Through the whole book I pictured tiny Scots.

message 30: by Mike (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mike Franklin Aye, definitely Scottish. Just look at what they are called: Wee Free Men, referencing not just Braveheart but also I suspect a wee dig at the 'wee frees.'

Besides if you read the speech phonetically it just comes out Scottish.

message 31: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina Definitely Scottish!

Mitali Etel wrote: "I agree! Maybe some countryside trouble with Vimes. But, what I would really love, is Tiffany having a reckoning with Ridcully. They would get along like a house on fire.

You just triggered a flood of possible endings in my head. Thank you! "

Vimes/Tiffany and Ridcully/Tiffany would both be great fun. Two strong characters going head to head ... I'm imagining the scenes right now!

message 33: by Emma (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emma Maye Definitely Scottish, ye ken. What about the Wee Frees (Scottish Church history) and a whole glossary of Scots dialect? And Welsh? Welsh! The character from Llamedos are our Welsh (Soul Music).

The characters I'd like to see come face to face are Granny Weatherwax and Vimes...or the Librarian! :)

message 34: by Emma (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emma Maye And for a amazing books written in dialect, try David Almond's 'The True Tale of the Monster Billy Dean as Telt by Hisself' and Alan Garner's The Stonebook Quartet.

The True Tale of the Monster Billy Dean. David Almond

The Stone Book

message 35: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina Emma wrote: "Definitely Scottish, ye ken. What about the Wee Frees (Scottish Church history) and a whole glossary of SY

You need to read "Equal Rites" again (if you haven't already). I haven't for a few years, but I believe Granny Weatherwax and the Librarian met up in this one. And it was hilarious!

Mitali Emma wrote: "The characters I'd like to see come face to face are Granny Weatherwax and Vimes...or the Librarian! :) "

Granny Weatherwax and Vimes ... ooh, yes!

Liviana Charlotte wrote: "How hillarius are the little Irish Green Men? Even the characters themselves are funny. What other accents are good in books?"

they are Scottish and blue

Liviana Gabriel wrote: "Sorry, I hear Welsh when they talk."

you hear wrong. I am Scottish and the wee free men are very blue and very Scottish.

Lesley Arrowsmith What sort of Welsh people have you met, if you hear the Wee Free Men as Welsh, Gabriel???

message 40: by Sophie (last edited Jan 14, 2014 03:45AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sophie They are definitely Scottish, the name pictsies reaffirms that, they take inspiration from the Picts who were believed to have tattooed themselves :)

Hannah Melissa wrote: "Irish Green Men? I spotted Scottish Blue Men... am I missing something?"

I thought they were Scottish as well.

Steven Does anyone else have the affliction of talking like the Nac Mac Feegle during and after reading the book? It usually takes about 2 days after completing a book for it to wear off.

Mitali Steven wrote: "Does anyone else have the affliction of talking like the Nac Mac Feegle during and after reading the book? It usually takes about 2 days after completing a book for it to wear off."

Not quite, but I do find myself thinking 'Crivens!' during and after reading the Tiffany books, and I have to stop myself from saying it out aloud. :D

message 44: by Andreas_ (last edited Jul 09, 2014 07:05AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Andreas_ S I read the book in English as well as in German and I can assure you: It works just in English. And yes, they're Scottish. Crivens!

Christopher Peruzzi Seriously, there are Scottish people somewhere who'd want to beat the hell out of some of these posters.

They deserve a good kicking.

Kimber Love me some Nac Mac Feegles. I'm about to read The Shepherd's Crown...the last book in the Tiffany Aching series. Knowing that it's probably the last new Discworld I'll ever read I'm taking my sweet time and re-reading the other four Aching books first. God Bless and RIP Terry Pratchett!

Steven I received The Shepherd's Crown for Christmas. Probably the slowest I've ever read a Discworld novel. It also made me sad that it's the first Pratchett novel I own where the author's bio says, "Terry Pratchett was..." as opposed to "is". Crivens!

Kimber Steven wrote: "I received The Shepherd's Crown for Christmas. Probably the slowest I've ever read a Discworld novel. It also made me sad that it's the first Pratchett novel I own where the author's bio says, "Ter..."

Aww dang. Now I don't want to read that part. Not sure if i can stand it!

Stephanie Bolen If you like the Wee Free Men then, Rincewind in fourex or visiting Two Flower are definitely follow up reads. The Last Continent and Interesting Times by name.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Wee Free Men (other topics)
The True Tale of the Monster Billy Dean (other topics)
The Stone Book (other topics)