Jodi Picoult Books Reading Group. discussion

Authors similar to JP?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 73) (73 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (ShanStores) | 11 comments I'm just curious if anyone has come across any authors that write similar books or in a similar way to JP? I haven't finished all of her books yet, but I will one day so I will need a new author to read! :) Thanks!

message 2: by Jacqueline115 (new)

Jacqueline115 Barbara Delinsky seems to be similar to Jodi Picoult. I've only read two of her books though so I don't feel it's enough to compare her to Jodi's.

message 3: by Dara (new)

Dara | 144 comments Hmmmm...I hadn't thought of the 2 being similar in style but I do love Barbara Delinsky's books too! I will have to ponder this one!

message 4: by Sheryl (new)

Sheryl (Shashee71) | 18 comments Hi Shannon,

I see that you've read The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve. Not sure that she's all THAT similar to Jodi, but Anita has many books. I have also read The Pilot's Wife and her book Light on Snow was very good. I too will need to latch on to another author when I finish with all of JP's books. My friend Angie loves Anita Shreve, so I may give her a shot!

It's hard to go to someone else after ready Jodi's books! I love her style of writing.

message 5: by Sheryl (new)

Sheryl (Shashee71) | 18 comments Shannon,
Another one of my favorites is Swimming by Joanna Hershon. It's a definite page turner and a must read! I think you would really like it especially if you like Jodi Picoult. Joanna has two other books that I have not read yet... but plan on reading very soon. They are The Outside of August and The German Bride.
Just thought I would share that...

message 6: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (ShanStores) | 11 comments Thanks Sheryl and Jacqueline for the suggestions! I will have to try Barbara Delinsky and Joanna Hershon!

message 7: by Shannon (new)

Shannon  Twomey (twomshan) | 11 comments I have also read Anita Shreve--Jodi actually reviewed one of her books and that is how I found her... The one I read is called "Body Surfing" and I really enjoyed it. Not as much as Jodi of course--but I haven't found anyone I like better than her yet!

message 8: by Allison (new)

Allison (allisonfn) | 50 comments I think Kristin Hannah is a great writer who I enjoy for the same reasons as I enjoy JP's books. I recommend Magic Hour first, Between Sisters second, and then Firefly Lane. She's great, and she writes from every character's perspective, like JP. Has anyone else read Kristin Hannah's books?

message 9: by Shannon (new)

Shannon  Twomey (twomshan) | 11 comments No I have never even heard of her. But I am so excited that you gave me a new author to try!!! Thanks!

message 10: by Angela (new)

Angela I have read Firefly Lane and it was one of my favorite books that I have read recently.

message 11: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (netsiren) | 8 comments I really loved Firefly Lane it's the first and only one I've read by Kristin Hannah, but plan to read more of hers.

message 12: by Hillary (new)

Hillary | 1 comments If you like JP, you'll like Anita Shreve and Alice Hoffman. (Note - Pilot's wife is not Shreve's best work - don't judge her on that.)Also, read Summer Sister by Judy Blume.

message 13: by Anna (new)

Anna | 81 comments I think Patricia Gaffney has a similar writing style.

message 14: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (bosoxbabe32) | 4 comments I have read a few of Kristin Hannah's and she is very good and also similar to Jodi Picoult. I agree, Magic Hour is the best, but I also enjoyed On Mystic Lake.
I just read The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes by Diane Chamberlain and it was amazing. I read a review of the book and Chamberlain is said to be the Jodi Picoult of the south which is why I read it!

message 15: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Caiola | 8 comments I read The Secrt Life of CeeCee Wilkes as well, and thought it was great! :)

message 16: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (foudini) The Rest of Her Life by Laura Moriarty is very Picoult-ish. I liked it. Jodi gives it a nice blurb on the back cover which reads "Are the sins of the parents visited upon the children, or vice versa? Laura Moriarty's raw, honest novel about an ordinary family whose life changes in one extraordinary moment resonates like an emotional tuning fork. You'll be asking yourself what you would do in this situation, long after you've finished reading."

message 17: by Anna (new)

Anna | 81 comments I just read Matter of Faith (Kristy Kiernan)--anyone read it? It reminded my alot of Jodi Picoult's style.

message 18: by Bev (new)

Bev Definitely Alice Hoffman. Jodi has mentioned her over and over again as one of her all-time favorites.

message 19: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) I would love to echo what was said about my girl, ANITA SHREVE! She is fabulous.

message 20: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 7 comments Secret Life of Cee Cee Wilkes was definitely amazing! Chamberlain has Before the Storm...which I'm hoping will be similar it JP....hopefully I'll be reading that up until the new JP book!!!!

message 21: by Lori (new)

Lori | 1 comments I agree that Kristin Hannah has a similar style to Jodi Picoult. I just discovered her books and have read them as fast as I can: Magic Hour, Between Sisters, Distant Shores, Firefly Lane, Comfort and Joy, all are great.

message 22: by Dara (new)

Dara | 144 comments I will have to pick up Kristen books. I have been looking at the latest one she has out.

This weekend I also read Barbara Delinsky's latest "While my Sister Sleeps" and thought it was very much like JP. Actually I started reading it around 7:30 Sat night and stayed up until I finished it around 2!!

message 23: by Sue (new)

Sue Seligman (bookfan55) | 22 comments I love Kristin Hannah, just as much as Jodi Picoult. I absolutely loved Firefly Lane; I think it's the best of her books, although Magic Hour and True Colors (the newest one) are just as good. I also like Barbara Delinsky; While My Sister Sleeps is on my to be read list. If you want to read about women's friendships and relationships rather than heavy issues that are in Picoult's books, try The Friday Night Knitting Club and Knit Two by Kate Jacobs and anything by Jennifer Weiner. I do think Jodi Picoult has a special talent for incorporating current issues in her writing. I saw her speak over the weekend and she is just so personable and passionate about her research and writing. I just started Handle with Care and it's great so far!

message 24: by Dara (new)

Dara | 144 comments Well Sue I will definitely read Kristin Hannah then because you and I like the same stuff apparently. I loved Friday Knight Knitting Club and Knit Too and I really enjoy Jennifer Weiner. I like the heavier issues a lot, but sometimes you just need to wipe your brain clean and read something easy.

message 25: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollylu) | 19 comments Shannon, I have just joined the group and noticed your question. I have recently read Water for Elephants and am now reading Riding Lessons both by Sara Gruen. Her style reminds me a great deal of Jodi Picoult. I am enjoying her books very much so far.

message 26: by Jess (new)

Jess (Jess_d) I have always loved her writing! Another author I enjoy very much is Nicholas Sparks. They both have different writing styles, but I think If you read one of his books you will be happy with it. Try reading The Guardian. This is one of my favorite books of his.

message 27: by dinib (new)

dinib Allison wrote: "I think Kristin Hannah is a great writer who I enjoy for the same reasons as I enjoy JP's books. I recommend Magic Hour first, Between Sisters second, and then Firefly Lane. She's great, and she wr..."

Firely Lane is on my TBR list. I picked it up the other day on the buy 1 get the 2nd half price table the other day. I am glad to see that she is similar to JP.

message 28: by Dara (new)

Dara | 144 comments I picked up Firefly Lane at JP's book signing I went to back in March in the Chicago suburbs. I realllly enjoyed it and have since read The Magic Hour. I agree, she does have similarity to JP in her writing. I am waiting for her newest True Color's to arrive for me at the library, I have a hold for it.

message 29: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (havanavictoria) | 6 comments My top three after Jodi Picoult would be Alice Hoffman, Barbara Delinsky and Kristin Hannah. I would recommend Turtle Moon by Alice Hoffman
The Secret Between Us by Barbara Delinsky
True Colors by Kristin Hannah

ALSO... WALLY LAMB! His book "The Hour I First Believed" is amazing and reminded me of "Ninteen Minutes"

message 30: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 27 comments Dara wrote: "I picked up Firefly Lane at JP's book signing I went to back in March in the Chicago suburbs. I realllly enjoyed it and have since read The Magic Hour. I agree, she does have similarity to JP in ..."

Dara, i loved True Colors! I've only read two of her Hannah's books and this was really good. The other one that i read was Angel Falls, which was alright. I've never heard of Firefly Lane until recently but from all the good reviews from readers i'll be on the lookout for that one.

message 31: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 27 comments Amanda wrote: "My top three after Jodi Picoult would be Alice Hoffman, Barbara Delinsky and Kristin Hannah. I would recommend Turtle Moon by Alice Hoffman
The Secret Between Us by Barbara Delinsky
True Colors by ..."

Amanda, i loved The Hour I First Believed! That was the first book that i read by Lamb and it was so wonderful. You felt for all the characters and just wow! I don't even know how to explain how much i enjoyed that book.

message 32: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (havanavictoria) | 6 comments Stacy wrote: "Amanda wrote: "My top three after Jodi Picoult would be Alice Hoffman, Barbara Delinsky and Kristin Hannah. I would recommend Turtle Moon by Alice Hoffman
The Secret Between Us by Barbara Delinsky..."

Stacy, you must read his other books! you will love them... She's Come Undone is amazing. You will be shocked by how well he makes you feel like you are the characters. Let me know if you read it!!
xoxo

http://loveithappens.com

message 33: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (shamish) | 1 comments Definitely Diane Chamberlain! "The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes" was AMAZING!

message 34: by Rhonda Rae (new)

Rhonda Rae Baker (RhondaRaeBaker) | 6 comments I think Kristin Hannah is an amazing author and I've enjoyed all her books that I've read. You might like to try Marisa De Los Santos...her novels are also really good. I've been working on all of Jodi Picoults novels and each one deals with such a different topic, they are wonderfully written. I really like reading Wally Lamb as well, he has such depth in his characters and is funny as well. Barbara Delinsky and Susan Wiggs are also two of my favorites to pick up...(-:

message 35: by Juli (new)

Juli | 7 comments Try Carol Goodman...Seduction of Water

message 36: by Rhonda Rae (new)

Rhonda Rae Baker (RhondaRaeBaker) | 6 comments I've not heard of Carol Goodman and when reviewing Seduction of Water it appears to be the second of a series with The Lake of Dead Languages as the first. Is this true or can we read out of sequence?

Thanks Juli for the recommendation...(-:

message 37: by Juli (new)

Juli | 7 comments Yes, read the Lake of Dead Languages first-it has been a while! The Secret History by Donna Tart was also really good.

message 38: by Rhonda Rae (new)

Rhonda Rae Baker (RhondaRaeBaker) | 6 comments Thanks Juli...also, I couldn't find The Secret History by Donna Tart...is it on Goodreads?

message 39: by Juli (new)

Juli | 7 comments Also try Alice Hoffman The River King, Probable Future or Local Girls to name a few.

message 40: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Chavez | 40 comments Hillary wrote: "If you like JP, you'll like Anita Shreve and Alice Hoffman. (Note - Pilot's wife is not Shreve's best work - don't judge her on that.)Also, read Summer Sister by Judy Blume. "

I am a Judy Blume fan but did not really enjoy Summer Sister. I was disappointed.

message 41: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Chavez | 40 comments I highly recommend reading The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. They made it into a movie which comes out in December. It's a great book - very sad topic though -but thought provoking like JP's books are.

message 42: by Carol (new)

Carol Ekster (cekster) | 2 comments The Lovely Bones was amazing, and I love Hoffman and Shreve as authors also.

message 43: by Britta (new)

Britta (brittaditta) | 24 comments I've read Alice Sebold's Lovely Bones and also Lucky - I actually liked Lucky more than Lovely Bones, but they are both good.

message 44: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 3 comments I have not read all of JP books, but I plan to. I just read the new author Heather Gudenkauf "The Weight of Silence" this book was similar to JP. She even made each character have a chapter like JP. Alice Seabold's 2 books Lovely Bones & Lucky were amazing, but don't waste your time on "The Almost Moon" it was awful.

message 45: by Britta (new)

Britta (brittaditta) | 24 comments Almost Moon was terrible, I agree.

message 46: by Robyn (new)

Robyn | 2 comments Hi everyone

Having read all of your comments I can see that authors similar to JP are Barbara Delinksy, Kristin Hannah and Jacquelyn Mitchard... My mum is a big fan of JP books and for Christmas i wanted to get her alternatives that she will like just as much, I've ordered Jacquelyn Mitchard- Cage of Stars, but just wondered what best books are by Barbara Delinksy and Kristin Hannah that are as good as JP? thankyou :)

message 47: by Rhonda Rae (new)

Rhonda Rae Baker (RhondaRaeBaker) | 6 comments Barbara Delinsky - Family Tree
Kristin Hannah - Magic Hour

message 48: by Robyn (new)

Robyn | 2 comments thank you R&R :) i've heard Magic Hour is Kritin's best :) i will look into Barbara's Family Tree :D

message 49: by Rhonda Rae (new)

Rhonda Rae Baker (RhondaRaeBaker) | 6 comments You're welcome Robyn!

I love everything that I've read of Kristin's and Barbara's novels but tried to give you the best of each...(-:

Happy reading and thanks for the interaction.

Rhonda Rae

message 50: by Laura (new)

Laura Pittman (lauly06) | 3 comments The Year of Fog by Michelle Richmond... very good and very similar to Picoult and her wrinting style. On the cover of the book it even says, "highly recommended for fans of authors like Jodi Picoult."

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Guardian (other topics)
Before You Know Kindness (other topics)
The Hour I First Believed (other topics)