Stephen King Fans discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Other Books (Non-King) > What are you reading right now?

Comments (showing 351-400 of 5,183) (5183 new)    post a comment »

message 351: by Brandon (new)

Brandon (brandonsears) I'm just about finished with The Unquiet by John Connolly. Not sure what I'm going to read next. I have the next two books in the Charlie Parker saga on my shelf but I think I may be getting a little burned out on that character.

message 352: by Dawn (last edited Nov 04, 2010 06:07AM) (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) | 64 comments Nilofer wrote: "Felina wrote: "Nilofer wrote: "Felina wrote: "Nilofer - What did you think of 20th Century Ghosts? I'm currently reading it and while I'm loving the writing some of the abrupt endings are getting t..."

Don't you think that might be considered a UTD spoiler? I've never read UTD and had planned to... But now I feel like the ending is pretty much ruined.

message 353: by Chris , The Hardcase (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 968 comments Pretty much....

message 354: by Bondama (last edited Nov 04, 2010 05:50AM) (new)

Bondama (Kerensa) | 867 comments Brandon -- John Connelly has a new book, "The Gates"(of Hell are Opening, And Don't You Want a Peek?) that is absolutely hilarious. And it's nothing like anything of his that I've read before -- I would recommend this one to virtually everyone I know!

And yes, I do think that Nilofer's posting was a Spoiler if I ever saw one. -- But DO read the book anyway, Dawn, it's well worth it.

message 355: by Scott (new)

Scott (SHissong) | 370 comments Dawn wrote: "Don't you think that might be considered an UTD spoiler? I've never read UTD and had planned to... But now I feel like the ending is pretty much ruined."

I was thinking the same thing as I read that post. I know that I would have been pissed off if I would not have just finished reading UTD a couple of months ago.

message 356: by Becky, Ka-Tet (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 2835 comments I've deleted and reposted Nilofer's comment (again) with spoiler warning.

Nilofer, when you see this, PLEASE remember that when you talk about book plots or main points or details of a book, you need to mark it as a spoiler. This is the second time this morning I've had to "edit" a post of yours for this reason.

Nilofer wrote: "Felina wrote: "Nilofer wrote: "Felina wrote: "Nilofer - What did you think of 20th Century Ghosts? I'm currently reading it and while I'm loving the writing some of the abrupt endings are getting to me."

This ..."

I haven't read any of Joe Hill's full length works, so unfortunately can't compare. Hope to do so soon, have heard a lot of good things about Horns.

___________UTD SPOILER__________
Finished UTD last week, started slow then took on speed like a runaway train, ending in a crash-bang. Loved the characters, and the ending, but couldn't get my head around the aliens thing, seemed like an easy way out, to explain something inexplicable, like it was "all a dream". Wasn't expecting Barbie to survive so long, I must admit.
________End Spoiler___________

Going to reread Drawing of the Three for the book read this month, introduces so many important themes of the DT world."

message 357: by Scott (new)

Scott (SHissong) | 370 comments I quit reading The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements this afternoon. It was like reading a textbook from when I was in engineering school. I got about half way through it.

I have decided to reread The Gunslinger. It has been revised since the last time I read it. I didn't like it the first time.

message 358: by Alayna (new)

Alayna | 10 comments I am currently reading Stephen King's It

Δx Δp ≥ ½ ħ  (tivarepusoinegnimunamuhsunegiuq) | 20 comments Just read, Scott Pilgrim's series

message 360: by Eeyore (new)

Eeyore | 2 comments Alayna wrote: "I am currently reading Stephen King's It"

me too

message 361: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 47 comments I'm reading Torment by Jeremy Bishop ... kind of an advance reader copy. Great book. So far I can highly recommend it. It's a zombie-apocalypse type book.

message 362: by Alayna (new)

Alayna | 10 comments Scott wrote: "I just finished The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove. Now I can start Lamb The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore. I have been anxiously awaiting to re..."

That is a great book, you defintly enjoy it :)

message 363: by Scott (last edited Nov 07, 2010 01:55PM) (new)

Scott (SHissong) | 370 comments Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal was definitely one of the funniest books I've ever read.

It is my favorite King book.

message 364: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 591 comments Just started Firestarter by Stephen King this morning because the last (and only other) time I read it was at least 10 years ago, and it's been sitting on my shelf mocking me, because I've been hesitating to read it since I put it there 2 or 3 months ago. So I finally cracked it open, and it sucked me right in and I think this is going to be a good ride...

message 366: by Scott (new)

Scott (SHissong) | 370 comments I just finished The Gunslinger and Sh*t My Dad Says.

I'm still not thrilled with The Gunslinger. I'll will continue the series though.

Now I'm reading Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster.

message 367: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess  | 49 comments Im re-reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, trying to re-read the whole series before the movie comes out.

Once Im done, I might start looking for Blockade Billy

Δx Δp ≥ ½ ħ  (tivarepusoinegnimunamuhsunegiuq) | 20 comments I'm reading Pet Sematary by Stephen King

message 369: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 699 comments I'm reading Full Dark, No Stars. Blasting through it quickly.

message 370: by Susanna (new)

message 371: by Scott (new)

Scott (SHissong) | 370 comments I finished Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster over the weekend. I was really impressed with this book. The writing actually made you feel like you were there.

Now I'm reading The Book of Lost Things.

message 372: by Alayna (new)

Alayna | 10 comments Scott wrote: "I finished Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster over the weekend. I was really impressed with this book. The writing actually made you feel like you were ther..."

The book of lost things, is a very interesting book, the beginning was a bit slow for me, takes a bit to get into the book, but its worth it.

message 373: by Sheri C (new)

Sheri C (SheriLC) Booklover23 wrote: "Im re-reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, trying to re-read the whole series before the movie comes out."

I did the same thing, except on audiobook - just finished Deathly Hallows. Just tonight I finished The Colour of Magic & The Light Fantastic (my first Discworld book!) and am halfway through Firestarter on audio.

message 374: by Lanie (new)

Lanie (IceVamp) | 145 comments I'm also reading "Full Dark, No Stars" and I'm going through it pretty fast too. I'm on the final story - "A Good Marriage". I loved "Big Driver". Off to bookland with the KING...

message 375: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 591 comments Just finished Firestarter, and it was great... I don't know what to read next...

message 376: by Susanna (new)

Susanna (jb_slasher) | 90 comments Finished Dexter, thought it was a good, solid addition to the series. Next I'll be starting Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire .

message 377: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 699 comments Finished Full Dark, No Stars. Think I'm gonna restart The Wolfman now.

message 378: by Rick (new)

Rick Bundren (bundy845) | 7 comments Reading Side Jobs by Jim Butcher. I plan to start Full Dark No Stars Next.

message 379: by Brandon (new)

Brandon (brandonsears) Bondama wrote: "Brandon -- John Connelly has a new book, "The Gates"(of Hell are Opening, And Don't You Want a Peek?) that is absolutely hilarious. And it's nothing like anything of his that I've read before -- I..."

Bondama - I actually read The Gates earlier this year when my wife gave it to me for Christmas. I enjoyed it! He has a sequel coming out next year called Hell's Bells.

I ended up reading The Reapers. I rather enjoyed it. It was by far the best Parker novel (even though you can kind of classify it as otherwise, as Parker rarely is in it) and just started The Lovers.

I'm almost out of Connolly stuff at this point with only The Whisperers: A Thriller and Bad Men: A Thriller remaining.

message 380: by Ian (new)

Ian Sandusky (IDGS) | 7 comments Currently hideously addicted to Sean T Page's The Official Zombie Handbook (UK - an amazing read for anyone who loves World War Z or Max Brook's Complete Protection from the Living Dead.

Next on the roster is Gerald Rice's The Ghost Toucher!

IDGS
Grey Dogs: Zombie Survival

message 381: by Bondama (last edited Nov 17, 2010 07:18AM) (new)

Bondama (Kerensa) | 867 comments Oh NO, Brandon!!~! What can we read when John Connelly stops writing???

I NEED my Charlie Parker!!

message 382: by Jc11king (new)

Jc11king | 103 comments I will start In the Skin of a Lion soon

message 383: by Brandon (new)

Brandon (brandonsears) Bondama wrote: "Oh NO, Brandon!!~! What can we read when John Connelly stops writing???

I NEED my Charlie Parker!!"

You're in luck, actually. Connolly announced today on his blog that he has a date and title for his new Parker thriller.

It's due to be released in September of 2011 and it's called "The Burning Soul". It's a bit of a wait but he has the sequel to The Gates out early in 2011..so, we're good for a while!

message 384: by Scott (new)

Scott (SHissong) | 370 comments I finished The Book of Lost Things last night. Even though I knew what was going to happen, I still really enjoyed the book.

This morning, I started The Templar Legacy.

message 385: by Bondama (new)

Bondama (Kerensa) | 867 comments Well, Brandon -- at least we save a little money if we pre-order thru Amazon!! -- Sadly, tho, I doubt that they'll have the book even listed for pre-order for a few more months..

message 386: by Dustin (new)

Dustin If all goes as planned, I'll be reading Toni Morrison's Beloved next. I just have to finish Dracula (seventy pages to go, I cannot wait!!)

message 387: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 699 comments Not liking Dracula?

message 388: by Lena (new)

Lena | 7 comments I am about to read The dragon's eyes by King

message 389: by Scott (new)

Scott (SHissong) | 370 comments Elbennet85 wrote: "I am about to read The dragon's eyes by King"

This is one of my favorites from King. I actually want to reread it again soon. I haven't read it since it came out back in the late 80's.

message 390: by Lena (new)

Lena | 7 comments Scott wrote: "Elbennet85 wrote: "I am about to read The dragon's eyes by King"

This is one of my favorites from King. I actually want to reread it again soon. I haven't read it since it came out back in the..."

I haven't read it before...but I have a feeling that it will be awesome

message 391: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Rachel wrote: "Not liking Dracula?"

I LOVE Dracula. I'm almost done reading it, actually!

message 392: by Bondama (new)

Bondama (Kerensa) | 867 comments I just finished a book called "Dracula in Love" - cheesy title, but the book is actually pretty good. It presents the story through Mina's eyes, and although the ending is lame, it is a fairly enjoyable read.

message 393: by Erica (new)

Erica (BookPsycho) | 109 comments I am currently reading Beautiful Darkness by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. I read the first one so I thought why not?

message 394: by Steven (new)

Steven Belanger | 53 comments Okay, so I was hearing a sound like a whisper that was creeping me out until I realized that it was my greyhound behind me, snoring...ANYWAY, I'm reading Full Dark, No Stars, on novella three, I'm finding it of mixed quality. Just finished Jhumpa Lahiri's Unaccustomed Earth for my grad. class. Same comment, though the last two stories were the best. Still trying to finish The Secret because I promised somebody I would. Finished Robert B. Parker's latest (last?) two weeks ago...and, of course, I'm still reading books with magazine listings to send my short stories out, and books with agent listings to send my novel packages out. Not to mention hundreds of pages of handwritten material for my day job. I still have 20/10 vision; I don't know how.

Rachel, how's the Annotated Dracula? I was going to buy that because I love annotated things (even the Dan Brown books) but it was really expensive, so I didn't. But I will if you heavily recommend it. (No pressure.) I loved Dracula, though I think you have to have a good imagination to read it. This generation doesn't like it. I loved Beloved; I read it when I was about 15 and I felt like a brick wall had fallen on me when I finished it. I was one of maybe 27 people, nationwide, to see the movie, but I liked it a lot. I thought it was really effective.

Steven Belanger
www.stevenbelanger.com
www.stevenebelanger.blogspot.com

message 395: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 699 comments I loved the story of Dracula but the Annotated Dracula was distracting for someone who had never read the story before (i.e. ME) so I felt I got much further, much faster reading the paperback copy I picked up at the library for 50 cents. The essays at the beginning of the book are interesting and so is the intro by Neil Gaiman. I'll go back to it eventually to fill my brain with all those Dracula footnotes. I think its good for someone who wants more in depth to a story they already know.

Δx Δp ≥ ½ ħ  (tivarepusoinegnimunamuhsunegiuq) | 20 comments just read
The Walking Dead Vol. 1 Days Gone Bye by Robert Kirkman

message 397: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 699 comments Great series.

Δx Δp ≥ ½ ħ  (tivarepusoinegnimunamuhsunegiuq) | 20 comments ^ yes. if Hawking make a graphic novel, it should be "The Walking Dead" :D

the TV series is great too

message 399: by Miriam (new)

Miriam (chkntza) I am also one of the few people who loved the film Beloved. I also loved the movie. I read the book too.

message 400: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Steven wrote: "Okay, so I was hearing a sound like a whisper that was creeping me out until I realized that it was my greyhound behind me, snoring...ANYWAY, I'm reading Full Dark, No Stars, on novella three, I'm ..."

Hi, Steven! I finished Dracula last night. Do you really think a good imagination is needed in order to enjoy the story?

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The One That I Want (other topics)
Infinite Jest (other topics)
A Room Swept White (other topics)
The Dark Tower (other topics)
Misery (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Michael B. Edwards (other topics)
Guillermo del Toro (other topics)
Titania Hardie (other topics)