Stephen King Fans discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Other Books (Non-King) > What are you reading right now?

Comments (showing 2,851-2,900 of 5,183) (5183 new)    post a comment »

message 2851: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Jason wrote: "Just started The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWittand after that I think I'll get back to my re-read of The Dark Tower with Wolves of the Calla."

Sounds great, Jason!!

I'm also reading Wolves, along with a re-read of Eragon.:)

message 2852: by Holly (new)

Holly | 407 comments Changed it; I'm going to read The Kennedy Women first.

message 2853: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Holly wrote: "Changed it; I'm going to read The Kennedy Women first."

Hmm... that should be an interesting read..:)

message 2854: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 71 comments Dustin wrote: "Thank you, Aloha!:) Where do you get all these interesting links, anyway? ."

From fellow geeks at the Sword & Laser forum. We had a thread on robots. The book I'm reading on neuroscience is really interesting. The brain is an amazing organ.

message 2855: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 561 comments Just started Benjamin's Parasite.

message 2856: by Jason (new)

Jason Baldwin-Stephens | 126 comments Dustin wrote: "Jason wrote: "Just started The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWittand after that I think I'll get back to my re-read of The Dark Tower with Wolves of the Calla."

Sounds great, Jason!!

I'm also reading W..."

I haven't gotten to Eragon yet. Is that series complete?

message 2857: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Jason wrote: "Dustin wrote: "Jason wrote: "Just started The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWittand after that I think I'll get back to my re-read of The Dark Tower with Wolves of the Calla."

Sounds great, Jason!!

I'm..."

Yep, it sure is, Jason.:)

I've had the last book, Inheritance, since before Christmas of last year.. I haven't read it, though.

message 2858: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Aloha wrote: "Dustin wrote: "Thank you, Aloha!:) Where do you get all these interesting links, anyway? ."

From fellow geeks at the Sword & Laser forum. We had a thread on robots. The book I'm reading on neuro..."

Thank you, Aloha.

message 2859: by Jason (new)

Jason Baldwin-Stephens | 126 comments Dustin wrote: "Jason wrote: "Dustin wrote: "Jason wrote: "Just started The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWittand after that I think I'll get back to my re-read of The Dark Tower with Wolves of the Calla."

Sounds great..."

Excellent.

message 2861: by Aoibhínn (new)

Aoibhínn (aoibhinn) I've finished Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris this afternoon and now I'm reading White Oleander by Janet Fitch.

message 2862: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 631 comments Ellie wrote: "I've finished Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris this afternoon and now I'm reading White Oleander by Janet Fitch."

White Oleander is one of my favorite books! Hope you enjoy it!

message 2863: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Jason wrote: "Dustin wrote: "Jason wrote: "Dustin wrote: "Jason wrote: "Just started The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWittand after that I think I'll get back to my re-read of The Dark Tower with Wolves of the Calla...."

I hope you enjoy the series, Jason.:)

message 2864: by Chris , The Hardcase (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 980 comments I keep seeing that Sisters Brothers book posted and reposted, but don't see where anyone said it was good or not.

So...is it? I'm curious about that one.

message 2865: by Jason (new)

Jason Baldwin-Stephens | 126 comments Chris wrote: "I keep seeing that Sisters Brothers book posted and reposted, but don't see where anyone said it was good or not.

So...is it? I'm curious about that one."

I haven't finished it just yet and it's definetely the type of novel where I won't be able to say if I liked it or not until I'm done. The best I can say so far is that reading it is addicting.

message 2866: by Chris , The Hardcase (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 980 comments Addicting sounds promising...

message 2867: by Dustin (new)

Dustin I'm surprised at how readable Mind Children was. He gives interesting details on the progression of robotic development. I didn't know that it was split between two different approaches, the artificial intelligence approach, where they focus on computational tasks, and the more menial part, where they focus on the body and mobility of the robot. He also went through several approaches and theories about making the robot as functional and as close to human as possible. I highly recommend this, Dustin. You would find it really interesting. If you go to Amazon, you can find a used book for a really great price. I usually buy hardbacks because they're easier to read, if I can't find an eBook or an audio.

Hi again, Aloha!

I'm not sure how, but I seem to have missed this when you posted it. Anyway, I just wanted to thank you, and say that I very much appreciate you saying so.:)
I have no doubt that I'd find it very interesting, as well!

message 2868: by Kevin (last edited May 24, 2012 05:13PM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 219 comments I'm reading George Alec Effinger's three Marid Audran books. I just finished the first book, When Gravity Fails, its onto the second, A Fire in the Sun, then The Exile Kiss.

message 2869: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 71 comments Hi, Dustin. Further reading into Mind Children, I realized that people who run away from technical manuals may not like this. But I highly recommend Beyond Boundaries that has a more human approach and deals with the brain and robotic research.

Dustin wrote: "I'm surprised at how readable Mind Children was. He gives interesting details on the progression of robotic development. I didn't know that it was split between two different approaches, the artifi..."

message 2870: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 71 comments Finished Beyond Boundaries: The New Neuroscience of Connecting Brains with Machines and How It Will Change Our Lives. An excellent read that is going on my favorites shelf. I highly recommend this for a layman who would like to know more about advances in technology, including medical technology. This is a wonderful account of Brain Machine Interface research. I found a short scholarly essay from the writer on the research. The scholarly essay would be hard for a layman to follow, but the book is not. This made me appreciate the insight and sensitivity of the scientist in communicating with the general public in a way that is easy to understand yet not dumbing down the ideas.

The possibilities of combining the brain with robot is astounding. It can range from what we're familiar with now, the middle ear implants that allow people to hear again, to one day being able to explore distant hostile planets in a robotic body from the comfort of your livingroom, seeing and sensing the foreign environment from the robotic body.

I'm still working on the paper book (snail read), Mind Children: The Future of Robot and Human Intelligence, which I would not recommend for the layman who is not used to reading technical manuals. It's not full of formulas and technical gibberish, but enough for people who cringe at anything that sounds technical or contains math to put down the book.

I'm starting Tigana. The prose is flowing and beautiful.

message 2871: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Aloha wrote: "Hi, Dustin. Further reading into Mind Children, I realized that people who run away from technical manuals may not like this. But I highly recommend Beyond Boundaries that has a more human approa..."

Thank you, Aloha! I appreciate that.:)

message 2872: by Lena (new)

Lena | 91 comments I'm reading The Things They Carried and The Quiet American. They sort of go together, but I was having a slow time getting through The Quiet American so I started reading the other one at the same time.

message 2873: by Jason (new)

Jason Baldwin-Stephens | 126 comments Finished up The Sisters Brothers. I liked it overall. Someone else here on Goodreads mentioned in their review that it reminded them of a Coen Brothers film and that's pretty accurate.

Going to start on Wolves of the Calla now. It just recently dawned on me that I've been averaging a book by King a month since October 2011.

message 2874: by Chris , The Hardcase (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 980 comments I loved The Things They Carried.....

Coen Brothers eh, Jason. That could be good or bad, then. Some of them I like a lot (Fargo, Raising Arizona, Oh Brother Where Art Thou?) and some pretty much sucked (Big Lebowski).

So I guess I just need to read it for myself....

message 2875: by Mike (new)

Mike (mikequist1) I am reading I am Legend And Other Stories by Richard Matheson.

message 2876: by Charlene (new)

Charlene I loved Lebowski!

Mike, I also love I am Legend: And Other Stories. I hope you do too!

message 2877: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (Pan_Maciej) | 198 comments Chris wrote: "...some pretty much sucked (Big Lebowski)"

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a heretic on board!

message 2878: by Tyler (new)

Tyler (pollyscity) Started reading This is Not a Game by Walter Jon Williams but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to commit, I really have the urge to re read Enders Game.

message 2879: by Jason (new)

Jason Baldwin-Stephens | 126 comments Chris wrote: "I loved The Things They Carried.....

Coen Brothers eh, Jason. That could be good or bad, then. Some of them I like a lot (Fargo, Raising Arizona, Oh Brother Where Art Thou?) and some pretty much s..."

Hahaha. Curious to see what you think then as I'm a big, Big Lebowski fan but didn't think a whole lot of Oh Brother. That being said The Sisters Brothers did remind me Oh Brother in parts.

message 2880: by Jason (new)

Jason (Jokers_Knight_Out) Reading The Night Eternal alongside Solitary, so this should be interesting. All-in-all, got about 20-25books to read, short-term. Including King, mind you.

message 2881: by Charlene (new)

Charlene I just started a McCammon book:
Mystery Walk.

message 2882: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 293 comments I just finished Deadlocked, the newest book in the Sookie Stackhouse series. I just started listening to Flashback, and I'm about to start Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.

message 2883: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (VeraJ121) | 300 comments I am reading the last installment of the Hunger Games, Mockingjay.

For those that read Deadlocked, how is that book. I feel Sookie Stackhouse series is a wash now.

message 2884: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 293 comments Veronica wrote: "I am reading the last installment of the Hunger Games, Mockingjay.

For those that read Deadlocked, how is that book. I feel Sookie Stackhouse series is a wash now."

It was ok. These books are like comfort food - in some respects the familiarity is nice, and it's a fun fluffy read, but I haven't really enjoyed a Sookie book since Dead and Gone. She really needs to wrap the series up, but she left things hanging at the end of this one, so I guess there's going to be at least one more.

message 2885: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (VeraJ121) | 300 comments Courtney wrote: "Veronica wrote: "I am reading the last installment of the Hunger Games, Mockingjay.

For those that read Deadlocked, how is that book. I feel Sookie Stackhouse series is a wash now."

It was ok. T..."

I know she plans to stop on book 13. I just purchased Deadlocked but not that enthused to read it.

message 2886: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Charlene wrote: "I just started a McCammon book:
Mystery Walk."

Hi, Charlene-

I'm just curious, have you read everything by McCammon?

message 2887: by Jason (new)

Jason Baldwin-Stephens | 126 comments Just wrapped up Wolves of the Calla (actually pulled an all nighter to get it read, which will make the day job lots of fun today)

Once I get some sleep I'm going to start in on The Town and the City.

message 2888: by Todd (new)

Todd | 2 comments BonFire wrote: "I just started reading Danse Macabre by Stephen King, which is pretty good so far. I was glad to read he was scared by The Blair Witch Project. It gets a lot of crap which I don't think it deserves.
I'..."

I agree. Blair Witch gets no love. That's the scariest movie I've ever seen.

message 2889: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 631 comments Tb wrote: "BonFire wrote: "I just started reading Danse Macabre by Stephen King, which is pretty good so far. I was glad to read he was scared by The Blair Witch Project. It gets a lot of crap which I don't think..."

That movie scared me....I should go find it and watch it to scare the pants off of me. It has been too long.

message 2890: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Jason wrote: "Just wrapped up Wolves of the Calla (actually pulled an all nighter to get it read, which will make the day job lots of fun today)

Once I get some sleep I'm going to start in on The Town and the C..."

Oh WOW, Jason!!:)

message 2891: by Drew (new)

Drew | 124 comments About half-way through Under the Dome.

message 2892: by Anne (new)

Anne (annalese) | 41 comments I am going to have to leave Private Games by James Patterson awful book , I am half way through it but can read no more, this is a first for me with J P,s books they are usually page turners for me .

message 2893: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 3 comments I am about half way through this book called Obsession. It is really slow so far... if anyone has read it could they let me know if the pace picks up at all? Thanks!

message 2894: by Marc-Antoine (new)

Marc-Antoine | 132 comments Anne wrote: "I am going to have to leave Private Games by James Patterson awful book , I am half way through it but can read no more, this is a first for me with J P,s books they are usually page turners for ..."

I felt the same way, but kept going, it picked up after the halfway mark and I actually ended up enjoying the book.

message 2895: by Marc-Antoine (new)

Marc-Antoine | 132 comments Now reading The Fall by Guillermo del Toro

message 2896: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 631 comments I am reading The Wolves of the Calla.

message 2897: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Kathryn wrote: "I am reading The Wolves of the Calla."

What do you think, so far?

message 2898: by Drew (new)

Drew | 124 comments Kathryn wrote: "I am reading The Wolves of the Calla."

This is one of my favorites, actually the last three are my favorites.

message 2899: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 631 comments Drew wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "I am reading The Wolves of the Calla."

This is one of my favorites, actually the last three are my favorites."

Good to know, Drew! I am looking forward to getting into them. I heard Wolves is pretty action-packed. :)

message 2900: by Michael (last edited May 31, 2012 12:31PM) (new)

Michael Auger (iburiedpaul90) | 7 comments I am about to read Shadows of the Empire by Steve Perry. I'm excited because I grew up playing the video game for N64.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The One That I Want (other topics)
Infinite Jest (other topics)
A Room Swept White (other topics)
The Dark Tower (other topics)
Misery (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Michael B. Edwards (other topics)
Guillermo del Toro (other topics)
Titania Hardie (other topics)