Stephen King Fans discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Other Books (Non-King) > What are you reading right now?

Comments (showing 2,801-2,850 of 5,183) (5183 new)    post a comment »

message 2801: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 71 comments Dang! Speed reader! I'm almost 3/4 through book 4, Wizard and Glass.

Kit★ wrote: "Just finished The Wind Through the Keyhole and I thought it was fantastic, but way too short."

message 2802: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Alondra wrote: "didn't mean to read 3 books at once, but No Country for Old Men fell in my lap. :)"

One can never go wrong with a Cormack McCarthy novel, IMO!

message 2803: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Lena wrote: "I read In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin by Larson and thought it was just okay. Hope Devil is better for you.

I'm still reading Moby-Dick, but I can..."

Well, Moby-Dick is definitely one of those books that tends to drag on and on, and the reader must be patient. Take the good with the bad.

message 2804: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 71 comments I finished #4 of the Dark Tower series. I am approaching my goal and am reading The Wind Through the Keyhole: A Dark Tower Novel. I am really enjoying this series now. I can easily detect structure within a book. That makes me a good book detective, but it also ruins my enjoyment of a book. The thing I like about Stephen King is that he truly is a talent who can spin tales out of his head. People who do that do not need to build the skeleton first to build a story. I think that is why his stories ranges from phenomenal to awkward rambling. This series makes me feel like I'm sitting in front of a campfire with a story shaman weaving a tale.

I'm debating whether to take a quick break from the series after this one to catch up on my other reads. I'd like to read Jerzy Kosinski: A Biography and work by him. A close friend is focusing on this author, and I'd like to have a good dialogue regarding Kosinski.

I have not touched Only Revolutions lately. The book requires work to read and I've been distracted with too many things. But I would like to get back to it. Mark Z. Danielewski's work gives me so much mental satisfaction when I'm done with it.

message 2805: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Aloha wrote: "I finished #4 of the Dark Tower series. I am approaching my goal and am reading The Wind Through the Keyhole: A Dark Tower Novel. I am really enjoying this series now. I can easily detect struct..."

Wow, way to go, Aloha!! It's so great to hear that you're really enjoying the series now.:) Totally awesome, isn't it?

My copy of House of Leaves and The Whalestoe Letters arrived earlier this week! I cannot wait to delve into them!!

message 2806: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 71 comments Hi, Dustin! *waves*

Thank you. I love the series. It is different from the usual fantasy, which is refreshing. I like the cowboy feel to it, too.

LOL! I'll send you a boxful of aspirin to go with HoL. I hope you enjoy them. It's good to read this with a buddy. Think of it as a book puzzle game. I like puzzles and I like books. This is a great hybrid.

message 2807: by Dustin (last edited May 18, 2012 09:41AM) (new)

Dustin I've looked at various parts of the book a few times, and the more I see, it intrigues me even more.:)

message 2808: by Aoibhínn (new)

Aoibhínn (aoibhinn) I'm reading the latest book, Deadlocked, in the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris.

message 2809: by Scott (new)

Scott (SHissong) | 371 comments I recently read Scar Tissue and You Suck.

I'm going to start Flesh and Bone this afternoon.

message 2810: by Chris , The Hardcase (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 973 comments I read Scar Tissue earlier this year and loved it. I've read a few rock n roll memoir type books, but that's easily my favorite.

Did you see RHCP at the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame induction? It was pretty heartfelt.

message 2811: by Holly (new)

Holly | 407 comments I'm currently reading The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux.

message 2812: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 71 comments I am currently reading Mind Children: The Future of Robot and Human Intelligence. Loving it. So much so that I ordered a used hardback of his Robot: Evolution from Mere Machine to Transcendent Mind, which will be here in 2 days. I love Amazon.

I'm currently listening to the Dark Tower 4.5, The Wind Through the Keyhole: A Dark Tower Novel, which is narrated by King himself. Mr. King, please don't quit your day job as a writer. I hate the narration so much, I'm considering having my computer's Alex voice read to me. For a writer who knows his own book, his emphasis is atonal and wrong, wrong, wrong. He sounds like he's reading his stuff. I miss Frank Muller, may he rest in peace.

message 2813: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 71 comments It is cute when at one point, King squished his nose to do a nasally sound for a character. I think he's into it, but I hope he'll focus on the writing and leave the narration for the professionals. LOL.

message 2814: by Dustin (last edited May 19, 2012 01:04PM) (new)

Dustin Hi, Aloha-

I'm sorry that you're not enjoying the audio of TWTTK.

The books on robots sounds very interesting. I think I'll check those out.:) Thank you. Hmmm...very interesting, indeed!

message 2815: by Aloha (last edited May 19, 2012 04:49PM) (new)

Aloha | 71 comments Thanks, Dustin. King's voice grew on me. I keep in my head that it's STEPHEN KING reading this. LOL. It might be a treat he's giving his fans, a personal reading of one of his books.

I'm surprised at how readable Mind Children was. He gives interesting details on the progression of robotic development. I didn't know that it was split between two different approaches, the artificial intelligence approach, where they focus on computational tasks, and the more menial part, where they focus on the body and mobility of the robot. He also went through several approaches and theories about making the robot as functional and as close to human as possible. I highly recommend this, Dustin. You would find it really interesting. If you go to Amazon, you can find a used book for a really great price. I usually buy hardbacks because they're easier to read, if I can't find an eBook or an audio.

message 2816: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 71 comments Dustin, to give you further insight into the book on robotics, you might want to look up computational theory of mind and evolutionary psychology. Books by Steven Pinker is really informative regarding those theories.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_P...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolutio...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computat...

I think these theories affect Moravec's hypothesis that a mind is ultimately a mathematical abstraction that can be transferred.

message 2817: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Wow, that's heavy stuff, Aloha! Thank you.

message 2818: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 71 comments After a few books, you'll find the same theories cropping up in some non-fiction science books. They make it layman friendly nowadays. It's funny that I recognize these theories being used in artifical intelligence. You'll see in the first chapter. He mentioned about making a robot that can learn and deduce facts similar to the ways people learn.

Yep, you'll be popping out these terms at parties and impress people. But first, you'll be talking about House of Leaves until people are sick of you.

message 2819: by Damali (new)

Damali Currently reading Feed

message 2820: by Jason (new)

Jason Baldwin-Stephens | 126 comments Just started The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWittand after that I think I'll get back to my re-read of The Dark Tower with Wolves of the Calla.

message 2821: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 71 comments Finished The Wind Through the Keyhole: A Dark Tower Novel. It was okay. The problem I have with the series is that it's uneven. Sometimes it's rousing good fun, other times I feel disconnected from it. The main problem is his arrangement. The main Roland crew, with Susanna and Eddie, often takes a backseat to the stories. Unlike faithful followers of the DT series who finished the series before WTK, I have not read any past this 4.5 book of the series. I was starting to connect with Roland, and a little bit with Susanna and Eddie, when another little story popped up that does not have Roland in it.

I prefer LOTR's smooth sequence of Frodo's journey. I was given time to connect with the main characters and care about what happens to them. The DT series makes it hard to stay connected with the main characters from book to book.

I'm taking a little break before I finish the series to catch up on other books and to read the latest Mieville, Railsea.

I have not had time to read my paper book, Mind Children: The Future of Robot and Human Intelligence, but it is an excellent read. I'm hoping to find more focused time to sit and eyeball the tiny print.

message 2822: by Scott (new)

Scott (SHissong) | 371 comments Chris wrote: "I read Scar Tissue earlier this year and loved it. I've read a few rock n roll memoir type books, but that's easily my favorite.

Did you see RHCP at the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame induction? It was ..."

No. I didn't get to see that. I'll have to try and catch a replay or maybe YouTube.

message 2823: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Aloha wrote: "After a few books, you'll find the same theories cropping up in some non-fiction science books. They make it layman friendly nowadays. It's funny that I recognize these theories being used in art..."

Hi, Aloha!

Thank you very much for that. I really appreciate it.:) Would you recommend I peruse the links prior to the books, or does it not make any difference..?
Robotics seems so intriguing to me!!

message 2824: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 71 comments Hi, Dustin! *waves*

I would peruse it. I'm ahead of you in being able to understand it because I've read some books by Steven Pinker and other books on evolution. But the links would give you some insight on how they aim to develop the robots based on their theories of how a human mind evolves and learn.

message 2825: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Okay. Another question: is it necessary to believe in evolution in order to understand the information?

message 2826: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 596 comments Aloha wrote: "Finished The Wind Through the Keyhole: A Dark Tower Novel. It was okay. The problem I have with the series is that it's uneven. Sometimes it's rousing good fun, other times I feel disconnected ..."

I think you'll like Wolves of the Calla better then, because it's pretty much entirely to do with Ro' and Eddie and Susannah and Jake and Oy, and all that stuff, and Oy's great in Wolves. :)

message 2827: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 71 comments No, but it's good to understand where that theory is coming from, which is more pragmatic about what constitutes a human mind. You might doubt or object to the theory of how a mind might be transferred to an android body.

Dustin wrote: "Okay. Another question: is it necessary to believe in evolution in order to understand the information?"

message 2828: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 71 comments Thanks, Kit. I plan to finish the series soon after catching up on some reads. I'm glad the next book deals with the main crew.

message 2829: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 71 comments Dustin, here's a couple of links to freak you out. It was posted in the Sword & Laser forum:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/16/ru...
http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/16/302...

message 2830: by George (new)

George Harting (gharting) | 28 comments Just started reading The Wind Through the Keyhole A Dark Tower Novel by Stephen King hardcover edition and listening to Winter Prey (Lucas Davenport, #5) by John Sandford audio edition.

message 2831: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Aloha wrote: "Dustin, here's a couple of links to freak you out. It was posted in the Sword & Laser forum:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/16/ru...
http://www.theverge.com/2012/5..."

Aloha wrote: "No, but it's good to understand where that theory is coming from, which is more pragmatic about what constitutes a human mind. You might doubt or object to the theory of how a mind might be trans..."

Oh, all right.:) Thank you very much, you're so sweet, Aloha!!

message 2832: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 71 comments You're welcome, Dustin!

message 2833: by David (new)

David McGowan (Dmcgowanauthor) | 18 comments I'm finally getting into Duma Key - 30% into it!

message 2834: by Jason (new)

Jason Baldwin-Stephens | 126 comments David wrote: "I'm finally getting into Duma Key - 30% into it!"

Awesome, David! I hope you're liking it. I've been thinking of giving that one another read before summer's end.

message 2835: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 71 comments You're welcome, Tom. Fact is stranger than fiction, and sometimes more interesting. That's why I love reading non-fiction, too. Where do you think writers get their ideas from? At the very least, it makes great party talk. LOL.

Tom wrote: "Aloha wrote: "After a few books, you'll find the same theories cropping up in some non-fiction science books. . . . Yep, you'll be popping out these terms at parties and impress people. But first,..."

message 2836: by Scott (new)

Scott (SHissong) | 371 comments Kit★ wrote: "I think you'll like Wolves of the Calla better then, because it's pretty much entirely to do with Ro' and Eddie and Susannah and Jake and Oy, and all that stuff, and Oy's great in Wolves. :)"

Wolves was my favorite book of the series. A few surprises and good action.

message 2837: by Tom (new)

Tom Mueller | 305 comments Indeed!
I can't think of any "good" author who has not stated that reading is the activity that most 'fine tunes' their craft, along with their variation of "write of what you know". I think that is a direct Faulkner quote (but we all know it is 'something' in the Oggsford Water). Larry Brown told us he set out to become a writer - to perfect his craft - by Reading (again, Oggsford water). In On Writing, Sai King said (I paraphrase) "If you don't have time to read, you'll never learn to write".

Aloha wrote: "You're welcome, Tom. Fact is stranger than fiction, and sometimes more interesting. That's why I love reading non-fiction, too. Where do you think writers get their ideas from? At the very leas..."

message 2838: by Tom (new)

Tom Mueller | 305 comments Aloha wrote: "After a few books, you'll find the same theories cropping up in some non-fiction science books. . . . Yep, you'll be popping out these terms at parties and impress people. But first, you'll be talking about House of Leaves until people are sick of you.
..."

Thanks AloHa! [typo corrected]
Family and friends; my bro-in-law in particular, think I'm nucking futs (they're right!), especially when I get on my soapbox regarding the Lovecraftian/Kingsian theory of "Other Wheres" and "Other Whens", more especially when I refer to the thin places. BOOLYA!!!!!!!
He gets this REAL strange look on his face, fear? then invariably asks if I really believe that. I 'poker face' him and carry-on about how true it ALL is, giving specifics as proof.
I love 'em all, my entire family, including Uncle Stevie!

message 2839: by Dana * (new)

Dana * (QueenofEgypt) | 41 comments Lena wrote: "I read In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin by Larson and thought it was just okay. ."

I got 2/3 of the way thru Garden but it is just too long, that book needed a better editor. I like the premise, (and i was listening to it on cd, which should make it go faster you would think), but when so much time is spent on describing the ambassadors physical at the doctor, i mean really, is that detail relevant?

message 2840: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 71 comments Hi, Tom. Goodreads is acting funny. The reply button is not working. Anyhoo, thank you for the typo correction. I knew that was a typo. I'm used to people mangling my real name, so I don't usually pay attention unless it's an insult.

As a writer, if you don't have great information in your head, you won't be spitting out great stuff. Show your BIL those videos, in particular the one that advertises what the future will hold. I swear, that sounds like something out of a SciFi film. It's amazing and weird that people are actually going toward that goal. Of course, that is an optimistic take. Reality has a way of dampening everything.

More books that I plan to read that might help clarify some things. Goodreads won't allow me to do an add book, so here's the old fashioned way:

Beyond Boundaries: The New Neuroscience of Connecting Brains with Machines and How It Will Change Our Lives
by Miguel Nicolelis

I Am a Strange Loop
by Douglas R. Hofstadter

message 2841: by Tom (new)

Tom Mueller | 305 comments Scott wrote: ""The Reploids" is an uncollected short story by Stephen King. It was published in the 1988 book Dark Visions."

I'm reading Dark Visions this very moment. I had to ILL the title. It arrived the other day from Rome, GA.
I'm in Citrus County, FL.

message 2842: by Beth (new)

Beth (mommyto3bees) Just started The Twelfth Child by Bette Lee Crosby

message 2843: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 3 comments Oh wow, that one looks good!

message 2844: by Holly (last edited May 22, 2012 07:11PM) (new)

Holly | 407 comments I just got books 6 and 7 in The Dark Tower series. I'm so excited! :) I can't wait to read them!

message 2845: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 596 comments Finished Wolves in the wee hours this a.m (well, I guess technically since it's now past midnight here, it was yesterday) before bed and gotta do my review yet, then I'll be on to Song of Susannah.

message 2846: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 71 comments I finished Railsea, which was terrific, though not my personal preference. It's Mieville's YA, but I would say a brainy child's YA. This would be a great book for the classroom. If you like trains and adventure, I'd highly recommend this book. I would love to see a movie of this. It would be fantastic. The world building is amazing. The writing style is tight and almost flawless, but I prefer my YA storytelling to be whimsical and more lively, as if talking to a child.

I'm starting Beyond Boundaries: The New Neuroscience of Connecting Brains with Machines and How It Will Change Our Lives, which ties in with my recent interest in robotics.

I'm still working on Mind Children: The Future of Robot and Human Intelligence. It's a paper book, so it's slow going for me, since I can't use the text to speech feature. Most of my time is spent doing visual or physical work, so the paper reading is slow going. But whatever I can read is making my mind spin.

message 2847: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 71 comments Good going, Kit! There are some monthly reads in the other forums that I have to do before I get back to the series. Also, I'm interested in robotics, so I'll be filling my head with it for a bit. When it comes to reading, I like to do whatever my mind gets excited by.

Kit★ wrote: "Finished Wolves in the wee hours this a.m (well, I guess technically since it's now past midnight here, it was yesterday) before bed and gotta do my review yet, then I'll be on to Song of Susannah."

message 2848: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 71 comments Tom and Dustin, here's another mind-blowing link that's related to robotics and the book I'm currently reading Beyond Boundaries: The New Neuroscience of Connecting Brains with Machines and How It Will Change Our Lives. It was posted in my Sword & Laser forum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogBX18...

message 2849: by Holly (new)

Holly | 407 comments I'm just starting The Kennedy Men: 1901-1963 by Laurence Leamer.

message 2850: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Aloha wrote: "Tom and Dustin, here's another mind-blowing link that's related to robotics and the book I'm currently reading Beyond Boundaries: The New Neuroscience of Connecting Brains with Machines and How It ..."

Thank you, Aloha!:) Where do you get all these interesting links, anyway?

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The One That I Want (other topics)
Infinite Jest (other topics)
A Room Swept White (other topics)
The Dark Tower (other topics)
Misery (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Michael B. Edwards (other topics)
Guillermo del Toro (other topics)
Titania Hardie (other topics)