Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

2011 Challenge Archive > RRRC's 1st Reading Tournament: Introduction and Guidelines

Comments (showing 1-50 of 280) (280 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Jul 12, 2010 10:08AM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8846 comments Do you have what it takes to be a “ readathlete”? Are you competitive enough to take a on a reading competition and match your ‘reading’ ability with your fellow readers? Can you endure when the going gets tough? Can you strategize with the best of them?

RRRC is proud to present its 1st Reading Tournament that will commence on the 15th of July 2010 and will run until the 15th of January 2011.

Inspired by the game The Longest Chain, the goal is to have the longest inter-connected list of read books by the end the Tournament.

There are Two Tracks, and you have a choice between two Relays for each Track. You can have two Tracks going on simultaneously.

Track One: You can either do Word Relay or Author Relay:

a) Word Relay: You can connect books by using a word that is in the preceding book’s title. Any word in the book’s title is acceptable except for the articles a, an and the, and any two-letter preposition (of, an, in, on, at, etc).

Example of a chain: Dark Lover; Dark Prince; Pleasure of a Dark Prince; The Pleasure Master; Master of the Night

b) Author Relay: Used the last letter of either the first or last name of the previous author to choose the next book.

Example of a chain: Kresley Cole; Rebecca York; Angela Knight; Tessa Dare; Elizabeth Lowell

Track Two: You can either do Title Relay or Copyright Year Relay:

a)Title Relay: This chain is based on the number of words in the title. You can go either up or down.

Ex: Hero At Large (3 words); Dead as a Doornail (4 words); Kiss of aDemon King (5 words); First Drop of Crimson (4 words)

b)Copyright Year Relay - This chain is based on the copyright year of books. You can go either up or down. Please use original copyright year only.

Ex: Up, Close and Dangerous (2007); DarkFever (2006); After Midnight (2005); Night Play (2004); If Angels Burn (2005)

Scoring:

Points are cumulative. First book is worth 5 pts, each succeeding book is 5 points more than the previous one.

Ex. Ist book – 5pts - 5pts
2nd book – 10pts - 15 pts
3rd book – 15pts - 30 pts
4th book - 20pts - 50 pts

You can continue with your chain as long as you can. If you hit a bump and want to start over, we will get the total of what you have so far, and then you start anew. We will get a final total once we’ve reached the tournaments end.

We will need you to post a start date and end date with each book read and there should be no overlapping. Books read can be used in other challenges outside of this tournament but not for both tracks.

Rereads are acceptable. Audiobooks are also allowed. A book over 400 pages will get an extra 5 points. By the nature of the tournament being point-based, I will discourage the use of under 100-pages novellas and/or graphic novels as entries.

Tournament will officially start on July 15th but anybody can sign up after that. You can post your list in advance or post as you go. However, you must post the book first before reading it, so we see the start date. You can have time lapses between finishing a book and starting the next one.

So, if you think you have the marks of a 'readathlete', put on your 'reading' shoes, and gear up for the competition.

Here is the link to the official sign-up thread:Link

message 2: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8846 comments I'm still tweaking the rules and such, but I also need feedback.

There will be a separate official participants thread that I will put up later.

Right now, if anybody has questions, this is the thread to go to.

message 3: by Dee, Moderator (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 6270 comments this sounds like fun...not sure if i'll do it yet - but Yz you have set a new standard!! I like the copywrite year...quick question - original copywrite, what if a re-issue was done?

message 4: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8846 comments Delicious Dee the book slut wrote: "this sounds like fun...not sure if i'll do it yet - but Yz you have set a new standard!! I like the copywrite year...quick question - original copywrite, what if a re-issue was done?"

Great question. I'm going by original copyright.

Sandy | 205 comments This sounds like fun but I'm not sure I could make the books I'm reading for other challenges work for this

Nita (gillnit) This looks great. I will probably end up doing Track One - Author Relay and see how far I get. Very unique challenge!

message 7: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8846 comments Nita wrote: "This looks great. I will probably end up doing Track One - Author Relay and see how far I get. Very unique challenge!"

You can actually have two Tracks going on at the same time.

message 8: by Dee, Moderator (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 6270 comments one more quick question - audiobooks count? re-reads count?

message 9: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Jul 10, 2010 05:42AM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8846 comments Delicious Dee the book slut wrote: "one more quick question - audiobooks count? re-reads count?"

Audiobooks, ebooks, rereads will count, as long as they fit the criteria of the relay you are using them in.

EDIT: Took out novellas and graphic novels.

southpaw285 | 588 comments Wow, Yz. I love this challenge! I think I say that every time you come up with a new one. I want to do this one...sign me up for real this time...lol. I think I'm going to do Track One, Word Relay. Can we post our list as we go, or do we have to post our entire list when we sign up?

message 11: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8846 comments southpaw285 wrote: Wow, Yz. I love this challenge! I think I say that every time you come up with a new one. I want to do this one...sign me up for real this time...lol. I think I'm going to do Track One, Word Relay. Can we post our list as we go, or do we have to post our entire list when we sign up?
"

You can do either way.

message 12: by Dee, Moderator (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 6270 comments if you are interested in doing the year one - you can arrange your bookshelf by year published (I routinely download mine in excel format)...so that could help...you can also search your shelves for certain words

message 13: by Dee, Moderator (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 6270 comments ok, I lied...another question...say if i decided to start with Track 1, option 1 and hit a bump...can i switch options, or do I need to stick with my initial one?

message 14: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8846 comments Delicious Dee the book slut wrote: "ok, I lied...another question...say if i decided to start with Track 1, option 1 and hit a bump...can i switch options, or do I need to stick with my initial one?"

You can definitely switch options. We will keep the points you earned in the track you started, and then add whatever points you get with the second track.

message 15: by Dee, Moderator (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 6270 comments lol...my brain is going a mile a minute trying to think of possible questions that people may have! ;) which are normally ones I have have too!

message 16: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8846 comments Delicious Dee the book slut wrote: "lol...my brain is going a mile a minute trying to think of possible questions that people may have! ;) which are normally ones I have have too!"

LOL...that's the purpose of this thread. I need as much help to make the rules as clear as it is to everyone, since this is sort of more complex than my normal type of challenges.

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2191 comments I can see how this would be very good for those in the Leaderboard. Fantastic idea, Yz!

Lili | 340 comments Wow Yz… I don’t know how you come up with this ideas… but I like it, count me in!
I think the real challenge will be to put together a list each month that works for this challenge and for the others too.

Quick question, is there a rule about the length of a book?, I mean, do I get the same points for a 85 page novel and a 850 book?
I’m not trying to cheat already, it’s just that I have some of those in my TBR.

message 19: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8846 comments Rossy wrote: "I can see how this would be very good for those in the Leaderboard. Fantastic idea, Yz!"

This Tournament will have its own leaderboard, so to speak. I'm excited just planning it, and wondering who will take the lead in this one.

Lili | 340 comments Delicious Dee the book slut wrote: "lol...my brain is going a mile a minute trying to think of possible questions that people may have! ;) which are normally ones I have have too!"

Oh I was wondering that too... thanks!

Kristi (Passion for the Page) (PassionforthePage) | 271 comments Very creative idea, Yz! I do have one question -- In the title relay, should we count subtitles? For example, would Artemis Fowl: The Arctic Incident be 2, 3, or 5 words? What about something like The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon? Thanks!

message 22: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8846 comments Lili wrote: Quick question, is there a rule about the length of a book?, I mean, do I get the same points for a 85 page novel and a 850 book?
I’m not trying to cheat already, it’s just that I have some of those in my TBR.

Very good question: I think if a person is reading a book with over 400 pages, I will give him/her an extra 5 points. Just either put the number of pages beside the post, or message me.

message 23: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8846 comments You guys are awesome. Love the questions.

message 24: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Jul 09, 2010 02:36PM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8846 comments Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: "Very creative idea, Yz! I do have one question -- In the title relay, should we count subtitles? For example, would Artemis Fowl: The Arctic Incident be 2, 3, or 5 words? What about s..."

We will count subtitles.

EDIT: Actually, I'm going to have to amend that. I'll give the poster a chance to use either.

message 25: by Dee, Moderator (last edited Jul 09, 2010 02:35PM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 6270 comments maybe something to consider...when people are tracking their books...have them use their initial thread posting, vice a new post every time they update and they can just put an updated statement on it or something...maybe its just me, but i know with some of the longer challenges its hard to keep track of which was your last post...just a thought...might make it easier for you to update the leaderboard too

one other thought...it would be really easy to someone to do the title tracker one with books in a series like the in death (since they all end with the same word...)

message 26: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8846 comments Delicious Dee the book slut wrote: "maybe something to consider...when people are tracking their books...have them use their initial thread posting, vice a new post every time they update and they can just put an updated statement on..."

You must have read my mind. : )

I'm about to post in the official thread, that this is the only challenge where I will want participants to edit instead of repost.

message 27: by Dee, Moderator (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 6270 comments great minds think alike ;)

Daffodil (Daffodil--RIPCranberry) | 945 comments For those of us that have multiple books in progress, we can read any other books alongside of these. It's only the ones we're going to add to a track that have to be sequential?

i.e.
Book 1 -- apply to this challenge
Books 2-3 -- started while reading book 1, not used
Book 4 -- applied as second book in this challenge

Is that clear as mud?

message 29: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8846 comments Daffodil wrote:For those of us that have multiple books in progress, we can read any other books alongside of these. It's only the ones we're going to add to a track that have to be sequential?

i.e.
Book 1 -- apply to this challenge
Books 2-3 -- started while reading book 1, not used
Book 4 -- applied as second book in this challenge

Is that clear as mud? ."

That is correct. Only books that are used within the same track are not allowed to overlap.

Lili | 340 comments So.. what info do you need?
Lets say I'm going with the author relay..

1. Moon Called by Patricia Briggs (292 pages) 07/15 - 07/20
2. Blood and Chocolate by by Annette Curtis Klause (288 pages) 07/21 - 07/25

Something like this?

message 31: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Jul 09, 2010 03:00PM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8846 comments That is well done, Lili.

EX:
TRACK ONE:
Author Relay:

TRACK TWO:
Title Relay

(Remember, you can have two tracks going on at the same time. You don't have to fill them all out at the same time, but you can continue to build the thread within the six-month period, if you get what I mean.)

Dina (MissDina) | 792 comments This one sounds fun... and challenging, LOL.

Questions:

1. Very often, I finish one book and start another in the same day. This wouldn't be considered overlapping, would it?

2. You (Yz) would be doing the scoring, right? Call me lazy, but I don't feel like doing math exercises. :)

❥☪LIZZ NEILL☪❥ | 638 comments I might try this one

message 34: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8846 comments Dina wrote: This one sounds fun... and challenging, LOL.

Questions:

1. Very often, I finish one book and start another in the same day. This wouldn't be considered overlapping, would it?

Nope. It won't.

2. You (Yz) would be doing the scoring, right? Call me lazy, but I don't feel like doing math exercises. :)

Yes. I would be the one doing that. : ) ."

message 35: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 6221 comments The copyright relay sounds very interesting- opens up a lot of books I may have never thought to read from years ago - can you reverse route in the middle? up a few years, back down, etc. Or put them in different threads- have two threads of the same track going at once or after you have finished the first? one going up in years, one going down- maybe from different time periods.

message 36: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8846 comments Fran wrote: "The copyright relay sounds very interesting- opens up a lot of books I may have never thought to read from years ago - can you reverse route in the middle? up a few years, back down, etc. Or put th..."

Just one track, but you can reverse route anytime, go up and down repeatedly.

message 37: by Dee, Moderator (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 6270 comments hey yz - i posted this above, but one other thought...it would be really easy to someone to do the title tracker one with books in a series like the in death (since they all end with the same word...)...not sure if you want to mention that at all...

Ceej (drqangel) i am too competitive by half lol. i think this is great. count me in

message 39: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8846 comments Delicious Dee the book slut wrote: "hey yz - i posted this above, but one other thought...it would be really easy to someone to do the title tracker one with books in a series like the in death (since they all end with the same word...."

LOL....hey, if someone wants to do that, that's fine with me. After all, in the final end, this tournament is really just another excuse to read more books.

Great series, by the way. I might used it myself.
: )

message 40: by Dee, Moderator (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 6270 comments oh i'm loving it...listening to rapture in death right now and the banter between eve and rourke with the VR sex scene was hilarious

message 41: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Jul 09, 2010 04:41PM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8846 comments Delicious Dee the book slut wrote: "oh i'm loving it...listening to rapture in death right now and the banter between eve and rourke with the VR sex scene was hilarious"

Thought it was funny how Eve was so embarrassed about her response to the VR program, and just adore Roarke's response to it. I'm currently on Vengeance in Death, and I just met a new character, McNab. He is funny.

Dina (MissDina) | 792 comments Oh man, I've already read ALL the books in the 'In Death' series. As rereads are allowed, maybe I would reread them all... again, for the nth time, LOL. I can't get enough of Eve and Roarke. Love them to death!

LibraryLass | 772 comments I've been out of the challenges for a few months, but this one intrigues me...QQ - can I just put books in as they fit? I mean I don't have to read them one after the other? Just thought this may be a way for me to get back into challenges with just putting books in that fit when I want to read them

message 44: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8846 comments LibraryLass wrote: "I've been out of the challenges for a few months, but this one intrigues me...QQ - can I just put books in as they fit? I mean I don't have to read them one after the other? Just thought this may..."

Not exactly sure what you mean, LibraryLass. You can add to your list as you see fit, but you read them in the order that you put them. Does that make sense?

message 45: by Dee, Moderator (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 6270 comments I think...and LL correct me if i'm wrong...but I think she is asking does she have to read books continuously for the challenge or can she read one, take a break maybe read one for another challenge, before starting another one for this...

Kristi (Passion for the Page) (PassionforthePage) | 271 comments Another question -- I assume (but I'm checking, cause you know how that ASSuming goes...) that you can't use the same book for two different tracks. In other words, I couldn't say (using your example from above):

TRACK ONE:
Author Relay:

AND

TRACK TWO:
Title Relay
1. Moon Called (2 words) by Patricia Briggs (292 pages) 07/15 - 07/20
2. Blood and Chocolate (3 words) by by Annette Curtis Klause (288 pages) 07/21 - 07/25

I'd have to pick and choose, right?

Michelle (Michelle_Mc) | 670 comments This one sounds like a lot of fun. I'm already mentally choosing my books. I'm going to be away from the monthly challenges for a bit & this one would fill that space perfectly. It's a lot less structured and as it's at my pace even better.

I just have to remember to post prior to reading. You can switch between your two threads and back again as many times as you like? Books over 400 pages get you extra points. Can you read 2 books at a time ONLY if one is from each thread? (I very rarely do this but just incase!).

And you have to choose:
Word or Author and Title or Year? You can't do Word and Author? Is that right?

I'm going for Author & Title to begin (maybe switch half way through or whenever I get stuck!) Bring on the 15th! :) Saying that it'll take me that long to figure out my first book for each track :)

message 48: by Dee, Moderator (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 6270 comments lol...i'm such a dork - I just took a look at my TBR pile and going publication year, I can go all the way down to 1976 with no problems...

Steph (Angel4492) | 386 comments LOL! Some of these posts are crackin' me up. Love it though, we all so into challenges that our brains seem to work the same way when trying to completely grasp Yz's unique ones.

Man O'Man I'm itchin' to say "Hell Yeah"! But, I'm going to have to settle for a "Hope To". It sounds like so much fun, Yz. Great job on the creation of this beaut!

I'm going to review what I have to read in 2010 to complete my existing challenges and see if I can make this work. In the meantime, I'll sit back and review this post regularly, as many of my questions are already posted, awaiting the official word.

One quick one though, Michelle mentioned (#47) "remembering to post prior to reading". Is that the case? Or could we update our post after, as long as we include the start/finish dates of that read?

Macwolf01 [Elise] (Macwolf01) | 939 comments Dee I'm impressed, that you can go that far back !!! I totally regret the book purge I was forced to do about 8 years ago. I miss my books!!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6