Every one's Choice discussion

Winners for August

Comments (showing 1-50 of 111) (111 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

Donna (DFiggz) | 3100 comments Mod
Go ahead and start picking for the August theme.

http://www.holidayinsights.com/moreho...

message 2: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

Book lover's Day!! I love it!!!

I think I will go with National Lighthouse Day.

message 3: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (NightOleander) | 676 comments How about a WWII book since it ended in August?

Or since there is a left handers day a book written by a famous left hander like Lewis Carroll?

message 4: by Molly (new)

Molly (mollystoddart) I kind of like Sisters Day!

message 5: by Trish (new)

Trish (TrishaG) | 84 comments I'm going to HAVE to go with Romance Awareness Month.
I know it's sooo unrealistic, but... It's nice to dream once in a while! LOL!

Plus there are a MILLION choices for Romance books:)

message 6: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (NightOleander) | 676 comments Or since there is a book lovers day we could all nominate our favorite book.

message 7: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I like Left Handers day... I'm left handed.

message 8: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (NightOleander) | 676 comments I am left handed too Ashley!

message 9: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Left Handers rock!

message 10: by Trish (new)

Trish (TrishaG) | 84 comments Ashley wrote: "Left Handers rock!"

TRUE!

message 11: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

OK> I am puttin up the polls now. I think that the first book choice will be out favorite book and then we vote for the second choice!

message 12: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (NightOleander) | 676 comments I'll start. I had to go through my read pile and my bookshelves because it is really hard for me to pick just one. I know right off the bat what my favorite childhood book is (The Secret Garden) and my favorite recently read book, my favorite book in this genre and that genre... After going through my books I would have to say, and will be nominating,Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë is my favorite book read as an adult. I read it twice in a row the first time I read it and watched the Masterpiece Theatre adaption of the book (best) three times in a row and no other book besides my favorite childhood book has done that to me.

message 13: by Isabelle (new)

Isabelle Allen | 5 comments I have just read a book by an author who is being compared to Kate Morton, The Art of Devotion by Samantha Bruce-Benjamin. It has a very Daphne du Maurier flavor.

message 14: by Vicki (last edited Jul 16, 2010 12:16AM) (new)

Vicki | 3 comments Loved Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell So quirky, fun and intelligent at the same time. I loved the characters and the villain "gentleman with the thistle-down hair." It has awesome characters. It is witty, fantastical, and makes a play on 19th century style writing. This is NOT a book to rush through.

message 15: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

Nominate for the 2 categories:

Cat. 1 - Your faveorite book
Cat. 2 - Sister's Day!

I love this.....

message 16: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

Here is a list for books for "Best Siblings Book" it may or may not help. I am still searching but in the meantime here is my cat. 1 nomination:

The Rice Mother by Rani Manicka

message 17: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

OK. I wanna read this book and it's been on my TBR since it's release so here is my nomination for Cat. 2:

The Murderer's Daughters by Randy Susan Meyers

I know it is going to be a hrad to read book due to it's sad sontents but I still will try to pursue it. I am sure it is a good read.

message 18: by Joan (new)

Joan Wise (joan46) | 49 comments Cat.1 Beach Music by Pat Conroy

Cat.2 The Murderer's Daughters by Randy Susan Meyers

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Cat 1. (Do I HAVE to choose?) I'm going to go with Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

Cat 2. The Wednesday Sisters by Meg Waite Clayton

message 20: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (NightOleander) | 676 comments Yes Lyn if I have to choose so do you! LOL

1.) Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

2.) Shanghai Girls by Lisa See

message 21: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

I have a lot of these books so that helps LOL

Jennifer nominated:
Grundish and Askew by Lance Carbuncle

message 22: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

So I will let the nominations go until tomorrow then I will put up the polls!

message 23: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (NightOleander) | 676 comments Can't wait to vote!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Me too!

message 25: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

Polls are up! Happt Reading!!!!

message 26: by Joan (new)

Joan Wise (joan46) | 49 comments Just voted. All good books!

message 27: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

I know! It will be good no matter what wins.

message 28: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Cat. 1: The Mists of Avalonby Marian Zimmer Bradley

Cat. 2: Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire

message 29: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

Oh boo! We already are voting!!!! I actually own the second one. Polls are up so u can vote

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) So - I just ordered Colleen's noms since they appear to be winning. I am first on the list for Jane Eyre, but 56th for Shanghai Girls. Looks like I might have to keep an eye out for that one.

message 31: by Trish (new)

Trish (TrishaG) | 84 comments Lyn M wrote: "So - I just ordered Colleen's noms since they appear to be winning. I am first on the list for Jane Eyre, but 56th for Shanghai Girls. Looks like I might have to keep ..."

Are you 56th on your library wait list? I just checked my library for it & there's no wait...

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Trish wrote: "Lyn M wrote: "So - I just ordered Colleen's noms since they appear to be winning. I am first on the list for Jane Eyre, but 56th for Shanghai Girls. Looks like I might..."

Trish - I just re-read my post. That was stupid of me, but yes, I meant on my library wait list. I was hoping that Shanghai Girls had been out long enough that there would no longer be a list, but no such luck. Amazon has it for 10.50, so I might go that route. Not sure.

message 33: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

Try half.com

message 34: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

Thanks so Colleen the winners for August are:

For Sister's Day: Shanghai Girls by Lisa See
and for Favorite Book: Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

message 35: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (SaRaH23L) Ooh, I've read both! Can't wait to discuss them :)

message 36: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

I read Jane Eyre but not the other so I will have to request it at the library. Is it on PB yet?

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Donna, Shanghai Girls just came out in Trade Paperback.

message 38: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (NightOleander) | 676 comments Yay me, I am so excited everyone liked my suggestions! I am in the process of buying a beautiful hardback copy of Jane Eyre off of ebay. It is my favorite book but I have been holding off on getting a copy because I have been searching for the perfect one at the right price.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I think I am going to get Shanghai girls that way, colleen. I can always trade it later.

message 40: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (NightOleander) | 676 comments It looks really good and it is a sister book which is why I nominated it. Hopefully Jen will get it too and read it with us. Books are always so much more fun when buddy read!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I agree, Colleen. I love buddy reading.

message 42: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

I am 82 of 82 at my library! But that's OK since I need to catch up on my monthly reads anyway.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I am really trying NOT to buy it. I am now 41 on the list, but I don't know how many total copies they have.... but I really want to read it, WAAAAAH! I may have to end up buying it.

message 44: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (NightOleander) | 676 comments Just buy it silly, I had to buy it. lol ;)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Have I ever told you that you are a bad influence. :)

I ordered it today.

message 46: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 145 comments She is, isn't she?

I put it on hold too... I'm 26th on the list. It's going to be a while but I guess it's better than the wait some of you will have. Poor Donna, 82nd on the list :(

message 47: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

Wahoo I went down a notch I am now 81!

message 48: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

You can buy the hardcover for $1.74 at half.com

http://product.half.ebay.com/Shanghai...

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) That is where I got mine, but it also costs shipping, so it is actually about $7, however, it is still $3 better than 10 for the paperback at Amazon.

Did you guys know that Lisa See also writes mysteries that are based on a Chinese protagonist. She has written three so far:
The Flower Net
The Interior
AND
Dragon Bones
and they had them bundled on Amazon, so I bought them.

It is all your fault, Colleen.

message 50: by Donna, The Pusher (last edited Jul 29, 2010 12:26PM) (new)

I wanna buy it so bad but it is just not in the budget! Even if it is $7 that pays for bread, milk, and maybe some eggs!!! ;-)

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Secret Garden (other topics)
Jane Eyre (other topics)
The Art of Devotion (other topics)
The Rice Mother (other topics)
The Murderer's Daughters (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Samantha Bruce-Benjamin (other topics)
Rani Manicka (other topics)