Novel Books & Reading Challenges discussion

Group Discussions > One book at a time or multiple?

Comments (showing 27-76)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 76: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) | 150 comments I have one in the car, and one on the iPod for workouts. Then in the house I usually have three or four- a nonfiction, a mystery, a play, and a historical or some other fiction going. The play is a recent addition to the mix because I have hundreds and am trying to whittle down the shelf-load this year. Typically two in the house are "real books" and one or two are on the kindle/iPad, so I can read in the dark at night after my husband falls asleep so the light doesn't bother him. I've been ripping through the plays since January-- sometimes two or three in a day (weekend) in addition to other reading.

message 75: by Laura (new)

Laura DeSimone | 101 comments I usually have 2 or 3 books on the go. The husband ask how can you do that, I tell him he wouldn't understand.

message 74: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (KristinaLawhead) | 573 comments Chelsea - I feel the exact same way! I usually get so wrapped up in a book that I can't read more than one. The only way I'll do that is if I go somewhere and get stuck waiting and have to buy a book to occupy myself

message 73: by Chelly (new)

Chelly (teamderek13) | 64 comments I only read more than one book at a time if I have to read one for school and am already reading one at home. For me it doesn't make sense to keep switching between books because I get so wrapped up in the plot of one, I don't want to put it down...No, no: one is good :)

message 72: by Kristen (new)

Kristen  (yogamamareads) | 59 comments During the school year, I have three going at once...one at home, one at my desk at school, and a Playaway in the car. When it's summer, only one, but they go faster.

message 71: by Sashana (new)

Sashana | 6358 comments Ditto. If I can't put it down then every other book will go on hold. I rarely find those books though.

message 70: by Liz (new)

Liz Fichera (LizFichera) I usually have two going at once, unless one of them falls into the I-CAN'T-PUT-IT-DOWN category.

message 69: by Sashana (new)

Sashana | 6358 comments On average I'd say I read 4 books at once at all times. I can't imagine reading 13 at once, I read six at once and by the end of the experience I was ready to pull my hair out. I've decided that, personally, reading so many books at once is slowing me down (which doesn't sound smart, but that's what I think).

message 68: by Shay (new)

Shay | 959 comments I kind of get discouraged if I don't finish a book every day. But, if I didn't have more than one book going, I'd probably have a harder time finishing a book because I don't always feel like reading a particular book. I've had as much as 13 books going at once and that's kind of stressful. But, I noticed that most of the books are different from each other- different genres, time periods, etc., so it's not as difficult as you'd think keeping track. I noticed that I really struggle if I have more than 2 chunky- 750+ page books- going at the same time. Maybe because there's usually a bunch of characters in a long, epic style book.

message 67: by Sashana (new)

Sashana | 6358 comments It's not that I have a problem with reading more than one, I do it all the time. But I find that it might take me a week to finish a book (while multiple reading) that I could read in a day or 2 if I read only one book. But like AH said, I do need a break from what I'm reading sometime. I have restless reading syndrome.

message 66: by Amy J. (new)

Amy J. | 507 comments usually multiple. One book I read at work during lunch. Another I read at home

message 65: by AH (new)

AH | 69 comments No problem on the multiple book reading. I have an ebook, and maybe one or two other books on the go. Sometimes the book I am reading needs a break (not me, the book).

message 64: by Sashana (new)

Sashana | 6358 comments I think I'm going to implement a two book rule. I can read multiple books at once but what I'm realizing is that's it's taking me really long to finish one book. Do any of you multiple book readers have this problem?

Angie (Mind Malfunction) (angieerickson) | 339 comments I used to read one book at a time, but I used to be super busy with work and family, television and movies. I also used to read rarely and only if the book was recommended and even then it felt like a chore. I've been on bed rest since the beginning of the year and now my passion for reading is prominent and strong. I always have a paper-book, an audio-book, and an e-book, on the go. I love to read and spend almost all of my time doing it. If it weren't for books, I would have gone crazy after the first month in bed. Thank you Books!

message 62: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (StacyBinNJ) | 58 comments I'm typically reading one book at a time but right now I also have a non-fiction book going. I can't read those cover to cover without a fiction break, no matter how good the book is. I also usually have one audiobook going but I listen to that mostly on the way to and from work. That's how I got through the whole Sookie Stackhouse series. Now I'm on to Dexter.

message 61: by Sheyla Oliveira (new)

Sheyla Oliveira (sh_alayne) | 1 comments I'm one book at the time person. Once I try to read 3 books but fell weird.

message 60: by Sashana (new)

Sashana | 6358 comments I hope it doesn't, crying and driving do not mix :). And thanks, Shannon I ty not to recommend books unless I really really like them.

message 59: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (IandSsmom) | 227 comments Well I sure hope it doesn't make me cry because I'm probably going to listen to it while I'm driving! But it sounds so good! And you are always good for a recommendation! :)

message 58: by Sashana (new)

Sashana | 6358 comments I think you'll enjoy it, Shannon. I usually try to stay away from books like this (I cry way too much while reading them) but it was on my to-read list for so long that I had to read it. I wasn't disappointed.

message 57: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (IandSsmom) | 227 comments Sashana wrote: "If the book is great (worthy of 5 stars) then I will definitely only read one book. But if the book is so-so (three stars or less-which they usually are) I read multiple to keep me from getting bor..."

OHH that does sound good! I'm putting it on hold for the audio!

message 56: by Sashana (new)

Sashana | 6358 comments If the book is great (worthy of 5 stars) then I will definitely only read one book. But if the book is so-so (three stars or less-which they usually are) I read multiple to keep me from getting bored. Like I was just reading Willow by Julia Hoban and it was so good I had to put everything else aside.

message 55: by Erika (new)

Erika | 134 comments Sashana wrote: *snatches chocolate and run*"

Ha ha! I wish I'd thought of that first :)

Marie wrote: "
When I watch TV shows, I don't watch all 8 seasons of one show before moving on to another show, so I do the same with books, and now I read as many as I want at a time! "

Oh, I really like your way of explaining this! Although if I find a show I really like I sometimes do watch multiple seasons at a time without really watching anything in between. Same with books. If one is captivating enough, I might just end up putting a bunch aside to read just that one.

message 54: by Sashana (new)

Sashana | 6358 comments Carol wrote: "<---shows up with box of chocolate-covered cherries and Vanilla Bean Frappuccino"

*snatches chocolate and run*

message 53: by Marie (new)

Marie (marie132) | 1 comments At first I only read one though, but I discovered I would need more time to read it because sometimes I wanted to read another book but I had to finish the current one first. So it would take ages, and I wouldn't be able to read the other one I wanted.

However, considering the time you put into reading a book, it's more like a 4 to 8 season series than a 2 hour movie.

When I watch TV shows, I don't watch all 8 seasons of one show before moving on to another show, so I do the same with books, and now I read as many as I want at a time!

message 52: by JoYee (new)

JoYee Chu (everintheshadows) i've once tried to read multiple books from the library, but it only made me confuse the multiple plots, and then end up having multiple books i haven't finished before i have to return them, instead of just 1 or two. I like to be able to concentrate my full attention to my Fantasy World, and Reality clearly.

message 51: by Elise (new)

Elise (elisebeth) Depending on the length of the books I tend to read two at a time. Right now I am only reading one book because of it's length and small font.

message 50: by AH (new)

AH | 69 comments I usually have 2 or 3 books going at the same time. One is on my Kobo, so it's the book I cart around with me. One is near the bed, and I usually have another on the go.

So many books, so little time.

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 738 comments <---shows up with box of chocolate-covered cherries and Vanilla Bean Frappuccino

message 48: by Sashana (new)

Sashana | 6358 comments Erika wrote: "Go ahead and steal it, Sashana! I might have to steal your idea of group exercise in return :D"

Lol, thanks Erika. And you can join us; just know that you'll probably have to run some laps while I dangle chocolate in front of you.

message 47: by Erika (new)

Erika | 134 comments Go ahead and steal it, Sashana! I might have to steal your idea of group exercise in return :D

message 46: by Sashana (new)

Sashana | 6358 comments Erika wrote: "I have Multiple Book Personality. I've lost count of how many I'm reading at the moment. It's a lot. I read parts of 5 different books all in one day this week and that's only a portion of them."

That's a good way to put it, Erika; Multiple Book Personality...I might have to steal your term ;)

message 45: by Sashana (new)

Sashana | 6358 comments Lauren wrote: "Sashana wrote: "Curves offered a free one month trial to all the girls at my school and I did it for a while. I had fun, which I think had a lot to do with the fact that I went with my friends. I r..."

*runs away screaming* don’t say the 'G' word lol. Lauren, I swear one day when we're older we have to meet up to exercise. And by exercise I mean I eat chocolate while you do laps.

message 44: by Erika (new)

Erika | 134 comments I have Multiple Book Personality. I've lost count of how many I'm reading at the moment. It's a lot. I read parts of 5 different books all in one day this week and that's only a portion of them.

message 43: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 958 comments Sashana wrote: "Curves offered a free one month trial to all the girls at my school and I did it for a while. I had fun, which I think had a lot to do with the fact that I went with my friends. I really can’t reca..."

Wow that's awesome I wish my school had a program like that! We just have gym every other day.

message 42: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 958 comments Lisa S wrote: "Normally I only read 1 at a time, but occasionally I have to read 2. Depends when one has to go back to the library."

That sounds about right to me.

message 41: by Lisa S (new)

Lisa S (kasey_k_fan) Normally I only read 1 at a time, but occasionally I have to read 2. Depends when one has to go back to the library.

message 40: by Sashana (new)

Sashana | 6358 comments Curves offered a free one month trial to all the girls at my school and I did it for a while. I had fun, which I think had a lot to do with the fact that I went with my friends. I really can’t recall why I stopped going though…

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 738 comments I hate exercising, too. That's why I picked a treadmill that would be easy to add a shelf for my books. I can listen to audiobooks on it, too since it has a plug in and speakers. I used to belong to Curves and I would stop in the early morning after my paper route since I had to drive right by it. But I quit my route back in 2008 when gas prices went sky high, so no more Curves. My hubby & I are going to join the YMCA Express just down the road. I want to use the strength training machines to build muscle since more muscle burns more fat. I figure we can motivate each other and since he was in the Marines he has plenty of motivation to throw around. :D

message 38: by JC (new)

JC (ainathiel) I don't recall if I answered this topic before and I don't want to look for myself either. I have tried to read more than one book at time. I end up neglecting one or all. It lessens my reading experience.

message 37: by Sashana (new)

Sashana | 6358 comments Shay wrote: "Is it wrong of me to hate exercising? I wish I could hire someone to burn calories for me by proxy. I've always hated working out, I'm a couch potato."

Shay, I hate exercising too. And every time I feel a bit guilty I eat some chocolate ;).

message 36: by Lauren (last edited Nov 12, 2010 06:02PM) (new)

Lauren | 958 comments Shay wrote: "Is it wrong of me to hate exercising? I wish I could hire someone to burn calories for me by proxy. I've always hated working out, I'm a couch potato."

There's nothing wrong with that at all! Excercise is hard work! Tiring too.

message 35: by Shay (new)

Shay | 959 comments Is it wrong of me to hate exercising? I wish I could hire someone to burn calories for me by proxy. I've always hated working out, I'm a couch potato.

message 34: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 958 comments It's awesome that you can read and work on the treadmill at the same time! Wish I had such skill!

message 33: by Sashana (new)

Sashana | 6358 comments Hey! Your 3 mph is way beter than my o mph.

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 738 comments It's great inspiration to get moving. I have Harry Dresden (Turn Coat) on my treadmill, so it's taking me forever to read. The good part is I want to keep walking to see what happens next. The bad part is I can't walk over 3 mph or I bounce around too much to read. lol

message 31: by Sashana (new)

Sashana | 6358 comments Carol wrote: "I usually have two or three going as well as listening to an audiobook with my kids in the evening. Of the ones I have going, one is dedicated to my treadmill. My husband built me a shelf so I can ..."

I would definitely exercise if someone dangled a book in front of me, or some chocolate :)

message 30: by Carol (new)

Carol (peppersgirl) | 118 comments Usually one novel, one audio book and one nonfiction book or magazine.

message 29: by Mckris10 (new)

Mckris10 | 224 comments I am definitely a one book at a time person. The only time that I can read two books at once is if one is non-fiction and the other is fiction, they have to be completely different. I get confused too easily otherwise. lol

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 738 comments I usually have two or three going as well as listening to an audiobook with my kids in the evening. Of the ones I have going, one is dedicated to my treadmill. My husband built me a shelf so I can read & walk. I pick a book I know I'll enjoy to stick on there, so I'm motivated to get walking. :)

message 27: by Virginia (new)

Virginia (MVirginiaM) | 2 comments I used to read one book at a time, but since it really helped me to read books in English while I was studying it, now that I'm studying Portuguese I go to the library, take books in Portuguese and I read them while I read my other books (in English and Spanish).

(But if I really get into one book, I read it and the others just have to wait xD)

« previous 1
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Fallen (other topics)
Willow (other topics)