Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Let's Talk About: Genre > Classics that you would like to read

Comments (showing 1-50 of 89) (89 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jasmin (new)

Jasmin (princ3ssjasmin) Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen :)
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Little Women by Luisa May Alcott
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery
The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

message 2: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I have a serious problem with the classics. But that's my reading resolution: READ THE CLASSICS. I'm bored already -_-

message 3: by Kathy Anne (new)

Kathy Anne (KathyAnne) I read Wuthering Heights in both High School and Collage and hated it.
I read it a couple of yrs ago and now Im obsessed with how fab this book really is

message 5: by Agent 99 (new)

Agent 99  (Agent99formerlykd) Fahrenheit 451. Bounced around a few high schools while my parents divorced and somehow managed to miss having to read that one completely. I will read it someday!

message 6: by Katherine (last edited Jul 09, 2010 09:52AM) (new)

Katherine | 218 comments Here is my list of must read classics: Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas Emma by Jane Austen Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë Little Women by Louisa May Alcott.

Danielle I have started Crime and Punishment but had to put it down for awhile. I will finish it one day.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) Katherine, I hope you end up enjoying Crime and Punishment when you get back to it.

message 8: by Alycia (new)

Alycia I second Jane Eyre and anything by Jane Austen.

message 9: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 218 comments Alycia wrote: "I second Jane Eyre and anything by Jane Austen."

I agree, all her works are worth reading.

message 10: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (BJRose) | 253 comments My goal is to read an average of one classic a month - last year I averaged two. So far in 2010, I've readOf Mice and Men, Fahrenheit 451, The Epic of Gilgamesh, The Pilgrim's Progress, The Picture of Dorian Gray, Three Men in a Boat, Brave New World, and several P.G. Wodehouse.

I'm currently reading The Man in the Iron Mask by Alexandre Dumas, then my must-read for the 2nd half of this year:
Beowulf A New Verse Translation by Anonymous, The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë, Daisy Miller by Henry James, and maybe Crime and Punishment  by Fyodor Dostoevsky or War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

I admit I 'read' some of my classics in audio - a good narrator can make the story compelling.

message 11: by Alycia (last edited Jul 09, 2010 10:00AM) (new)

Alycia Katherine wrote: "Alycia wrote: "I second Jane Eyre and anything by Jane Austen."

I agree, all her works are worth reading."

Katherine, what are you favorites? I find it interesting that everyone has different favorites. My favorite is Pride and Prejudice followed by Sense and Sensibility, and a tie between Mansfield Park and Emma.

message 12: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 218 comments My list would be: Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Persuassion, Sense and Sensibility and Mansfield Park.

message 13: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Has anyone read The Age of Innocence, North and South, or Anna Karenina? I want to read these, but have not yet. I read a different book by Gaskell, Wives and Daughters, but didn't enjoy it, so I am curious about North and South... love the movie with Richard Armitage.

message 14: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Katherine wrote: "My list would be: Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Persuassion, Sense and Sensibility and Mansfield Park."

Katherine, wow, we like the most of the same ones. I didn't enjoy Persuassion as much, but I have only read it once.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) I would definitely like to read more classics. BJ, I'm a little intimidated by epic poems, so I'm not sure I'll get around to Beowulf, The Odyssey, or The Iliad. But you have my respect for tackling Beowulf.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) I ahve read the Iliad and The Odyssey and honestly once you get into them you hardly notice the format, I loved them.

The classics that I most enjoyed (and there have been a few that I really didn't!) was:

Persuasion and Pride & Predjudice by Jane Austen
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

In regards to Jane Austen I know you are suppsed to love all her books, but I just couldn't stand Mansfield park, Fanny just annoyed me, I actually sided with her cousins!

message 17: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Suzanne wrote: "I ahve read the Iliad and The Odyssey and honestly once you get into them you hardly notice the format, I loved them.

The classics that I most enjoyed (and there have been a few that I really di..."

Mansfield Park, was slow in some part, but I loved the drama. I agree with you Suzanne, Fanny was not a strong heroine at all.

message 18: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 218 comments Suzanne, that is so funny. Fanny annoyed me as well. What did you think of "The Picture of Dorian Gray"? I read it and then had to see the movie.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) I really loved it. It has been a while since I have read it and I am definately going to reread it soon, but it has always stuck in my mind. There is something quite unique about that book, how you canl ike and loath Dorian at the same time. Did you like the film? I did, which suprised me as I wasn't expecting much of it, but I thought it was really good, although it didn't follow the book exactly I think it caught on to the essential ideas. What do you think?

Fanny just spoiled it for me, as normally Jane Austens heroines are quite fesity, but she was just...not, and I couldn't relate to her at all.

message 20: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Yep, not feisty.

message 21: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 218 comments After reading The Picture of Dorian Gray and Three Stories by Oscar Wilde I had to see how they would do the movie. It's been awhile since I have read it also, but as I remember the movie was pretty close. The book definitely stays with you.

message 22: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne I'd like to read Jane Austin, and Shakespeare, but only the romantic ones.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) I would start with Pride and Prejudice if you haven't read Jane Austen before, I do think that it is her best one, followed by Persuasion.

I have never tried reading Shakespeare unless it has been for school or college, I think I was one of the few who enjoyed it, lol but not enough to read it on my own!

message 24: by Alycia (new)

Alycia I agree with Suzanne, start with P & P Adrienne, I think S & S and Emma are good ones to read as well after P & P before you read her other works.

message 25: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 218 comments That makes 3, definitely start with P & P it's the best. I was totally obsessed after reading it. Had to watch the mini series and then the movie came out. I also really enjoy "Emma". A girl with tons of money and nothing better to do but match make. :)

message 26: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Thanks ladies! I'll give P &P a go, I haven't seen the film but do have one of those 'plot your own story books' which is based on P&P and was what made me think I should try and read something by JA:)

message 27: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Adrienne wrote: "Thanks ladies! I'll give P &P a go, I haven't seen the film but do have one of those 'plot your own story books' which is based on P&P and was what made me think I should try and read something by..."

Ohh I love the one with Keira Knightely, even though alot of people don't like that version. You can watch it on youtube in parts.

message 29: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 218 comments I lot of people can't picture another Darcy other than Colin Firth (which I like), but I also liked the movie with Keira.

message 30: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Thanks Sashana:) I like Keira Knightly, will give that a view.

message 31: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne I don't mind if it's not Colin Firth, he's so so for me.

message 32: by Mahyar (new)

Mahyar (theboywhochosetolive) | 14 comments I hope I don't die anytime soon then. Classics are really hard to read. =/

message 33: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Mahyar wrote: "I hope I don't die anytime soon then. Classics are really hard to read. =/"

I understand your pain Mahyar. The 'classics' can eaisly put me to sleep. But I'm going to try to read at least one classic per month.

message 34: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Katherine wrote: "I lot of people can't picture another Darcy other than Colin Firth (which I like), but I also liked the movie with Keira."

I've never seen that version, but I've seen the previews and they look boring. The Mr. Darcy in the 2005 version is really good though.

message 35: by Alycia (new)

Alycia I like the movie version with Keira Knightly as well.

message 36: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Alycia wrote: "I like the movie version with Keira Knightly as well."

She just has a talent when it comes to doing older movies.

message 37: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Sashana wrote: "Alycia wrote: "I like the movie version with Keira Knightly as well."

She just has a talent when it comes to doing older movies."

I agree, she did Elizabeth and her personality well.

message 38: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 218 comments They cast the movie well I thought, except for the dad. So much was lost there.

message 39: by Heather (new)

Heather | 504 comments P&P! Loved the movies but I know I have to read the book. I'm afraid that I might put it down since I'm not use to writing like that but it is a classic and I think it make me love the movies so much more..

message 40: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne The Keira movie is the one with Dame Judi Dench as the aunt...I'm going to like that:) Mr Darcy looks yummy too!

Carol *Young at Heart Oldie* For me 'A Christmas Carol' by Charles Dickens is my favourite classic. I just love this and the best film version in my opinion is the one with George C Scott as Scrooge.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) I prefer the BBC version of P & P with Colin Firth, I think he does Mr Darcy really well, the film was okay, but no one can beat Colin Firth emerging from the pond *sighs* he is so yummy!

The only Charles Dickens I have read is Great Expectations, and I have to say it was one of the Classics that I found quite boring : /

Another classic that I loved was Wilkie Collins, The Moonstone and The Woman in White.

message 43: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne I give a thumbs up to Wilkie Collins too, quite suspenseful and easy to read.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) They are, I was going through a phase of reading gothic novels, and those were a must.

Anothe classic that has had numerous films made from it is I Am Legend, it would be more of a modern classic, but if you like vampire fiction I think that it is a must read.

message 45: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 218 comments @Suzanne, I love the pond scene. I too found Great Expectations very boring.

message 46: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne I'll look into 'I Am Legend', I also want to readSunshine which I started to read as part of an overwhelming challenge and had to take back to the library.

Carol *Young at Heart Oldie* Suzanne wrote: "I prefer the BBC version of P & P with Colin Firth, I think he does Mr Darcy really well, the film was okay, but no one can beat Colin Firth emerging from the pond *sighs* he is so yummy!

The on..."

I just drooled over Colin Firth in P & P and I have posted a few photos on my profile.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) I have Sunshine coming up in a reading challenge aswell I am looking forward to rereading it as it has been a few years. And I would definately look into I Am Legend, it is brilliant and has one of the best endings ever.

Just checked out the pics on your profile Carol, and *drool* I actually have the BBC version on DVD I am so putting that on tonight!

message 49: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Thought I may be able to pick up a copy of P&P from the UBS, no luck though will try again on Monday.

Carol *Young at Heart Oldie* Suzanne wrote: "I have Sunshine coming up in a reading challenge aswell I am looking forward to rereading it as it has been a few years. And I would definately look into I Am Legend, it is brilliant and has one of..."

I have the DVD as well but have to watch it when my husband's not around as it drives him crazy because I'm constantly drooling every time Colin Firth is on screen.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Little Women (other topics)
The Little Prince (other topics)
Pride and Prejudice (other topics)
To Kill a Mockingbird (other topics)
Dracula (other topics)
More...