Karl and Clayton's Summer Book Club discussion

What Hath God Wrought

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mom2fab5 | 8 comments I am enjoying the description of life in 1815, I enjoy how he covers economics, religion, politics etc. all together. When I began home educating my children I fell in love with history but I am not as well read as I should be so I welcome this opportunity. Was hoping to read it more quickly but it's hard to avoid marking passages..

Mom2fab5 | 8 comments "This was not a relaxed,hedonistic,refined,or indulgent society. Formal education and family connections counted for comparatively little. The man who got ahead in often primitive conditions did so by means of innate ability, hard work, luck, and sheer willpower." pg 38

message 3: by Randy (last edited Jul 08, 2010 10:06AM) (new)

Randy Townley | 4 comments I love this one:

"Many American's interpreted their nation's destiny in religious terms, as preparing the world for a millennial age of free institutions, peace, and justice. A Methodist women's magazine explained the role that the electric telegraph would play in this process, revealing both the optimism and the arrogance characteristic of the time:
This noble invention is to be the means of extending civilization, republicanism, and Christianity over the earth. It must and will be extended to nations half-civilized , and thence to those now savage and barbarous. Our government will be the grand center of this mighty influence... The beneficial and harmonious operation of our institutions will be seen, and similar ones adopted. Christianity must speedily follow them, and we shall behold the grand spectacle of a whole world, civilized, republican, and Christian... Wars will cease from the earth. Men "shall beat their swords into plough shares, and their spears into pruning hooks." ... Then shall come to pass the millenium.'"

Unbelievable!!! A couple of things come to mind -- this same evangelistic approach was used with the advent of the Internet (among other inventions). And like the advent of the TV -- people foresaw changed people and changed worlds.

There certainly has been much change since those times - but I don't think they have come to the same "end" as the author of that article expected. :o)

Of course, the opposite view has also held true: see Neil Postman and Marshall McLuhan

Alcush | 5 comments Wow! There is so much that I did not know. Read the description of the burning of the White House to my 9 yo son. Great conversation ensued.

Pat | 8 comments I am NOT a fan of either Jackson or Jefferson. Here in the South, Jackson is reveared so I'm looking forward to being reeducated on the Bank Wars. This is going to make a great background read for me and I'm looking forward to using exerpts for my Advanced Placement class this year. Looks like it will be a good read.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I always wonder what Jackson7 woulddo with the federal reserve bank.

Pat wrote: "I am NOT a fan of either Jackson or Jefferson. Here in the South, Jackson is reveared so I'm looking forward to being reeducated on the Bank Wars. This is going to make a great background read fo..."

Alcush | 5 comments While I am enjoying this book, I really don't see me finishing it by tomorrow. Anyone else having this problem?

Randy | 1 comments Here here!

unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

Marshall McLuhan (other topics)
Neil Postman (other topics)