Sarah Dessen Book Lovers Group discussion

Sarah Dessen and her books. Why do we love them so much?

Comments (showing 1-40 of 40) (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

So we all agree that we love Sarah Dessen's books and we do have a favorite of her books.

But why do we love her books? why is that book our favorite? Well do tell...

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I love her books because she makes the characters so realistic, it's easy to relate to them.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

My favorite book of her's is The Truth About Forever because of the beautiful story line.

I won't justify the way I live my life (twi-hard) | 1 comments I love her book Someone like you

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Chickee Nickerson wrote: "My favorite book of her's is The Truth About Forever because of the beautiful story line."

I love that book also. I just thought that it was funny and yet her books are about what happens today

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

♥Jacob Black is sexy♥ wrote: "I love her book Someone like you"

yea I like that one too

message 7: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (queenker09) The Books are about differnt girls going through so many different things so it gives the reader some character to be able to relate to. the story lines are great, they make you feel apart of their lives. My favorite would have to be about lock and key because it was great to listen to on audio CD and when it was over i felt like i lost a friend lol

message 8: by Erin (new)

Erin | 2 comments I love all the books because they are easy to read and easy to relate as well. Lock and Key was my first book and after that I just got addicted I finished it in one day and then I just searched for more of her books. I must say along for the ride and truth about forever are my favorite books by Sarah Dessen!!!

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahazhar) | 1 comments Yeah I love the books because it's so easy to relate to the characters. I mostly read them because I love most of her characters.
I love Just Listen, Dreamland and Keeping the Moon. I started with Lock and Key and I loved but I don't remember it now and have to read it again to review it. I left The Truth About Forever for the end because people really like it and that's the only book I'v yet to read.
Oh and her books also help me identify my feelings and sort out them out (if you get what I mean).

message 10: by Kelsi (new)

Kelsi (4ever2short95) | 2 comments i think people like her books so much because they fall in love with the characters and want things to work out for them and because some of them can relate from past experiences. and everyone has had their heart broken at least once so it makes you feel good when it can work out for someone els...even in a book:) and my favorite books were along for the ride, lock and key,and the truth about forever.

message 11: by Erin (new)

Erin | 2 comments Kelsi wrote: "i think people like her books so much because they fall in love with the characters and want things to work out for them and because some of them can relate from past experiences. and everyone has ..."

I love them too!!!!

message 12: by Isabelle (new)

Isabelle Zwicker | 1 comments They are reliable and have real teenage problems, all of which we can relate to. PLUS, they're amazing :P

message 13: by Mariah (new)

Mariah Kate | 6 comments she just undersatnds how teens work and more importantly how we love and feel...but most importantly she undersatnds and about cheesy relationships in highschool :) its a great day when i read sarah dessen books

message 14: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (strawberrybubble) I love Sarah Dessen's books because i can relate to each and everyone of her characters. I always get completely lost in her books and once i start reading them i can't stop. She makes the charcters so honest and realistic that you feel like you can be friends with all of them

message 15: by Rhythm.709 (new)

Rhythm.709 x33 | 3 comments Mod
Veronica wrote: "I love Sarah Dessen's books because i can relate to each and everyone of her characters. I always get completely lost in her books and once i start reading them i can't stop. She makes the charcter..."

yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Soooooooo true. She also uses the language us pre-teenagers usee!!!!! ilove her!

message 16: by Rhythm.709 (new)

Rhythm.709 x33 | 3 comments Mod
and teenage gurls *****

message 17: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (ifallnowhere) I personally love her books because they're about typical teenage girls going through typical and not so typical tings so its pretty easy to relate to them, and I love the girl power she adds to them, it just makes them that much better. :)

message 18: by Valeria (last edited Jul 05, 2011 07:46PM) (new)

Valeria (theautumnskies) I love her books because she always creates unique and fun characters that you can easily relate to. I also like that she always adds a background story to compliment the novel and help the reader understand the character's past, which makes them who they are in the present. I also believe that Sarah Dessen has an amazing writing style! Her books are easy to understand and the best part is that you learn something new and useful with every single one of her novels :)

message 19: by Tiffany (last edited Jul 09, 2011 07:59PM) (new)

Tiffany (tiff0505) | 1 comments I love her books because there is heart and passion in her writing. Her characters, though flawed in some ways find their-selves and you can relate to them. Her stories can transcend race, age, etc. The Truth About Forever made me cry for days, I didn't want to return it to the library. Thank goodness for Mrs. Libby because she actually let me keep the book. ;)

message 20: by Mella (new)

Mella (bella_mella) | 1 comments I agree with what everyone said here! It's so easy to relate to her characters. I've read a lot of YA romances and none of them have ever surpassed Dessen's writing. I guess I would say that there are parts when her writing is light and airy but then there are times when it's severe and cuts you to pieces.

Plus, how many great quotes are in her novels? And how many amazing guys? Honestly, "SA-WOON!"

The Romance Bookie (TheRomanceBookie) | 3 comments Sarah Dessen is such an amazing writer! I have truly enjoyed all of her books! My absolute favorite by her is "Along for the Ride" it's a book I never get tired of, every time I pick it up it feels like I am reading it again for the first.

Her character become so alive for me, and like everyone said here they are so relate able, because either way you share something with that character, or you know someone who relates. It's amazing! And I also agree with how realistic her stories are. Sarah Dessen is in top three writers definitely!

Her new book "What Happened to Goodbye" is REALLY good too! I read it last week and LOVED it! :)

http://romancebookie.blogspot.com/

message 22: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (nkua) | 1 comments Hmm.
I like Sarah's books because the characters are relate-able. They are flawed just like us and yet somehow throughout the book, they get to discover who they are and change for the better. Most of all I like them because they tell of second chances.

message 23: by Aa'Ishah (new)

Aa'Ishah I love her books because they have really good storylines,and I agree with everyone who talks about being able to relate to the characters. They're real, and so are the problems they deal with and the things they go through.

message 24: by Travis (new)

Travis Haight (redmidnight85) I am sure that I am going to be way out of the demographic that typically makes up Sarah Dessen's readership, but I have become a die-hard fan as of this past summer. Then again, I periodically get strange looks IRL when people see me browsing, buying, or reading chick lit (especially with some people at work), but I have really learned to care less.

I started Dessen reading Just Listen as per the advice of a librarian at my town's library. I immediately loved how multi-dimensional the characters were, and how no one character ever becomes static. I also found myself laughing hysterically over characters such as Mallory, with her obsession over fashion and pop music, but also over her complete ignorance over things (namely, music) outside of this arena; the scene in her wearing "punk clothes" because a favorite pop star "does it better" than Black Flag comes to mind.

I think maybe I love Dessen for the same reason that I love chick lit and female-geared YA in general; I have found myself always being able to relate to females a lot better to males for the most part (except now for a couple of other guys who also share my love of these books and indie/emo rock, for instance), so I like reading these stories accordingly. For me, it reminds me of having conversations with my best friends.

I have also, like a lot of you guys it sounds like, found myself able to relate to a lot of the story lines, but especially what the main characters go through. Like, when I read Keeping the Moon and Along for the Ride, especially, I found myself plucked out of where I was and put in a place where I am forced to get accustomed. Also, in relocating to such a place, feeling at first that I had nothing in common with a lot of people, I started to discover that I shared mutual loves of some things once I began to get to know some people, actually began to talk to them.

On a final note, a lot of the guys in the story aren't your archetype male characters that litter a lot of other YA lit; the cocky jocks, the bad boys, the wanna-be Abercrombie models, to name a few. The guys Dessen creates are the kind of people that are not only real, but the kind I would definitely love to hang out with in real life. One especially that it would be a blast to hang with, especially to do a radio show with would be Owen. I also love Eli, but especially Norman, because I've also been through some phases because I felt like a failure, but also for different reasons.

Okay, hope this answers the question. Glad to have found this group.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

The characters are realistic.
I can relate to pretty much all of them.
The boys she creates are just heavenly!
There is always something around the corner!
Romance!
Her structure is beautiful, no slow parts it just flows. I wish I could be as good as her some day. :)

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I like her books because the characters are realistic, they usually remind me of people I know, all her books are well written, and at the end of each book theres a cliff hanger that keeps me thinking about where the story goes from there.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Although there is that same equation she uses for all her books, there is a book for everyone to relate to. Her characters are realistic, and her guys are always AMAZING (;

message 28: by it's just me! (last edited Apr 16, 2012 04:33PM) (new)

it's just me! (iamforgiven) | 3 comments Sydney wrote: "I like her books because the characters are realistic, they usually remind me of people I know, all her books are well written, and at the end of each book theres a cliff hanger that keeps me think..."

I agree.After I finish each book I usually imagine a HEA for all of the characters.In every book I'm like that reminds me of so-and-so and I feel like I'm among friends while I read.

message 29: by Lauren (new)

Lauren   Grace (Just Keep Spinning) | 5 comments I love her books because they're real, not something that wouldn't happen to anyone. They're real problems and help you understand them. They're also entertaining and you can relate to the charachters.

message 30: by Sidney (new)

Sidney (wollwritingkid) | 4 comments Everybody keeps talking about the characters but I mainly love the books because there's so much deep meaning in everything she writes. I find myself being touched by the tiny details she adds. For instance Lock and Key- when Cora holds Ruby's hand when Jamie is mad at her? That made me want to start bawling. I love how she incorporates sisters a lot and shows that you'll always have a deep connection with your sibling put through certain circumstances.

message 31: by Fadeelah (new)

Fadeelah | 5 comments I love her books because they are easy to relate to. She also has amazing characters who I love and just the general themes of the book are awesome. Her books are really addicting to read.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

She writes sense and morality. None of her books are absurd, they can all be related too and understood. I especially love the way she uses linguistic features and juxtaposition. Her way of writing is amazing and astound!

message 33: by ↬ Sarah ↫ (new)

↬ Sarah ↫ | 15 comments Sarah Dessen just has a way with words. Her beautiful realistic fiction makes my tingle inside. I love how she takes problems teens face, puts a fun twist on everything, turn it into a book, and voila! It prepares kids and makes an extremely enjoyable book. The thing about Dessen is that there's never a good stopping point in her books. You always want to keep reading, it would be a terrible book to have a teacher read aloud, because she would never know when to stop. Anyway, love you Dessen, keep writing please! <3

message 34: by Lo (new)

Lo (DarkAlleyCookies) | 27 comments I just like the way she can make me sorta feel something. Of course I read her books while I was a bit younger but whenever I go back it gives me good memories...and there are always little details I miss the first time that are so cute to find

message 35: by Monet (new)

Monet | 1 comments I love Sarah Dessen's books because you can connect to them, you can read over and over again, and because she's awesome(DUH).

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

I love her books because they are very realistic and I can usually connect to them in different ways. Her books are awesome!!!

message 37: by AutBenj1 (new)

AutBenj1 | 10 comments I love that her books will never get old because she doesn't often mention technology and anything that would be relevant only to a certain year, it makes them so much better!

message 38: by Lo (last edited Jul 03, 2013 01:21PM) (new)

Lo (DarkAlleyCookies) | 27 comments She was the first author I read that only wrote good books with meaning that I actually liked, so she became one of my favorite authors. I think she sugarcoats some of it, but I like her happy endings.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

She puts meaning in her books and relates them to real life issues girls are going thru

message 40: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Khyla White (tiffanykhyla) Everything she writes about is so relatable. Even though her books are so diverse, I somehow always feel connected to the main character. I've just been a fan for so long. I love all of her books.

unread topics | mark unread