Young Writers discussion

Group Book Discussion > Group Book Discussion Suggestions

Comments (showing 289-338)    post a comment »

Allison | 131 comments Holden wrote: "I ALSO SECOND OKAY FOR NOW."

Love that one.

Allison | 131 comments I say the Maze Runner. Or Steelheart. Yes, Steelheart is awesome. Oh, and the 13th Reality series. And Variant. And Blackout. Sorry, I'm a bookworm.

I'm fine with basically anything as long as it's clean..........

Clean as I define it:
--Nothing past innocent kisses, and not too many of those. Childlike on the romance.
--Not a lot of language.
--violence? Um..... If it describes the whole process of getting an arm chopped off in two pages, then I'll probably pass out.

message 336: by Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* | 10894 comments Mod
Yeah, there's some drugs and language and sexual stuff ... plus some stuff about suicide which could be triggering to some people.

Alicia (Lav) | 22568 comments Mod
Yeah, the only thing I was thinking off was the sexual content and drug alcohol issue. Like, I don't think it's a problem but I just wanted to give a warning for younger kids (like the 11ish aged kids in this group)so someone doesn't end up reading something they aren't comfortable with because of this group.

Jane [and live like we're still alive] (janecs) | 1854 comments Maxy wrote: "I have a question: What would be considered "questionable" about Perks of Being a Wallflower? I haven't read it and honestly want to know. If it's a spoiler, you could PM it to me or something."

Um... it's been a while since I read it, but part of it is the honesty of the book--it's written from the perspective of a freshman boy who pretty much writes exactly what he thinks. There's also some drug/alcohol use and sexual content, if I remember correctly.

message 333: by Maxy (new)

Maxy | 5172 comments I have a question: What would be considered "questionable" about Perks of Being a Wallflower? I haven't read it and honestly want to know. If it's a spoiler, you could PM it to me or something.

On the Jellicoe Road and The Perks of Being a Wallflower tied for the most votes in the poll that I may have forgotten to check for several days so I'm going to make them both group reads! That way, Perks can be a group read and we can talk about the movie when it comes out, but people who don't want to read something that may be questionable will still be able to participate in group discussions! :D And I love them both which is always a plus.

Jane [and live like we're still alive] (janecs) | 1854 comments Yup. Well... yes, now, I guess.

Maria and I used to be the only little kids, and we're 14 now, but there's a lot more people our age now. I'm pretty sure that was when we were, like, 11 or 12.

Mandy  | 10724 comments Nermeen wrote: "ooooh :) cool
I'm guessing I'm probably somewhere in the middle?"

There are a ton of 15 year olds in this group, I think. 14-18 seems to have the most peeps.

message 329: by Alicia (Lav) (last edited Aug 13, 2012 09:17PM) (new)

Here is the poll for the August/September group read! It's open until the 20th, so go vote on which book you'd rather read before it's too late. :D http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/69...

Yeah, that's what I'd say.

Nermeen | 122 comments ooooh :) cool
I'm guessing I'm probably somewhere in the middle?

I'm not sure if it is or not. The main group of people I'm friends with in this group is on average between 16-18. But we have people who are in college, we have pre-teens, we have some actually children, and I have friends here from some various ages.

Jane was just saying that because back in the day we had this tight friend group and Maria and Jane were the little children of the group and now there are people in this group that are younger than them and it's strange. xD

message 325: by Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* | 10894 comments Mod
Heh yeahhh. The thing is, when this group started out a lot of people were like, 12. And now they're all several years older. So it's become more of a teenager/adult group. :P

Nermeen | 122 comments I'm fifteen too... I didn't know that was young in this group xD

Oh my word. That's so strange.

Jane [and live like we're still alive] (janecs) | 1854 comments I guess that Maria and I AREN'T really the youngest ones anymore. We used to be... but I'll be fifteen in a couple months.

That is true, Holden. I don't want anyone to be excluded... and we read Paper Towns for our first group read, which is a YA book, but it didn't have anything too inappropriate in it, and Perks does... so. Hmm.

Holden (raphael_hythloday) | 3809 comments Eh, I don't know. I feel like we should try to include all our members, even the youngest ones. But maybe that's a decision that should be left up to the voter.

OH and additionally I want to add a book that I really really want to read: THE DAYDREAMER by Ian McEwan. He's this awesomely talented writer, but he writes very adult novels, only it turns out he wrote a J novel in 1999 or something and YAY I must read it. Anyway.

Jane [and live like we're still alive] (janecs) | 1854 comments Lav [until your heart stops beating so fast] wrote: "I think we can put Perks on the list as long as we issue a warning that is could be inappropriate for younger readers. (If it wins.) But that's just my opinion. What does everyone else think?"

Okay. Because I think it would be a really good choice, but I don't want anyone getting in trouble or anything. :/

Those are extremely hard to get a hand on, though. :/

message 317: by Jo (new)

Jo (Penname8) | 1573 comments SUPERHEROES/COMIC BOOKS.=EPIKKNESS.

I think we can put Perks on the list as long as we issue a warning that is could be inappropriate for younger readers. (If it wins.) But that's just my opinion. What does everyone else think?

Jane [and live like we're still alive] (janecs) | 1854 comments Have we already read The Perks of Being a Wallflower? Because it's an amazing book and there's a movie coming out this fall. But really, it's AMAZING. Although, not a book for young readers... so in that case...

Yue [Wonder of living] (swimgeek101) | 4458 comments Lav [until your heart stops beating so fast] wrote: "~Yue~ [Starless Nights Will Cover Day] wrote: "Okay for Now, as my top nomination, yes?
Or Jellicoe Road/Saving Francesca. I love Melina Marchetta, man."

Oh my word, On the Jellicoe Road was so fa..."

I know. I want to read it again, and I just read it recently.<3

Iviana (The Sign Painter) Mʘ‿ʘP (TheSignPainter) I nominate Invisible Cities, by Italo Calvino.

Holden (raphael_hythloday) | 3809 comments THE REPORT CARD. That book was the only reason I survived 5th grade.

I nominate Nory Ryan's Song and The Report Card.

~Yue~ [Starless Nights Will Cover Day] wrote: "Okay for Now, as my top nomination, yes?
Or Jellicoe Road/Saving Francesca. I love Melina Marchetta, man."

Oh my word, On the Jellicoe Road was so fantastic.

Awesome nominations, guys. :D I'm going to put all of them in the poll and then whichever one wins will be th one we read. So if you don't agree with a book, don't vote for it. xD

Nermeen | 122 comments Anushe wrote: "How about the Hunger games????"

Maybe not... cause its already been talked about a lot, don't you think?

Anushe | 1 comments How about the Hunger games????

Nermeen | 122 comments How about Divergent?

Holden (raphael_hythloday) | 3809 comments I ALSO SECOND OKAY FOR NOW.

Yue [Wonder of living] (swimgeek101) | 4458 comments Okay for Now, as my top nomination, yes?
Or Jellicoe Road/Saving Francesca. I love Melina Marchetta, man.

Holden (raphael_hythloday) | 3809 comments In case it didn't get counted because it was on the other thread, I nominate WHEN YOU REACH ME, by Rebecca Stead.

Nermeen | 122 comments Oh wait, stupid question- of course its here... didnt see the thread name :P

Nermeen | 122 comments Yay! Do we post nominations here or in another thread?

M'kay, so it's probably time to choose a new group read! I feel like the way we chose a book last time went well, so let's do that again. xD Everyone nominate the books you want to read until August 11th and then I'll make a poll and everyone can vote on the book they want to read the most.

Nermeen | 122 comments <3 this book!
good choice :D

Huzzah! :D

Yue [Wonder of living] (swimgeek101) | 4458 comments That book just came in the library yesterday. Perfect timing, Lav!

M'kay, so there were tons of books that had two votes and the book I voted for only had one... so I switched my vote.

THE NEW GROUP READ WILL BE: Wonder by R.J. Palacio
YAAAY! Everyone go get it from the library or your local bookstore or Wal-Mart or wherever you get books and we can discuss it.

Yue [Wonder of living] (swimgeek101) | 4458 comments Oops I might've written in Wonder twice.

Holden (raphael_hythloday) | 3809 comments ...SMARTY-PANTS.

Holden, dear.

Lav [lately I've been feeling] wrote: "It's open until Wednesday.

Tesni (okayfrancis) | 4979 comments ~Yue~ [Starless Nights Will Cover Day] wrote: "I've really wanted to read Wonder.
It looks amazing and everyone seems to love it."

ah, yes, Wonder! That was a very good book, and also it's one of those crossover books and I imagine that the subject matter would make for very good discussion.

message 291: by Tesni (last edited Mar 30, 2012 02:45PM) (new)

Tesni (okayfrancis) | 4979 comments Lav [lately I've been feeling] wrote: "Here is the poll! It's open until Wednesday, when we can start reading whatever book has been chosen.
http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/63......"

Cheri & The Last of Cheri is one of her most popular works, amirite? Although on second thoughts it's might not be terrible appropriate. Hmmm.

Holden (raphael_hythloday) | 3809 comments I wasn't sure what to vote for...I like so many of the choices! When does the poll end?

Holden (raphael_hythloday) | 3809 comments ~Yue~ [Starless Nights Will Cover Day] wrote: "I've really wanted to read Wonder.
It looks amazing and everyone seems to love it."

YES. Our stupid library is taking forever to buy it, though. :-P

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Hunger Games (other topics)
Hate List (other topics)
The Book of Awesome (other topics)
Mockingbird (other topics)
Breadcrumbs (other topics)
More...