Romantic Historical Fiction Lovers discussion

MEET OUR RESIDENT AUTHORS > OUR "RESIDENT" RHF AUTHORS

Comments (showing 1-50 of 296) (296 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Emery Lee (AuthorEmeryLee) | 900 comments Mod
Hi Everyone- in order to enhance our reading experience, I have been reaching out to authors whose works we have nominated for our group book shelf. Several have responded so I have designated this section as a "meet and greet" for our resident authors. Feel free to ask questions and share remarks about their work. Enjoy!

message 2: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (last edited Jul 07, 2010 12:47PM) (new)

Carrie Lofty
Author of SONG OF SEDUCTION - set in 19th century Austria and SCOUNDREL'S KISS, set in medieval Spain.
The Historical Novel Society praised her ability to skirt the line between romance and historical fiction. Carrie Lofty Song of Seduction by Carrie Lofty

message 3: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (last edited Jul 07, 2010 12:42PM) (new)

Judith James
Broken Wing
Highland Rebel: A Tale of a Rebellious Lady and a Traitorous Lord
Libertine's Kiss
Author of impeccably researched historical romance set in the 17th and 18th centuries. Judith James Libertine's Kiss by Judith James

message 4: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (last edited Jul 07, 2010 12:46PM) (new)

Christy English
Author of medieval biographical fiction
The Queen's Pawn Christy English The Queen's Pawn by Christy English

message 5: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (last edited Jul 07, 2010 12:44PM) (new)

Catherine Delors
Mistress of the Revolution
For the King
Author of Napoleonic era historical fiction Catherine Delors Mistress of the Revolution by Catherine Delors

message 6: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (last edited Jul 07, 2010 12:46PM) (new)

Debra Denson
Magician's Spell
Author of Napoleonic era historical romance Magician's Spell by Debra Denson

message 7: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (last edited Jul 07, 2010 12:47PM) (new)

Emery Lee
The Highest Stakes
Author of Georgian era romantic historical fiction The Highest Stakes by Emery Lee

message 8: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (last edited Jul 07, 2010 09:29AM) (new)

Charlie Courtland
Dandelions in the Garden
The Hidden Will of the Dragon
Author of 16th century historical fiction

Christy English (Christy_English) | 67 comments Emery wrote: "Christy English
Author of medieval biographical fiction
The Queen's PawnChristy EnglishThe Queen's Pawn by Christy English"

Thanks Emery! Hello All: I am thrilled and honored to have my book open for discussion on RHF.

The Queen's Pawn is about two powerful women who find themselves torn between the power they crave and their love for each other. Eleanor of Aquitaine raises Princess Alais of France to be the daughter of her heart, but when the young princess catches the eye of King Henry II, Eleanor and Alais are both drawn into a web of deceit and betrayal.

If anyone has any questions about the book, before or after they read it, I would be happy to answer them here...

Christy English (Christy_English) | 67 comments Emery wrote: "Catherine Delors
Mistress of the Revolution
For the King
Author of Napoleonic era historical fictionCatherine Delors[bookcover:..."

This book is coming out tomorrow...it is fabulous. I read it in three days...

message 11: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Jessica James Jessica James
Shades of Gray: A Novel of the Civil War in Virginia Shades of Gray  A Novel of the Civil War in Virginia by Jessica James
Author of Civil War era Historical Fiction

Jessica (JessicaJames) | 5 comments Hi everyone and thanks for the invite Emery! This is a really neat group and I'm honored to be here.

I'm glad there is a group for "romantic historical fiction" because that is exactly what Shades of Gray is. Set during the Civil War, it chronicles the clash of a Confederate cavalry officer with a Union spy as they defend their beliefs, their country and their honor.

I have been pleasantly surprised by the number of male readers that Shades has, so think it blurs the line between straight historical fiction and pure romance. Any author who has done a book signing knows how hard it is to get men to pick up fiction -- more so when you are dealing with Civil War buffs or historians - but the history, combined with a classic love story, has been a good combination.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have about the book!

message 13: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

Gaile (Kittygladu) | 251 comments Mod
I was only able to find Song Of Seduction as an ebook.
I prefer a real book!

Jill Gaile wrote: "I was only able to find Song Of Seduction as an ebook.
I prefer a real book!"

Gaile
I have to agree with you, I also prefer a real book.
But...

'Song of Seduction' was my first e-book, and I was really hesitant to start. However, I'm glad I did.
Don't let the e-book format put you off. This is an incredibly beautiful story in an unusual setting.
Carrie Lofty's prose is sublime. Check out the reviews if you need further encouragement.

message 15: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

The author will have to get it between two covers first!

Carrie Lofty (CarrieLofty) Hi everyone!

Thanks to Emery for getting this group off the ground and for inviting me to participate. As a recovering historian with an MA in history, I walk this line between romance and history all the time! I'm really glad to see that so many readers seem eager for such books.

If e-books aren't your thing--and believe me, they're not mine either!--I invite you to check out my medieval print releases with Kensington. The Robin-Hood themed WHAT A SCOUNDREL WANTS is followed by its Spanish-set sequel, SCOUNDREL'S KISS.

My next series, coming in late 2011 from Pocket, will be set in Victorian times. The first book, FLAWLESS, takes place in South Africa, and the second, SHAMELESS, in Scotland.

I'd be more than happy to answer any questions about my books and how they bridge that gap between historical fiction and romance.

All my best,
Carrie

www.carrielofty.com

message 17: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Carrie wrote: "Hi everyone!

Thanks to Emery for getting this group off the ground and for inviting me to participate. As a recovering historian with an MA in history, I walk this line between romance and histor..."

Hi Carrie-
South Africa is such an unusual setting. Can you tell us a bit about this one? (flawless)

Jill Carrie wrote: "Hi everyone!

Thanks to Emery for getting this group off the ground and for inviting me to participate. As a recovering historian with an MA in history, I walk this line between romance and histor..."

Hello Carrie
I absolutely loved your 'Song of Seduction'.
From the very different setting to the unusual occupations of the hero and heroine (never read about a hero/musician before) and the delicious love scenes. Honestly, there is only one way you could improve this one - putting out a paperback. That way I could have it on my keeper shelf.

I have ordered your two 'Scoundrel' books as well.
And like Emery I would love a little bit of info on your next book 'Flawless'.

Jill

Carrie Lofty (CarrieLofty) Emery wrote: "Hi Carrie-
South Africa is such an unusual setting. Can you tell us a bit about this one? (flawless)

In FLAWLESS, set in 1881, a suave viscount and his estranged wife are ordered to make a South African diamond company profitable or else forfeit her inheritance. To do so they confront old hurts and an ambitious mining tycoon to reveal the heart of their marriage.

You can read the prologue here:
http://carrielofty.com/Flawless_Excer...

It'll be released from Pocket in late 2011 or early 2012, to be followed by SHAMELESS, set in industrial Glasgow.

Best,
Carrie

www.carrielofty.com

Carrie Lofty (CarrieLofty) Jill wrote: "Honestly, there is only one way you could improve this one - putting out a paperback. That way I could have it on my keeper shelf.

I have ordered your two 'Scoundrel' books as well."

Wow, Jill--thanks! I'd love to see SONG OF SEDUCTION in paperback too. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I know Carina Press has plans to send titles to print eventually, but they've been focused pretty exclusively on the recent launch. I'll be sure to shout it to the rooftops if SONG is available in print.

And I hope you enjoy my SCOUNDRELS. They're quite different than SONG with regard to containing more action :)

Best,
Carrie

www.carrielofty.com

Judith (JudithJanes) | 5 comments Emery wrote: "Judith James
Broken Wing
Highland Rebel: A Tale of a Rebellious Lady and a Traitorous Lord
Libertine's Kiss
Author of impeccably re..."

Hi Emery and everyone else. I can’t tell you how delighted I am with your invitation to join the group. Although my stories all have happy endings and a central love story they also deal with other themes that affect and alter people’s lives. My characters may be separated at times as they pursue their own agenda’s. Sometimes my stories cover several years and they tend to involve grand adventures and exotic locales. In all of them history is a central player that my characters interact with, react to, and are sometimes a part of. I always had difficulty answering when people asked me what I write. My books have more history than many romances, and more romance and sensuality than many historicals. Sometimes this means lovers of historical fiction don’t find them, and some lovers of romance feel a little mislead when they were expecting a straight up romance. I love the idea of a genre called Romantic Historicals. The first time I heard the term I understood that this is what I write. I look forward to participating in some very interesting discussions though I am under a tight deadline at the moment and might be more of a lurker. I will try and answer any questions and invite readers to check out my author page.
Judith

message 22: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Thank you so very much Judith!
We are so pleased that you have joined us. I was lucky enough to have read an advance copy of Libertine's Kiss and loved it, especially the way you incorporated Lord Rochester's actual poetry into your story, and so vividly depicted the debauchery of the Merry Monarch's court.

Jill This is a question for any author really.
Do you as an author, have any say in the covers for your books?

I ask this, because covers - cheesy ones - are a pet peeve for me. Those bodice-ripper covers - you know what I mean - are a real turn-off. They scream bad taste. And since the first thing you see of a book is its cover, surely as an author you want it to be something that grabs the reader's attention.

Jill

message 24: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

I hate the cut off heads that are now on all the covers! What is it? A new fashion?

Carrie Lofty (CarrieLofty) Jill, we get VERY little say, if any! Some houses ask us to fill our art sheets with the characters' physical traits and information about tone and important scenes, but even that is not guaranteed.

Jill Carrie wrote: "Jill, we get VERY little say, if any! Some houses ask us to fill our art sheets with the characters' physical traits and information about tone and important scenes, but even that is not guaranteed."

Carrie
Really that is a crying shame. Because, as a reader I often take one look at the cover to decide if I am going to look inside - if it's a 'new to me' author, that is.

As a writer you can put months (years?) into your book and I can decide within seconds if I want it or not simply (but not always) by the cover.

You were a new author for me, and I took one look at the cover of 'Song of Seduction' and decided 'yes', I'll look further. Had you have had some cheeseball artwork on the front I may never have looked at it.

Publishers need to check out some forums/discussion boards to realise what a huge turn-off those bodice-ripper covers are for readers.

Anyway, thanks Carrie for answering my question.

Jill

message 27: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Hi all-
I'll chime in on that one as well.In my experience, the author has no say on the cover. (I'm not a big fan of the cut off heads either but I got one anyway!)
I am also completely turned off by bare chested men and half clothed women in a torrid embrace on the book cover. This kind of cover embarrasses me if anyone I know sees me reading it. This is part of the reason I will probably soon buy an e-reader!

Jackie (TheNightOwl) Emery wrote: "Hi all-
I'll chime in on that one as well.In my experience, the author has no say on the cover. (I'm not a big fan of the cut off heads either but I got one anyway!)
I am also completely turned o..."

LOL! It's definitely one of the reasons why I want an e-reader. Most romance covers are horrible and I think readers miss out on a lot of great stories because of the judgement passed on them.

That's also the reason why I love the design of Lisa Kleypas novels. Usually it's a picture of a pretty landscape in the front and then the second cover contains the naughtiness, preventing public embarrassment. lol.

Judith (JudithJanes) | 5 comments I think these covers come from the god's of marketing. It is a bit of a lottery as to what you end up with unless you are VERY powerful and can get cover approval in your contract. I've seen some very bizarre ones that had things like extra arms and hands or six fingers. Ouch!

Judith (JudithJanes) | 5 comments Hi Gaile it does seem to be a new fashion. It's my understanding they do it so the reader can imagine the character looking as they prefer.

Jackie (TheNightOwl) Judith wrote: "Hi Gaile it does seem to be a new fashion. It's my understanding they do it so the reader can imagine the character looking as they prefer."

But you can't really because you already have half of a person's face on the cover and with the description of the character you can only really imagine their eyes and maybe their hair. For that just put the whole person on the cover.

Judith (JudithJanes) | 5 comments Thanks so much Emery!I love Wilmot's poetry, even if some of it would make a modern day rapper blush.The man is bitingly funny, surprisingly modern,and a fearless social commentator. Like a very dark John Stewart with a sword. I am really looking forward to getting back to reading once my deadline is met and can't wait to read The Highest Stakes. I love history and romance but horses were my first love and the first book I remember vividly was Walter Farley's The Island Stallion.A book that combines history, romance and horses will be a real treat. The Highest Stakes and a nice bottle of wine will be my reward when I'm done.

message 33: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

LOL! Welcome to the mutual admiration society!

Jill Emery
I was wondering about your next book 'Fortune's Son' - the story of Phillip Drake.
I actually had to search back through the discussions here to make sure I had it right that he was going to be the main character. Because I must confess to having some grave reservations about Phillip as a hero.

Robert from THS was the consummate good guy - even during his time of retribution. Whereas, I found Phillip kind of despicable - double-minded and fickle. One minute doing the honorable thing, the next doing a 180 - usually at the expense of Robert and Charlotte.

I am interested to see how you can redeem this kind of person - in the reader's eyes. Any teasers?

message 35: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Hi Jill-

I am so glad you asked me! Although I can't post any excerpts at this point (I am still very early into the story) I will make some general comments.

Philip was actually my favorite character because of his complexity. You just didn't know what he would do next. And even when he did despicable things, it wasn't without a pang of conscience.

But how did he get that way? Was it always so? What about he and Sukey? He did appear to truly love her.

Fortune's Son will explore Philip's past and peel away some of the layers. I think you will have much more synpathy toward him once you know his story. He's definitely a character worthy of growth and redemption. Hope I have piqued your interest!

Jill Thanks Emery. I'm always interested as a reader, in how an author can change my mind about a character or a situation or storyline that I may not be comfortable with.
I love to read books where an author can convince to reassess or realign my position or prejudice on a certain topic. No pressure, Emery.
Also, although I read THS weeks ago, I only got to put up my review last night. Sorry, but I've been busy trying to read a pile of library books that are due back. If only there was a 36 hour day...

message 37: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Jill wrote: "Thanks Emery. I'm always interested as a reader, in how an author can change my mind about a character or a situation or storyline that I may not be comfortable with.
I love to read books where an..."

Thank you Jill. I did see your review today, and I appreciate your time in posting it, but most of all I'm delighted that you enjoyed the ride!

Terry | 5 comments Emery wrote: "Jessica JamesJessica James
Shades of Gray: A Novel of the Civil War in VirginiaShades of Gray  A Novel of the Civil War in Virginia by Jessica James
Author ..."

Hi Jessica, I just finished your book last night and once I got into it, I enjoyed it very much. I was wondering if you had any plans for a sequel. I thought it would be interesting to follow future generations as they rebuild after the war. Also, is Hawthorne based on a real place? Thanks for such a great book!

Terry

message 39: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

GIVEAWAY WINNER!!
Deanna Cameron is the winner of the ebook giveawy of Magician Spell Magician's Spell by Debra Denson
by our own Debra Denson. Congratulations!

Jill Emery
What is the release date of your second book?
I read (somewhere) that you are writing a trilogy, who is the hero/heroine in the third book?

message 41: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (last edited Apr 14, 2011 09:51AM) (new)

Hi Jill-
It's kind of a long story but since you asked ...

Last autumn, upon the completion of THE HIGHEST STAKES, I proposed a sequel (THE BASTARD'S LEGACY)that would bring the original story full circle and to a satisfying conclusion.

I wrote a proposal and 3 chapters for this book but Sourcebooks passed on it. They felt the horseracing theme was no longer fresh enough and asked me for something different (although racing was a very small part of the story compared to THS.)

I was initially crushed but then brushed myself off and pitched a second idea to explore Philip's story which is more of a spinoff novel than a true sequel, as it does not follow Robert and Charlotte into the colonies, but stays with Philip in England.
Sourcebooks liked my synopsis and first chapters, so I got the deal. It is slated for released November 1, 2011.

At this point in time, my agent is still "shopping" THE BASTARD'S LEGACY which I still hope to complete.
The setting is primarily the colonies from the 1750's thru the Revolution, and will feature Ian Philip Grey and Madeleine Devington Roberts. (I'll let you read between the lines on that!)

Jill Emery
Thankyou for the 'behind the scenes' peek at your writing. The 31 December deadline, is that the release to the public or in to your publishers?

<>
I was trying to think who might be in the 3rd book.
Thanks for that little morsel. Sounds intriguing.

Christy English (Christy_English) | 67 comments Emery wrote: "Hi Jill-
It's kind of a long story but since you asked ...

Last autumn, upon the completion of THE HIGHEST STAKES, I proposed a sequel that would bring the original story full circle and to a s..."

Emery, I am looking forward to your next one. I really enjoyed The Highest Stakes and can't wait to her more about Philip...

message 44: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (last edited Sep 02, 2010 02:26PM) (new)

HI Everyone-
Last weekend while at the Upstate Women's Show, I briefly met Michael Cogdill, author of She-rain
A depression era romantic fiction. I asked Michael to briefly describe this novel and this was his reply:
She-Rain   A Story of Hope by Michael Cogdill
"I believe She-Rain is an ideal fit for the group. It's a work of historical fiction containing a love triangle unlike any other in literature. She-Rain proves how well children can seed a lifelong love -- especially when they seem lost in hard times -- and how beautifully two powerful young women can pull a chronically underestimated boy up into a graceful man no one sees coming. The ending is happy in a deeply human way."

There are a number of reviews on Goodreads, I hope you all will be interested in checking this one out.

message 45: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Jill has nominated The Noble Pirates by R.L. JeanThe Noble Pirates for our HR shelf. Be sure to check out her review!http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/94...

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (ThePirateWench) | 133 comments Emery wrote: "Emery Lee
The Highest Stakes
Author of Georgian era romantic historical fictionThe Highest Stakes by Emery Lee"

Emery..I have been along time subscriber of Romantic Times Magazine..In this issue-Dec you were not only in the Historical Romance Reviews but in "new author spotlight" congrats!

Misfit | 123 comments Sandi wrote: "Emery wrote: "Emery Lee
The Highest Stakes
Author of Georgian era romantic historical fictionThe Highest Stakes by Emery Lee"

Emery..I have been along ti..."

Congrats on that, I really enjoyed the book and look forward to the sequel.

message 48: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Thanks Misfit!
The story (FORTUNE'S SON)has really surprised me as it has unfurled. If you get a chance, please check out the opening scene that I have posted. It sets the tone for the entire novel:
http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/2...
Would love to hear what you think.

message 49: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Hi Everyone-
I just saw the cover for Christy's new release coming thsi spring. It's beautiful! Please be sure to check it out. Christy Englishhttp://www.goodreads.com/book/show/84...

Christy English (Christy_English) | 67 comments Emery wrote: "Hi Everyone-
I just saw the cover for Christy's new release coming thsi spring. It's beautiful! Please be sure to check it out. Christy Englishhttp://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8..."

Thanks for pointing out my cover...I love it...:) Of course, I am biased. And to be honest, it is really Eleanor's cover...What a woman...

« previous 1 3 4 5 6