The Complete Idiots Guide to the Ultimate Reading List discussion

I just finished. > I just finished (CIGURL books)

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MJ, Idiot's Top libriarian (new)

MJ | 1335 comments Mod
Post the books you read in July here.

message 2: by MJ, Idiot's Top libriarian (new)

MJ | 1335 comments Mod
I just finished
A Paper Life by Tatum O'Neal. This book sucked me in quickly. What a life she has lead.

and

Sizzling Sixteen by Janet Evanovich. The newest installment of the Stephanie Plum series. Very funny.

message 3: by Trisha (new)

Trisha Bridget Jones Diary. I don't know, there was quite a bit of lingo and slang (and even chocolate and cigarette brand names) that I either didn't understand or it took me far too many diary entries to understand. I had a tough time making it to the end of this one. I hope others enjoy it more.

Oh to Agatha Christie's The Murder of Roger Ackroyd!! I'm enjoying it so far (about 100 pages in)

message 4: by Amber (new)

Amber I finished I is for Innocent. This is one of my goals for this year! I want to get all caught up on this series!

message 5: by Beverlee (new)

Beverlee Just finished U is for UndertowbySue Grafton. I am going to be sad when she gets to Z! I love Kinsey!

message 6: by Trisha (new)

Trisha Agatha Christie's The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. I gave it 5 stars! It's rare with a "who done it" type that I don't guess the end and this one was a wonderful treasure of a surprise. Wonderful story!

message 7: by Amber (new)

Amber I just finished Witch & Wizard by James Patterson.

I would not recommend this book. It was a cute idea but I think that it fell short of the mark. It was just a bit to much for the story. Not a normal thing for James Patterson whom I fell usually hits the nail on the head!
I would give this book 2 stars on its best day! I will not be one to go out and get the next in this series!

message 8: by Trisha (new)

Trisha Just Finished our book for the group: The Frog Prince. I was surprised that I actually didn't think it was too bad. (I typically steer away from anything in a "romance" kind of label)

message 9: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 103 comments So far this month I've read...

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley

I'm not usually that in to mysteries but I like the protagonist, 11 year old Flavia de Luce, she kept me entertained.

If You Could See Me Now by Cecelia Ahern

Cute chick lit story with a little magic thrown in.

Julie and Julia by Julie Powell

Although I wasn't crazy about Julie Powell I did find this to be an enjoyable read.

Confections of a Closet Master Baker by Gesine Bullock-Prado

Loved this. It's about Sandra Bullock's sister who left Hollywood to open a bakery in Vermont.

message 10: by Trisha (new)

Trisha Mysteries of Udolpho ~ I think I'd worked myself up so much about this book that it ended up being a letdown. I'm glad I read it though.

Weight of Water ~ without knowing it, I'd seen this movie a month or so ago and it was perfect to have images in my mind as I read the book. I really enjoyed this one!

message 11: by Beverlee (new)

Beverlee What-the-Dickens: The Story of a Rogue Tooth Fairyis another success story for Gregory Maguire. Great perspective from the tooth fairy on the world he lives in:)I love the way this author thinks!

message 12: by Trisha (new)

Trisha I really miss this group. I've read quite a few books in August but we don't have anywhere to post them. MJ, I hope you are okay.

message 13: by Deb (new)

Deb | 1 comments Amber wrote: "I finished I is for Innocent. This is one of my goals for this year! I want to get all caught up on this series!"

Trisha wrote: "Bridget Jones Diary. I don't know, there was quite a bit of lingo and slang (and even chocolate and cigarette brand names) that I either didn't understand or it took me far too many diary entries t..."

Just my opinion - I felt as the Alphabet went on, it did not get better. DG

Trisha wrote: "Bridget Jones Diary. I don't know, there was quite a bit of lingo and slang (and even chocolate and cigarette brand names) that I either didn't understand or it took me far too many diary entries t..."

message 14: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 2 comments Can't say that I read the book, but I viewed the film of The No. 1 Ladies' Detective AgencyThe No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. Usually I read the book first, but I'm engaged in reading another book at this time, about running.

I have already read The Kite RunnerThe Kite Runner, and as a teacher who works with students on the topic of tolerance, I recommend it. There is some material that is inappropriate for pre-adolescents that is central to the book, so I can't use it with my 10-year-old students (more's the pity).

message 15: by Trisha (new)

Trisha I finished Roads by Larry McMurtry today. A story told about driving the hwy. Yeah, it's about as interesting as it sounds. Although there were some interesting facts and stories that the author told, I still wasn't interested. I'm still not sure why this book was part of this list.... Oh well, off to another.

The Complete Idiots Guide to the Ultimate...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Paper Life (other topics)
Sizzling Sixteen (other topics)
I is for Innocent (other topics)
U Is for Undertow (other topics)
Witch & Wizard (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Tatum O'Neal (other topics)
Janet Evanovich (other topics)
Sue Grafton (other topics)