The Screwtape Letters: Special Illustrated Edition The Screwtape Letters discussion

The Screwtape Letters - Special Illustrated Edition

Comments (showing 1-24 of 24) (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laurie (new) - added it

Laurie Walker I accidentally read this book when my daughter was browsing around for a subject to discuss in a literature class at school. What a gem.
I love the way it gently shows how one can make themselves unhappy, and proposes that if you do the right thing, you will be happier in life.

message 2: by Ashley (last edited Jun 04, 2011 01:43AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ashley I will agree with you, Laurie. This book is an absolute gem. When I finally picked this piece up to read I was already particularly familiar with C.S. Lewis' work. Narnia was surprisingly enjoyable as a fantasy series, and actually the only series I've ever gone back to re-read. His less fantastical novels are actually my favorites though; The Great Divorce, Mere Christianity, and The Problem of Pain are ALL worth a serious "quicklike get-to-it now" reading attitude (besides they are all only like 200 pg anyway... c'mon!). When facing this dichotomous fork one initially encounters when choosing what to to read of Lewis' work, forget about it I say! You really can't go wrong. :-) Screwtapes just happens to be the most unique personally, as it seems that this creation is approaching the pinnacle of his work, in so far as he essentially takes the best of both worlds, pops it in the ole brain microwave, and ta dah!... You open the door and slide out your delicious, warm, and gooey literary treat.

Will IV How does one accidentally read a book?

MizziQ Haha! Funny. :) But I really loved this book. It was very mysterious. :)

Damon Thueson I too have a type of love for this book...it makes alot of things more clear, but it did mess with my head for about 2 weeks...hahahaha

Wendy This is a classic. For a real treat, see if you can dig up the audio version read by John Cleese! Perfect!

message 7: by Chere (new) - added it

Chere This book has been a favorite of mine for almost a decade. I really gained insight from it as a new Christian. We can be so easily deceived, swayed, and destroyed... I am glad for this very simple interpretation of the spiritual battle that takes place over each of us!

Wendy Did you know that this was originally a series of radio broadcasts?

Will IV Chere wrote: "I am glad for this very simple interpretation of the spiritual battle that takes place over each of us!"

You do realize this book is a satire?

Wendy Will:
Definition of SATIRE
1: a literary work holding up human vices and follies to ridicule or scorn
2: trenchant wit, irony, or sarcasm used to expose and discredit vice or folly
Definition of ALLEGORY
1: the expression by means of symbolic fictional figures and actions of truths or generalizations about human existence; also : an instance (as in a story or painting) of such expression
2: a symbolic representation

message 11: by Chere (new) - added it

Chere Call it what you will, MY opinion that this book a picture of spiritual warfare that helped me. I enjoyed it immensely, and would recommend it to anyone.

message 12: by Will (new) - rated it 3 stars

Will IV Wendy wrote: "Will:
Definition of SATIRE..."

Ummm... I know what a satire and an allegory are. You're confirming this why?

message 13: by Will (new) - rated it 3 stars

Will IV Satirizing society through spiritual commentary, not truth.

message 14: by Will (new) - rated it 3 stars

Will IV Yes, I'm sure he thought there were demons, but to then infer that the book represents a realistic view of what is actually happening is illogical.

As to your comment about her being encouraged by this, I'm curious how anyone can think that demons we can't see fighting over our souls is in any way encouraging.

MizziQ Will wrote: "Yes, I'm sure he thought there were demons, but to then infer that the book represents a realistic view of what is actually happening is illogical.

As to your comment about her being encouraged by..."

I don't think it's as much encouraging as it is a wake-up-call (to people taking this as a Christian book..which I think it is) to remind us that there is a battle and that whatever amount of "truth" about demons is contained in this, it reminds us that we are at war...and that we should be cautious. Tis all I have to say. I loved the book. :)

message 16: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul I just enjoyed the book. I found the one-sided conversation very interesting and it allowed my imagination to 'fill in' the missing parts.

I don't want to get drawn into the Christian truth debate but I did find it very very interesting and it does pose a few interesting questions.

message 17: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin Wendy wrote: "This is a classic. For a real treat, see if you can dig up the audio version read by John Cleese! Perfect!"
Completely agree with you Wendy. I have never actually read the book...A friend recommended it and I found the John Cleese audiobook online. I love it!

Sarah Tun Disturbing, astute, brilliant lit.

Tatuu Chere wrote: "Call it what you will, MY opinion that this book a picture of spiritual warfare that helped me. I enjoyed it immensely, and would recommend it to anyone."

That is so true!

Tatuu I haven't read any of C S Lewis books :-/ but I have lined them all up to read after I am done with my final exams. Someone please encourage me. :)

message 21: by Chere (new) - added it

Chere Wow, quite the commentary going here!

"As to your comment about her being encouraged by this, I'm curious how anyone can think that demons we can't see fighting over our souls is in any way encouraging."

My response to this: I WAS and AM encouraged, do you really want to know why?
In those dark times and even within some amazing times, I have felt as though there was a war going on within and surrounding me. Guess what, there is! I now have a better picture/illustration (along with The Bible and other interpretations of Believers)of the 'tricks of the trade' so to speak. Lewis put into words, and imagery, the feelings I have and continue to have concerning The Great Battle over each soul. Here's the kicker*** There is VICTORY in Christ Jesus, the lover of my (and YOUR) soul(s). Therefore I can be encouraged within this demonic battle over my soul. I am blessed beyond measure so I will boast in non other than Jesus for my joy within the battle!

Tatuu Chere wrote: "Wow, quite the commentary going here!

"As to your comment about her being encouraged by this, I'm curious how anyone can think that demons we can't see fighting over our souls is in any way encour..."

AMEN!

Sarah Tun Tatuu, he's great as he's solid, sensible, sincere.
Screwtape may not be the best to start with.
Go with your gut instinct and start where you feel most drawn, I'd say.

message 24: by Timothy (last edited Sep 04, 2012 08:40AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Timothy Kara wrote: "I don't think it's as much encouraging as it is a wake-up-call (to people taking this as a Christian book..which I think it is) to remind us that there is a battle and that whatever amount of "truth" about demons is contained in this, it reminds us that we are at war...and that we should be cautious. Tis all I have to say. I loved the book. :)"

This post is a little late, yes, I know. However I thought a different perspective is in order.

When one is fighting a battle there is a goal to achieve, and there is an enemy who is fighting us. If we don't know the enemy or the goals of the enemy we can easily lose by subtle methods. By being aware of the enemy, his goals, and his methods we are made aware of a situation that we can now act upon. Without that knowledge we are ignorant to the situation, and can do nothing but guess.

What Im trying to say is once we know the enemy and his tactics, we now know a way to stop him and achieve victory ourselves. That is the encouraging part.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Screwtape Letters: Special Illustrated Edition (other topics)