Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Jan G.'s June reads

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JanG (new)

JanG | 165 comments Good morning everyone! I hope you all are having a great holiday weekend. Before I list my June books, I'd like to thank you for the Birthday wishes. I really appreciate them here and on FB. I don't post here much (can't quite appreciate GRs for some reason). Anyway, here are my June reads:

1) Oprah by Kitty Kelley

2) Murder of a Chocolate Covered Cherry by Denise Swanson. #10 in the Scumble River series(Illinois) with Skye Denison.

3) Murder of a Royal Pain by Denise Swanson. #11 in series.

4) Elizabeth by J. Randy Taraborrelli

5) Photo Snap Shot by Joanna Campbell Slan. #3 in the Kiki Lowenstein scrapbooking series (St. Louis). I see the author will be at BCon again this year.

6) Sprinkle with Murder by Jenn McKinnlay. #1 in A Cupcake Bakery Mystery with Melanie Cooper & Angie DeLaura - owners of Fairy Tale Cupcakes in Scottsdale, AZ. Enjoyed this first in a series.

7) Growing Up Again by Mary Tyler Moore. Mostly about her life living with diabetes.

I have been on a bio/autobio kick lately. Mostly for fun. The Elizabeth was interesting. Boy, she was sure sick and ailing a lot! And the Oprah one was interesting as well. If any of it is true, she sure has become a Diva and really has a huge ego!

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 2828 comments Glad you liked SPRINKLED WITH MURDER. It's been one of my favorite cozies this year. I got a book last week called Furious Love The Love Affair of Elizabeth and Richard by Sam Kashner that I'm looking forward to reading. My mom has always been an Elizabeth Taylor fan and it sorted of fed over to me!

message 3: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 5569 comments Jan, I never know quite what to make of biopics. I've read one by Kitty Kelly (Frank Sinatra) and one, or maybe a couple, by Randy Taraborelli (Diana Ross and maybe Michael Jackson?) and they are always fascinating, but I never know what's true and what's imagined by the people they talk to.

JanG wrote: "
I have been on a bio/autobio kick lately. Mostly for fun. The Elizabeth was interesting. Boy, she was sure sick and ailing a lot! And the Oprah one was interesting as well. If any of it is true, she sure has become a Diva and really has a huge ego! ..."

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 9249 comments Good month and good to see you here Jan!
I was just looking at some biographies at B&N the other day, I had in my hand and put back Laura Bush's Read All About It! and Jenny Sanford's Staying True.
GR will grow on you perhaps! It is a great place to gather for all things book-related!

message 5: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (SusieinKS) | 1228 comments You read some good ones this month Jan! I loved Sprinkle with Murder, and I think I would enjoy the Oprah and Elizabeth books too ;)

message 6: by JanG (new)

JanG | 165 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Jan, I never know quite what to make of biopics. I've read one by Kitty Kelly (Frank Sinatra) and one, or maybe a couple, by Randy Taraborelli (Diana Ross and maybe Michael Jackson?) and they are ..."

I read another one a few years ago by Randy Taraborelli called Jackie, Ethel and Joan (or something like that) and I loved it. That's sort of why I chose this particular book about E. Taylor. I know there are quite a few out there.

Mary/Quite Contrary Phillips | 459 comments Hi JAN...so nice to see your sweet smile here on GR. I agree, I like FB better but this gang have better book rec's, so I hang out in both places. I'm not a biography reader because I'm never sure how much is true. I guess I'd rather read fiction than read non-fiction but wonder if its fiction! Take care!

message 8: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 2817 comments My sister read the Laura bush one and said it was a just okay. Gave info that was already known. Alot of childhood stuff I believe. Didn't give alot about the white house days I think she said. Not what she expected at all. I said check out Barbara bush's book and she said she already did and it was alot better.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Furious Love: Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton, and the Marriage of the Century (other topics)
Staying True (other topics)
Bush Picture Book (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Laura Bush (other topics)
Jenny Sanford (other topics)