Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Welcome & Ice Breakers > Book Recommendations

Comments (showing 1-44 of 44) (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Luann (AZbookgal) | 988 comments Mod
Use this space to recommend books to others and/or to ask for recommendations.

For our upcoming YOU CHOOSE challenge, I recommended the following books to Natasha, and I also recommend them to anyone else who likes YA/fantasy/historical fiction/award winning books and REALLY great stories:
* The Hunger Games & Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins. Mockingjay will be out in August!
* Also by Suzanne Collins, the Underland Chronicles which starts with Gregor the Overlander.
* I see you've read Sabriel, the first in the Abhorsen trilogy, and I highly recommend the next two: Lirael: and Abhorsen.
* Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day George
* When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead
* The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

message 2: by Tara (last edited Jul 03, 2010 07:49AM) (new)

Tara | 739 comments I second The Hunger Games trilogy and When You Reach Me.
Another Dystopic series I would recommend is Gone, Hunger, and Lies, by Michael Grant.
For a little Historical fiction, try The Blood of Flowers, The Help, and of course The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.
Other books that I have really enjoyed recently have been The Everafter, Unwind, and Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet.

Karen (Karenofthebookworm) | 639 comments I'll third The Hunger Games trilogy, I can't wait for part three to come out.

Others I've really enjoyed recently are Wolf Hall, The 19th Wife, Alone in Berlin and The Thirteenth Tale.

message 4: by Blarneygod (last edited Jul 03, 2010 07:21PM) (new)

Blarneygod Some of my favorite books that I would recommend are:
The Godfather
The Honk and Holler Opening Soon
Water for Elephants
Pride and Prejudice
Beauty
The Girl Who Chased the Moon
The Thorn Birds
Sense and Sensibility
Emma
Dixieland Sushi

Sorry, I am getting a little carried away, but I love all of these books!

Karen (Karenofthebookworm) | 639 comments I loved Water for Elephants as well.

message 6: by Candiss (last edited Jul 03, 2010 01:49PM) (new)

Candiss (Tantara) | 236 comments These are all over the place genre-wise, but I love each and every one of them.

- A Country Year: Living the Questions by Sue Hubbell (non-fiction)
- To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis (sf/fantasy/humor/historical/time-travel/Victoriana)
- The Hearing Trumpet by Leonora Carrington (surrealist/fantasy/humor/mythic/older heroine)
- Ariadne by June Rachuy Brindel (historical fiction/fantasy/mythic)
- Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko (1st book of four in the "Watch" series, all in English) (urban fantasy/neo-horror/paranormal/NOT romance)
- The Eight by Katherine Neville (historical fiction/mystery)
- Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (historical fiction/mystery/1001 books)
- Set This House in Order: A Romance of Souls by Matt Ruff (fantasy/psychological)
- Bridge of Birds: A Novel of an Ancient China That Never Was by Barry Hughart (1st book in trilogy) (fantasy/humor/mythic China)
- Sharp Teeth by Toby Barlow (experimental/urban fantasy/werewolves/gritty/prose poetry format/just give it a chance)
- On Writing by Stephen King (combination nonfiction/writing guide and memoir)
- Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang (nonfiction/memoir/Chinese history)
- Hope for the Flowers by Trina Paulus (allegory/all-ages picture book/non-religious inspirational)
- Sunglasses After Dark by Nancy A. Collins (first book in "Sonja Blue" series; First three are collected in Midnight Blue: The Sonja Blue Collection.) (urban fantasy/supernatural/vampires/pub. four years before first Anita Blake novel)

Other series I haven't finished but definitely recommend:
- Through Violet Eyes by Stephen Woodworth (1st book in 4-book "Violets" series) (urban fantasy/ghosts/mystery/crime/romance subplot)
- Tomorrow, When the War Began by - John Marsden (first book in 7-book "Tomorrow" series) (young adult/dystopia/war/Australia) - recommended for fans of "The Hunger Games" (This is about to be released as a movie. trailer at Youtube)

message 7: by Tara (last edited Jul 03, 2010 07:58PM) (new)

Tara | 739 comments Karen wrote: "I'll third The Hunger Games trilogy, I can't wait for part three to come out.

Others I've really enjoyed recently are Wolf Hall, The 19th Wife, [book..."

The19th wife was really good, although I loved the YA book [book:The Chosen One|5303373] and if you liked the 19th wife, this book is really good told in the voice of a young bride being forced to marry her much older uncle. The author does a great job with the character's voice.

Karen (Karenofthebookworm) | 639 comments Tara wrote: "Karen wrote: "I'll third The Hunger Games trilogy, I can't wait for part three to come out.

Others I've really enjoyed recently are Wolf Hall, [book:The 19th Wife|258..."

Thanks Tara I'll look out for that one.

Susan | 1778 comments Another I'd recommended to Natasha (and anyone)that I haven't seen on here is Little Brother by Cory Doctorow

Susan | 1778 comments Natasha wrote: "I do want to read that book."

I'll be interested to know how you like it. I think it's written for young adults, but like so many good YA books these days, it has plenty for the rest of us to ponder too, some of it a bit scary. And it some ways it seems very different from anything else I've read recently. I've seen it described as science fiction, but I don't think it really is, since all the technology already exists.

Susan wrote: "Another I'd recommended to Natasha (and anyone)that I haven't seen on here is Little Brother by Cory Doctorow"

I second that. It was SCARY - especially in the beginning. And I couldn't put it down. And a bonus with that one is that the ebook is available to read online - or to download if you have any type of ebook device. You can even read it right here on Goodreads.

message 12: by readinghearts (Lyn M) (last edited Jul 07, 2010 02:48PM) (new)

readinghearts (Lyn M) (lsmeadows) | 1843 comments Mod
The books that I have read so far this year and would recommend are:

Mystery Thrillers:
The Weight of Silence by Heather Gudenkauf

French:
The Count of Monte Cristo

General :
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

message 13: by Slayermel, On Maternity Leave (new)

Slayermel | 656 comments Mod
Some of my favourite books that I recommend:

The Crow(Graphic Novel)
Interview With the Vampire
Pride and Prejudice
The Thirteenth Tale
Stardust
The Historian
Outlander

Series that I really enjoy:

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice
Sookie Stackhouse by Charlaine Harris
Anita Blake Vampire Hunter by Laurell K. Hamilton
The Blackdagger Brotherhood by J.R. Ward
The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling
Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan

Those are some great ones, Slayermel. Here are the series that I recommend:

The Dresden File by Jim Butcher (My favorite series ever!)
The Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning

Some Mystery series that I like. These are good, light reads:

The Mary Russel Series by Laurie R. King
The Kinsey Milhone Series by Sue Grafton
AND
The Stephanie Plum Series by Janet Evanovich (this series has great quirky characters!)

message 16: by Slayermel, On Maternity Leave (new)

I have heard lots of good stuff about the Dresden File series, a friend has been recommending it to me for a while, finally got the first two books :0)

I hope you like them. It is my favorite series bar none. In fact, my son Joe and I are starting over with book one and re-reading the first ones.

message 18: by Candiss (last edited Jul 15, 2010 02:16PM) (new)

Candiss (Tantara) | 236 comments Natasha wrote: "Could anyone recommend any books that take place in the 1870s to turn of the century involving the upper class? I love that time period. A few books that I have enjoyed so far have been the Luxe se..."

Natasha - what country or culture are you wishing the books be set in? I know both The Age of Innocence and the Luxe series take place in New York City; are you looking only for
New York stories? Only United States? Elsewhere?

Bri (l3ri) Natasha wrote: "I guess the United States. I suppose New York since it has such a whole lot of rich people together. But any other place where a lot of rich people gather is fine. I'm not too picky."

If you want that kind of story with a bit of the Fantasy world swirled in I would highly recommend A Great and Terrible Beauty, Rebel Angles, and the Sweet Far Thing (Gemma Doyle Series) By Libba Bray

Bri - what type of books do you like? I know you asked for recommendations.

I read the first two of the Libby Bray books and they were quite good.

message 21: by Tara (last edited Jul 20, 2010 09:03PM) (new)

Tara | 739 comments I liked A Great and Terrible Beauty too, especially if you like historical fiction too. I still have to read the next one. I just finished City of Bones and I would definitely recommend that to anyone who likes fantasy books.

Natalie | 54 comments Can anyone recommend a series that is NOT fantasy, vampire, dystopia, or YA?

message 23: by Slayermel, On Maternity Leave (new)

I have not read them myself yet but I hear a lot of people like the Alex Cross series by James Patterson (Mystery/thriller)

I read the second book in the Cotton Malone series not realizing it was a series and it was quite good by Steve Berry (Mystery/thriller)

Not sure if you’re into Romance or not but a lot of Johanna Lindsey books are part of an ongoing series.

Blarneygod Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich is a fun quirky mystery series. It is light, fluffy and a lot of fun. It starts with One for the Money.

I also really like J.D. Robb's (Nora Roberts) In Death series with Detective Eve Dallas. It starts with Naked In Death, I think. It is a futuristic cop mystery-romance series.

I also enjoy Charlaine Harris's Sookie Stackhouse series. It is a fun and dark vampire series. Another light and fun read.

Susan | 1778 comments Natalie wrote: "Can anyone recommend a series that is NOT fantasy, vampire, dystopia, or YA?"

My experience is mostly with mysteries and/or science fiction.

I second the recommendations for Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series and J.D. Robb's In Death series. I'd also add Robert Rosenberg's Avram Cohen series (also mystery). Joseph Telushkian and Batya Gur also have mystery series with Jewish or Israeli detectives. Lyn Hamilton's mysteries are archaeological. Karen McQuillan wrote a series of 3 mysteries set in Africa. Or, if you want a classic mystery series, you can't do better than Dorothy Sayers' Lord Peter Wimsey series and P.D. James' Adam Dalgleish series.

If you enjoy science fiction, I think the best are Orson Scott Card's Ender series, followed by his Shadow series, and Nancy Kress' series that begins with "Beggars in Spain."

I don't know if you call 2 a series, but Mary Doria Russell's "Sparrow" followed by "Children of God" are amazing.

And I'm assuming you know about Stieg Larsson's "The Girl who ..." series of just 3.

There are also several very good historical fiction series focusing on British and/or Welsh history. If those appeal, I'll hunt up authors & titles.

message 26: by readinghearts (Lyn M) (last edited Jul 23, 2010 04:12PM) (new)

Do you like historical fiction? (Or do you get enough history?) The ones that come to my mind are:

The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon
The Wildnerness series by Sara Donati which starts with Into the Wilderness.
The Masters of Rome series by Colleen McCullough

Blarneygod oops... Natalie, I just realized you said not vampire, so just ignore my recommendation for Charlaine Harris

Amy | 641 comments My taste runs toward mystery/suspense, and for those, I especially like (in no particular order):

Jack Reacher series by Lee Child
Jack Swyteck series by James Grippando
Elvis Cole series by Robert Crais
Myron Bolitar series by Harlan Coben
Lucas Davenport series by John Sandford.

I have also read all of the Janet Evanovich (Stephanie Plum), James Patterson (Alex Cross) and Stieg Larsson (Lisbeth Salander).

Other books I loved were Water for Elephants, The Pillars of the Earth, World Without End, and The Help. Saving Ceecee Honeycutt was along the sames lines as The Help and good too (the audio books for The Help and Saving Ceecee were extremely well done).

I'm waiting for Mockingjay (third book in the Hunger Games trilogy), Monsters of Men (third book in the Chaos Walking trilogy) and The Dark and Hollow Places (third book in the Forest of Hands and Teeth trilogy). These series were all YA/dystopia and really good.

Michele (micheleruns) Natalie wrote: "Can anyone recommend a series that is NOT fantasy, vampire, dystopia, or YA?"

Natalie,
If you like Forensic types Patricia Cornwell has a great series on Kay Scarpetta. It has at least 10 books, if not more. Also Iris Johansen is the forensic type. Bill Bass/Jon Jefferson also has some. For non-forensic I don't know a lot of non-vampire type series. Good luck. As you can see I love forensics!!!

Tara | 739 comments Natalie wrote: "Can anyone recommend a series that is NOT fantasy, vampire, dystopia, or YA?"

The Spellman Files and the rest of the series may be something you would like. It is kind of a chick lit series, but good if you like just a little mystery.

message 31: by Amy (last edited Aug 20, 2010 12:06PM) (new)

Amy | 641 comments For those who enjoyed the The Hunger Games and Catching Fire, Mockingjay is due out next week in the US. If you are a library junkie like me and can put books on hold using your library's website, you will likely find the book listed already. Just figured I'd give a heads up to all those interested.

Crystal Amy wrote: "For those who enjoyed the The Hunger Games and Catching Fire, Mockingjay is due out next week in the US. If you are a library junkie like me and can put..."

Just finished it the other day and thoroughly enjoyed it. I had to buy it though because there was no way I could wait as long as it was going to take at the library. Way too many people have requested it.

Emily | 53 comments I'm so glad everyone talked so much about The Hunger Games. It was even better than I expected it to be. I tore through all three books in three days. If you've been on the fence about whether or not to pick these up you should definitely go for it.
Thanks again everyone for recomending such a great book.

message 34: by Nathan (last edited Sep 08, 2010 01:23AM) (new)

Nathan I would recommend...

The Hunger Games
Catching Fire
Mocking Jay
The Devil's Queen
Clockwork Angel
The City of Glass
The City of Ashes

And many more I am too tired to link, have a look at the series some of those books belong to =)

My favorite ones are the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning. They start with Darkfever. They are contemporary Urban Fantasy books that center around Faerie

I am listing a new recommendation for The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson. I just finished this book and, although there were parts of the book I didn't particularly like, the parts I did were well worth the parts I didn't, and the book as a whole was fantastic.

Crystal Natasha wrote: "I'm feeling like I'm on a faerie kick right now.

Can anyone recommend any good faerie books? They can be either young adult or adult books."

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr, Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception by Maggie Stiefvater, Tithe by Holly Black, Impossible by Nancy Werlin and Poison by Chris Wooding have all been quite good.

Tara | 739 comments I was trying to think of faerie books and I forgot about Impossible. I enjoyed that one!

Vivian (_vivian) | 192 comments Haven't read too many fae books, but I second:
Darkfever (Fever #1) - a great Urban Fantasy series.
Going through the Wicked Lovely series which is a fun YA one.
Have also heard really good things about Tithe but haven't read yet.

message 40: by Vivian (last edited Oct 27, 2010 08:46PM) (new)

Vivian (_vivian) | 192 comments You can also try this list for faerie suggestions:

Books about Faerie

Natasha wrote: "I'm feeling like I'm on a faerie kick right now.

Can anyone recommend any good faerie books? They can be either young adult or adult books."

I really enjoyed Blackbringer and Silksinger by Laini Taylor.

Sarah | 229 comments Have you tried the Artemis Fowl series? A bit different from the other recommendations here but still a good read.

Shelli Lyn M wrote: "I am listing a new recommendation for The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson. I just finished this book and, although there were parts of the book I didn't particularly li..."

I loved this book.

Meghan Sarah wrote: "Have you tried the Artemis Fowl series? A bit different from the other recommendations here but still a good read."

I love this series! The first was my favorite because of the decoding you did at the bottom of the pages. And the last because I thought you saw his writing take a total new direction. It's not epic writing, but it's a fun series.