The Book Addicts! discussion

Books On Your To-Be-Read List > What I bought at a bookstore today

Comments (showing 1-50 of 1,018) (1018 new)    post a comment »

Jan (booklover777) | 91 comments I had a $50 gift certificate for Greenwoods Books (a great independent bookstore here in Edmonton) and the day off work today (Happy Canada Day everyone!) so decided this was the day to use the gift certificate. I even printed off my Goodreads TBR list! Did I buy anything off the list? Of course not - there are just too many great books out there! Here's 4 more books I've added to my TBR list.
Ysabel by Guy Gavriel Kay
Blue Heaven by C.J. Box
The Reapers by John Connolly
Library of the Dead by Glenn Cooper

Pat (PatB37) | 217 comments Happy Canada Day!
I think celebrating a holiday with some new books is a fine idea.

Sterlingcindysu Jan wrote: "I had a $50 gift certificate for Greenwoods Books (a great independent bookstore here in Edmonton) and the day off work today (Happy Canada Day everyone!) so decided this was the day to use the gif..."

My husband travels to Edmonton to work w/Enbridge for 2 weeks at a time, and I'll be going w/him at the end of the month. I only pack a carryon, but I'll be taking lots of paperbacks to trade at the Wee Book Inn downtown--one of my favorite bookstores! I'm from northern Viginia.

Anna Anderson (AnnaAnderson) | 373 comments I did a lot of damage at the bookstore this past week, but I posted the last at "books you have bought this past week" thread. I now have at least 45 books waiting on me to read them and I am sooooo hooked on the Outlander series, that all the others will just have to wait!

Susan | 187 comments Still Alice on my kindle. So I can participate in the group!

Suzanne (SuzanneRamos) | 29 comments Well, Barnes and Noble had a buy 2 B&N classics, get the 3rd one free...so I took advantage of it - twice...and got some other goodies on the side :) Here's my new list of goodies I picked up:

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux
Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas
Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray
The Man who Loved Pride and Prejudice by Abigail Reynolds
The Romance Readers' Book Club by Julie L. Cannon
The Importance of Being Earnest and Four Other Plays by Oscar Wilde

I would like your input/opinions if you have had a chance to dig into these books that just kept calling my name :)

Sterlingcindysu Anna wrote: "I did a lot of damage at the bookstore this past week, but I posted the last at "books you have bought this past week" thread. I now have at least 45 books waiting on me to read them and I am sooo..."

Haha I haven't even read 45 books this year yet!

Jenni (NekoKitty) | 132 comments Anna wrote: "I did a lot of damage at the bookstore this past week, but I posted the last at "books you have bought this past week" thread. I now have at least 45 books waiting on me to read them and I am sooo..."

Go Anna! I'm pretty addicted to Outlander too. I've just started The Fiery Cross, only after forcing myself to read two non-Outlander books before I started Fiery Cross.

message 9: by Jenni (last edited Jul 06, 2010 12:30PM) (new)

Jenni (NekoKitty) | 132 comments Suzanne - I LOVED The Count of Monte Cristo and The Phantom of the Opera... I recommend both!

Marie-vicky (grimace) | 528 comments Hi I haven't bought any book so far in June.Try to stay away until I will get through my TBR.Its so hard to stay away from the bookstores.Each time I go by I hear this inside voice <>
I have Outlander.I have already started in June and I looking forward to pursue the reading.

Susan | 187 comments To Suzanne-
I read the Phantom of the Opera in highschool and loved it!

Anna Anderson (AnnaAnderson) | 373 comments Jenni wrote: "Anna wrote: "I did a lot of damage at the bookstore this past week, but I posted the last at "books you have bought this past week" thread. I now have at least 45 books waiting on me to read them ..."

I am forcing myself to read non-Outlander books as well btw. Outlander books, so that the series will last longer! I have heard from quite a few people in the past couple of days that Voyager (the one I am reading right now)was their favorite and that The Fiery Cross was their least favorite, so I will be anxious to hear what you have to say. Let me know what you think so far about The Fiery Cross. I am so glad that you are enjoying the series as much as I am...Yeah Outlander! I am totally HOOKED!

Suzanne (SuzanneRamos) | 29 comments Thank you, Jenni and Susan, for your good reviews...It makes me even happier that I picked them up :)

On another note, I forgot to mention that on the same day I got Phantom and Count, I also got Mary Shelley's Frankenstein...have any of you read that one? If so, what was your opinion of it?

message 14: by Daphne (last edited Jul 19, 2010 04:30PM) (new)

Daphne (Daphne2163) | 237 comments Suzanne wrote: "On another note, I forgot to mention that on the same day I got Phantom and Count, I also got Mary Shelley's Frankenstein...have any of you read that one? If so, what was your opinion of it?"

Suzanne - I read Frankenstein last October and I didn't love it like I thought I would. The parts from the monster's POV are very good and held my attention, but the beginning was very hard to get through for me. I just got The Phantom of the Opera from the GR swap and am looking forward to reading it and Dracula this October. I also have Anna Karenina and Wives and Daughters on my TBR pile.

Jenni (NekoKitty) | 132 comments I haven't read Frankenstein either, though I do own the book and mean to read it someday... hopefully soon. :)

K.B. Hallman (kbhallman) | 321 comments Got 2 boxes of books from eBay today. 80 books for $30. And only 7 that I've already read/have! There were even some new-to-me series in the boxes. It feels like Christmas to me.

Edith (gsbarbie) | 1 comments I bought:
Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran

For my Kindle:
The Mine by Daniel R. Cobb
Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
They're Watching by Gregg Hurwitz
The Scent of Lightning and Rain by Nancy Pickard
A Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolff
Never Wave Goodbye by Doug Magee (which I already finished and it is a great read)

And I was lucky to find these at the used book store:
Shanghai Girls by Lisa See
Flying Crows by Jim Lehrer
Mozart's Sister by Rita Charbonnier

I'm stocked up for the rest of the summer!

Karendenice | 528 comments Nothing :(

Laurence (LovetoReadNYC) Got for my Nook today and so excited
- Voyager, The Bronze Horseman, Unwind, Garden Spells,The Sugar Queen and The Battle of the Labyrinth.
Currently reading The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest which is really good!

Sue | 13 comments A slew of used books for children for our City's Parks and Recreation Department. Also The Red Tent by Anita Diamant.

Karen (ocdofbooks) | 15 comments K.B. wrote: "Got 2 boxes of books from eBay today. 80 books for $30. And only 7 that I've already read/have! There were even some new-to-me series in the boxes. It feels like Christmas to me."LOL! I love Ebay...I just got 47 True Crime books from there...less then a buck a book. Not bad....Your lot sounds really good too! Happy reading...

Suzanne (SuzanneRamos) | 29 comments Thanks for your input, Daphne...Happy reading :)

Helen Southall (Hsouthall) | 166 comments Heather wrote: "Just ordered Little Bee, Water for Elephants, & The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo!"

Great choices - all are good reads.

Heather (BookStacksOnDeck) (hrrrthrrrdm) | 78 comments Helen wrote:
Great choices - all are good reads."

Awesome! Can't wait to get them!

Afsana (afsanaz) This is my purches for the month

1) The Memory Keepers Daughter By Kim Edwards (readitswapit)
2)Price of Guilt by MArgerate Yorke (readtswapit)
3) Martin Luther King
4) The brutal Art by Jesse Kellerman
5) Dead simple/ Looking good dead by Peter James
6) The Suspect/ The night ferry by Michael Robotham
7) Damaged By Alex Kava
8) Birdman by Mo Hydar

Following from Joseph Wamburg
9) Onion Field
10) The New Centurions
11) The Blue Knight

12) Twisted soul by shaun Hutson
13) Skin By Mo Hyder
14) Chosen to die by Lisa Jackson (readitswapit)

Jill (Jillybeans) | 4474 comments Picked up Under the Dome in paperback at Kroger for a 25% discount. HUGE!

K.B. Hallman (kbhallman) | 321 comments Took my son to B&N today to pick up some of the books on this school year's reading list and had to grab a few for myself.

Cutting for Stone--because I've heard good things about it
The Passage--ditto
Arcadia Falls
31 Bond Street--this was a cover purchase

Marialyce | 1240 comments My daughter bought me Mudbound.

Cheri (Booklady43) i put 'Cutting for Stone' in my list of 'my top ten favorite books ever read'.... let me know how you like it!

K.B. wrote: "Took my son to B&N today to pick up some of the books on this school year's reading list and had to grab a few for myself.

Cutting for Stone--because I've heard good things about..."

K.B. Hallman (kbhallman) | 321 comments Well, Cheri, now I really want to read it; I'm always curious to see what kinds of books people consider best-ever. After all, there's a lot of competition out there. The best book I've read in recent years is The House of Lost Souls.

Suzanne (SuzanneRamos) | 29 comments Here is a list of my recent (and probably final) purchases (at least for a while, so my bank account won't suffer so much and so I can have money to pay bills)...hope you guys have some good input on my new finds :)

Lady Chatterly's Lover by D.H. Lawrence
Pygmalion by George Bernard Shaw
City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Masquerade by Melissa De La Cruz
Evermore by Alyson Noel
Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley
The Iron King by Julie Kagawa
The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa

Richard (nemzep95) Suzanne wrote: "Here is a list of my recent (and probably final) purchases (at least for a while, so my bank account won't suffer so much and so I can have money to pay bills)...hope you guys have some good input ..."

City of Bones and Vampire Academy are amazing!!! I love both series!!! You might have to cheat and buy the rest of the series soon!!! (assuming you love them as much as I do haha)

Richard (nemzep95) Today at a used bookstore that was having a moving sale (3 books for $10) I bought:

Mary, Mary by James Patterson
Cross by James Patterson
Double Cross by James Patterson
Womens murder club books 3, 5, 6, and 7
Lisey's Story by Stephen King
4 Past Midnight (I think that's the name) by Stephen King

Suzanne (SuzanneRamos) | 29 comments Thanks, Richard, for your encouragement on reading C.O.B. and V.A....I may just have to buy the rest of them very, very soon...even though I've told myself that I can't buy anymore books for a long, long time...well, I already broke that rule yesterday when I went to my local book club...I broke down and got:

Moonlight Road: A Virgin River Novel by Robyn Carr
Forbidden Falls: A Virgin River Novel by Robyn Carr
Angel's Peak: A Virgin River Novel by Robyn Carr
The Dream Thief by Shana Abe
Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning
Three Nights with a Scoundrel by Tessa Dare
Captured Dreams by May McGoldrick
Borrowed Dreams by May McGoldrick
Dreams of Destiny by May McGoldrick

K.B. Hallman (kbhallman) | 321 comments I'm convinced that the vow not to buy books is the hardest vow to uphold. I've broken it more times than I care to remember.

Heather (BookStacksOnDeck) (hrrrthrrrdm) | 78 comments Went to the used book store today & picked up Memoirs of a Geisha, The Road & The Book Thief. Only like $4 or $5 each! :D

Shellie Fry (memfry) | 13 comments A little extra time at the airport today, bought The Wednesday Sisters and The school for essential ingredients.

message 39: by Michelle (last edited Aug 03, 2010 09:58AM) (new)

Michelle Yesterday was a book buying day for me. First stop, the used book store, came out with "Gerald's Game" by Stephen King, "Echoes" by Maeve Binchy and "Moloka'i" by Alan Brennert. Next stop B&N, came out with O'Pioneers by Willa Cather, "Shiver" by Maggie Stiefvater and "Dracula, My Love (The Secret Journals of Mina Harker) by Syrie James. It was a good day!

LynnB Shellie wrote: "A little extra time at the airport today, bought The Wednesday Sisters and The school for essential ingredients."

The School of Essential Ingredients was really good...I could just about taste everything I was reading about! Very luscious to read.

Shellie Fry (memfry) | 13 comments LynnB wrote: "Shellie wrote: "A little extra time at the airport today, bought The Wednesday Sisters and The school for essential ingredients."

The School of Essential Ingredients was really good..."

Thanks, I can't wait to start it.

Trish (TrishaG) | 193 comments LynnB wrote: "Shellie wrote: "A little extra time at the airport today, bought The Wednesday Sisters and The school for essential ingredients."

The School of Essential Ingredients was really good..."

Just thinking about that makes me hungry (& fat).
Thought to ponder: Could reading a book about yummy food cure anorexia?
Hummm...?

Laura Beth (tampabookworm) | 219 comments Jan wrote: "I had a $50 gift certificate for Greenwoods Books (a great independent bookstore here in Edmonton) and the day off work today (Happy Canada Day everyone!) so decided this was the day to use the gif..."
Have you had a chance to read Ysabel by Guy Gavriel Kay yet? I read this and really liked it!

Chris (ChrisTMax) | 185 comments Raven - George Dawes Green
Play Dead - Harlen Coben

Just started Raven, not too sure about it yet but it's early days!

K.B. Hallman (kbhallman) | 321 comments Laura wrote: "Have you had a chance to read Ysabel by Guy Gavriel Kay yet? I read this and really liked it! "

I recently read a review recommending one of his books--Under Heaven, I think--and I'm waiting for it through the library system.

Caity (adivineeternity) | 28 comments I have found a treasure trove nearby - a used bookstore at which all proceeds go to the YWCA that runs it! I was so excited, I could have easily spent about $30, but I limited myself to spending $12. All paperbacks are $2, old hardbacks are $1, and new hardbacks are $3. I bought:

The Book Thief
Feet of Clay
Ender's Game
Ender's Shadow
Speaker for the Dead
Children of the Mind

(I already have the third Ender book, Xenocide)

Also, I pretty much spazzed when I saw The Book Thief. I almost yelled at my mom to move so I could grab it off the shelf because she was blocking my way.

K.B. Hallman (kbhallman) | 321 comments Well, the books that came in today's mail more than make up for the lousy morning I had.

The Whale Road
The Wolf Sea
The Wives of Henry Oades
The Book of Fires
The Betrayal of the Blood Lily
Shalador's Lady

One gift, two swaps, and three clearance books. Aah.

LynnB Little trip to the local bookstore:
Candide by Voltaire
The Bookman's Wake by John Dunning
Souls Raised from the Dead: A Novel by Doris Betts
The Book Class by Louis Auchincloss

message 50: by Diane D. (last edited Aug 13, 2010 11:35AM) (new)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 20 21

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Blue Heaven (other topics)
Library of the Dead (other topics)
The Reapers (other topics)
Ysabel (other topics)
Outlander (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

C.J. Box (other topics)
Guy Gavriel Kay (other topics)