Children's Books discussion

The Picture-Book Club > August 2010: North American Folktales (Master List & General Discussion)

Comments (showing 1-34)    post a comment »
dateUp arrow    newest »

message 34: by Gundula (new)

Gundula | 2246 comments I would like to recommend the following absolutely marvelous picture book by David Bouchard, Qu'Appelle. It's a wonderful retelling of the Cree folktale of "Qu'Appelle" (Saskatchewan, Canada, the Qu'appelle Valley is named for this folktale), featuring both a wonderful poetic narrative and evocative prints of paintings by renowned Cree artist Michael Lonechild. I was blown away by this book, it was both emotionally satisfying and beautiful, although sad as well.

message 33: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 978 comments Thanks, Kathryn. Off to check then crossing my fingers and checking at the library. I left spaces open on my reserver list so I can reserve up to 6 more books!!

message 32: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Kathryn | 3252 comments Mod
Voting is now closed. Please click here to see the winners:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...

message 31: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

I'm so glad, Gale :-)

message 30: by Gale (new)

Gale I'm not familiar enough with the other books to vote, but thanks for the welcome and for considering "Liza Lou". It's great to be part of this group!

message 29: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Welcome, Gale! If you want to vote for five books, feel free to do so. Otherwise, I will just consider the "Liza Lou" as another vote in the tally :-) I'm getting very excited about all these books!

message 28: by Gale (new)

Gale Thanks Bun and Abigail! Your comments are a huge help! It's great to be part of this group.

message 27: by Gale (last edited Jul 23, 2010 02:31PM) (new)

Gale I don't know much about this category of books, but my big thanks goes to Wilhelmina for nominating Liza Lou and the Yeller Belly Swamp because I LOVE it! And any tale about Brer Rabbit is delightful! (I'm new here, and I don't see any way to underline my book title or change my font. Can anyone help?)

message 26: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 978 comments Wilhelmina wrote: "I'm excited by all the votes for The Girl Who Spun Gold. My grandson and I have it and I love it (especially the illustrations!) but I don't know many people who've read it!"

Mina, I haven't read it yet, but I really want to read it!

message 25: by Wilhelmina (new)

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 231 comments I'm excited by all the votes for The Girl Who Spun Gold. My grandson and I have it and I love it (especially the illustrations!) but I don't know many people who've read it!

message 23: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Thanks for all the votes so far! :-)

message 20: by Gundula (last edited Jul 16, 2010 09:31PM) (new)

Gundula | 2246 comments Let's try this again, the last time the computer ate my post or the website wouldn't save it, frustrating.

Snowbear Whittington: An Appalachian Beauty and the Beast -- Euro-American

The Flying Canoe -- Euro Canadian

Borreguita and the Coyote -- Mexican

The Girl Who Spun Gold -- African American/West Indies

Turtle's Race with Beaver -- Native American/First Nations

And, as a sixth possible selection, Qu'Appelle -- Native American/First Nations

message 19: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Please VOTE for five of the books by posting a comment. Thanks!

message 18: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

I love being spoiled by an abundance of riches ;-) Keep the noms coming!

message 17: by Gundula (new)

Gundula | 2246 comments Wilhelmina wrote: "I realized that I included South America and we're doing North American folktales! I edited them out - I think I got carried away!"

Yeah, no worries!! And, I think I got carried away as well. Sorry about all of the selections, but there are just so many amazing choices available. It is going to be a major difficulty, coming up with five choices.

message 16: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

No worries, Wilhelmina! ;-) I may have to do a bit of editing when I put together the master list if some of the titles seem too hard-to-find at libraries so I would have caught it but I'm glad you went ahead and edited it to save me some time. Thanks! Hey, keep those other noms in mind in case we venture to South American Folktales someday ;-)

message 15: by Wilhelmina (new)

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 231 comments I realized that I included South America and we're doing North American folktales! I edited them out - I think I got carried away!

message 14: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Yay, more great nominations! Thanks!

message 13: by Wilhelmina (last edited Jul 13, 2010 11:57AM) (new)

message 12: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Jul 12, 2010 06:00PM) (new)

Well, I went searching and here are a few more I came across. Really, though, we already have such outstanding nominations I could find little to add! I hope everyone who wanted to nominate has had a chance to do so or will be able to post by the 15th. Then, we'll put these to a vote :-)

Jack and the Animals--Appalachian

The Erie Canal Pirates

Spotted Bear: A Rocky Mountain Folktale

Swamp Angel--Tennessee folktale

message 11: by Bernadette (new)

Bernadette (bernadettesimpson) | 45 comments The International Children's Digital Library has a collection of over 200 folk tales , 71 of them in English. I like to suggest these when I can since they are easily accessible by all group members. One that may be appropriate for your Mexican theme is Preitita and the Ghost Woman/Preitita ya la Llorona.

message 10: by Karol (new)

Karol | 85 comments Ooooh! So many great ones to choose from already. I think I'll pass on nominating this time, but look forward to joining in on reading as many of these as I can. Good stuff here!

message 9: by Gundula (last edited Jul 01, 2010 06:58PM) (new)

Gundula | 2246 comments Kathryn wrote: "Lisa wrote: " ;-)

Good luck, Kathryn!! ;-)"

Haha, thanks! ;-> Well, I think that what I will focus on is seeing how many of these titles seem widely available and perhaps narrow down the list be..."

Most of the ones I nominated, except for a few (Big Jabe and Thunder Rose for example) are available at my local library. Actually, I found that my library does not have a lot of African-American selections, which is too bad. When I nominate books, I try to generally nominate books I know I will be able to get at the library. Hmm, I can see that some of the Canadian selections I nominated might not be available at US libraries, I think the one most likely available would probably be The Flying Canoe.

message 8: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Jul 01, 2010 08:05AM) (new)

Lisa wrote: " ;-)

Good luck, Kathryn!! ;-)"

Haha, thanks! ;-> Well, I think that what I will focus on is seeing how many of these titles seem widely available and perhaps narrow down the list before we put it to a vote. I'm really excited to have all these nominations but know that my library system, which is usually pretty darn good, doesn't always have a lot in the way of more obscure "multicultural" titles. What about the rest of you? Do you feel like many of these are titles you could get access to, or do we need to focus only on those from recent years and/or big-name publishers? Part of me cringes to do that, because I know that some of the very best multi-cultural and folktale titles come from smaller presses, but I also know we have to have access to the books in order to have a discussion...

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 978 comments I'll go through my books, but I'm not sure I'll nominate books. Perhaps soon.

Abigail, you had a point. ;-)

Good luck, Kathryn!! ;-)

message 5: by Ronyell (new)

message 4: by Gundula (new)

Gundula | 2246 comments Kathryn wrote: "Thanks, Gundula, for kicking off the nominations. And you even broke it down into the different regions. Awesome! :-)"

It makes it easier, otherwise I would definitely get confused.

message 3: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Thanks, Gundula, for kicking off the nominations. And you even broke it down into the different regions. Awesome! :-)

message 2: by Gundula (last edited Jun 30, 2010 01:31PM) (new)

Gundula | 2246 comments This is going to be a real pain; there are so many choices to nominate, but here goes:

MEXICO: Adelita: A Mexican Cinderella Story

AFRICAN AMERICAN (WEST INDIES): The Girl Who Spun Gold

FRENCH CANADA: The Flying Canoe

APPALACHIA: Snowbear Whittington: An Appalachian Beauty and the Beast

NATIVE AMERICAN/FIRST NATIONS: Turtle's Race with Beaver

And, as a sixth choice, here is a selection from the Canadian Arctic, The Polar Bear Son: An Inuit Tale

I will be adding a few more, I just thought it might be better to add suggestions five or six at a time and use some headings.

message 1: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Jul 17, 2010 08:27AM) (new)

Please VOTE here for books for our August theme, North American Folktales.

For purposes of this discussion, "North American" will encompass: Mexico, USA, Canada, and the Caribbean.

My goal is to make sure we cover one book from each region, so if you could take that into consideration when you vote, that would be great. I also want to make sure that most of us have access to the books we decide on for the official reads, so if you could do a quick check at your library and make sure that you can get the books that you want before you vote, that would be super. That way, when I put together the official "winners" I can try to ensure that we'll all be able to get our hands on at least one or two so we can have a good discussion :-)

Due to the nature of this month's theme, I think it would be best if you read through the nominations below as each person posted them, rather than me trying to compile one comprehensive list. Some of the group members had reasons for nominating the books they did. Also, one of our members mentioned some books available to read online so you would need to check out that link and when you vote, mention that the selection is the online version.

I hope this isn't too confusing! Basically, read through the posts below and when you find the five books you like best, see if you can get them at your library then post a comment and vote for them. And, if you have any questions, just ask me! :-) I know we're tackling a big theme for August, but I'm super excited about it!

Votes will be accepted until July 29th! Thanks!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Girl Who Spun Gold (other topics)
The Polar Bear Son: An Inuit Tale (other topics)
Turtle's Race with Beaver (other topics)
Adelita: A Mexican Cinderella Story (other topics)
Snowbear Whittington: An Appalachian Beauty and the Beast (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jonathan London (other topics)
Jerry Pinkney (other topics)
Gerald McDermott (other topics)
Robert D. San Souci (other topics)
Audrey Wood (other topics)
More...