Desert Solitaire Desert Solitaire discussion

One of the best books of desert life

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa (last edited Jun 28, 2010 04:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Melissa Haven't read anything like this. It's almost good enough to convince me to move to the desert permanently. . . almost.

Charles I moved to the desert, and this book certainly planted the seeds that got me here. Others that you might enjoy:
"Blue Desert" by Charles Bowden (essays)
"All the Pretty Horses" by Cormac McCarthy (fiction, but with long descriptions of the border country desert)
"Desert Notes" by Barry Lopez (stories--kinda surreal like you're dying of thirst in the desert).
"The Journey Home" and "Beyond the Wall" (more essays by Edward Abbey), and "the Monkey Wrench Gang" (an epic novel about 4 peoples' love for the southwestern desert).

Khands I would add Abbey's "Black Sun" to the list as well.

Jason Bonneau Add the essays of Terry Tempest Williams to the list as well.

Joanne "Twentynine Palms, Murder, Marines and The Mojave" is a fine desert read.

Dallas Satterwhite My son recommended I read this. Having visited the area I really enjoyed the book.

Feliks Love this author.

Also try: "House Made of Dawn" (set in same environment, and the Pulitzer prize winner for literature in its year) by...ack, forget author's name.

Moonlight I loved this book. I was planning to visit the Southwest and someone recommended it. It sits next to a Sand County Almanac which is another book about an under-appreciated place.

David This is one of my favorite books of all time. It introduced me to Edward Abbey's writing who became my favorite author of all time. The book propelled me into a life long love affair with Southern Utah.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Desert Solitaire (other topics)