Gigi's Company discussion

Games > The Book Excerpt Game

Comments (showing 1-50 of 1,801) (1801 new)    post a comment »

Someoneyouknow | 5140 comments I hope it's OK that I started this topic. I have seen a game like this in one of the groups on Goodreads and thought it would be great to start a thread here.

Here are the rules: you turn to the given page and sentence of the book close to you and post that quote, then you post a page number and sentence number for the next person to use.

* This game is a lot more fun if you don't cheat! write the actual sentence not the one you think sounds best *

First post: turn to page 100, sentence 10.

the next person to post must post the 10th sentence on the 100th page AND chose the page and sentence number for the next person.

Kathleen Burket (KathleenGiGiCompany) | 13595 comments Mod
"Even with my owl tat, the tunnel was pitch dark, and all I could hear was the wind screaming like a banshee overhead." From the novella, "Skin Deep" by Karen Chance in the anthology, Inked Inked by Karen Chance

Next post: Turn to page 10, sentence 5.

message 3: by Someoneyouknow (last edited Jun 28, 2010 02:04AM) (new)

Someoneyouknow | 5140 comments "Step One : unlock seventeen locks on apartment door, fling myself into the living room-which-is-also-my-bedroom and begin stripping off clothing."

From The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Next post : Turn to page 150, sentence 1.

Ruby "I haven't heard nearly enough about you," he said, and Nina wanted to kill them both.

From Anyone But You by Jennifer Crusie Anyone But You  by Jennifer Crusie

Next post: The last sentence of the last page.

message 5: by Kathleen (last edited Jun 29, 2010 02:15PM) (new)

"She'd sure given him a real taste of Paradise."

From Midnight's Master (Midnight, Book 3) by Cynthia Eden Midnight's Master (Midnight, #3) by Cynthia Eden

Next post: Page 47, Sentence 12

message 6: by Someoneyouknow (last edited Jun 29, 2010 08:15AM) (new)

Someoneyouknow | 5140 comments "She trembled as she blew back the tissue paper over the engraving and saw it folded in two and fall gently against the page."

From Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert

Next post : page 17, sentence 3.

Ruby "My Noise churns and bubbles like a stew on the boil till finally I have to stop for a minute to calm myself down a little."

From The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness

Next post: page 3O, sentence 9

Someoneyouknow | 5140 comments "She kicked off her sandals, unbuttoned her blouse and removed it, unfastened her skirt and stepped out of it and went to the basin wall."

From Atonement by Ian McEwan Atonement by Ian McEwan

Nexr post : page 77, sentence 7.

Gina (GinRobi) | 3325 comments Mod
"But it was the spell, hovering in the air inside the gazebo, that held me fixed, like a hot palm against my throat."

From Magic in the Shadows (Allie Beckstrom, #3) by Devon Monk Magic in the Shadows (Allie Beckstrom, #3) by Devon Monk

Next post: Page 92, sentence 13

"She let out a sob."

From Vicious Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, Book 1) - Linda Robertson Vicious Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, #1) by Linda  Robertson

Next post: Page 199, Sentence 19.

Julia | 4479 comments "I'm a Cursor, and I think the First Lord is right."

From Furies of Calderon (book 1 of the Codex Alera) - Jim Butcher
Furies of Calderon (Codex Alera, #1) by Jim Butcher

Next post: page 53, sentence 7

message 12: by Ruby (last edited Jun 29, 2010 08:20PM) (new)

Ruby "It was the random, helplessness of it, more than anything."

From Losing Julia by Jonathan Hull Losing Julia by Jonathan Hull

Next post: page 5, sentence 5

message 13: by Someoneyouknow (last edited Jun 29, 2010 11:33PM) (new)

Someoneyouknow | 5140 comments "But she- but I- oh, just forget it!"

From Keep Me in Mind by Nancy Holder Keep Me in Mind (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) by Nancy Holder

Next post : page 111, sentence 3.

message 14: by Kathleen (last edited Jun 30, 2010 07:52AM) (new)

"And this time, they stayed on the roof, in the waking world, the place where the real magic happened."

From Believe In Me (Believe Trilogy, Book 3) by Jessica Barksdale Inclan Believe In Me (Croyants des Trois) (Believe Trilogy, #3) by Jessica Barksdale Inclan

Next Post: Page 218, Sentence 18

Someoneyouknow | 5140 comments "She could never love anything or anyone so selflessly as they did."

From Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Next post : page 48, sentence 15.

Ruby "A snowball in the face is surely the perfect beginning to a lasting friendship."

From The Book Thief by Markus Zusak The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Next post: page 201, sentence 17

Julia | 4479 comments "But if you'd picked up that toy, you might've lost a finger or two."

The Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon The Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon

Next post: page 69, sentence 4.

Someoneyouknow | 5140 comments "His lips are blue and his gold teeth glint."

Before I Die by Jenny Downham Before I Die by Jenny Downham

Next post: page 99, sentence 1.

message 19: by ♥Lisa♥ (last edited Jul 02, 2010 05:54PM) (new)

♥Lisa♥ (Zombie_Huntress) | 2318 comments "And now he's maneuvered you into the position of being his fiancee?"

Dead And Gone by Charlaine Harris Dead and Gone (Sookie Stackhouse, #9) by Charlaine Harris

Next post: Page 44 sentence 8

Someoneyouknow | 5140 comments "He was a crafty man, and resorted to many means to accomplish his purposes."

Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl by Harriet Ann Jacobs Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl (Dover Thrift Editions) by Harriet Ann Jacobs

Next post : page 105, sentence 6.

Ruby "Please, please write to me so that I can breathe again and so that my heart can find some peace."

From Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernières Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernières

Next post: page 1, sentence 1

message 22: by ♥Lisa♥ (last edited Jul 04, 2010 10:14AM) (new)

♥Lisa♥ (Zombie_Huntress) | 2318 comments The stench of death hung in the alley like smoke in a bar-so thick Caleb Locke swore he could see it.

From Zombie Moon by Lori Devoti Zombie Moon (Harlequin Nocturne #91) by Lori Devoti

Next post page 204 sentence 5

Ruby "An old caretaker and his wife were the only human beings she saw, not too often and merely of necessity ; they live some distance from the mansion, near the stables; the caretaker attended to the grounds and the horses; his wife attended to the house and cooked Dominique's meals."

From The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand

Next post: page 60, sentence 8

♥Lisa♥ (Zombie_Huntress) | 2318 comments An though sword,ax,bullet and fangs entered this ancient body, he retained no scares

Her Vampire Husband~Michele Hauf Her Vampire Husband (Wicked Games, #3) by Michele Hauf

Next post: page 300 sentence 4

Wendy T There are some things, after all, that Sally Owens knows for certain.

Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman

Next post: page 195 sentence 9

Ruby "'Cause you're my one and only true friend!"

From Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami

Next post: page 127, sentence 10

message 27: by Someoneyouknow (last edited Jul 05, 2010 09:11AM) (new)

Someoneyouknow | 5140 comments "Christ, Jenny had told me it was "incisive, intelligent and really well written." "

Love Story by Erich Segal

Next post: page 50, sentence 5.

message 28: by ♥Lisa♥ (last edited Jul 05, 2010 03:54PM) (new)

♥Lisa♥ (Zombie_Huntress) | 2318 comments Ever here a wolf do a catcall?

fromHer Vampire Husband~Michele Hauf Her Vampire Husband (Wicked Games, #3) by Michele Hauf

Next post: Page 100, sentence 10

Someoneyouknow | 5140 comments "What has a scarecrow to do with your heart?" Calcifer asked.

Howl's Moving Castle - Diana Wynne Jones Howl's Moving Castle (Castle, #1) by Diana Wynne Jones

Next post: Page 122, sentence 4

♥Lisa♥ (Zombie_Huntress) | 2318 comments He didn't turn to face her, but she sensed he knew she had approached

The Vampire's Quest~Vivi Anna The Vampire's Quest (Silhouette Nocturne) by Vivi Anna

Next post: page 40 sentence 5

Someoneyouknow | 5140 comments "This was a moment of clarification for Nicole - she knew from that moment that acting was the only life for her."

Nicole: The Unofficial Biography Of Nicole Kidman by Chow Victoria

Next post: page 97, sentence 9.

message 32: by Ruby (last edited Jul 06, 2010 08:19AM) (new)

Ruby "I cried: "Well, but - The sand, the heat, the vacant horizon." "

The English Patient-Michael Ondaatje The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje

Next post: page 68, sentence 7

Someoneyouknow | 5140 comments "But it was different this time; she withheld her own opinions; she didn't make Natasha, Andrei, and Pierre part of her world, as she had Luise and Emilia, but entered their world the way one sets out on a long and dazzling journey, or enters a castle which one is allowed to visit, even stay in until one feels at home, but without ever really shedding one's inhibitions."

The Reader by Bernhard Schlink The Reader by Bernhard Schlink

Next post: page 222, sentence 2.

♥Lisa♥ (Zombie_Huntress) | 2318 comments In my dream, he was human and we walked together in the sun.

Dead And Gone by Charlaine Harris Dead and Gone (Sookie Stackhouse, #9) by Charlaine Harris

Next post: page 48 sentence 4

Someoneyouknow | 5140 comments "She would possess astounding beauty, exciting envy and desire in every man who beheld her; she would spring from magical lineage, so that their offspring would inherit outstanding magical gifts; and she would have wealth at least equal to his own, so that his comfortable existence would be assured, in spite of additions to his household."

The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling

Next post : page 107, sentence 7.

Julia | 4479 comments "'Your man do that to you?' he says, staring at the scars on my arms and the few peeking out from my eye patch and hair."

Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce Sisters Red (Sisters Red, #1) by Jackson Pearce

Next post: page 89, sentence 4.

message 37: by Rebekah (last edited Jul 07, 2010 08:27AM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 1936 comments "When people do business with the coal company, they're dealing with outlaws" Something's Rising  Appalachians Fighting Mountaintop Removal by Silas House- Something's Rising: Appalachians Fighting Mountaintop Removal- Silas House

page 127 sentence 9

"Only she could ease him, but she never did."

Running Scared (Sentinel Wars, Book 3) - Shannon K. Butcher Running Scared (Sentinel Wars, #3) by Shannon K. Butcher

Next Post: Page 235, sentence 5.

Ruby "Group dynamics were the purpose and focus of these meetings."

Dark Lover by J.R. Ward Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward

Next post: page 99, sentence 11

message 40: by Someoneyouknow (last edited Jul 07, 2010 09:03AM) (new)

Someoneyouknow | 5140 comments "The impulse of gratitude swelled my heart, and I knelt down at the bedside, and offered up thanks where thanks were due; not forgetting, ere I rose, to implore aid on my farther path, and the power of meriting the kindness which seemed so frankly offered to me before it was earned."

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

Next post : page 300, sentence 7.

Ruby "Real beauty, not just the surface kind."

Testimony by Anita Shreve Testimony by Anita Shreve

Next post: page 312, sentence 2

Someoneyouknow | 5140 comments "'It'll scare yer ter death,' he warned."

A Woman of Substance by Barbara Taylor Bradford A Woman of Substance by Barbara Taylor Bradford

Next post : page 198, sentence 10.

message 43: by Rebekah (last edited Jul 07, 2010 07:26PM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 1936 comments "There are two things in the world, as I have found out, which cannot be prevented: you cannot keep a Zulu from fighting, or a sailor from falling in love upon the slightest provocation!"
King Solomon's Minesby H. Rider Haggard

page 2 sentence 5

Gina (GinRobi) | 3325 comments Mod
"If I could find a man that versatile and dependable, I'd marry him."

Agnes and the Hitman by Jennifer Crusie and Bob Mayer Agnes and the Hitman by Jennifer Crusie

Next post: page 246, sentence 12.

Someoneyouknow | 5140 comments "You have the most casually arrogant attitude towards drugs."

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Next post : page 133, sentence 3.

Ruby "And all the time on my own, alien and isolate, without a soul I could trust."

The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin

Next post: page 208, sentence 10

Someoneyouknow | 5140 comments "There is a world of accumulated feeling back of the trite dramatic expression--"I am going away." "

Sister Carrie by Theodore Dreiser Sister Carrie by Theodore Dreiser

Next post: page 212, sentence 12.

♥Lisa♥ (Zombie_Huntress) | 2318 comments Mindful of vamps' extreme hearing I added, "I appreciate that Eric",as if we were friendly acquaintances.

Next Post: page 300 sentence 2

message 49: by Ruby (last edited Jul 10, 2010 07:31AM) (new)

Ruby "'For the moment the worst is over,' he announced."

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

Next post: page 123, sentence 4

Someoneyouknow | 5140 comments "Perhaps she thought locking me away would keep me both safely in one place and out of her sight."

Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier

Next post: page 159, sentence 15.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 36 37