Gigi's Company discussion

Games > The Book Excerpt Game

Comments (showing 701-750 of 2,584) (2584 new)    post a comment »

message 701: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (Savhage Temptrest) (SavhageTemptress) | 130 comments "He's gone to join Felix's team."

Tangle of Need by Nalini Singh
Tangle of Need (Psy-Changeling, #11) by Nalini Singh

Next post: Page 365, sentence 17

message 702: by Someoneyouknow (new)

Someoneyouknow | 6592 comments "There was indeed a sky overhead that was purple and practically glowing."

Letting Go by Philip Roth Letting Go by Philip Roth

Next post: page 53, sentence 10

message 703: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Burket (KathleenGiGiCompany) | 18061 comments Mod
"I thought you loved the night shift."

The Hour of Dust and Ashes (Charlie Madigan, Book 3) by Kelly Gay The Hour of Dust and Ashes (Charlie Madigan, #3) by Kelly Gay

Next post: page 74, sentence 2.

message 704: by Someoneyouknow (new)

Someoneyouknow | 6592 comments "The sun shone on the mullioned windows of the house, and I could see the green lawns and the terrace reflected in them."

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

Next post: page 14, sentence 2

message 705: by Kathleen (last edited Jun 13, 2012 07:49AM) (new)

"Cats are not a sociable species, so they have little 'need for cooperative signals.'"

Know Your Cat by Bruce Fogle D.V.M. Know Your Cat by Bruce Fogle

Next post: Page 90, first sentence of last paragraph.

message 706: by Someoneyouknow (new)

Someoneyouknow | 6592 comments "Le voilà couché contre la terre, tout contre le corps de la langue-linceul du père, de la langue acide où dissoudre à jamais les résidus écoeurants de l'amour qu'il a porté à ce père."

Magnus by Sylvie Germain Magnus by Sylvie Germain

Next post: Page 33, last sentence of the first paragraph.

message 707: by Kathleen (new)

"An aggressive response is most likely to occur when you rub the cat's belly because it is the least protected part of a cat's body and never mutually groomed."

Know Your Cat by Bruce Fogle D.V.M. Know Your Cat by Bruce Fogle

Page 64, sentence 2.

message 708: by Someoneyouknow (new)

Someoneyouknow | 6592 comments "la mort est un maître venu d'Allemagne
tes cheveux d'or Margarete
tes cheveux de cendre Sulamith"

(the author was actually quoting the poem "Todesfug"("Death Fugue") by Paul Celan)

Next post: Page 313, sentence 2.

message 709: by Kathleen (last edited Jun 15, 2012 03:25PM) (new)

"Kenley stepped into the hall and her eyes widened with one look at the rag and the blood staining both my chest and my bra."

Shadow Bound (Unbound, Book 2) by Rachel Vincent Shadow Bound (Unbound, #2) by Rachel Vincent

Next post: Page 45, sentence 4.

message 710: by Someoneyouknow (new)

Someoneyouknow | 6592 comments "I can see myself now, unsuitably dressed as usual, although a bride of seven weeks, in a tan-coloured stockinette frock, a small fur known as a stone marten round my neck, and all over a shapeless mackintosh, far too big for me and dragging to my ankles."

Next post: Page 27, sentence 8.

message 711: by Kathleen (new)

"What trick is Coyote playin' now?"

Tricked (Iron Druid Chronicles, Book 4) by Kevin Hearne Tricked (Iron Druid Chronicles, #4) by Kevin Hearne

Next post: Page 98, last complete sentence.

message 712: by Someoneyouknow (new)

Someoneyouknow | 6592 comments "Son esprit se pétrifie, son coeur se condense en un bloc de sel."

Next post: Page 45, sentence 7.

message 713: by Kathleen (last edited Jun 16, 2012 05:24PM) (new)

"It isn't."

Wicked Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, Book 5) by Linda Robertson Wicked Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, #5) by Linda Robertson

Next post: Page 97, Second sentence in second complete paragraph.

message 714: by Someoneyouknow (new)

Someoneyouknow | 6592 comments "George Orwell correctly described England as 'the most class-ridden country under the sun.' "

Watching the English: The Hidden Rules of English Behaviour by Kate Fox Watching the English The Hidden Rules of English Behaviour by Kate Fox

Next post: Page 238, sentence 1.

message 715: by Kathleen (last edited Jun 17, 2012 02:49PM) (new)

"Send winter warmth with a snowman's smile."

The Ultimate Paper Crafts Collection by Stacy Croninger Editor-in-Chief The Ultimate Paper Crafts Collection by Stacy Croninger

Next post: Page 59, sentence 3.

message 716: by Someoneyouknow (new)

Someoneyouknow | 6592 comments "Now, around you, there is no longer the room of the department, the shelves, the professor : you have entered the novel, you see that Nordic beach, you follow the footsteps of the delicate gentleman."

If on a Winter's Night a Traveller by Italo Calvino If on a Winter's Night a Traveller  by Italo Calvino

Next post: Page 90, last sentence of the third paragraph.

message 717: by Kathleen (last edited Jun 18, 2012 08:11AM) (new)

"The two became inseparable once they'd realized they shared a similar sense of humor and the same passion for ideas."

A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, Book 1) by Deborah Harkness A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1) by Deborah Harkness

Next post: Page 9, sentence 4.

message 718: by Someoneyouknow (new)

Someoneyouknow | 6592 comments "And she would summon the waiter to her side, her voice sharp and staccato, cutting the air like a saw."

Next post: Page 118, sentence 4.

message 719: by Julia (last edited Jun 19, 2012 11:09AM) (new)

Julia | 8831 comments "A few of the women who has eescaped the FLDS grasp were breaking their silence, and church secrets began spilling into the gentile world."

Prophet's Prey: My Seven-Year Investigation into Warren Jeffs and the Fundamentalist Church of Latter-Day Saints by Sam Brower Prophet's Prey My Seven-Year Investigation into Warren Jeffs and the Fundamentalist Church of Latter-Day Saints by Sam Brower

Next post: page 334, sentence 7.

message 720: by Someoneyouknow (new)

Someoneyouknow | 6592 comments "Those were happy times, weren't they?"

David Copperfield by Charles Dickens David Copperfield  by Charles Dickens

Next post: page 304, sentence 3.

message 721: by Kathleen (last edited Jun 20, 2012 07:56AM) (new)

"A tempest had overwhelmed me, I read aloud from Matthew's copy of Aurora Consurgens."

A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, Book 1) by Deborah Harkness A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1) by Deborah Harkness

Next post: Page 30, 4th complete sentence from the bottom of the page.

message 722: by Someoneyouknow (new)

Someoneyouknow | 6592 comments "This is how you have changed since yesterday, you who insisted you preferred a book, something solid, which lies before you, easily defined, enjoyed without risks, to a real-life experience, always elusive, discontinuous, debated."

If on a Winter's Night a Traveller by Italo Calvino If on a Winter's Night a Traveller  by Italo Calvino

Next post: Page 35, last complete sentence

message 723: by Kathleen (new)

"The intimate room seats no more than 25 people so you feel as if you are having tea in an English home."

The Great Tea Rooms of America by Bruce Richardson The Great Tea Rooms of America by Bruce Richardson

Next post: Page 100, sentence 5.

message 724: by Someoneyouknow (new)

Someoneyouknow | 6592 comments " "Beware of the dark stranger," he said, and he laughed and kissed her again."

Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier

Next post: Page 154, sentence 3.

message 725: by Julia (new)

Julia | 8831 comments CYNTHIA PETERSON: ...He's an actor and he likes painting.

from "Isn't it Romantic"
The Heidi Chronicles and Other Plays by Wendy Wasserstein The Heidi Chronicles and Other Plays by Wendy Wasserstein

Next post: page 15, fifth complete sentence from the botttom of the page

message 726: by Kathleen (last edited Jun 21, 2012 07:16PM) (new)

"Death and danger still yanked at him, two distint ropes pulling him in opposite directions."

Lethal Rider (Lords of Deliverance, Book 3) by Larissa Ione Lethal Rider (Lords of Deliverance, #3) by Larissa Ione

Next post: Page 65, sentence 1.

message 727: by Someoneyouknow (new)

Someoneyouknow | 6592 comments "The horseman swerved as he saw Mary, and pulled up his horse to avoid her."

Next post: Page 50, second complete sentence from the bottom of the page.

message 728: by Kathleen (new)

"The terrariums in this section are meant to get your creative juices flowing."

Tiny World Terrariums: A Step-by-Step Guide to Easily Contained Life by Michelle Inciarrano & Katy Maslow Tiny World Terrariums A Step-by-Step Guide to Easily Contained Life by Michelle Inciarrano

Next post: Page 75, sentence 3.

message 729: by Julia (new)

Julia | 8831 comments "There were maybe only four of five out of over a hundred patients who really gave me a hard time, but nobody told me how I was supposed to deal with it, and nobody stopped them, so I went to work every morning with my gut in knots."

The Healer's War by Elizabeth Ann Scarborough The Healer's War by Elizabeth Ann Scarborough

The 'it' the sentence refers to is the unwanted sexual advances the MC experiences as a nurse in Vietnam.

Next post: page 257, sentence 8.

message 730: by Kathleen (last edited Jun 26, 2012 09:52PM) (new)

"Reginald Ames was not the first man to take his own life after a financial disaster and he would not be the last."

Crystal Gardens (Ladies of Lantern Street, Book 1) by Amanda Quick (pseudonym for Jayne Ann Krentz) Crystal Gardens by Amanda Quick

Next post: Page 77, sentence 7.

message 731: by Someoneyouknow (new)

Someoneyouknow | 6592 comments "I realized that it was the unendurable tension between inability to live and inability to die that made the unknown girl, the pretty dancer of the Black Eagle, so important to me."

Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse

Next post: Page 71, sentence 2.

message 732: by Kathleen (last edited Jul 02, 2012 08:09AM) (new)

"If your idea of a tea room is a pink cottage filled with frilly Victorian tables and chintz teapots, you are in for a surprise."

The Great Tea Rooms of America* by Bruce Richardson The Great Tea Rooms of America by Bruce Richardson

*Would love to visit every tea room discussed in this book.

Next post: Page 109, sentence 4.

message 733: by Someoneyouknow (new)

Someoneyouknow | 6592 comments "I believed in none of these stories; I asked my mother, and she told me they were the horrible inventions of evil-minded people; such things did not and could not exist."

Next post: Page 90, sentence 3.

message 734: by Kathleen (new)

"Thus extinction and natural selection go hand in hand." (The previous sentence was far more interesting.)

Charles Darwin's On the Origin of Species: A Graphic Adaptation by Michael Keller Charles Darwin's On the Origin of Species A Graphic Adaptation by Michael Keller

Next post: Page 39, first sentence of the last complete paragraph.

message 735: by Someoneyouknow (new)

Someoneyouknow | 6592 comments "She dressed hurriedly, and pulled on her stockings, leaving her shoes where they were, and then, opening the door, she stood and listened for a moment, hearing nothing but the slow choking tick of the clock in the hall."

Next post: Page 18, last sentence of the first paragraph.

message 736: by Kathleen (new)

"They had build stone fences and decanted spells to keep humans away, but animals were harder to convince."

Flesh and Fire (Vineart War, Book 1) by Laura Anne Gilman Flesh and Fire (Vineart War #1) by Laura Anne Gilman

Next post: Page 84, sentence 1.

message 737: by Someoneyouknow (new)

Someoneyouknow | 6592 comments "Miserable little propitiators of a remorseless Idol, how abject we were to him!"

Next post: Page 214, sentence 9.

message 738: by Kathleen (new)

"Strong, but not cruel."

Flesh and Fire (Vineart War, Book 1) by Laura Anne Gilman Flesh and Fire (Vineart War #1) by Laura Anne Gilman

Next post: Page 34, first sentence of last paragraph even partially on the page.

message 739: by Someoneyouknow (new)

Someoneyouknow | 6592 comments "Emma would, on the contrary, have preferred to have a midnight wedding with torches, but old Rouault could not understand such an idea."

Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert

Next post: Page 44, last (complete or incomplete) sentence on the page.

message 740: by Kathleen (new)

"A shove accompanied the question, a rough hand on his shoulder that rocked the boy back and almost made him lift his gaze."

Next post: Page 10, sentence 4.

message 741: by Someoneyouknow (new)

Someoneyouknow | 6592 comments "She sat with her chin cupped in her hands, her eyes fixed on the window splashed with mud and rain, hoping with a sort of desperate interest that some ray of light would break the heavy blanket of the sky, and but a momentary trace of that lost blue heaven that had mantled Helford yesterday shine for an instant as a forerunner of fortune."

Next post: Page 22, second sentence of the second paragraph.

message 742: by Kathleen (new)

"She was in the home of the dowager Countess of Winstead."

A Night Like This (Smythe-Smith Quartet, Book 2) by Julia Quinn A Night Like This (Smythe-Smith Quartet, #2) by Julia Quinn

Next post: Page 38, sentence 8.

message 743: by Someoneyouknow (new)

Someoneyouknow | 6592 comments "Did you give your son the name of Ham, because you lived in a sort of ark?"

Next post: Page 265, sentence 2.

message 744: by Kathleen (new)

"He crossed his."

A Night Like This (Smythe-Smith Quartet, Book 2) by Julia Quinn A Night Like This (Smythe-Smith Quartet, #2) by Julia Quinn

Next post Page 13, sentence 7.

message 745: by Someoneyouknow (new)

Someoneyouknow | 6592 comments "But I do not at all complain of having been kept out of this property; and if anybody else should be in the present enjoyment of it, he is heartily welcome to keep it."

Next post: Page 25, last sentence of the third paragraph.

message 746: by Kathleen (last edited Jul 13, 2012 08:05AM) (new)

"But this . . . Her . . . She"

Next post: Page 299, sentence 9.

message 747: by Someoneyouknow (new)

Someoneyouknow | 6592 comments "Such peace."

The Magus by John Fowles The Magus by John Fowles

Next post: Page 203, sentence 2.

message 748: by Kathleen (new)

"And as I was also required to complete a few errands-"

Next post: Page 97, sentence 3.

message 749: by Someoneyouknow (new)

Someoneyouknow | 6592 comments "This is about the damnedest thing I ever saw, he said."

No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy

Next post: Page 34, sentence 8.

message 750: by Kathleen (last edited Jul 15, 2012 10:34PM) (new)

"If a person had been killed with what I had been holding, I'd get the treat of feeling what it was like to die right along with them."

Con & Conjure (Raine Benares, Book 5) by Lisa Shearin Con & Conjure (Raine Benares #5) by Lisa Shearin

Next post: Page 78, third sentence of the third paragraph.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Inked (other topics)
The Time Traveler's Wife (other topics)
Anyone But You (other topics)
Midnight's Master (other topics)
Madame Bovary (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Karen Chance (other topics)
Audrey Niffenegger (other topics)
Jennifer Crusie (other topics)