Romance, Historical or Otherwise discussion

Comments (showing 1-50 of 142) (142 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (MsShell) | 1520 comments Mod
Many of them out there... Usually paranormal, ranging from mild to the bizarre... Outside of Twilight I haven't read any... Recomendations...?

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) I read the Poison Study trilogy. Quite good, YA, and romance. Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder Magic Study (Study, #2) by Maria V. Snyder Fire Study (Study, #3) by Maria V. Snyder

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (ThePirateWench) | 35 comments I picked up Alyson Noelseries the immortals..Im really enjoying them..I might give the poison study a try..its in the adult section..no wonder I couldnt find..

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) It's in the adult section? So not adult...that's strange.
They don't even describe the sex in the book, you just know they're doing it.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (ThePirateWench) | 35 comments nope...in the "fiction" section in chapters.Ive actually found others shelved there..Richelle MeadherSuccubus Bluesand others in the series not in YA or adult had to order threw amazon..maybe stores have "certain rules? or what they think is adult or not? sometimes when Im in the "teen" section looking for something I get looks from the girls"like..arent you in the wrong section lady"? oh well...I love to here others suggestions too on good YA books.

message 6: by willaful (new)

willaful | 102 comments Some bookstores do "creative shelving" to help customers find items they might otherwise miss.

message 7: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (yahoodymcewan) | 20 comments The Poison Study trilogy were really really good, i read the storm glass books by maria v. Synder aswell & they are just as good.:)

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) Fiona wrote: "The Poison Study trilogy were really really good, i read the storm glass books by maria v. Synder aswell & they are just as good.:)"

Oh great! I'll keep those in mind.

message 9: by SimBim (new)

SimBim | 1 comments Oh My God, there are millions!!!
The Mortal Instruments books by Cassandra Clare? They're really good!
Also, maybe you could try the Demon's Lexicon books by Sarah Rees Brennan. These books are actually more actiony than romantic, but I have a feeling they'll become more romantic, esp. the last book!

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) Depends... do you want a more innocent romance with less action similar to a Twilight type story, or do you want more action or sexual tension?

If you just want the sweet "meant to be love", then try Rachel Hawthorne's Dark Guardian series, starting with moonlight (wolves).

Would you like something with a bit more attraction/tension or forbidden love? If so, I'd definitely recommend The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare, starting with City of Bones. This is UF/PNR, and has just as much action as romance.

Historical or magical? The Gemma Doyle trilogy starting with A Great and Terrible Beauty has a different type of love story, set in the Victorian era. The ending is debatable if it's happy or not, some would say it's semi-sad, but the author left it open for interpretation that it would turn out for them eventually.

If you want more story than romance, but still want the romance element, then the Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins is currently one of the best YA offerings out there.

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) I forgot about the Mortal Instruments series. I've read 1 and 2, waiting for my daughter to finish 3 so I can have a crack at it...I really, really liked them so far.

message 12: by Kathy Anne (new)

Kathy Anne (KathyAnne) I really liked Shiver and Linger but we get those blasted cliffhangers in both of them and I really don`t like those things.
But the stories are good and they are good love stories too for the main couple

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) I have Shiver on my TBR as well.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) Shiver is good, haven't read Linger yet but I'm looking forward to it.

message 15: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

I've heard many mixed reviews on Shiver. I wanted to read it at one time, but was advised against it.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (ThePirateWench) | 35 comments Besides Twilight being #1 on my keeper list ( I know I can mention that title since Shell is a fan) Im probably the only one here who loves The luxe series:The Luxe Rumors EnvySplendor all by Anna GodbersenIm on book 3...the ending of Rumors made me cry..my heart goes out to each of these girls in different ways. not all books are for everyone...but I couldnt put these down.

message 17: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

I've heard about these books... Tons.

message 18: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Aug 01, 2010 09:03PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) Shell wrote: "I've heard many mixed reviews on Shiver. I wanted to read it at one time, but was advised against it."

This one is on my list of books that people raved about but didn't quite live up to the hype. I really enjoyed the book and have no qualms recommending it, but am not sure what the "craze" was about.

I find that it was unique in the way that the book dealt with shifters in general. The wolves become wolves when the temperature changes/gets too cold, which was interesting.

I will say that this book is much better than a few of the other recent overhyped books, like Lauren Kate's Fallen. That one just barely made 3 stars for me. I liked it, but the book didn't get to any sort of point until about 2/3 of the way through.

message 19: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 142 comments I loved 20 Boy Summer
It was sad and sweet!

Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler

message 20: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Rhonda just read Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater and Prophecy of the Sisters (Prophecy of the Sisters, #1) by Michelle Zink Guardian of the Gate (Prophecy of the Sisters, #2) by Michelle Zink

She LOVED all 3!! I myself, haven't been able to get interested in any YA's since Twilight.

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) Yeah, I thought Shiver kinda sucked. It only had one redeeming moment, in which I cried like a baby. That's it.

message 22: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Oh so.. Dont bother then?

message 23: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 142 comments My library just ordered Forbidden for me. I'm very excited to read this taboo subject. It has a great buzz from some of my gr friends. Forbidden  by Tabitha Suzuma

message 24: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

That looks fantastic... Looks like a total Shell book.

message 25: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 142 comments Shell wrote: "That looks fantastic... Looks like a total Shell book."

Yup! :-)

message 27: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Teenage Angst.. from what I gather... Read the reviews.. Click on the link..It sounds real good.

message 28: by Jenese (new)

Jenese (Readers Confession) (jsnow09) | 41 comments I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned, maybe I missed it. One of my fav YA series is Vampire Academy. This is a very close 2nd to Twilight for me, possibly better. I would check it out.

message 29: by Kay (new)

Kay (CaliKay) | 1216 comments Jenese wrote: "I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned, maybe I missed it. One of my fav YA series is Vampire Academy. This is a very close 2nd to Twilight for me, possibly better. I would check ..."

I totally agree, Jenese!! I love Twilight since that is what started my reading craze but I do at times feel that VA may be better!

message 30: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Sep 08, 2010 01:40PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) I have book one of VA sitting around waiting to be read. As soon as I finish a couple others, I'll be getting to it.

*edit* nm, that might have been a spoiler. Looking forward to reading Forbidden as well. It looks interesting.

message 31: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 160 comments Some of my favorite YA books/series would be The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset by Suzanne Collins this series is absolutely fantastic!!! Another would be Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush, #1) by Becca Fitzpatrick I just recently read this one and really enjoyed it

message 32: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Sep 08, 2010 02:00PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) Jessica wrote: "Some of my favorite YA books/series would be The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset by Suzanne Collins this series is absolutely fantastic!!!"

Just a disclaimer : Hunger Games is great, but the romance is secondary to the action/fighting (it's not a romance book, but there are love interests). If you can handle teen on teen violence, I'd recommend it because the story itself has so much impact. My husband and son were also drawn in by the trilogy, so it gave us all something to discuss in common. I'm still thinking about book 3 over a week after reading it.

@Jessica, have you tried the Mortal Instruments series? It's definitely YA in nature, but if you don't mind YA based reads, it's a fun one with a forbidden love element to it. Yes, I already mentioned it in this thread, I know.
City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2) by Cassandra Clare City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3) by Cassandra Clare

If you like Hunger Games that much, you may like the Study series (mentioned earlier on the page by Heather). The heroine is strong, like Katniss in Hunger Games. This series is fantasy based.
Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder Magic Study (Study, #2) by Maria V. Snyder Fire Study (Study, #3) by Maria V. Snyder

message 33: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 160 comments I agree the "love story" in Hunger Games is not what makes the books so good. I actually don't like how people have tried to make it more of a love story then what it is actually about. Does that make sense? LOL...it's not a love story people!!!

I read Mortal Instruments when I first started reading and at the time I have to admit that I didn't love it although I did like it enough to read the first 3 BUT I was still new to the whole "reading thing" lol, I actually want to re-read that series again now that I have a few books under my belt ;) If I'm not reading a PNR I'm reading either YA (romance or not) or a historical romance of some sort!!

message 34: by Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) (last edited Sep 08, 2010 05:05PM) (new)

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) I strongly recommend these two trilogies as well! Great reads!

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2) by Cassandra Clare City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2) by Cassandra Clare
and Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder Magic Study (Study, #2) by Maria V. Snyder Fire Study (Study, #3) by Maria V. Snyder

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) Firelight (Firelight, #1) by Sophie Jordan

If you like cute Romeo and Juliet type love stories (or was a fan of something like Twilight) you will like this one about a girl that is a dragon shifter who falls in love with a dragon hunter.

In so many other groups I almost have to include that it's a sappy love story as a disclaimer (haha), but since this is a romance group, I figured people that enjoy YA romance would like this one.

message 36: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 436 comments I have a soft spot for this genre...however I like reading romance when there is more to a plot then just the romance, if that makes sense...

message 37: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Oct 13, 2010 03:13PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) I think that you probably already saw my review on it in the YA sci-fi/fantasy forum already (at least I think that's where I put the discussion that we were talking about - I am terrible with keeping track), but I'll go ahead and give more info anyway.

It does have some story/plot/action (they are shifters and dragon hunters), but the story is definitely a love story first, action story distant second. There's a pretty good chance that book 2 might have more meat to it, since at some point the heroine is going to have to deal with the fact that there is a whole sub-group of people trying to kill her for her skin.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) Actually, this was one of my favorite YA romances that I've read in the past 6 months (involves time travel from DaVinci era Italy to the present).

The Hourglass Door (Hourglass Door Trilogy, #1) by Lisa Mangum

message 39: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 436 comments oh wow, just clicked on it, I had never heard of this book! souns pretty cool! I'm adding it to my read list unforunatly I can't really read anytime soon...

message 40: by jenny (new)

jenny  | 10 comments I'll second A Great and Terrible Beauty. I also enjoyed City of Bones. I still need to read the other two in the series. I'd like to recommend two of my favorites A Certain Slant of Light A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb and The Silver Metal Lover The Silver Metal Lover (Silver Metal Lover, #1) by Tanith Lee

message 41: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 436 comments A Great and Terrible Beauty (Gemma Doyle, #1) by Libba Bray I really enjoyed this series and the romance was real cute and witty

message 42: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 380 comments Hi all! Being new to this group just wanted to ask if anyone hear has read "The Vampire Diaries"? A review I read a while back said it was what Twilight wish it could be. I just finished watching season one of the series and I will admit it was amazing! Addicting! And a hell of a season finale! Any feedback??

message 43: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Nov 08, 2010 10:18PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) I've heard that the show is much better than the books. I've only seen the show, so I can't say which is better between the show and the books.

Just about everyone I know that's read a lot of what's current says that Vampire Academy is infinitely better than Vampire Diaries. I'm on book 3 of VA right now and loving it. Book 1 was just only about 3 stars for me, but book 2 was absolutely a 5 star read. I think it was the addition of Adrian to the series that amped it up.

...on another note, I loved Gemma Doyle (A Great and Terrible Beauty, as listed above). It's different though from a normal historical. It's sort of historical mixed with fantasy.

message 44: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

It's weird... Being a HUGE Twilight fan.. (And when I say huge, I mean... crazy obsessed, read the series 5x.. Seen the first movie 23x...(19 Of which was in the Theatre)... Went to watch the filming of New Moon in Vancouver... Fancied myself in love with Robert Pattinson.. Husband not withstanding..(but he knows, so it's all good)...(My husband, not Rob)..Seen New Moon 8x in theatres.. and had to limit myself to only 3x for Eclipse.. And it was tragic...First step is admitting you have a problem... Kinda huge...)...

You would think I would have more of a vested interest in the YA genre.. But I have yet to find another book that can even remotely capture my interest.. It's weird... Maybe I don't want to cheat on Bella and Edward?!? I dunno... I don't get it... Lol

message 45: by Rea (new)

Rea I read the first book of the Vampire Diaries earlier this year. Honestly, don't bother with the books. The TV programme is infinitely better! In TVD, the characters aren't 3D, they're not even 2D because so little goes into them! The writing is shoddy; Elena's love for Stefan literally comes out of nowhere. I'm talking she goes all stalker-ish, finds herself in his room and suddenly has this epiphany that she loves him without having said more than a handful of words to him beforehand. Like, huh? Admittedly, I've only read the first book so it might get better later but I have no hopes for it. And the TV series has Ian Somerhalder who is just yum!

I'm not a big fan of YA romance lately. Ever since Twilight came out there just seems to be countless books telling girls that they can't be anything without a boy, that they have to be completely codependant on him (though this only works one way and he's not codependant on her), and that she should just stop existing if ever he leaves her for whatever reason. Not a good message to be sending impressionable young girls, in my opinion! Also, not fair on teenage boys as there's no way that they can live up to the expectations that these books are telling the girls to require of them.

message 46: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Nov 09, 2010 12:04AM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) That's not always true. A lot of YA romance in the fantasy genre tends to feature very strong heroines.

The study series is a great example. Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder Magic Study (Study, #2) by Maria V. Snyder Fire Study (Study, #3) by Maria V. Snyder The heroine is a poison taster and is trained to fight by an assassin.

The reason I mentioned Vampire Academy is because Rose (the lead) is the opposite of Bella in Twilight. It still has romance (and both guys in the love triangle are appealing), but the heroine is a trained fighter and bodyguard. Book 1 just starts off a bit disjointed I think, but once you get past that part the books get really good.

message 47: by Rea (new)

Rea I've read the Study trilogy too. Though when I read it it was being marketed as adult fantasy fiction rather than YA. I really enjoyed Poison Study, thought it was very well thought out, if not particularly well written. Magic Study was ok, though Valek's role in the story became... well, they meet up, they have sex, they part. Rinse and repeat. Which I wasn't much of a fan of. Fire Study, though, just wasn't on par with the first two books of the trilogy. I don't know whether it's because Snyder's publishers required her to write faster or because she ran out of love for this particular story but in Fire Study the writing just crumbled, half the book felt like it was just a retelling of the events of the first books and a lot of the rest of the narration was travelling, which felt like it was only there to fill up space. I cannot put into words how disappointed I was by this as the whole way through the book I desperately wanted it to be good but couldn't quite convince myself that it was. The ending, however, was excellent. Now if only the whole book had been in that vein!

But yes, there are some very good YA ones out there, especially in fantasy rather than urban fantasy / paranormal romance (Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan being one of my favourites, also like The Books of Pellinor by Alison Croggon.) But, unfortunately, my point still stands that there are a lot of books out there that present very weak female characters. And my local English language bookstores seem to only have these sorts of Twilight-esque titles on offer. I have not been able to find one good YA book for girls (though a few for boys) from these stores in a long time. I find this a shame and hope that the better titles start to come to the forefront in the near future.

message 48: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 380 comments Great feedback ladies! Thanks! I'll take your advice an forego reading VD and try VA! That's too bad VD wasn't what I had hoped it might be!

I wanted to mention the Books of Pellinor too! It's an amazing read. It's a quartet and I just started book four, The Singing.(gotta learn how to link!) I highly recommend it! It's very Lord of the Ringsish with a female protagonist. Here is a link to a review on Amazon since I won't do it justice.

http://www.amazon.com/Naming-First-Bo...

message 49: by Ladyhawk (last edited Nov 09, 2010 07:26AM) (new)

Ladyhawk | 380 comments Ok Shell...so you have a problem...lol

Food for thought... While watching VD, there seem to be an awful lot of similarities to Twilight! Just made me wonder; don't get upset, but just how original Meyer’s story really is... (oh, hand over mouth)

message 50: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

WHAT?!?!?!.....Oh NO, She didn't!!!... Lol.. Just razzin ya...

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Fire Study (other topics)
Magic Study (other topics)
Poison Study (other topics)
Succubus Blues (other topics)
Splendor (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Alyson Noel (other topics)
Richelle Mead (other topics)