We Love Lisa Kleypas discussion

Member's Questions > Anyone got a Nook?

Comments (showing 1-29 of 29) (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (Bekah317) | 2750 comments Thinking of using my recent lay off as an excuse to buy myself a present in the form of an e reader and thinking the Nook might be it. Seems to be really versatile.

Do any of you lovely ladies have one?

message 2: by KellyJo (new)

KellyJo | 16 comments I just got one today.. Wish I could tell you more about it but i'm still playing around on it..

message 3: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (Bekah317) | 2750 comments well let me know when you know better! have fun!

message 4: by Robin (RBBR) (new)

Robin (RBBR) | 361 comments Borders is planning to have a section in their stores where you check out different E-Readers. So far they market Sony, Kobo (they're the exclusive dealer for the US) and Aluratek. Here's a link to their page with info about the three readers (4 if you count the tow Sony versions seperate) http://www.borders.com/online/store/M...

message 5: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (Bekah317) | 2750 comments Thanks for the info Robin!

message 6: by Robin (RBBR) (new)

Robin (RBBR) | 361 comments You're welcome

message 7: by E. (new)

E. R. (DilawRosas) | 464 comments Has anyone tried KOBO? I wondered if it is ranked as high in the ratings. Read that Kindle is the number 1 in e-readers.

message 8: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 7995 comments I have a Sony and love it.

message 9: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (Bekah317) | 2750 comments I have been looking to Sony as well.

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (aew1200) | 16 comments I have a Nook and I love it! I bought it several months ago before the price dropped and still thought that it was worth it. Since they lowered the price I tell everyone to get one. The only thing that I don't like is that you can only lend books once. I wish they would change that.

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura (LauraStamps) I have a question for Nook owners. I know you can't read Kindle books on a Nook, but can you read pdfs on a Nook? Is it easy to do? I just wondered because readers of my novels who have Nooks ask me all the time and I don't have a Nook so I don't really know for sure. Thanks!

message 12: by new_user (new)

new_user I know you can read pdfs on the Nook, Laura, but no idea if it's easy or difficult.

message 13: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 7995 comments Here's the problem I've heard regarding .pdf files. On many readers, you have to read .pdf files on the smallest setting otherwise the paragraph breaks, sentences, etc., can run together making things interesting. HOWEVER, if the .pdf file isn't encoded with .DRM, you can convert it to your readers format using Calibre, a free file converting program.

message 14: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 7995 comments Oh, and I wanted to add that I do have that problem on my Sony, and have heard others complain about it as well. Coverting the file takes care of that.

Laura you could experiment with it so you know what to tell your readers.

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura (LauraStamps) Good to know, Dhestiny! One of my buds on Twitter is Sony. And when I mentioned some of my Sony fans were having a problem with pdfs the Sony rep said you should be able to read a pdf easily on your Sony. Now we know you need Calibre to do it. Cool!

I know it is easy with a Kindle. You can send the PDF to the Kindle with "Convert" in the subject line and it will be converted. Since the 2.3 Kindle update in December 2009 you need to put "Convert" into the subject line of the e-mail in order for Amazon to convert it for you. Otherwise, it just sends you back a pdf. Only put "Convert" in the subject line. Even if you say "Please Convert" they will send it back as a pdf.

message 16: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 7995 comments You don't have to convert the .pdf file to epub, it's just that for some reason, SOME of the .pdf files have to be read on the smallest setting which is really, really small. Converting them fixes that.

message 17: by Aimee (new)

Aimee (Facere323) | 31 comments I love my Nook. My husband got it for me for Valentine's day and now he's threatening to get rid of it. He thinks I spend more time with IT than him. I know that there is a way to side-load pdf onto it. I've just never done it. I think there are detailed instructions of how to do it on B&n.com in the FAQ's about Nook.

message 18: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (last edited Aug 08, 2010 10:06PM) (new)

Bekah (Bekah317) | 2750 comments Dhestiny - I have a question about Calibre... I bought some books from ereader and they have a DRM, so Calibre won't convert them. How do you get around that? I have unlocked them already through ereader...but do I need to run them through calibre to load them on my nook then? Sorry for all the questions!

I was just wondering..I don't actually have my nook yet...will in a couple of weeks. Decided on the nook for several reasons plus the Kindle is out of stock until Sept, and just couldn't wait that long...

message 19: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 7995 comments As of right now, stripping the DRM is illegal, which is why Calibre won't do it. There are software programs out there that you can use, but some want your credit card number because if you buy from B&N part of their DRM encryption uses the credit card number you used to buy the book. I'm not ok with giving my credit card information to a company who is doing something illegal for you to begin with.

Since I don't own a Nook, I'm afraid I couldn't tell you what you need to do to load it to your reader. Call B&N tech support and see what they tell you.

I wish I had the answers for you :(

message 20: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (Bekah317) | 2750 comments thats ok, i just really appreciate you taking the time! I will figure it out!

message 21: by Laura (new)

Laura (LauraStamps) Bekah, whenever one of my readers has an e-reader question I google it. Chances are someone has had the same problem and how they solved it is on the web. Try that and I bet you will fgure out what to do. Good luck!

message 22: by Annie (new)

Annie (PrplSkys) So if I bought a kindle could I still shop an B&N for an ebook? And vise versa? I just hate the thought of being limited to one store because of My e-reader. I think that's a big reason why I haven't gotten one yet.

message 23: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 7995 comments I felt the same way, PrplSkys. And the answer to your question is, not necessarily. Amazon and B&N and Borders are adding encryptions that make it impossible to change the formatting of the books without stripping the DRM which is illegal at this time. What I do is buy my ebooks from fictionwise.com or booksonboard.com where they offer multiple formats. If one of those stores don't have what I'm looking for, I'll then buy from the Sony Store (because I have a Sony)

It's really weird because SOME B&N books can be reformatted, but not others. I talked to their tech support one day and that's how I found out about the DRM encryption.

Personally, I don't like having to purchase from one particular store, which is why I appreciate having the other 2 that I mentioned as well as allaboutromance.com eharlequin.com and others.

message 24: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (Bekah317) | 2750 comments i have another question...I bought my first e books last night...from ereader.com... I bought the confessions of a shopaholic series..all but the first one because for some reason they didn't have it...but anyway, I was wondering...I noticed they had their own software, ereader, and I know that B&N does as well. Do we need to download their software from each company we purchase from?

message 25: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 7995 comments I haven't had to download anything from fictionwise or booksonboard. They just download to your computer and you import them into your reader. Now with Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Sony you have to have their software on your computer.

message 26: by Annie (new)

Annie (PrplSkys) UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "I felt the same way, PrplSkys. And the answer to your question is, not necessarily. Amazon and B&N and Borders are adding encryptions that make it impossible to change the formatting of the books w..."
Thanks Dhes! Great to know I'll research this DRM formatting. Also - It occurred to me that some books are able to be converted and others not (maybe) because of the copyright or permission level set by the author? Just a thought.

message 27: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 7995 comments Yep, that's all part of the DRM - digital rights management.

message 28: by Annie (new)

Annie (PrplSkys) Ah! Doh. Well at least I thought of it before I knew what DRM meant...koodos to me. I Do have a brain! ;)

message 29: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 7995 comments LOL!!!!!! AND You know how to use it!

unread topics | mark unread