The Innocent A Novel – Posie Graeme-Evans
Jerusalem – Cecelia Holland
The Name of the Rose – Umberto Eco
The Sunne in Splendour – Sharon Kay Penman
A Vision of Light: A Margaret of Ashbury Novel – Judith Merkle Riley
The Winter Mantle – Elizabeth Chadwick
Year of Wonders – Geraldine Brooks

The Alchemist’s Daughter – Katharine McMahon
The Autobiography of Henry VIII With Notes by His Fool, Will Somers – Margaret George
The Birth of Venus – Sarah Dunant (Currently reading - audiobook version)
Circle of Pearls – Rosalind Laker
The Crimson Petal and the White – Michel Faber
Fingersmith – Sarah Waters
The Game of Kings First in the Legendary Lymond Chronicles – Dorothy Dunnett
Girl with a Pearl Earring – Tracy Chevalier
Lady’s Maid A Novel – Margaret Forster
The Many Lives and Secret Sorrows of Josephine B. – Sandra Gulland
Master and Commander – Patrick O’Brian
Mr. Midshipman Hornblower – C.S. Forester
The Other Boleyn Girl – Philippa Gregory
Penmarric – Susan Howatch
Sails on the Horizon A Novel of the Napoleonic Wars – Jay Worrall
The Secret Diary of Anne Boleyn – Robin Maxwell
Sharpe’s Tiger – Bernard Cornwell
Through a Glass Darkly – Karleen Koen

United States
Ahab’s Wife Or, The Star-gazer A Novel – Sena Jeter Naslund
The Alienist – Caleb Carr
Beloved – Toni Morrison
Brookland A Novel – Emily Barton
City of Light – Lauren Belfer
Cold Mountain – Charles Frazier
The Color Purple – Alice Walker
Creek Mary’s Blood – Dee Brown
Daughter of Fortune A Novel – Isabel Allende
Enemy Women A Novel – Paulette Jiles
Into the Wilderness – Sara Donati
The Killer Angels – Michael Shaara
The Known World – Edward P. Jones
Lincoln A Novel – Gore Vidal
North and South – John Jakes
People of the Wolf – W. Michael Gear
Ragtime A Novel – E.L. Doctorow
Sacajawea – Anna Lee Waldo
These Is My Words – Nancy E. Turner
Voodoo Dreams A Novel of Marie Laveau – Jewell Parker Rhodes

Empress Orchid – Anchee Min
The Impressionist – Hari Kunzru
Memoirs of a Geisha – Arthur Golden
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan – Lisa See (reading next month for a local book club)
Spring Moon A Novel of China – Bette Bao Lord

Middle East/Africa
Exodus – Leon Uris
A Falcon Flies – Wilbur Smith

message 2: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_b) | 156 comments Hi LemonLinda, What did you think of Ahab's wife?

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) LOL! I just nominated Ahab's Wife for the next group read! :)

I'd love to hear what you thought of it too, LemonLinda...

message 4: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson42353) | 856 comments I really enjoyed it. I picked it up in 2007 because I had read Abundance: A Novel of Marie Antoinette by the same author, Sena Jeter Naslund earlier that year and enjoyed her writing a lot. It was really intense at places with some subject matter that is hard to take, but the overall story was great and very well written, I thought. I would highly recommend it.

message 5: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson42353) | 856 comments 12 books down - 12 to go for the challenge.

I am really enjoying it and reading some great books. Just finished The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons and loved it.

message 6: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_b) | 156 comments I just finished TBH too. Even though it could have used better editing, I still loved it! I already have the second and third books on the way :) Btw, my GR friend m.allen told me about the book Tatiana's Table: Tatiana and Alexander's Life of Food and Love. If you're into cooking, it sounds pretty neat.

message 7: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson42353) | 856 comments Finished The Blood of Flowers by Anita Amirrezvani and if anyone is looking for a good fit for completing Jon's task - this one definitely works.

message 8: by PDXReader (new)

PDXReader I can't believe you're up go 269 points, you creep! ;-)

message 9: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 230 comments LemonLinda wrote: "Finished The Blood of Flowers by Anita Amirrezvani and if anyone is looking for a good fit for completing Jon's task - this one definitely works."

I just went to the library and got it. That is the only section that I had yet to fill. Thanks!

message 10: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson42353) | 856 comments Finished Cane River by Lalita Tademy - audio version and it was very well done. It is the fictionalized account of Tademy's actual family from 1830s to the 1930s - basically it covers 5 generations of strong-willed and determined women from slavery to emancipation to Jim Crow. No matter what was thrown their way they came through with heads held high and a strength of purpose that their children would have a better life. Well done.

14 books done - 10 more left for the challenge.

message 11: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson42353) | 856 comments Finished Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson. I gave it 3 1/5 stars. It was a good story and well told. Set from WWII era through to the mid 50s, it relates the criticism and prejudice rampant in the US against the Japanese during and following WWII.

message 12: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson42353) | 856 comments Finished The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott by Kelly O. McNees - did the audio of this one and really enjoyed it - 4 stars. It is especially good if you are a Louisa May Alcott fan. It is a fictional account of mostly one summer where she falls in love but chooses her professional life over that of the more traditional lifestyle for women.

message 13: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson42353) | 856 comments I finished The Painted Veil by W. Somerset Maugham - 3 stars. I had chosen that for my HF romance and it should qualify because it was a romance - just one that went sour. Right now I am not going to add this one for that task because I think I will change it to the sequel of The Bronze Horseman, Tatiana and Alexander.

message 14: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (Shandril19) | 20 comments Oooh Linda! I think this is a great idea. The big challenge thread kinda overwhelms me.

message 15: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson42353) | 856 comments Oops - I missed one - The Touch by Colleen McCullough - 4 stars. Really good historical fiction set in Australia from 1870 to 1900.

message 16: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson42353) | 856 comments Finished War and Remembrance by Herman Wouk on 7/31/10. 5 stars.

This is WWII in one book - the battle on the seas in the Pacific, the fight against the German and Italians, the Jewish situation in Europe as word of the atrocities began to leak, diplomacy between DC, Moscow and London in managing the war, other smaller nations as they were embroiled in the conflict. And it all comes from the Henry family (a Naval family) and their loved ones, friends, professional acquaintances and their enemies. Great book.

message 17: by Maude (new)

Maude | 993 comments Linda, I just finished reading the Bronze Horseman and was so teary because I thought Alexander was dead!! I just noticed you said there was a sequel and when I checked, there is!!! Thank you for making my day! I just love them both!

message 18: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson42353) | 856 comments Maude, wasn't that a fabulous book. I will be reading the sequel in mid-August. There is also a third - The Summer Garden.

message 19: by Maude (new)

Maude | 993 comments Linda, Yes, it was. I have always loved to read about Russia and especially the Siege of Leningrad. This book was the best I have read re what those people went through - horrible! Thank you again because I was just a big crybaby this morning and now the sun is out! And a third - hooray!

message 20: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson42353) | 856 comments The October Horse was a great mix of historical fact and fiction. I feel that I now have a better picture of Caesar in his prime, of the plot to kill him and of the beginnings of the career of Octavian.

message 21: by Maude (new)

Maude | 993 comments Linda, I think you have The October Horse on your List instead of over on the Challenge site?? If that is what you meant to do, please excuse my interference.

message 22: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson42353) | 856 comments Right, Maude, I put the points here rather than at the challenge. I usually just put a listing here and not the points.

message 23: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson42353) | 856 comments Finished The World According to Garp for my longest on list task and was not blown away by it.

Now reading Citizen Washington for the political task and am finding it to be great HF. Really enjoying this one so far.

message 24: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson42353) | 856 comments Finished Citizen Washington by William Martin which was for the HF relating to politics. It was a fascinating read for me as I love the Revolutionary and post-Revolutionary periods. Washington, the man emerges complete with imperfections, as does Washington, the great statesman who helped to bind our quite fragmented young nation into these United States. A good one which I gave 4 stars.

message 25: by Evelina A. (new)

Evelina A. (Amerigo) | 221 comments LemonLinda, glad to hear you liked Citizen Washington! I think I remember that you mentioned you have read some of William Martin's other works. Am I wrong? If not, are there any you recommend even if they are not HF?

message 26: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson42353) | 856 comments I have read Cape Cod, Back Bay, Harvard Yard and The Lost Constitution. And I enjoyed every one of them. They were partially set during today and partially set as historical fiction.

message 27: by Risa (new)

Risa Interesting list, Linda! I've also got a couple of McCulloughs down for the next quarterly.:)

message 28: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson42353) | 856 comments I found selections that I would like to read for all of the categories. I don't know that I will be able to entirely complete this one as the fall the fall is fairly busy for me and I am always otherwise occupied during the holidays, but I will get to whatever I can and enjoy that and not worry about getting every task done.

Of course it might change as I am always constantly changing my soon to be read list making room for new and intriguing books.

message 29: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson42353) | 856 comments Changed my Native American task to Follow the River by James Alexander Thom.

message 30: by Luckngrace (new)

Luckngrace | 368 comments Lemonlinda, I think I saw a movie of Follow the River and it was great too.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Abundance (other topics)
The Bronze Horseman (other topics)
Tatiana's Table: Tatiana And Alexander's Life Of Food And Love (other topics)
The Blood of Flowers (other topics)
Cane River (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Sena Jeter Naslund (other topics)
Paullina Simons (other topics)
Anita Amirrezvani (other topics)
Lalita Tademy (other topics)
David Guterson (other topics)