Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Miscellaneous Book Talk > Karin Slaughter in Nashville

Comments (showing 1-46 of 46) (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 7185 comments I was thrilled to get a chance to meet Karin Slaughter tonight at Davis Kidd Booksellers in Nashville. DD and I attended along with about thirty others. I was glad to have the opportunity to listen to Karin discuss her writing, her perspective and enthusiasm for her characters and her books.

In general terms to avoid blatant spoilers she discussed her decision to start a new series a few books back and the merge them together in the last two books. I am eager to start Broken when Will Trent goes to Grant County.

Karin discussed the mail she gets on topics such as her treatment of certain characters, her changing the name of a main Atlanta Boulevard to make it easier for her books to be translated into the 30! languages that they are produced in (wow!)
She gave advice that as you shop your book, you should keep rewriting it, expressing the idea that you could continuously improve and learn from reading a lot of other books too.
Karin is a very down to earth and funny person - it was a treat to get a photo of the two of us too.

message 2: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 2295 comments Ann wrote: "I was thrilled to get a chance to meet Karin Slaughter tonight at Davis Kidd Booksellers in Nashville. DD and I attended along with about thirty others. I was glad to have the opportunity to listen..."

thanks for sharing, ann!
i picked up Broken at the library yesterday. have to read another book first(due back in 10 days- i can keep broken for 3 weeks), but look forward to starting it soon.

message 3: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 2469 comments I've never read Karin Slaughter, but have been meaning to give her a shot. I think I'll see what I can find by her on PBS.

message 4: by Barry (new)

Barry (BarryPz) | 2001 comments Slaughter will be here on Saturday. I'm tending toward going.

message 5: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 2295 comments Barry wrote: "Slaughter will be here on Saturday. I'm tending toward going."

i'm tending on picking you up around 12:45 ish. ok?
not sure if it will be as croweded as lee child was but if we get there early enough we should be able to get a decent table.
i hope carol is tending on coming, too. ;)

message 6: by Ann (last edited Jun 25, 2010 04:49PM) (new)

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 7185 comments How fun! Meeting Karin Slaughter was a lot of fun!
Knowing a bit more about an author's background and what they think about as they write adds to my enjoyment of the books. Broken may have to slide in between some library books very soon. It is calling to me!

Barry wrote: "Slaughter will be here on Saturday. I'm tending toward going."
Sherry wrote: "i'm tending on picking you up around 12:45 ish. ok? .... i hope carol is tending on coming, too. ;) "

message 7: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 4589 comments I'm tending toward letting my arm be twisted, and tending toward letting the one-armed bandits pick my pockets for a few quarters since I happen to be there....

hSherry wrote: "
i hope carol is tending on coming, too. ;) ..."

message 8: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 2295 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I'm tending toward letting my arm be twisted, and tending toward letting the one-armed bandits pick my pockets for a few quarters since I happen to be there....

hSherry wrote: "
i hope carol is t..."

hard enough?

message 9: by Barry (new)

Barry (BarryPz) | 2001 comments I'm looking forward to seeing you both tomorrow.

Mary/Quite Contrary Phillips | 459 comments We're expecting a full report!

message 11: by Barry (new)

Barry (BarryPz) | 2001 comments As threatened, Carol, Sherry and I met at the Mohegan Sun to see Karin Slaughter. T take something she said out of order (though her books MUST always be read in order), her name is really Slaughter.
I thought there were maybe 40 people there when she started talking, a few more dribbling in as the talk went on. She spoke for about an hour, with an intro, a reading, then Q&A. She was younger looking than I expected, with a very youthful voice. She did express that she was glad to be out of the heat of Atlanta and into the "winter" of New England. She did wear a jacket, though it really is warm enough up here.

Her early writing was inspired by being the youngest of 3 sisters, and hating them due to proximity, producing stories in which they die horribly. Writing was natural to her as there is a strong tradition in the South so she grew up with story telling. In particular, her father loved telling the girls stories that scared the pants off them, because it would make the quiet.

Speaking of her writing, she described Lena as having a chip on her shoulder from the type of upbringing she had, and the natural conflict set up with Sara and a quite different upbringing. Lena's upbringing makes her good at making excuses, particularly for her own shortcomings. Lena loves the risk of snap decisions, and if even 50% of them go the right way, considers that victory. Sara, on the other hand, sees Lena as a bad role model. (I just find her annoying)
Slaughter mentioned that there are not really that many murders in small towns, unless she is writing about them, as the reason for the GBI and Will Trent. Loving flawed characters, she gave Will a truly dysfunctional wife who still knows ow to push his buttons.
The title "Broken" came form a Hemmingway passage. She wants to tell how a crime affects a community, and Hemmingway asked who got broken by a crime. (This might mean something when actually read the book)

Sherry asked if we will ever get to read Lena's letter. KS answered that it did not fit in this book, but we will get parts of it going forward. She said to expect "whiny". She pointed out that Lena has come a long way and grown as a character in spite of all the scars inflicted on her in the books.
Sara's reactions on going back to Grant County were modeled on her own trip back to her high school to thank a teacher she liked (and go "nah nah" to the others).
Slaughter mentioned that were she not a writer, she would likely be a schizophrenic.
As for the defining "spoiling" moment a few books back, she said she was not just writing for shock, she wanted the lasting consequences to change the other characters and the town, and to allow Sara to redefine herself. She looks ahead 3 to 5 books, and sees Grant County continuing. She is merging Will Trent in, and may split off Amanda, Will's boss for her own story. The characters are developed in her head much further than we see in the books, so some of it she may tell us, some of it is just how she decides a character will act and react.

A small bit about herself had her telling the story of how her father ensured she knew how to change a flat tire, and how her mother taught her to flirt so she would not have to.
She has gotten tours (like to the morgue) by the GBI to help her learn the craft she describes. What she learns goes in to her books.

message 12: by Ann (new)

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 7185 comments Barry and Carol and Sherry:
Thanks for the report!
I am so glad you got to see Karin too and hope there were no spoilers. Unfortunately for my DD who I had just introduced to the series, she figured out the biggie while at our signing event. I suppose it was inevitable, but I hated it happened.

Barry wrote: "As threatened, Carol, Sherry and I met at the Mohegan Sun to see Karin Slaughter..."

message 13: by Barry (new)

Barry (BarryPz) | 2001 comments The "biggie" was mentioned by one questioner. I would have hoped though that everybody at the reading knew at least that much.
The Caberet at the Mohegan Sun is a great venue for this kind of ting. It will likely fit a couple hundred people in a very well laid out setting. We could have sit close enough to touch Karin, but sat a few feet back for ease of viewing.

message 14: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 2295 comments Barry wrote: "The "biggie" was mentioned by one questioner. I would have hoped though that everybody at the reading knew at least that much.
The Caberet at the Mohegan Sun is a great venue for this kind of ting..."

excellent job of reporting, bar! i am sure carol will add more ( carol and barry both took notes ).
after the reading, i proceeded to lose $30 in the slots, barry broke even and carol won about $20. my husband met us for dinner and we ended up eating at michael jordan's sports bar. it was a little hard to talk because the soccer game was on, the tv was really loud and every time something happened, the whole bar groaned or yelled..lol
a great venue to hear an author speak and a fun afternoon with book buds!

message 15: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 4589 comments Great reporting job, Barry!!

A couple of additional notes:

* Karin is very funny, and she has a southern flair I hadn't noticed when I saw her on B-con panels. She loves the South and loves being a "Georgia Peach."
* Re: Will Trent: There are so many situations in which the woman is in a crappy relationship that she wanted to write a male character who is in a crappy relationship. Will is connected to Angie because they both grew up in an orphanage. KS has noticed that a lot of children are growing up in these group homes, and she wanted to write about this social issue. She talked about Will's dyslexia, how he has fooled everyone except a few people. She says the dyslexia keeps him feeling insecure, and Angie uses it to keep him connected to her.
* Another social issue she writes about is rural poverty, which I gather is a theme in the current book, Broken.
* KS is interested in flawed characters. She had to stop reading some of her favorite authors because the main character never made a mistake or suffered consequences for bad decisions.
* She talked about Will's boss, Amanda Wagner. I take it she is African American? KS thinks she may create a series around her. She (KS) learned recently that as recently as 1962 an African American cop couldn't arrest a white person, and it affected her. She also talked about growing up in Atlanta around the time of the child murders, and even though the victims were all AA children there was a fear that hung over the town and she and others were afraid. Before the murders her parents used to lock the door and tell kids not to come back until dinner time, but after the murders there was little outdoor play.
* Some of her favorite authors: Lee Child, Peter Robinson, Denise Mina. She also mentioned a book called The Gift of Silence by Michelle Morris, which Sherry tells me was a Kindle freebie once.

Barry wrote: "As threatened, Carol, Sherry and I met at the Mohegan Sun to see Karin Slaughter. T take something she said out of order (though her books MUST always be read in order), her name is really Slaugh..."

message 16: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 4589 comments Ann, I stopped after Blindsighted, so I was not aware of the spoiler going into today's event, but like your DD I now have a general idea. Karin asked at the beginning that people not reveal spoilers, and I guess the questioner thought she was being cryptic enough but she was wrong! I was half thinking about picking the series up again after hearing her take on the various characters she writes (this is the really important element of her books, to her) but I now may wait awhile. Just as well, the TBR is tottering as usual.

Ann wrote: "Unfortunately for my DD who I had just introduced to the series, she figured out the biggie while at our signing event. I suppose it was inevitable, but I hated it happened.
..."

message 17: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 2295 comments She talked about Will's boss, Amanda Wagner. I take it she is African American?

that surprised me because from reading the books, i didn't get that impression that she was ,just that she was , as karin put it, a ball buster..lol

as for her asking for no one to reveal spoilers, the woman who asked that question shouldn't have asked it...lol
if that wasn't a spoiler, i don't know what was!

message 18: by Ann (new)

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 7185 comments I am loving reading your comments from the Mohegan Sun signing event! Obviously I should have taken notes at the Nashville signing because you reminded me of some additional things she said here as well. ;)
I liked how she explained how she decided to define her flawed characters; like Will and Angie, using their time spent in youth homes as background to how the experience shaped them as adults and in their relationships to each other and to others.
Her writing about Will's adaption to his dyslexia is quite interesting in that she thinks it makes him a better investigator. I do too.

message 19: by Ann (new)

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 7185 comments Carol and Sherry (and Barry)
It does put a crimp in the kinds of questions you can ask at a signing event when a spoiler from a previous book hangs over the audience.
**Do definitely keep reading when you feel ready Carol, I was spoiled right before reading it myself and I still enjoy all of the books. I am still mad at that random person (not a regular poster) who posted about it on the old MT AOL board when the book was just released.

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Ann, I stopped after Blindsighted, so I was not aware of the spoiler going into today's event, but like your DD I now have a general idea. Karin asked at the beginning that people not reveal spoilers, and I guess the questioner thought she was being cryptic enough but she was wrong!"

message 20: by Ann (new)

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 7185 comments I liked how Karin said that Mark Billingham figured "it" out for the future development when he read Triptych, the first Will Trent book. She was surprised because she said he "wasn't that smart" (and you could tell she was kidding and really likes him)
She suggested we go back and read it and look for clues. I listened to Triptych in 2007 so don't have a clear memory of it.

message 21: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 4589 comments Okay, Ann, I'll take your advice and put the series back on my TBR pile. And I DO remember that spoiler, just like I remember the spoiler about another thriller,
In the Woods by Tana French.

Ann wrote: "**Do definitely keep reading when you feel ready Carol, I was spoiled right before reading it myself and I still enjoy all of the books. I am still mad at that random person (not a regular poster) who posted about it on the old MT AOL board when the book was just released. ..."

message 22: by Ann (new)

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 7185 comments Carol:
Ah yes, that one too. I have to think we all can accidentally reveal a spoiler - but some people are just plain unkind and deliberate about it!

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Okay, Ann, I'll take your advice and put the series back on my TBR pile. And I DO remember that spoiler, just like I remember the spoiler about another thriller, In the Woods"

Mary/Quite Contrary Phillips | 459 comments If anyone could figure it, Billingham could. He is a great writer and very smart guy. I love his Tom Thorne series and am bummed I finished the last one last week. The Slaughter book with "it"...the description said it was about meth\skinheads\racism....so I skipped it. Big, nasty surprise when I read the next one and figured "it" out. That is what cemented my READ IN ORDER tendencies into a firm\fast rule\obsession!

I apologize if I have ever, or if I ever in future accidentally reveal a spoiler...I would never do it intentionally.

(***spoiler alert***)
Back in the 70's someone told me that Darth Vader was Luke Skywalker's (ahem) and I've never gotten over it.

message 24: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 4589 comments That was low. I hope you "unfriended" them immediately.

Mary/Quite Contrary wrote: "(***spoiler alert***)
Back in the 70's someone told me that Darth Vader was Luke Skywalker's (ahem) and I've never gotten over it. ......"

message 25: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 4589 comments When will I learn. I got an email that Broken was for sale on Kindle for $9.99 so I clicked on the link. The summary from Karin Slaughter was fine, but the Publishers Weekly blurb SPELLED OUT THE SPOILER in the very first sentence. Ugh.

Mary, not only do we have to read in order but RIOF! (Read in Order Fast!)

@#$@##$

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Okay, Ann, I'll take your advice and put the series back on my TBR pile..."

message 26: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 610 comments I just finished Broken. Loved it. Won't say anymore except that I'm definitely looking forward to her next one.

message 27: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 610 comments Ann wrote: "I liked how Karin said that Mark Billingham figured "it" out for the future development when he read Triptych, the first Will Trent book. She was surprised because she..."

Ann, do you mean that there are clues in Triptych that forecast what happens in the Grant County series? Grrr...I have too many in my TBR pile, but I'd love to go back and reread and see if I could figure it out.

message 28: by Ann (new)

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 7185 comments Dawn:
That was what Karin intimated in the signing event Q&A - of course due to spoilers we were talking rather cryptically, so I don't know the degree of the clue(s) - she just mentioned that Mark Billingham "figured it out" and asked her about it and she said she knew she was moving in that direction as she wrote Triptych. I wouldn't mind reading it over again too to see if I could "see" the clue(s) now. ;) whew! non- spoiler talk is tough!

Dawn wrote: "Ann, do you mean that there are clues in Triptych that forecast what happens in the Grant County series? Grrr...I have too many in my TBR pile, but I'd love to go back and reread and see if I could figure it out. ."

message 29: by Ann (new)

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 7185 comments Carol:
You have my sympathies - and I agree, you have to be quick to completely avoid the possibilities of spoilers! ;)

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "When will I learn. I got an email that Broken was for sale on Kindle for $9.99 so I clicked on the link. The summary from Karin Slaughter was fine, but the Publishers Weekly blurb SPELLED OUT THE SPOILER in the first sentence... not only do we have to read in order but RIOF! (Read in Order Fast!)"

Mary/Quite Contrary Phillips | 459 comments Ann...that is so funny! I like to read the new ones quickly for this very reason! Now, Janet Evanovich, I can wait a couple weeks for that. But Broken...I'm reading as quick as I can! I wish I could go back and at least skim Triptych, but I don't own it...I read it pre-Kindle.

message 31: by KimWin (new)

KimWin Ann wrote: "I was thrilled to get a chance to meet Karin Slaughter tonight at Davis Kidd Booksellers in Nashville. DD and I attended along with about thirty others. I was glad to have the opportunity to listen..."

I just finished Broken! She did an incredible job combining the two series. I just loved it!

message 32: by Ann (new)

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 7185 comments Mary QC:
I don't have a copy of Triptych either, I originally listened to the audio version from the library. The Kindle edition is $6.29. I have started to notice a few titles at that price. Nice!

Mary/Quite Contrary wrote: " I wish I could go back and at least skim Triptych, but I don't own it...I read it pre-Kindle."

Mary/Quite Contrary Phillips | 459 comments Agreed...it's a great price. I have purchased many kindle titles at that approx amount. When I find an author I like I'll go back and purchase their backlist if that is the sort of pricing they have. I'm afraid the publishers are going to start "re-pricing" backlists up to the new normal $12.99. That's why I made a decision to stock up a few months ago. of course, having stocked up, I still want to get new books. I'm a book s1ut...can't help myself.

message 34: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 610 comments Mary/Quite Contrary wrote: "I'm a book s1ut...can't help myself..."

LOL!!! Love it

message 35: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 2549 comments I read the first book and never continued and don't know why. I have Triptych and have to look back though the book listing to see which other ones I have. That way maybe if I call the UBS lady to have her bring me the missing books if she's going to the flea market on sunday I'll have them all. I know I have other's but not sure which ones.

message 36: by Ann (new)

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 7185 comments Mary QC
I also have been much more likely to go ahead and buy Kindle titles that retails around the $5 to $7 dollar range. I am happy to be able to get back list access to some books that are no longer or were never in circulation at the library.

Mary/Quite Contrary wrote: "Agreed...it's a great price. I have purchased many kindle titles at that approx amount. When I find an author I like I'll go back and purchase their backlist if that is the sort of pricing they have..."

message 37: by Ann (new)

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 7185 comments DonnaJo:
Good luck getting the rest of the Karin Slaughter books. I just got her Martin Misunderstood from audible.com and loaded it to my phone.
Donnajo wrote: "I read the first book and never continued and don't know why. I have Triptych and have to look back though the book listing to see which other ones I have. That way maybe if I call the UBS lady .."

Mary/Quite Contrary Phillips | 459 comments DonnaJo...I sent you an email on facebook with the book list for Karin Slaughter, but I will post it here for anyone else interested:

Don't read them out of order...seriously.

2001 BLINDSIGHTED - Sara Linton-Grant Co
2002 KISSCUT - Sara Linton-Grant Co
2003 FAINT COLD FEAR - Sara Linton-Grant Co
2004 INDELIBLE - Sara Linton-Grant Co
2005 FAITHLESS - Sara Linton-Grant Co
2006 TRIPTYCH - Will Trent-Atlanta

2007 BEYOND REACH - Sara Linton-Grant Co
!!!!!MAJOR series spoiler....DO NOT read out of order or read descriptions of THIS book or any book that follows. These descriptions on Amazon will give away the series spoiler.

2008 FRACTURED - Will Trent-Atlanta
2009 UNDONE - Sara Linton-Will Trent-Atlanta
2010 BROKEN - Sara Linton-Will Trent-Grant Co

message 39: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 2549 comments Ann, I have Blindsighted on the bookcase at the shore I saw it before but I read that already so must have given it to my sister. And I have kisscut (bought it at the library sale down here but it's home it's hc) I have triptych and I might have 1 or 2 of the other's. Will have to check. But at least I know I have the second one when I want it.

message 40: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 2549 comments mary, Thanks I kept it in my saved file so I have it when I'm ready to check which ones I have. Won't be able to get the missing ones from the ubs lady this weekend if I call her up but there is flea markets every month so will get it next time.

Mary/Quite Contrary Phillips | 459 comments Funny story about Slaughter's BROKEN. See earlier post where Ann reported the Slaughter said Mark Billingham figured out the spoiler by reading Tryptych...

In BROKEN Sara & Will go to the local mortuary to do an autopsy, but had to wait until a service finished. The name of the deceased having the service? BILLINGHAM

message 42: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 610 comments Mary/Quite Contrary wrote: "Funny story about Slaughter's BROKEN. See earlier post where Ann reported the Slaughter said Mark Billingham figured out the spoiler by reading Tryptych...

In BROKEN Sara & Will go to the local..."

Oh Mary, you're good! LOL...

Mary/Quite Contrary Phillips | 459 comments Dawn...I love when authors do that. I spotted a friend's name in a Robert Crais book. Emailed my friend, did you know RC used your name for a character, never imagining it was really him? He replied that yes, he was a good friend and Crais had used his name as a thank you for years of support!

message 44: by Ann (new)

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 7185 comments Mary QC:
I also love when authors give a call out for favorite books and music by having their characters reading or listening. It adds a fun and more personal touch IMHO, as if the author is talking to you to make a recommendation.

Mary/Quite Contrary wrote: "Dawn...I love when authors do that. I spotted a friend's name in a Robert Crais book. Emailed my friend, did you know RC used your name for a character, never imagining it was really him?..."

message 45: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 610 comments Ann wrote: "Mary QC:
I also love when authors give a call out for favorite books and music by having their characters reading or listening. It adds a fun and more personal touch IMHO, as if the author is talki..."

Oh boy, and here's my bad memory...who was it that pulled up next to each other...Elvis Cole and Harry Bosch?

message 46: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 2295 comments Oh boy, and here's my bad memory...who was it that pulled up next to each other...Elvis Cole and Harry Bosch?

sure was! they are neighbors..;)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Broken (other topics)
Triptych (other topics)
In the Woods (other topics)
Martin Misunderstood (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Mark Billingham (other topics)
Tana French (other topics)