The Sword and Laser discussion

World War Z > Realpolitik and the Zombie Menace

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sean O'Hara (SeanOHara) | 1573 comments Daniel Drezner has a long essay in Foreign Policy magazine on the political implications of a zombie uprising.

How would the introduction of flesh-eating ghouls affect world politics? The realist answer is simple if surprising: International relations would be largely unaffected. Although some would see in a zombie invasion a new existential threat to the human condition, realists would be unimpressed by the claim that the zombies' arrival would lead to any radical change in human behavior. To them, a plague of the undead would merely echo older plagues, from the Black Death of the 14th century to the 1918 influenza pandemic. To paraphrase Thucydides, the realpolitik of zombies is that the strong will do what they can and the weak must suffer devouring by reanimated, ravenous corpses.

Apparently this is a condensed version of a book he's writing, Theories of International Politics and Zombies.

Micah (onemorebaker) | 990 comments we'll that's a little depressing. Imagine the UN debating whether this was an actual global threat or localized. How boring....

A Zombie uprising should be an exciting time! One of mystery and fear. Never knowing if you are going to be alive the next day. It should not be viewed the same as the swine flu...

Brad Davis (thecolorblue) | 3 comments I have always thought people need to think outside of the box more. A plague of zombies should be a perfect time to do that. Re-imagining household items is harder than it looks sometimes, but it really works out your brain muscles.
This is off topic, but has anyone played Human vs. Zombies? My friend has gone a couple times now, and i have yet to join him. It looks like a lot of fun, like an advanced game of freeze tag.

Matty Van (MattyVan) | 55 comments hmm I wonder if in africa they would stick with there whole... "if I have sex with a virgin I cant get it thing"

Fresno Bob | 167 comments Sean wrote: "Daniel Drezner has a long essay in Foreign Policy magazine on the political implications of a zombie uprising.

How would the introduction of flesh-eating ghouls affect world politics? The realis..."

I recently read
Theories of International Politics and Zombies, I enjoyed World War Z much more

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Theories of International Politics and Zombies (other topics)