Romantic Historical Fiction Lovers discussion

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE HISTORICAL SETTING?

Comments (showing 51-100 of 107) (107 new)    post a comment »

message 51: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

Gaile (Kittygladu) | 251 comments Mod
About The Clan Of The Cave Bear. I enjoyed that series very much although science has since proved Neantherdal man was not Homo Sapiens. Their DNA doesn't match our's, not even close. We couldn't have mated with them as they were a different species. Nobody is really sure when our species appeared but the appearance of our species meant the disappearance of their's!

message 52: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

About The Clan Of The Cave Bear. I enjoyed the series but the author has been proven by science to be wrong.
Our DNA does not match that of Neanderthal Man. They were a different species and we could not even have mated with them. Just when our species is not known but the appearance of our species meant the disappearance of them!
Perhaps those who do not like a detailed complicated plot might like a simpler uncluttered plot such as The Queen's Pawn by Christie English.

message 53: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

Actually I like the idea of discussing books that have already been read.As we are all individuals, we will all
have different opinions about the same book. I suggest three titles be forwarded to be voted on. The winner will be the book to read and be discussed. Then we will try another title. too bad we can't serve cake and tea as well!The problem is which three titles should be offered. The Three books mentioned most on this site should be a good start. A new thread could call it " The Great Historical Fiction Debate." Right now you have The Ruby Ring, A novel, The Sidewalk Artist and and I, Mona Lisa listed as the books most mentioned here Why not enter these three into the first vote?
Could you see to it. Emery??????? Just a suggestion.

message 54: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

Everything I write is appearing on my Facebook page when I was only trying to get a Good Reads Tab to appear at the top of my home page. Frustrated. Frustrated. Frustrated!!!!! HELP!!!!

message 55: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Emery Lee (AuthorEmeryLee) | 900 comments Mod
I am sorry I can't help with that one! Facebook became too annoying with all of the games, etc.. I still have a page , but am not very active there.

message 56: by Christy (new)

Christy English (Christy_English) | 67 comments I was fascinated by The Clan of the Cave Bear...too bad the science is wrong. But Neanderthals are really interesting. I only read the first from that series, but what a great story...

message 57: by Christy (new)

Christy English (Christy_English) | 67 comments Gaile wrote: "About The Clan Of The Cave Bear. I enjoyed the series but the author has been proven by science to be wrong.
Our DNA does not match that of Neanderthal Man. They were a different species and we cou..."

I would be thrilled and honored to have discuss The Queen's Pawn here Gaile...thank you!

message 58: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) Gaile wrote: "Everything I write is appearing on my Facebook page when I was only trying to get a Good Reads Tab to appear at the top of my home page. Frustrated. Frustrated. Frustrated!!!!! HELP!!!!"

You can try checking your settings on here by going to the "my account" page here on GR. If that doesn't work you can try posting your message in the Feedback Group for more help- http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1...

message 59: by Megan (new)

Megan O'Connor (obviouslyitslol) | 1 comments My favorite are ancient Greek, Rome, and Egyptian romances. A little of the present in it is ok too.

message 60: by Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (last edited Jul 06, 2010 05:40AM) (new)

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (ThePirateWench) | 133 comments Hi megan..Have you checked out authorsMargaret GeorgeThe Memoirs of Cleopatra.or Suzanne Frankshe wrote a series about a woman who goes back in time to egypt & learns to adjust to the times & finds love. this was SO good.alsoHousehold Godsby Judith Tarrthis has the same theme but in rome..LOVED this one!

message 61: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Sandi wrote: "Hi megan..Have you checked out authorsMargaret GeorgeThe Memoirs of Cleopatra.or Suzanne Frankshe wrote a series about a woman who goes back in time to e..."

Hey Sandi-
Do these titles meet are criteria for the book shelf? If so, do you wish me to add them?

message 62: by Christy (new)

Christy English (Christy_English) | 67 comments The Margaret George novel about Cleopatra definitely does...what a great book!

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (ThePirateWench) | 133 comments hi Emery big yes to margaret george's book!I would re-read again for sure! and suzanne franks books also..these were so good how a person had to accept & adapt to a totally different time 1st bookReflections in the Nile2nd bookShadows on the Aegean3rd bookSunrise on the Mediterranean4th book is twilight in babylon..couldnt find the link on this one...

message 64: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Sandi wrote: "hi Emery big yes to margaret george's book!I would re-read again for sure! and suzanne franks books also..these were so good how a person had to accept & adapt to a totally different time 1st book[..."

Thanks so much! I'll put them on our shelf.

message 65: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Sandi wrote: "hi Emery big yes to margaret george's book!I would re-read again for sure! and suzanne franks books also..these were so good how a person had to accept & adapt to a totally different time 1st book[..."

Hey Sandi-
I'm ok with adding time travel to our list, but when
I looked at Shadows on the Aegean and Sunrise on the Mediterranean, they appear to also contain a good bit of fantasy due to the mythical elements as well as the time travel. I am not sure if these are a good fit for us. Do you disagree? Has anyone else in the group read these? What is the general consensus about adding them?

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (ThePirateWench) | 133 comments umm.well I would have to say it has it all...chole in the book is a egypt lover..and her concept totally changes as she goes back in time..to what it was really like...so I would say it leans more to the other side..then "fiction" but for those who like egypt themes, history, romance, then it would interest them...I just thought megan would be interested. romantic hist fiction with egypt themes are hard to find..anybody have suggestions?so what about Wilbur Smith& his seriesRiver God: A Novel of Ancient EgyptWarlock: A Novel of Ancient EgyptThe Seventh Scroll& the 4th book the quest( couldnt find link)these are historical /romance..havent read..anybody read these?

message 67: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Sandi wrote: "umm.well I would have to say it has it all...chole in the book is a egypt lover..and her concept totally changes as she goes back in time..to what it was really like...so I would say it leans more ..."

Thanks Sandi-
Based on your feedback, I think I'll create a special "Egypt" shelf for these rather than grouping under the more general ancient eras.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (ThePirateWench) | 133 comments WOW that would be great Emery! hopefully others who like to read Historical/fiction/ romance/with Egypt will have some recommeds for this shelf..thank you :)

message 69: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) That's great! I would love shelf with recommendations. Ever since reading Michelle Moran's books on Egypt I wanted more, but I can't seem to find anything that doesn't weigh a ton.

message 70: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Sandi wrote: "umm.well I would have to say it has it all...chole in the book is a egypt lover..and her concept totally changes as she goes back in time..to what it was really like...so I would say it leans more ..."

Hi Sandi-
I added River God, as the description mentioned "love". Do Wilbut Smith's the next two Egyptian novels also include a strong romantic element?

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (ThePirateWench) | 133 comments Emery..a friend of mine gave me this series and she said they all do..she loved them.

message 72: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Sandi wrote: "Emery..a friend of mine gave me this series and she said they all do..she loved them."

Excellent! They are on the shelf!

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (ThePirateWench) | 133 comments Here are some others I bought but havent read yet..Angela Elwell Huntseries Dreamersbrothers & journey.(.couldnt find the link) andThe Empire of Darkness: A Novel of Ancient EgyptThe Flaming Sword: A Novel of Ancient Egypt[book:The War of the Crowns|73943 I bought because of the egypt setting..

message 74: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Looks like you are our resident Egyptologist Sandi!

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (ThePirateWench) | 133 comments OHHH.I have 2 more for youKleopatraand the sequelPharaohby Karen Essex I love this authors style.

message 76: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

On page 174 of The Highest Stakes. From page 55 on, I began to read with greater interest. I hated to put the book down last night but my yawns were catching up with me. The POVs still go back and forth but I'm getting used to it now.

message 77: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

There is Mistress Of Rome by Kate Quinn. Also one about Pontius Pilot but I have forgotten the title. I have to dig out the list of books i have read. I remember reading a novel set in the time of Catherine The Great but it was so long ago, I have completely forgotten both the writer and the title. Bertrice Small writes many titles set in the Ottoman Empire. Try looking up her titles.
Taylor Caldwell also wrote several novels set in both Rome and The Ottoman empire. Whether they could be called romances or not, I don't know. The Earth Is the Lord's by Taylor Caldwell is one title worth looking into.

message 78: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Gaile wrote: "There is Mistress Of Rome by Kate Quinn. Also one about Pontius Pilot but I have forgotten the title. I have to dig out the list of books i have read. I remember reading a novel set in the time of ..."

Hi Gaile-
I though about Mistress of Rome but when I read the reviews that spoke of graphic violence, I wasn't sure if it qualified as a "romantic" novel. Have you read it? I will check out your other suggestions. Thank you!

message 79: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

No, I haven't read it. However I found a great many titles under Pontius Pilate but don't know which are good. There is another novel about the Roman empire I read that was good but I don't remember the title or the author and I didn't write it down.
Frank G. Slaughter wrote many books taking place in Roman times but they are mostly out of print now.He was a really popular writer in his time and I liked his books.I can still Thomas B. Costain's books in the library but not Slaughter. Thomas B. Costain wrote one on Gengkis Khan. The Darkness And The Dawn is the title, I think. You remind me of when I was in school, everyone was always asking me, who wrote what?????!!!!!!

message 80: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Lofty (CarrieLofty) If anyone is seeking a source for historical romances so an unusual times and places, please check out UNUSUAL HISTORICALS, the multi-author blog I found it in 2006. We have weekly giveaways from guest authors, and our contributors have historical romances set in Mongolia, Madagascar, Spain, New Zealand, Greece, Austria, Italy, and the Caribbean, from ancient times on into World War II. It can be rather difficult to find titles such as these, which is why I felt the need to gather us all in one place! I do hope you'll stop by.

http://unusualhistoricals.blogspot.com

All the best,
Carrie Lofty

www.carrielofty.com

message 81: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Carrie wrote: "If anyone is seeking a source for historical romances so an unusual times and places, please check out UNUSUAL HISTORICALS, the multi-author blog I found it in 2006. We have weekly giveaways from g..."

Hey Carrie-
That's fabulous. Please feel free to share any new releases and reviews that you think are a fit for us. Romances must center around a biographical character and/or true historical event.
Thanks!

message 82: by Karla (new)

Karla I love reading about the Plague! Disasters like that in the middle of a story are my catnip. The plague segment in Forever Amber was the best part of the book IMO, though the whole thing was pretty spectacular.

My favorite period to read about is 19th century New York, Gilded Age, preferably with a theatrical setting or at least part of the story. Yeah, it's pretty specific. LOL

message 83: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Hey Karla-
I am hearing a good bit about the YA Luxe series by Anna Godberson. Have you read these? Do you recommend them or any other from that era for our reading list? The Luxe (Luxe, #1) by Anna Godbersen

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (ThePirateWench) | 133 comments Emery..I have just finished The Luxe
and I LOVED it! I did a review for it. Im now reading Rumorsbook 2 and so far its just as good...I highly recommend this for YA bookshelf! its been so good I take the book every where..just to catch a chapter! romance! mystery! betrayals!....its a time I havent ever read about before and its amazing to read how it was then and how these young ladies coped.

message 85: by Karla (new)

Karla No, I haven't read them. Heard good and bad about them, and my track record with making it through YA lit is iffy at best.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (ThePirateWench) | 133 comments I thought the same Karla...someone said give it a try..I thought it would be nothing but catty girls but its not...well..there is some back- stabing...no bodice ripping tho..but ya know the ladies are doing it!:)

message 87: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 123 comments Emery wrote: "Hey Karla-
I am hearing a good bit about the YA Luxe series by Anna Godberson. Have you read these? Do you recommend them or any other from that era for our reading list?The Luxe (Luxe, #1) by Anna Godbersen"

I read Rumors and was fairly underwhelmed. Yes they are love stories (kind of), but the historical setting is pretty fake-ish IMHO. Perhaps I'm forever jaded by Wharton. Who knows, but I had issues with the ease with which these well-bred ladies could jump from bed to bed, let alone the bear rug scene.

Michele felt the same way, http://readersrespite.blogspot.com/20...

message 88: by Karla (new)

Karla Thanks for that link. Hadn't heard about the book about Evelyn Nesbit and I love reading about that trial and wacky "Harry K. Thaw of Pittsburgh" (as he liked to introduce himself).

message 89: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) I have to agree with Misfit's comments on The Luxe series. I thought they were good, but the historical part is lacking and prettty fake-ish for it to count for RHF.

message 90: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (last edited Jul 21, 2010 09:51AM) (new)

Sandi wrote: "Emery..I have just finished The Luxe
and I LOVED it! I did a review for it. Im now reading Rumorsbook 2 and so far its just as good...I highly recommend this for YA b..."

Karla wrote: "No, I haven't read them. Heard good and bad about them, and my track record with making it through YA lit is iffy at best."

Thanks Sandi!
I did create a YA shelf and will add this based on your review. Please let us know what you think of the rest of the series.
ADDENDUM!!! Well, I spoke too soon! Based on the additional comments and sexuality of these books, I am hesitant to add these to the YA. I think I'll meditate on it for a bit.

message 91: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Sandi wrote: "Emery..I have just finished The Luxe
and I LOVED it! I did a review for it. Im now reading Rumorsbook 2 and so far its just as good...I highly recommend this for YA b..."

Hi Sandi-
Would you be willing to post your review for us? I tried to view it under your name but your profile is set to private. You could also send me a friend request if you wish to give me access to your reviews. Thanks!

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (ThePirateWench) | 133 comments I do agree with Misfit on the lack of "historical" but I havent read much on this time period so I dont know whats fake or not..so Im enjoying anyways!
I havent gotten to any bear -rug scene yet..and I heard Wharton was the book to read!? so..I guess its what your in the mood for..I can read a BR one time a YA another...some with lots of "goings on" or not..but I do like the history to be pretty dead on..but this time period I guess I need to read more on any recommends ladies?

message 93: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 123 comments Sandi wrote: "I do agree with Misfit on the lack of "historical" but I havent read much on this time period so I dont know whats fake or not..so Im enjoying anyways!
I havent gotten to any bear -rug scene yet...."

That's the problem, except for those long forgotten romances or Wharton there really isn't much.

Wharton, The House of Mirth and The Age of Innocence for starters. Kathleen Winsor (author of Forever Amber) has Wanderers Eastward, Wanderers West, although only 50% of the book is set in New York.

Edith Layton wrote one with a theatre oriented theme, although the name escapes me. If Karla doesn't come to the rescue I'll look it up when I get home. Not bad.

A trilogy from Patricia Gallagher starting with Castles in the Air is good, most of it set in New York, post civil war.

message 94: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Misfit wrote: "Sandi wrote: "I do agree with Misfit on the lack of "historical" but I havent read much on this time period so I dont know whats fake or not..so Im enjoying anyways!
I havent gotten to any bear -..."

Hi Ladies-
I read The Age of Innocence last year and was very disappointed. I had anticipated this great passionate love story but it was so understated that I personally found it a snoozer. The novel is really much more about social undercurrents and the hypocracy of the times than romance - or (more likely)Victorian subtleties are completely lost on me!

message 95: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

I just perused our list and have a possible suggestion- Have you both read this one yet?The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly.

message 96: by Karla (new)

Karla The Layton book is The Gilded Cage. :) She also wrote another theater-themed book, though it takes place in the west part of the time, and NYC the rest: The Silvery Moon.

message 97: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 123 comments Emery wrote: "I just perused our list and have a possible suggestion- Have you both read this one yet?The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly."

*smacks face*

Yes, it is excellent. Karla, I knew you'd save my bacon.

message 98: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 123 comments I liked Age of Innocence, but it isn't my favorite. House of Mirth, although watch out for the ending. No HEA there.

message 99: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Misfit wrote: "I liked Age of Innocence, but it isn't my favorite. House of Mirth, although watch out for the ending. No HEA there."

I just couldn't respect the characters in Age of Innocence - too wishy washy for me. I prefer those who act (even brashly)and regret their actions later, over those who think so much that they never act and regret their entire lives!
BTW I didn't care for Madame Bovary either.

message 100: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) I've tried watching the movie- Age of Innocence twice and each time I ended up falling asleep. That just put me off from reading the book. lol.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Ruby Ring (other topics)
The Sidewalk Artist (other topics)
I, Mona Lisa (other topics)
Signora Da Vinci (other topics)
The Scarlet Lion (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Sarah Dunant (other topics)
Various (other topics)
Joan Wolf (other topics)