The book becomes great when you
realize just how much AShoke loves his
son and when he finally tells him
the true story of how he got the name
Gogol.
Gogol's slow maturity and appreciation for his parent and for
his heritage is at the heart of the
novel.

nadia i think the movie was actually better done than the book-bringing ashima's story more into focus for the audience. i agree that ashoke and ashima's story is beautiful, and that over all it was a great story. i am just not so impressed with the author overall... i want more from her, and will continue to wait.

message 3: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie Frazier I agree that the author is impressive. I loved Intrepreter of Maladies. It is one of the most impressive novels written. I had a difficult time getting into The Namesake. I agree that the characters were well written, but the plot was slow. I loved the insight into a different culture than my own.

Mariah Moody I really enjoyed the writing in the book. Her style flows very well and her attention to detail makes you feel like you are there. Overall, I felt sad after I read the book. I don't feel like any of the characters ever really felt comfortable in their lives and I think it made each character kind of melancholy.

message 5: by Cathy (new)

Cathy I just finished this book and really liked it. While the plot did sometimes seem slow I seemed to find it soothing. I also liked being exposed to another culture in this fashion. Gained some insights into the clash children assimlated into American culture It was sort of sad to see the children drift away from their Indian heritage as teens. But, then Gogol's gradual appreciation of all that his parents had done for him and for his sister.

message 6: by Jen (last edited Apr 24, 2008 03:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen The Namesake is a beautifully written book. Some have said that the flow of the book is sometimes slow, but this is because (in my opinion) Jhumpa tries to emulate the way real life feels sometimes. Moments of reflection simply need more pages :-)

While reading this book, and even more so after it was completed, I wished that Gogol and his family were real. In my mind they were real, because their characters had been painted so well by the author. I enjoyed watching Gogol grow, in both mind and spirit, and seeing his experiences slowly molded him into the man he ended up being at the end of the book.

Lovely.

message 7: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat White I agree. I feel that Lahiri really brings all of her characters to life, to the point where you don't really want the book to end. Or you want to somehow walk down the street and meet Gogol or Ashima. I really like all of Lahiri's work. Her latest collection of short stories, Unaccustomed Earth, is beautiful. The characters have depth and each story is unique. I hope she writes another novel soon.

message 8: by Mathis (last edited Oct 16, 2011 01:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mathis It's been a while since I've read this book. But I remember loving the story, the characters and the way she written it. Beautiful work. Still haven't seen the movie as of yet.

Joanne I like the book very much, her short stories too.

Prionka Ray I felt like I know the characters well, as if they are my close friends or relatives. Lahiri really knows how to connect with her readers and yet it's a story with a simple and straightforward writing style.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Namesake (other topics)