Sundays at Tiffany's Sundays at Tiffany's discussion

Jane and Michael

Comments (showing 1-36 of 36) (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Shannon Ok, I have been reading this book, and I guess I am a little confused as to why Michael would show up out of no where and just see Jane as an adult. Was he an adult when he was her "imaginary" friend?? Did he grow up as she grew up? If anyone would like to help me out please do! Thanks. Other than I am having a blast reading it. I love the complexity of her character.

message 2: by Nadine (new)

Nadine I've read this book. it is one of those "don't think, just either enjoy or throw it away" books. Don't try to analize or make it "important". Read it for what it is.......a modern day fairy tale.

Stacy Santa Croce Michael is a 30 yr old male during the entire book. Never ages, never gets sick, isnt really real yet people can see him. He's kind of her guardian angel but weird cause people can see him so that he's with her as Jane is older. When she was 8, people couldnt see him. Kind of confusing but i thought it was a great story.

Shannon Ok, I finished the book a couple of weeks ago. Once I got beyond trying to figure the book out, I just went with the story line and it was an awesome book! I liked it. A little different from what James Patterson writes, but it was good. I was pleased with it!

Sierra I read this book about 3 months ago and every now and then i get the urge to reread it. It really is just a modern day fairy tale. If you try to figure out the deep meaning behind it you'll miss that whole point. When you read it for what it is, you'll discover a really good book.

Aubrey I agree with Nadine. It's one of those books that you just enjoy the magic, and try not to overanalyze it. It's a sweet story with a romantic ending, however unrealistic. The characters drew me in immediately, and I enjoyed the unexpected twists.

Shannon I read it and when I was done with it, I absolutely loved it. I just stopped thinking too hard about it, and just enjoyed it! I can't wait for the his next book to come out!

message 8: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Shannon: You should also read "The Guernsuy Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. A good read that makes you forget it's fiction. A bit heavier in content than "Sundays at Tiffany's" but excellent. Nadine

Jessica Michael was always an adult, and because of the nature of his job as an imaginary friend, he doesn't age. Also, he can decide whether or not to be invisible or not, and so usually he is invisible when he is Jane's imaginary friend. Then, when he meets her again as an adult, he is on a break, and is so is living a pretty normal human life, and so lets most people see him. Then of course his love for Jane or whatever turns him permanently human.

Tabby Ashley Nikkole Boyce I read this book, my goodness, it was amazing.
Im doing my AP english review over it. And it has that happy-ending finish.

message 11: by Tara (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tara I just finished it myself. I liked the Jane story line but I really could have used more detail about Michael. In the reading club guide it said that he chose mortality to be with Jane. Isn't that the kind of decision that would make a good few chapters? It felt like the authors were just being lazy by not giving us the details about what Michael is. If you're going to make up a story, go all the way!

message 12: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Tara wrote: "I just finished it myself. I liked the Jane story line but I really could have used more detail about Michael. In the reading club guide it said that he chose mortality to be with Jane. Isn't that ..."

message 13: by Nadine (new)

Nadine In weak defense of the author: it was Jane's story. I really don't care all that much for this aurthor; I got the book as a "freebie". It's a fun read and quick....not my usual "cup of tea". Try the "Gurnsey Leterary and Potato Peel Society" by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. It is excellent; reads like non-fiction (but isn't)and informs and uplifts. Enjoy.

Mandy I really enjoyed this book. I thought it was magical and light-hearted, which is what I was looking for. Although it definitely could have ben a little longer to more fully develop Michael, i think part of its charm is how much is left up to the reader's imagination. This is just a fun and feel good read.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I really liked this book too. You couldn't get your head wrapped up too much with the semantics of it; so that if you just read it as a light, refreshing fairy tale kind of book, you will do much better with it. Trying to figure out all the what happened? why is Michael this and that? How did he just HAPPEN to be where she was at that particular point in time...just chalk it up to serendipity and there you have it.

Bookgirl89 i got really CREEPED out reading this book. why would a child have a hot guy in his 30s as her imaginary best friend. and just when you think there is no way they are going to go THERE....they DO. Michael watching her as a little girl and then sleeping with her when she is an adult :O EWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!
i had to stop a 1000 times and yell out "WHAT THE F*CK" there was nothing sweet or romantic about this book.
THE ICK FACTOR WAS ALL OVER THIS IT, SO MUCH WRONG WITH IT, EWWWWWWW IT MADE MY SKIN CRAWL.

sry for those of you who liked it but i couldn't stomach the idea.

Sally Wolf Shannon wrote: "Ok, I have been reading this book, and I guess I am a little confused as to why Michael would show up out of no where and just see Jane as an adult. Was he an adult when he was her "imaginary" frie..."
He loved her and she loved him and unlike every other child she never forgot him therefor he was able to see her as an adult. The power of an un-dieing love broke the rules.

Sally Wolf Bookgirl89 wrote: "i got really CREEPED out reading this book. why would a child have a hot guy in his 30s as her imaginary best friend. and just when you think there is no way they are going to go THERE....they DO. ..."
I do have to agree with you on this one that is the only thing that rubbed me wrong in this book also

Bridget I read this book all the way through and it was forgetable and hard to read and capture the essence of it. I only finished reading it because I bought it.

Normandy I loved this book and the movie. Alyssa Milano was adorable as Jane and the actor who played Michael was so sweet and sexy. I recommend both.

Diane I read this book and then listen to it on audio and I LOVED this book/story! I do not want to watch the movie because I enjoyed 'seeing' the characters in my mind as I read/listened. It is for readers who enjoy a bit of the magical, adult readers who miss the freedom of having their childhood imaginary friends, for readers who want to feel an emotional connection with, "What If?" Delightful!

Bridget OK, I finally saw the lifetime version of this movie with allisa malano (wrong spelling forgive me). The movie was way better than the book. I just couldn't get into the book, but there are different books for different people.

Marchell I love this book Micheal stayed the same age till fell in love with her! and started to turn - normal haha amazing story

Yuliya Bridget wrote: "OK, I finally saw the lifetime version of this movie with allisa malano (wrong spelling forgive me). The movie was way better than the book. I just couldn't get into the book, but there are diffe..."

Bridget and N, what is the name of the movie? I read book and I liked very much, it was so fluent for reading, easy and emotional. I like the crime stories by this author, but this was something unexpected different. I so want to see a movie too!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Hmmm... it was o.k

Brenda Haven Are they coming out with a new movie based "loosely" on this book? I thought I saw a trailer for it at the theatre.

Tammy I haven't read the book but I did see the movie and loved it!

Sarah I completely agree, for me it held the message of how love transcends. Loved it although not my usual book.

Aileen I don't understand how some people can read this book and get "icky"?? really? yes, the book is about a 8-year-old Jane and her adult imaginary friend, Michael. Jane has a controlling mother and Michael shares time with Jane while she waits for her mother because Jane needs a lot of attention and support. I'm sorry I don't see the "ickyness" there, at least that's what I got out of it.

message 30: by Lexi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lexi There was no "icky" part in this story. He loved her as a nanny loves their charge when Jane was a child. When he met with her as an adult, it's like him meeting up with a childhood friend, as they had shared her childhood. He knew who she truly was and accepted and loved her for just being herself as an adult. The love that came later was a different love, a romantic love. It would be gross if there was romantic love from the beginning, but that's not what happened. This is a precious, lovely story. I am enamored with it!

Aileen Here, here Lexi!!! Beautifully put. I got the exact same thing from the story.. it was a very beautiful and lovely story.

message 32: by Lexi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lexi I'm glad that somebody else likes this novel, too!

message 33: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess What a great story! So, I took it as he kept talking about the breaks between assignments where he's allowed to be an adult. I think that's how it all started. But in the end she asks him the questions about will he stay or go, will he get old, etc... And he tells her that he prayed to be able to come back and be with her, and that was granted. He thought he was there because "he wanted to be". Ah, such a sweet romance! Loved it!

Timothy Glass Great story.

Tammy It was a great book. If you liked this one read Sams Letters to Jennifer.....

message 36: by Star (new) - rated it 1 star

Star Forbis I didn't like this Book or the Movie! It creeped me out! I like James Patterson & have read many of his books, this one just didn't do it for me!

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Sundays at Tiffany's (other topics)