Ilona Andrews Fans discussion

Comments (showing 1-38 of 38) (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Bry (utqtbry) | 105 comments Mod
Kate - Merc, Partial Knight of the Order, general baddass...what do you think?

new_user Is hilarious and humble. <3

OMG her one liners are FANTASTIC!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) | 137 comments Mod
I love Kate. She is one of my heroines!!!! I really wanted a kickass heroine fave since Anita Blake fell the wayside. But, now I have Mercy Thompson and Kate Daniels. Happiness!

Exactly, they are definitely my favorites out of all the series I read and I compare everyone else to both Kate and Mercy!

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 9 comments I love how she defies orders and advice given to her, usually to hilarious effect. I keep thinking of Magic Bleeds when the two advisors tell Kate not to challenge the alphas but really it had to be done! She couldn't afford to be seen as weak.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) | 137 comments Mod
Yes, Kate definitely has an issue with authority.

Erika  Badass (nurslings) | 9 comments Kate is in my top two for favorite female lead of all the books I've read. Eve Dallas is there with her.

Erika, she's my #2 favorite UF heroine. Mercy Thompson is my #1.

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 167 comments Mod
i love kate! she is one of my favorite heroine. up there in my top #5 for sure.

Lori | 4 comments Kate is hands down my favorite heroine, nothing stands in her way, she's unstoppable! Mercy Thompson is a close second, they have the same characteristics.

Lori, I like Mercy just a smidge more than Kate (don't hit me), but they are both super awesome!!!

Dawn (DawnV) | 35 comments Mercy is just so zen about everything I like her as well.

That is a perfect way to describe what I like about Mercy. Thanks, Dawn!

Wendes | 188 comments she's awesome. she's tough and badass but she holds true to her morals and values. she's a heroine with a heart and mad fighting skills.

Karin Elisabeth (goodreadscomKarinElisabeth) | 49 comments I also like how seriously she takes her responsibilities - and doesn't she feel responsible for a lot of people?

Wendes | 188 comments That's true, like she puts a lot of things on herself, but she always sees them through to the end. Like it was really sweet with Julie, and going rogue with Jim even if it meant defying Curran, because she believes in him and they were partners for so long.

Karin Elisabeth (goodreadscomKarinElisabeth) | 49 comments I've just come across the Mercy Thompson series and I have to say I enjoy Kate Daniels more - I think it's partly true to the fact that I find myself laughing out loud time and again at the dialogues.
I also enjoyed the download of Curran's point of view from the website. It's so nice to read the same scenes from another angle as we can only get Kate's input ususally.

Wendes | 188 comments Same, i wish they were longer though but I liked seeing what Curran had to say about Kate.

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 167 comments Mod
I agree that I enjoyed Kate Daniels more...I didn't get into the Mercy Thompson Series til like book 4 or 5. where the kate daniels books I was hooked immediately. and kate daniels is way more funnier. I mean I liked MT but I don't think I would re-read the series...I have already re-read Kate Daniels like three times and looking forward to another re-read soon.

We so need more Curran POV's! I can't help but laugh when reading his POV. I love him!

Karin Elisabeth (goodreadscomKarinElisabeth) | 49 comments Mariya wrote: "I agree that I enjoyed Kate Daniels more...I didn't get into the Mercy Thompson Series til like book 4 or 5. where the kate daniels books I was hooked immediately. and kate daniels is way more funn..."

Well, Mariya, I definitely share all your feelings. I've read and re-read and re-read Kate Daniels and still I find more tidbits that I enjoy. (I'm a very fast reader and if I like a book or series I tend to re-read them time and again!

valee Kate is an AMAZING heroine, I adore her. IMHO the series is this good because of her, she is the whole soul of the series and it wouldn't be the same without her. She is so funny, I can't help to laugh about every word that comes out of her mouth. And her relationship with Curran is perfect, they fit so well with each other. I love them.

Wendes | 188 comments Agreed, about everything!!!

Gua | 1 comments I love Kate and Mercy, they are both awesome and definitely my favorites. I am wondering, does anyone have similar series to recommend? I want to find more things as awesome as those two series but it is hard.
Thanks

message 26: by Josie (last edited Feb 22, 2011 01:01AM) (new)

Josie | 23 comments There's a page around here, something about other series you might like, that has loads of good suggestions. I pretty much second all that's on there :)

ETA: Here's the link, it's a very pretty page: If you like Ilona Andrews, you might like...

Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian (Geekius) | 1 comments I love Kate! She is so freaking awesome. She's everything Anita Blake shoulda-woulda-coulda been (so p****d off with how that series devolved)I think her character is written superbly well- when she's being funny, you laugh along with her(even when none of the other characters do!)and when she's angry (thinking in particular of when she and Jim fell out) you actually feel angry for her, on her behalf. That's how engaging she is. I looooove her!

Dani Marescotti (Dani15) | 168 comments Kate is probably The Funniest character I've ever read and she's even better when Curran's around! ((Jace from the Mortal Instruments series, has been replaced)). But it's not just Kate's humor that makes me like her. She kicked ass and she does it with this flourish that makes it hard not to laugh. And even though Kate kills, she only does so when it's a necessity and I like that she acknowledges that and feels that compassion that some protagonists seem devoid of.

I think Kate has a great sense of humor. Very funny in a snarky way.

Dani Marescotti (Dani15) | 168 comments I love sarcastic and snarky characters so Kate fits the role perfectly

Wendes | 188 comments Agreed, no other Urban Fantasy heroine is as kick butt as Kate is =D

Marsha | 13 comments Okay, don't be mad, but I couldn't stand Kate when I first started reading the series. She irritated me because she seemed like she had a huge chip on her shoulder and she felt like she had to prove her bad assedness (that's not really a word, I know - sorry) to everyone she met. My attitude changed 180 degrees though when I got to the second book. The way she took Julie under her wing and truly put that child's safety first made me stop and take another look at Kate. I'm glad I did. I do have to say that I love her snarky remarks - even though I feel like slapping her upside the head sometimes because all they seem to do is get her into more trouble. I still like Mercy a little more, but Kate has now shown her true quality and moved up to #2 in my list of favorite female heroines.

I ain't mad at you, Marsha. You are entitled to your opinion. I have always loved Kate. I think she was pretty troubled and moody in the first book, but I liked that she was allowed to be moody. It's realistic to me. Plus, I have my moody moments, so there was an identification factor there for me.

Phil | 1 comments I think Milla Jovovich can swing it!

Synobal | 11 comments She's my favorite female lead when it comes to UF. It always seems like to me in urban fantasy that the women are either to permiscious or wayyyy to into their love interest to the point that the plot becomes secondary. Fortunately that hasn't happened with the Kate Daniels series and I've been able to enjoy all the books despite the romantic subplot going on.

Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥  (mylheage) I often have a problem with the heroines in books but Kate is not bad. Not my fave but I've seen worse. LOL

Although when it comes to the romance part I'm not a big fan of her. There are moments when she's too bitchy or childish. I think her and Curran are better as simple business partners.

I also have to agree with... Ghastek? Saiman?... I liked her more as a merc.

Erin (Paperback Stash) (ErinPaperbackstash) I do like Kate, but I mainly read the series for the series itself and the other characters. To me she's not as likeable as a lot of Urban Fantasy heroines. I think it's the bitchiness and chip on the shoulder that throw me off.

unread topics | mark unread