Fantasy Book Club discussion

General fantasy discussions > Favorite fantasy books that are unknown

Comments (showing 63-112)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 112: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (queentess) Chris wrote: "Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "There's this really cool tool called 'google'..."

Way to make new members feel welcome."

No kidding. What a worthless mod. Now I remember why I never visit this group.

message 111: by shinfu (new)

shinfu | 2 comments I dont get out much since many of these books I never heard of.

message 110: by Patricia (new)

Patricia I really enjoyed R. A. MacAvoy's Damiano. It's the first of a trilogy, but not sure what it's called. Other two books are: Damiano's Lute & Raphael.

message 109: by Mark (new)

Mark Burns (TheFailedPhilosopher) | 31 comments I like Myrren's Gift.

message 108: by Marc (new)

Marc (AuthorGuy) | 368 comments Chris wrote: Way to make new members feel welcome."

Be glad you're not an author. They have an official ghetto for authors.

message 107: by Faith (new)

Faith (Amberfaith1) Heather wrote: "Myrren's Gift by Fiona McIntosh
God Stalk by P.C. Hodgell
A Paler Shade of Blue by Heather N. Hunt

And Scorpian Shards by Neal Shusterman, though this one is more sc..."

Haven't read the other 2 but God Stalk and all the Kencyrath series are my favorites. She has next installment due out this fall. I will definitely check out the other 2 on your list.

message 106: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Brad wrote: Even better, you can get a FREE Kindle digest subscription to Fantasy and Science Fiction Magazine over at Amazon. It's an edited version of the full magazin, but it's still a pretty good deal IMO. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/Fantasy-Science-Fi...

You are my new best friend.

message 105: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 868 comments Using this really cool tool called "wikipedia", I found the following list, that is quite interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shades_o...

Lots of grey shading there....

message 104: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 868 comments Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "There's this really cool tool called 'google'..."

Way to make new members feel welcome.

message 103: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 868 comments Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "Jordanw wrote: "Just about all of the books that I have read have been by well known authors. I think the only one I have read recently by an unknown author is In Shades of Greytho..."

Isn't this a ripoff of Jasper Fforde's Shades of Grey? If I were a new author, I wouldn't choose a title so similar to a famous one.

How is it a ripoff? "Shades of Grey" isn't exactly an original concept. Fforde didn't do an Al Gore and create the Internet coin the phrase. He used a common expression to title his novel. If another author does the same thing with a common, perhaps even cliche'd expression, that's not stealing.

Otherwise I'd just write a book, call it "Dumbass", and scream foul every time someone used "my" title.

message 102: by Josh (new)

Josh Taylor | 11 comments Villains by necessity - even foreward

A bunch of bad guys bring evil back to a perfect? World

Into the forge - dennis let mckiernan

Just a good high fantasy in the style of tolkein

message 101: by Jan (new)

Jan Chris wrote: "sorry guys i was out of town just had a chance to check out some of this books listed there great i have a new one "the ship that sang" anyone read that"

I've read it and really enjoyed it. Of course I love all of Anne McCaffrey's books. Crystal Singer is another of her books that I liked.

message 100: by CuriousSusan (last edited Aug 08, 2011 12:48AM) (new)

CuriousSusan D (CuriousD) I'll try again... my favorite recent unknown book is "In Shades of Grey" by Melissa Myers. Though she is a new author, her storytelling is much better than many of the others I've read lately. I keep telling my friends about this book and I can't wait for the next one, due out this fall. :)

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11...

message 99: by CuriousSusan (new)

CuriousSusan D (CuriousD) So weird... where did my comment go? I wonder if I did something wrong.

message 98: by Traci (new)

Traci Maggie wrote: "I hear you all on the titles thing...it's just hard when you are looking up a book that has similar title to other books..."

I don't remember the name of the book but on another club a reader tried to link to a book that she was reading that was supposed to be about Sherlock Holmes. What she linked to was a m/m romance set in Hollywood. Be very careful when you pick the book you want. ;)

message 97: by Brad (last edited Aug 07, 2011 02:22AM) (new)

Brad Sheridan Debra wrote: "Wow, too many of these aren't out in ebook yet, sigh... My bookshelves have no. more. space.

I'm reading a free copy of The Gamble of the Godless that I got as a giveaway here on Goodreads, it's an e-book and it's pretty solid so far. Even better, you can get a FREE Kindle digest subscription to Fantasy and Science Fiction Magazine over at Amazon. It's an edited version of the full magazin, but it's still a pretty good deal IMO. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/Fantasy-Science....

That should save you some shelf space! ;-)

Tamara (Nanny Ogg)  (NannyOgg) The Stone and the Flute by Hans Bemmann ^_^
Most people I know (in rl and on the internet) didn't even hear of this book, but I successfully got my hands on a copy in my native language (Serbian). I don't know how hard it is to get it in English, or if it's as unknown as it is in Serbia though.

message 95: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K | 266 comments I hear you all on the titles thing...it's just hard when you are looking up a book that has similar title to other books...

message 94: by Jim (last edited Aug 05, 2011 06:43AM) (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) Jordanw wrote: "...I would guess that with as many indie books and major publishing books ect that eventually it gets difficult to have a truly original title."

It's always been a problem & it's just getting worse. There are so many new books being published & titles usually have just a few words. Makes it difficult not to have similar or the same titles. For example:
I, robot by Howard S. Smith
I, Robot by Isaac Asimov
I, Robot by Cory Doctorow

If Hollywood does a novelization of that Will Smith movie, we're really in trouble because they'll probably list Asimov as one of the authors.
;-)

message 93: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 532 comments Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "Jordanw wrote: "I'm not sure about the title mix up. From what I've seen on Amazon there are quite a few books that have similiar titles. I haven't read the one by Jasper Fforde, but Myer's explai..."

lol!

message 92: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) | 1947 comments Jordanw wrote: "I'm not sure about the title mix up. From what I've seen on Amazon there are quite a few books that have similiar titles. I haven't read the one by Jasper Fforde, but Myer's explains the title in ..."

There's this really cool tool called 'google'.

message 91: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Walker (Jordan739) I'm not sure about the title mix up. From what I've seen on Amazon there are quite a few books that have similiar titles. I haven't read the one by Jasper Fforde, but Myer's explains the title in the first page of the book. I would guess that with as many indie books and major publishing books ect that eventually it gets difficult to have a truly original title.

message 90: by Shannon (last edited Aug 12, 2011 08:47AM) (new)

Shannon (_shannon) | 28 comments I really liked The Black Chalice by Marie Jakober.

message 89: by Sandra (last edited Aug 04, 2011 05:42AM) (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) | 1947 comments Jordanw wrote: "Just about all of the books that I have read have been by well known authors. I think the only one I have read recently by an unknown author is In Shades of Greythough after readin..."

Isn't this a ripoff of Jasper Fforde's Shades of Grey? If I were a new author, I wouldn't choose a title so similar to a famous one.

message 88: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 1098 comments It's been a few years but I also have fond memories of Jo Clayton -- I mainlined through most of her stuff on a vacation many years ago.

message 87: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Walker (Jordan739) Just about all of the books that I have read have been by well known authors. I think the only one I have read recently by an unknown author is In Shades of Greythough after reading it Myers moved into my top three favorite authors. The other two being Robin Hobbs and Brent Weeks. George r. r. Martin got bumped by Myers because I'm bitter about how long he took to bring out Dance of Dragons lol

message 86: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andreakhost) Claudia J. Edwards' books, such as Bright and Shining Tiger, Taming the Forest King and A Horsewoman in Godsland. Totally out of print now, but if you see 'em in a second hand store, snatch 'em up.

message 85: by pauliree (new)

pauliree | 9 comments So many of the books I loved and reread over the years have faded into obscurity, even if the authors have not. Of those my favourite stand alones would be The Legend of Nightfall by Mickey Zucker Reichert and A Wind in Cairo by Judith Tarr, both of which have stayed on my shelves over two decades. I recommend both wholeheartedly.

It has been good reading all the recommendations, and although I have read quite a few of them, I had actually forgotten that fact and it brought back quite a few good memories of some great books. Thanks everybody :)

message 84: by Ivy (new)

Ivy (IvyF) I really love Dark Horse and the subsequent books in the series. They're hard to find now but good reads.

message 83: by Kara (new)

Kara (sterlink) | 78 comments Louise wrote: "Son of Ereubus (Guardians of Legend #1) by J.S. Chancellor Great book that i could not put down. I read it in a day. Love the characters, the story and the world. She did really good for her..."

Am reading this one right now and it IS very good. (Not finished yet, but am looking forward to the next already...)

message 82: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Flynn (SamanthaFlynn) I just read "The Eye of the Crystal Ball" as well and Jan, I have to say that I found it amazing too. Really worth buying. You will not be disappointed.

message 81: by Jan (new)

Jan (Sigetty) | 3 comments "The Eye of the Crystal Ball" by T.P.Boje is an awesome book. I love to use my imagination and this one really takes you to wonderful places. You know when sometimes you read a book and get totally blown away? This one did that for me and now I just want to tell everybody about it!
Loved it, loved it loved it!

message 80: by Ray (new)

Ray Marc wrote: "Ray wrote: "Here are some of my favorite obscure fantasy novels/series (that haven't already been mentioned):

Pelmen the Powershaper, Robert Don Hughes
The Parsina Saga, Stephen Goldin
The Crystal..."

Yes, I read all(?) of the Kedrigern books a long time ago; can't even remember what it was about anymore! Same for Seventh Sword... (I think). So many books I need to re-read... :)

I did read Sorceror's Son (after Crystal Palace), as well as In the Red Lord's Reach.

message 79: by Marc (new)

Marc (AuthorGuy) | 368 comments Ray wrote: "Here are some of my favorite obscure fantasy novels/series (that haven't already been mentioned):

The Crystal Palace, Phy..."

If you like Ebenezum, you might also like the Kedrigern boooks by John Morressy.

I love Dave Duncan's Seventh Sword trilogy. While A Man of His Word is very good, it has many leftover plot threads that had to be settled in a whole other quartet. For SF his story Strings is the best.

Did you read Eisenstein's Sorcerer's Son, which introduces the hero of Crystal Palace?

message 78: by Ray (new)

Ray Here are some of my favorite obscure fantasy novels/series (that haven't already been mentioned):

The Crystal Palace, Phyllis Eisenstein
all the Ebenezum/Wuntvor books by Craig Shaw Gardner
A Man of His Word, Dave Duncan

message 77: by Keryl (new)

Keryl Raist (Kerylraist) | 107 comments I'm a huge fan of John Hartness who not nearly enough people have read. His books are slick, funny, and fluffy paranormal. He writes excellent witty dialog and characters that never stray from their internal truths.

MeiLin Miranda has an erotic, realpolitik, coming of age fantasy out called Lovers and Beloveds. It's a layered novel with a story in the story and plot threads galore. When the series is eventually finished it'll be epic in scale. She also has a collection of serialized short stories set in a sort of magical, steam punk old west that are a hoot. The Scryer's Gulch stories aren't quite as tightly written as Lovers and Beloveds, but they are still a lot of fun to read.

message 76: by Chris (new)

Chris sorry guys i was out of town just had a chance to check out some of this books listed there great i have a new one "the ship that sang" anyone read that

message 75: by Colin (new)

Colin Taber I haven't read enough Cherryh, and it's been years since I delved in (encouraged by a friend). I really should go back and check through her work. I think it was the first few Foreigner books that I tried.

message 74: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 322 comments CJ Cherryh has some stand-a-lones which I find very good, like all of Cherryh. The Goblin's Mirror comes to mind. There are others. See her page.

message 73: by Colin (new)

Colin Taber I enjoyed the Godless World Trilogy that starts with Winterbirth, but it is a very dark series - and some say slow.

message 72: by Clansman (new)

Clansman Lochaber Axeman Kernos wrote: "I'd recommend a series from the mid '80s which I just rediscovered that I enjoyed a lot, Joel Rosenberg's series Guardians of the Flame. I suspect it is relatively unkno..."

I loved Rosenberg's books in Guardians of the Flame, although the last one in the series (the 4th or 5th maybe) was really disconnected from the rest of the books. A lot of fun at the time, I imagine it is a bit dated and trite reading now. Very heavy D&D feel to it.

message 71: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) | 1947 comments Kernos wrote: "Joseph wrote: "...I should add them to my shelf as well, but my shelf is already groaning . . . "

Indeed! I had a dream that a truck when by, shook the house and I was buried in a mountain of book..."

LOL, since you posted a picture of your shelves I see this as a real danger!

message 70: by Mark (new)

Mark Burns (TheFailedPhilosopher) | 31 comments Marian wrote: "Doris wrote: "Andre Norton's "Breed to Come". This book was the one that moved me into the realm of fantasy/science fiction (this one is both). Another of hers, even more obscure, is "Yurth Burden"..."

Is it just me or would "Breed to Come" make more sense the other way around?

message 69: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 322 comments Joseph wrote: "...I should add them to my shelf as well, but my shelf is already groaning . . . "

Indeed! I had a dream that a truck when by, shook the house and I was buried in a mountain of books...

message 68: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 1098 comments Kernos wrote: "Yes that's it! Thanks for the reminder. I have read all of Lawhead and find him consistently excellent. His Robin Hood trilogy starting with Hood brings life to this opt told tale. He re-tells largely British myths and legends in historically accurate periods."

You're welcome! My brother has read more Lawhead than I have; I'm not sure if that includes the Albion books. I should add them to my shelf as well, but my shelf is already groaning . . .

message 67: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 322 comments Joseph wrote: "Kernos wrote: "...Could it be the Song of Albion series (The Paradise War et al.) by Stephen R. Lawhead? I haven't read those -- the only Lawhead I've read is the first three or four books in the Pendragon cycle (retelling of the Arthurian myth)...."

Yes that's it! Thanks for the reminder. I have read all of Lawhead and find him consistently excellent. His Robin Hood trilogy starting with Hood brings life to this opt told tale. He re-tells largely British myths and legends in historically accurate periods.

message 66: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 1098 comments Kernos wrote: "There is Celtoid fantasy I also really liked—dont remember the name or the author. It involved university students in archeology in England who had heard rumors of aurochs and red-earred dogs (out of Welsh mythology) running around Scotland"

Could it be the Song of Albion series (The Paradise War et al.) by Stephen R. Lawhead? I haven't read those -- the only Lawhead I've read is the first three or four books in the Pendragon cycle (retelling of the Arthurian myth).

I also read the first several Guardians of the Flame books many years ago and remember enjoying them.

Another series I remember fondly from that era started with Windmaster's Bane by Tom Deitz -- the Faery Court moved to the Appalachians back in the 17th Century and now a modern-day boy in Georgia stumbles across them.

message 65: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 136 comments Kernos wrote: "I'd recommend a series from the mid '80s which I just rediscovered that I enjoyed a lot, Joel Rosenberg's series Guardians of the Flame. I suspect it is relatively unkno..."

First time I have ever heard of anyone that has read these books. I read these back in 86 or 87 I think and loved them. There are great easy read. I think I stopped at around book 6 or 7, but the first three are great.

message 64: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 322 comments I'd recommend a series from the mid '80s which I just rediscovered that I enjoyed a lot, Joel Rosenberg's series Guardians of the Flame. I suspect it is relatively unknown to those who were not reading in the '80s. It's a D&D type fantasy.

There is Celtoid fantasy I also really liked—dont remember the name or the author. It involved university students in archeology in England who had heard rumors of aurochs and red-earred dogs (out of Welsh mythology) running around Scotland. They went up to investigate, encountered a tump or barrow, crawled in and were transported into a Celtic Otherworld where that action took place. It was probably early '90s and is packed away somewhere.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

message 63: by Chris (new)

Chris here is one for everybody "eye of leomander"by Diane Louise Smith its a new one just out but its greatEye of Leomander

« previous 1 3
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Wrath of Ashar (other topics)
In Legend Born (other topics)
Windmaster's Bane (other topics)
Song in the Silence (other topics)
Merlin's Ring (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Patricia A. McKillip (other topics)
John Myers Myers (other topics)