Goodreads Feedback discussion

Bugs > Object error pop up

Comments (showing 1-45 of 45) (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Adrienne | 175 comments I use microsoft internet explorer 7 and have started to get an object error pop up when I read reviews, view book blurb etc.

Auntee | 46 comments Me too! What does that mean? It says "Type error: Object doesn't support this property or method"

KarenH | 1 comments Adrienne & Auntee,
Hi. Does everything else seem to be working properly? You can still read reviews, etc.? If you just want to do away with the annoying message, in your browser:
Click on Tools
Click on Internet Options
At the top, select the Advanced tab.
Click to clear the check next to display a notification about every script error
Click OK

That should at least get rid of the message. Hope it helps.

Amanda J (amandasbooks) | 172 comments I recently got that error as well. I was looking at the new review graph on Otis' page when it happened.

Auntee | 46 comments KarenH wrote: "Adrienne & Auntee,
Hi. Does everything else seem to be working properly? You can still read reviews, etc.? If you just want to do away with the annoying message, in your browser:
Click on Tools
Cli..."

Thanks KarenH. Yeah, everything else is okay. I just have to click 'OK' on the message and it disappears. Just a latest bug from GR. Doesn't seem to be happening on any other site I visit.

Cait (tigercait) | 1928 comments Auntee wrote: "Me too! What does that mean? It says "Type error: Object doesn't support this property or method""

It means that either there's a error in a script running in the webpage that's open or that your browser failed to run the script correctly. There's a lot of things which could cause either one to happen, unfortunately. Here's some information from Microsoft about troubleshooting this in IE: How to troubleshoot script errors in Internet Explorer on Windows-based computers.

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 234 comments KarenH wrote: "Adrienne & Auntee,
Click on Tools
Cli..."

I don't have it checked and it's still happening.LOL

message 8: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (new)

Otis Chandler | 4164 comments Mod
I think it's these mcdonalds ads. Investigating.

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 234 comments OMG, Otis you're right! I just notice that it happens every time that ad is there. *ROFL*

Auntee | 46 comments It seems to pop up most for me whenever I check out someone's reviews. Really weird.

Adrienne | 175 comments Same here Auntee:( do you get it when looking at book descriptions?

Auntee | 46 comments Adrienne wrote: "Same here Auntee:( do you get it when looking at book descriptions?"

Hmm, I haven't noticed that--I'll have to pay attention. For me, I don't think it's directly connected to the McDonald's ad. So far I've noticed it when I click on a review. I'll try to keep track when it happens...maybe there's a common denominator.

Kathrynn | 506 comments I got an error message when I previewed a group comment prior to posting. Then, the comment was gone and had to retype it. :-(

Auntee | 46 comments So far it's still happening for me but only when I click on reviews or comments linked to reviews.

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 234 comments I think it's those active ads, it just happened to me with a Mr. Dash!LOL
Like Auntee mentioned, it only seems to happen when i look at reviews or comments linked to them.

Melanie♥ (Melanie-N) | 261 comments I am getting an "object error" message, too.
Have not been able to connect it to anything specific, though. Will try to pay more attention.

message 17: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

rivka | 11052 comments Mod
Is anyone getting this message using any browser other than Internet Explorer?

Melanie♥ (Melanie-N) | 261 comments I am using IE7.

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 234 comments Ok now am getting this error when am looking at certain books?

I'm using IE and the error appeared when i looked at this two books. UntamedSurrender, though i cannot recall which format it was.

Melanie♥ (Melanie-N) | 261 comments I have been on the site a lot today and that error message box has been a frequent site.

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 234 comments Yes, i just noticed it's happening pretty frequently on many other books.

Julie (readerjules) | 273 comments I get it every time I look at a book. It doesn't matter which one.

Melanie♥ (Melanie-N) | 261 comments I am getting it with almost every book I look at as well.

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 234 comments Yes, i'm getting it every time now.

Adrienne | 175 comments Yes it's back with avengance, every book,and every review!

Sheila  | 572 comments Ditto. Glad to see it's not just my computer. :o)

Adrienne | 175 comments Rivka is there anything we can do to stop this? quite frankly it's becoming very irritating!

message 29: by rivka, librarian moderator (last edited Jul 18, 2010 10:47PM) (new)

It WAS fixed, but it's clearly back. I've passed it along.

It does seem to be exclusive to IE, so there's always the option of Firefox! ;)

Adrienne | 175 comments Thanks for getting back so quickly Rivka, will see what happens with the fix and keep firefox in mind:)

Suziqoregon | 34 comments rivka wrote: "there's always the option of Firefox! ;)"

Not from my work computer there's not ;-(

Adrienne | 175 comments I've opted for firefox, OEs all gone:) but my updates page no longer automatically updates I have to keep going to a different page then come back. Anyone know how to overcome this?

Petra SockieX (PetraX) | 4621 comments I'm not getting them on Chrome but I am on IE and GB

Mary JL (MaryJL) | 85 comments I am still getting object error--have for the past few days.

However, IE is the only option available for me at this time.

Jackie (TheNightOwl) | 205 comments Same here and it's really getting annoying.

Melanie♥ (Melanie-N) | 261 comments Ditto.

message 37: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

I believe it's connected to some of the ads, and the last I heard it was being worked on. Sorry, guys!

Melanie♥ (Melanie-N) | 261 comments If they are working on it, we are in good hands. Thanks!

MissJessie--former librarian (MissJessie) | 1618 comments I have noticed that some of the video-clip ads are taking Forever to load, or don't at all until you hit refresh.

message 40: by Michael, Problems Architect (new)

Michael Economy (michaeleconomy) | 1976 comments Mod
THe JS alert should be resolved.

message 41: by Michael, Problems Architect (new)

Michael Economy (michaeleconomy) | 1976 comments Mod
It was due to the new graph which is visible only in firefox/chrome/opera/safari.

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 234 comments Thanks Michael!

message 44: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

MICHAEL wrote: "It was due to the new graph which is visible only in firefox/chrome/opera/safari."

Oh, THAT's what was doing it!? LOL!

Barbara (BARBHH) | 170 comments I have just tried the troubleshooting thread for Microsoft as suggested by Cait in message #10. I have been receiving "object error" fo some time now. We'll see if suggestions help.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Surrender (other topics)
Untamed (other topics)