The Life of a Book Addict discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Picking New Books! > Picking our July Books!

Comments (showing 1-50 of 80) (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Miss GP (new)

Miss GP (PDXReader) Hard to believe it's June 1 already. Nominations are open for July's books.

- Please be sure the book is available in paperback
- Please be sure the book isn't one the group has already read (see "Book Addicts' Reading History" under General above).

Nominations will be closed on June 13.

message 3: by LynnB (new)

LynnB I'll second Brooklyn.

message 4: by Jill (last edited Jun 01, 2010 08:21PM) (new)

message 5: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson42353) The World According to Garp by John Irving 4.01 rating on Goodreads

Originally published in 1978, and now reissued in a Modern Library paperback classics edition, The World According to Garp occupies a special place in American letters as a beloved modern classic. Author John Irving provides a new Introduction for this edition. As the Chicago Sun-times said, "Like all extraordinary books, GARP defies synopsis."

message 6: by Marialyce (new)

Marialyce | 1242 comments Brooklyn and The Angel's Game are my choices.

message 7: by Elena (new)

Elena | 165 comments I nominate Await Your Reply Await Your Reply by Dan Chaon. The paperback edition has been released.

message 8: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 526 comments My choice: Brooklyn

message 9: by Liz (new)

Liz I nominate The Tea Rose (The Tea Rose, #1) by Jennifer DonnellyThe Tea Rose, by Jennifer Donnelly.

message 10: by K.B. (new)

K.B. Hallman (kbhallman) | 321 comments I second The Angel's Game. I noticed in the reading history that there is an Outlander listed besides the Diana Gabaldon one. Is that Gil Adamson's The Oultander? If not, I'd like to nominate that one. I'd also like to nominate A Guide to the Birds of East Africa (Nicholas Drayson) and In the Shadow of Gotham (Stefanie Pintoff).

message 11: by Liz (last edited Jun 02, 2010 08:41AM) (new)

Liz K.B. wrote: "I second The Angel's Game. I noticed in the reading history that there is an Outlander listed besides the Diana Gabaldon one. Is that Gil Adamson's The Oultander? If not, I'd like to nominate that ..."

I believe we're only allowed one nomination - too many good books to choose from! ;)

message 12: by K.B. (new)

K.B. Hallman (kbhallman) | 321 comments Rats and sassafras. In that case, I guess I'll stick with seconding The Angel's Game. Seems like nearly everything I picked up recently has already been read by the group.

message 13: by Nance (last edited Jun 02, 2010 09:20AM) (new)

Nance (Nabpurple12) | 377 comments I would like to nominate Every Man Dies Alone by Hans Fallada! Every Man Dies Alone by Hans Fallada

message 14: by Jan (new)

Jan (booklover777) | 91 comments I suggest Salamander by Thomas Wharton. It's been on my TBR list for a while & it's a book about a book so right up my alley. I hope others agree!

message 15: by Marie-vicky (new)

Marie-vicky (grimace) | 672 comments Angel's Game is great I'm voting for this one!

message 16: by Christopher (new)

Christopher H. (christopher_h) Well, I'll try again...

Elizabeth von Arnim's The Enchanted April.

message 18: by Raymond (new)

message 19: by Daphne (last edited Jun 02, 2010 12:50PM) (new)

Daphne (Daphne2163) | 239 comments I would like to nominate A Room With a View, by E.M. Forster. It seems like a fun book to read in July with the storyline of the ladies trip to Italy. Just what I would love to be doing in July!

message 20: by Laurence (new)

Laurence (LovetoReadNYC) My vote is for The Angel's Game by Safon. Loved the Shadow of the Wind and have been looking forward to reading this one.

message 21: by DJ (new)

DJ  (DJDivaofJava) | 2985 comments Marialyce wrote: "Brooklyn and The Angel's Game are my choices."

I will second THE ANGELS GAME...

message 22: by Mary (Marbear), Founder (new)

Mary (Marbear) (mbeth45) | 10305 comments Mod
My vote is "The Scent of Rain and Lightning," by Nancy Pickard. Thanks to Miss GP for doing this. It's wonderful have such good friends.

Marbear

message 23: by Linda (new)

Linda (goodreadscomlhhh) | 2 comments "Brooklyn"

message 24: by Katy (new)

Katy How about The Little Bee by Chris Cleave?

message 25: by Sheryl (new)

Sheryl (sarauscher) | 5 comments I would like to nominate Still Alice by Lisa Genova Still Alice Still Alice by Lisa Genova

It is on my TBR list and I would love to discuss it with the group.

message 26: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 526 comments Sheryl wrote: "I would like to nominate Still Alice by Lisa Genova Still Alice Still Alice by Lisa Genova

It is on my TBR list and I would love to discuss it with the group."

Sheryl, I read Still Alice recently - its very moving so even if it doesn't win the poll do read it - its a quick read.

message 27: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson42353) I also read Still Alice in April. It was a great book - especially moving for anyone who knows an alzheimer's patient.

message 28: by Carefree Toni (new)

Carefree Toni | 19 comments Hello all,

I would like to nominate One Second Afer by William Forstchen.

message 29: by Martha (new)

Martha | 2 comments I second The Tea Rose.

message 30: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (Kristina3880) WOW guys!! ALL of these books sound fantastic. I will not be nominating since I am a little undecided. Keep the good work coming!

message 31: by Tina (new)

Tina Katy wrote: "How about The Little Bee by Chris Cleave?"

Linda wrote: ""Brooklyn""

I'll second Little Bee. It's terrific!

message 32: by Sara (new)

Sara | 65 comments I would also like to vote for Still Alice. It is such a good book :)

message 33: by Anita (new)

Anita | 87 comments I nominate A Thousand Acres by Jane Smiley

message 34: by Susan (new)

Susan | 250 comments Shanghai Girls by Lisa See

message 35: by Jules (new)

Jules (randomisedhabit) | 51 comments Seconding A Room with a View here!

message 36: by Tasha (last edited Jun 06, 2010 05:13AM) (new)

Tasha I'd like to nominate The Red Scarf. Although, I'm liking the other nominations too so will be happy with whatever makes it :)

message 37: by Moon (last edited Jun 06, 2010 07:46AM) (new)

message 38: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 14 comments Jules wrote: "Seconding A Room with a View here!"

I would love to read A Room With a View so I will "third" this suggestion and may suggest it as the July read for my in-person book group since we are trying to alternate classics.

message 39: by Dara S. (last edited Jun 06, 2010 09:44AM) (new)

Dara S. (dara85) | 102 comments I'll second The Scent of Rain and Lightning which I happen to be reading right now.

message 40: by Dana (new)

Dana (ANovelIdea73) | 131 comments Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah I vote Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah

message 41: by DJ (new)

DJ  (DJDivaofJava) | 2985 comments Moony wrote: "I would like to nominate A Summer of Hummingbirds: Love, Art, and Scandal in the Intersecting Worlds of Emily Dickinson, Mark Twain, Harriet Beecher Stowe, and Martin Johnson Heade b..."

Moon his looks incredible and I have put it on my wish list.....
Thanks for nominating it.

message 42: by Kerri (last edited Jun 06, 2010 12:07PM) (new)

Kerri Laurence wrote: "My vote is for The Angel's Game by Safon. Loved the Shadow of the Wind and have been looking forward to reading this one."

Also throwing my nomination in for The Angel's Game!

message 43: by Anita (new)

Anita | 87 comments A Summer of Hummingbirds is definetly my type of book. I'm putting it on my TBR list.

message 44: by Miss GP (new)

Miss GP (PDXReader) I'd like to nominate The Mine, by Book Addicts member Daniel Cobb.

message 45: by Les (new)

Les Gehman | 18 comments I'll second The Mine. It looks really interesting.

message 46: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Bartelmo (Missjackieann) | 15 comments I would like to nominate Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

message 47: by Silver (new)

Silver | 678 comments Susan wrote: "Shanghai Girls by Lisa See"

I 2nd that, I just recently picked up a copy, and I know it has been nominated more than once.

I will nominate The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides

message 48: by Karen (new)

Karen (KarenF) | 94 comments I'll also vote for Still Alice.
(do you set up a poll?)
thanks, Karen

message 49: by Silver (new)

Silver | 678 comments Karen wrote: "I'll also vote for Still Alice.
(do you set up a poll?)
thanks, Karen"

After the nomination period is over a poll will be set up, and you should get a message sent to you annouance when the poll is open.

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Les wrote: "I'll second The Mine. It looks really interesting."

Thanks Miss GP, Les. I appreciate it! I had a lot of fun writing The Mine. As of last weekend, this thriller is available for Kindle readers. I also discovered that Amazon offers a free PC Kindle Reader software download, so you don't need to buy the Kindle to download and read Kindle books. Pretty cool.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Brooklyn (other topics)
Shoot the Moon (other topics)
The World According to Garp (other topics)
Await Your Reply (other topics)
The Tea Rose (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Billie Letts (other topics)
John Irving (other topics)
Thomas Wharton (other topics)
Raymond Sturgis (other topics)
Jeffrey Eugenides (other topics)
More...