The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
SUMMER CHALLENGE 2010 > Summer Challenge 2010 Completed Tasks (do NOT delete any posts in this thread)

Comments (showing 401-450 of 3,059) (3059 new)    post a comment »

message 401: by Cindie (new)

Cindie Harp | 1104 comments Donna Jo wrote: "Finished:
20.10 Group Read: ABC Murders. Comment 20 in Group Reads.

Repost
15.10 Other Things May Change Us: The Stepsister Scheme by Jim Hines.
I've been s..."

Wow that is a great plaque.

Although, it would not work for me...we are too obviously NOT normal (but we like that)

message 402: by Jason (new)

Jason | 61 comments Task 5.5 - Dropping Names
Old Man's War by John Scalzi
He is a Goodreads author.

Points for this task: 5
Total Points: 10 / 950
Tasks Completed: 2
Books Read: 2
Books by Goodreads authors: 1
Big Books: 0 (500+), 0 (750+), 0 (1000+)

message 403: by Nicki (new)

Nicki H 5.5 - Dropping Names - Vision in White

Task Points: 5
Total Points:25
Tasks:5
Books:5

Nicki - STL

message 404: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 84 comments Just finished 20.10 (Group Read Task). I read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Loved it! I also posted in the Group Read Discussion for this book.

New Total: 35 points

message 405: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 5544 comments 5.1 Heat Wave
Wild Heat - Bella Andre

Total Points This post: 5
Total Points: 95/ 950
Tasks Completed: 8
Books Read: 9
Books by Goodreads authors: 4

message 406: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (KristinaSimon) | 8160 comments Mod
Finished task 20.9 -- The Spirit of Independence by reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett which won the Indies Choice Book Award for Adult Debut in 2010 and watching both Hairspray which was a 1988 nominee for best feature film and Food, Inc. which was a 2010 nominee for best documentary (I couldn't decide which one to watch, so I watched both. I love Netflix's instant watch ;o)).

Points for this task: 20
Total Points: 65/950
Tasks Completed: 5/56
Books Read: 5
Books by Goodreads authors: 2 (Sarah Addison Allen, Kathryn Stockett)

message 407: by Susan (new)

Susan Storz | 444 comments 10.6-Stand Up for Your Rights

I read "Tule Lake" by Edward Miyakawa. It is about the Japanese Internment Camp in Tule Lake California during WWII. Very sad-to think American citizens were treated this way. And a side note-my sister's in-laws live very close the the camp in Newell. I've always wanted to know more about the lives of people in the camp.

25/950

message 408: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (foshis) | 20 comments 15.9 Extras by Scott westerfield. I see myself as kinda an extra b/c I don’t really fit into any specific group and anything I do belong to I am still kinda the odd one out being the half blind chick. In the book the extra strives to be famous and goes to extremes to reach this. now I myself would not do this as if I am ever famous it will either be for cooking or an achievement in education.

35 points total

message 409: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 1198 comments 20.1 One of our local Indian restaurants (we have a lot of restaurants around here) makes the most delicious mango ice cream, so I read The Land of Mango Sunsets by Dorothea Benton Frank who is a goodreads author.

message 410: by Leigh (new)

Leigh (leighc) | 125 comments Finally on the boards, completed the following tasks:

5.1 Fire Me Up by Katie McAlister, McAlister is a GR Author

5.10 The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Spence, I loved this when I first read it in high school...and I love it and appreciate all of the history in it more today.

message 412: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Jensen (Literally Jen) (vampsita) 25.5- Helen's Task-Share the Summer Love
For all us booklovers, summer is a great time of year to relax with our favorite reads. In this task, share your love of your favorites with us. Read two (2) books:

A. Favorite Genre: Sci-fi/Fantasy. So I read Starlighter by Bryan Davis, which is a YA fantasy about two worlds, Darksphere and Starlight. Darksphere is the human planet, and Starlight is a dragon planet. On Starlight, dragons enslave humans. Humans on both planets don't believe in the other planet's existence, except for a select group of people who know the truth and seek to free those on Starlight. It's the first in a series. It was good, but I'm not all that eager to read the rest, though I probably still will.

B. Second favorite genre: YA. So I read Splendor by Anna Godbersen. Set in the 1900s in New York, this follows a select group of high society teens and 20 somethings as they find their places in society. This is the final book in the series. I had no idea how this would all turn out for everyone, and I was mostly pleased with the ending. I wish there were more, but I'm excited to see that she's now going to be writing about the Roaring 20's.

I like the Sci-Fi/Fantasy genre because the sky is the limit for what can happen in these fictitious worlds. I love visualizing these places and these foreign creatures/races/etc. I like YA because of how they often explore relationships between the opposite sex, between child and parent, and I especially like YA that explores that and also includes paranormal possibilities.

And now that it is 4a.m., I should probably go get some sleep. Um, *after* I start my next challenge book, of course!

message 413: by Pinky_rocks (last edited Jun 11, 2010 02:13AM) (new)

Pinky_rocks | 68 comments I finished my first task in my first challenge! yay!
I've read for 15.4 Under the Tuscan Sun
because I got the number 3 and so does Frances Mayes. And the characteristics were expression, verbalization, socializatin, the arts, the joy of living so I read Cream Puff Murder by Joanne Fluke for part B of the task, because the main character Hannah Swensen is firmly integrated in the social community, she likes to talk with everyone in the town and she expresses her creativity through baking cookies for her own store.

Task Points: 15
Total Points: 15
Books read: 2
Pages read: 724
Tasks completed: 1

message 415: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 9911 comments Mod
20.2 - Rookie Of The Season - Kiri's Task - A Trip To The Past
For this task you need to read a book that was either written OR takes place before 1450 AD.

I read The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ

Books: 2
Books by Goodreads authors: 0
Big Books - 0
Pages: 458
Tasks: 2

message 416: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 11472 comments Mod
I finished 5.9, Get Caught Reading, with
Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History -read at the library
Very, very powerful

20.5, Amber GA's Library, with
Quiet, Please: Dispatches From A Public Librarian

I get what Scott Douglas was trying to do- dispel the romantic ideal of public libraries and librarians- so this book is filled with stories of his lazy, dogmatic colleagues who can't tear themselves away from freecell, his wasted time in library school, his annoying patrons- ex.- chapter title: "Being the Old People Who Make Our Librarians Feel All Warm and Fuzzy, and Whom the Librarian Wishes Would Just Die Already" and as an added bonus, tales of masturbating teens, urinating homeless men, and many others pulled to the crazy magnet of the library. I should have quit this book after the first paragraph- I know better. On page 139, Douglas states "I make no excuses for my behavior. I'm a selfish jerk." IMO, that's an understatement.

+25
total 130

message 417: by Jill (new)

Jill | 25 comments 5.10 Enjoy Reading, with Every Boy's Got One by Meg Cabot, still a good amusing summer read.

30.2 For the Children, with Alice's Adventures in Wonderland / Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll, and To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.

I recommended Alice's Adventures to my niece Holly - I was surprised I had never read it as a child myself.

Points for this task: 35
Total Points: 60
Tasks Completed:  3
Pages Read: 1306

message 418: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Hodges Young | 260 comments 25.1 Read any book of at least 100 pages and then read another book where the last name of the 1st author is in the name of the second author

I read The Web by Jonathan Kelllerman for the 1st book than I read Prayers for the Dead by Faye Kellerman.

Task done 3
Books read 5
pages read 1908 The Web (Alex Delaware, #10) by Jonathan Kellerman Prayers for the Dead (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #9) by Faye Kellerman

message 419: by Wendy UK (new)

Wendy  UK (WendyUK) | 730 comments 30 more points to add to my first 15.

20.10 Group Reads: I've read The Book Thiefby Markus Zusak and made a post in the discussion.

10.9 You Cannot Open a Book Without Learning Something:
The Sampler Quilt Book by Lynne Edwards
The Sampler Quilt Book by Lynne Edwards
I've been wanting to try quilt making and I chose this particular book because the author, like me, lives in the East of England. There seems to be such a big quiltmaking tradition in America, but I felt that the advice given would be more relevant to me from an English author. It is unusual for me to read this type of book straight through without starting to experiment! However, I did, because of the challenge, and found it most enjoyable and helpful. Now I'm ready to go shopping for materials and equipment, and get started on my first quilt block!

message 420: by Erin (NY) (new)

Erin (NY) (erin_p) | 515 comments For task 20.1, I chose one of my favorite ice cream flavors: mint chocolate chip, and so I read Like Water for Chocolate: A Novel in Monthly Installments with Recipes, Romances, and Home Remedies.

Total Points: 120
Tasks Completed: 9
Tasks in Progress: 2
Books Read: 12
Pages Read: 3263
Goodreads Authors: 2
Big Books: 500+ - 1, 750+ - 0, 1000+ - 0

message 421: by Barbara VA (new)

Barbara VA (BarbaraVA)
I just finished 5.3 and readMary McCarthyThe Group

Tasks Completed - 4
Books Read - 4
Pages Read - 1534
Points - 25/350

message 422: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (KristenMA) | 101 comments 10.3 - Same Place, Same Time...Same Books
The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan.

Total Points: 45
Tasks Completed: 3
Tasks in Progress: 1
Pages Read: 1849

message 423: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 102 comments 10.4 - Roll The Dice...
Do you feel lucky...are the dice on your side? For this task you will need to visit the website (3 Random Dice). The amount shown on the dice (+/- 10) will be the amount of pages that you will need to read for this task. I.E. if you rolled a 3,5,2 you would need to read a book between between 342 and 362 pages long (EXAMPLE: Son of a Witch (Wicked Years, #2)). You can only click on the link one time.
344 (334-354)
Fantasy Lover Sherrilyn Kenyon re-read 6-9-10 337 Pages

Points- 25
#books read- 6
#pages read- 1835
#challenges completed- 4

message 424: by Ellen (last edited Jun 10, 2010 09:29AM) (new)

Ellen  (MissEllen82) | 194 comments 30.2 - PJ Read's Task - As Suggested By Shannon South Africa - For The Children -- Part A -- The Trumpeter of Krakow by Eric P. Kelly Newberry Award winner published in 1928 -- I will pass the book on to my nieces. Part B -- The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley
Books Read: 6
Pages Read: 1886
Tasks Completed: 34
Tasks in Progress: 2
Total points 90

message 425: by Jennifer (last edited Jun 10, 2010 12:47PM) (new)

Jennifer D (Booktrovert) Hello!

Completed: Task 20.1 - Deirdre's Sweltering Summer Days - Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace... One School at a Time (Green Tea Ice Cream)

Mortensen is a Goodreads author.

Task Points: 20

New Total Points: 55
Tasks Finished: 4
Pages Read: 1474
GR Authors: 1

Thanks Cynthia!

message 426: by Kim D (new)

Kim D (kdimattia) | 188 comments 5.1 - Heat Wave - I read Midnight Sun by Stephenie Meyer. 3*

I can't believe this is the first task I've completed. I've never been so slow.

Total Points: 5
Tasks Completed: 1
Book Read: 4
Pages Read: 1,359
Tasks in Process: 15.2, 15.6, 20.9, 25.10, 30.2, 30.3

message 427: by Liz (last edited Jun 10, 2010 11:13AM) (new)

Liz 20.10 - Group Read
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (5*) - (made a comment in the discussion)

Tasks: 5
Books: 5
Goodreads authors: 1
Pages: 2,333
TOTAL POINTS: 105

message 428: by scherzo♫ (last edited Jun 22, 2010 09:37PM) (new)

scherzo♫ (pjreads)

25.7A NF about passion = theater
Sam Shepard, Arthur Kopit, and the Off Broadway theater by Doris Auerbach

25.7B Fiction passion in title
Theater of the Stars: A Novel of Physics and Memory by N.M. Kelby* Goodreads Author

325 points

message 429: by Brenda (new)

Brenda G | 66 comments Now that school is out I hope to rack up some points.

10.6I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
10.9 The Incredible Voyage: A Personal Odyssey
15.2 Strange Wisconsin: More Badger State Weirdness and The Knitting Circle

That adds 35 points for a total of 40.

Off to the library

message 430: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (margaretliah) | 16 comments 20.10 The Hunger Games
Read and commented...check

Tasks Completed: 2
Total Points: 30

message 431: by Gracie (last edited Jul 06, 2010 04:04PM) (new)

Gracie (LovecraftLass) | 31 comments Task: 25.6- Summer Lovin'

The song I chose is "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)" by Metallica. The book I chose for the task is Shadows in the Asylum: The Case Files of Dr. Charles Marsh by D.A. Stern.
The reason I chose this book was because they both have to do with psychiatric institutions. I chose the song because it is one of my favorite songs and I love to listen to it in summer especially when I can roll down the windows and blast it out!

message 432: by Lene (new)

Lene | 74 comments Finished my first book in this challenge!

For task 10.3 I read 1984 by George Orwell. Taylor from Windsor, ON, Canada was reading this book the day that I checked.

Not really my kind of book at all. I'm glad to be done with it so I can move on to something that I'll (hopefully) find more enjoyable.

Books Read: 1
Tasks Completed: 1
Pages Read: 247
Total Points: 10

message 433: by Nicole (new)

Nicole  | 117 comments 10.2 The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest I really liked the last book in this series. I thought it was fast paced and intelligent.
A note for people reading this series, the third book picks up literally minutes after the second one stops and he doesn't do all that much to refresh your memory on what happened, so if you can try to read 2 & 3 together.

Total points: 25

message 434: by Celeste (new)

Celeste | 47 comments Barbara wrote: "I like to start at the beginning and then move around. So, I completed 5.1 Heat Wave by reading Heat by Bill Buford.

I love Kitchen memoirs (I have at least 2 more in my Summer stash!) Buford wri..."

Where did you find the ticker. I would love to use one myself.

message 435: by Sue T (new)

Sue T (SueTinge) | 1288 comments Take 5.2 I'm really hoping to see Eclipse this summer, so The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner: An Eclipse Novella is what I read.

Tasks Complete: 2
Books Read: 2
Total Points: 10

message 436: by Celeste (new)

Celeste | 47 comments This is my first challenge and I'm so excited. This is too much fun.

So I'm reporting
5.5 The Art of Racing in The Rain
10.5 Year of Fog
15.7 A passage to India
20.8 Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
30.2 A. Through The Looking Glass
B. Lord of the flies

Books read 6
Tasks completed 5
total pages
Total points 80

message 437: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (ChristineUS) | 561 comments 15.5 "great authors...great readers"
For the author, I went with Jennifer Weiner Best Friends Forever

She listed one of her favorites as Margaret Atwood
The Handmaid's Tale

Sadly, I didn't like either one so I feel like I kinda wasted my time. The Atwood book was disturbing, and Weiner really took a step down with this book from her normal writings.

Jennifer Weiner is a Goodreads author

Tasks Completed: 5
Books read: 6
Points earned: 80
Goodreads author tickets: 1

message 438: by Cindie (last edited Jun 10, 2010 01:56PM) (new)

Cindie Harp | 1104 comments 10.7 - I Think We Can Handle The Truth
July 7th is Tell The Truth Day - In honor of this event read a book of non-fiction written by an author who also writes fiction (EXAMPLE: The Murder of King Tut).

I read The Murder of King Tut by James Patterson

tasks Completed: 5
Books read: 8

Goodreads author: 1
Big Books 1(500)
total pages: 2815

message 439: by Tami (new)

Tami W | 189 comments 10.4 - Roll the Dice
Rolled a 425, read Light of Eidon Light Of Eidon (Legends of the Guardian-King #1) by Karen Hancock by Karen Hancock. 432 pg.

Total points: 40

message 440: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3148 comments Celeste wrote: "Barbara wrote: "I like to start at the beginning and then move around. So, I completed 5.1 Heat Wave by reading Heat by Bill Buford.

I love Kitchen memoirs (I have at least 2 more in my Summer ..."

Celeste, if you scroll down the Group Home page there is a section called General Help. Click on the How to Create a Ticker folder and it'll get you to the right place.

Elizabeth (Alaska) 20.2 A Trip to the Past

Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran

accumulated total: 30

message 442: by Morgan P (new)

Morgan P | 21 comments I finished task 20.3, School May Be Out

I read Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Total: 20 points

message 443: by Linda (last edited Jun 10, 2010 03:28PM) (new)

Linda S. (Linda_S_IL) | 11 comments 5.4 What the Dead Know Lippman, Laura (Anthony Award for Best Novel (2008))
10.1 Revenge of the Spellmans Lutz, Lisa
10.2 The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest Larsson, Stieg
20.10 The Hunger Games Collins, Suzanne
I also made a post on the group reads board.

Total 45 points

message 444: by Bree (last edited Jun 10, 2010 03:20PM) (new)

Bree | 2 comments I finished task 5.5.

Her Fearful Symmetry
Audrey Niffenger
5 Points

I found myself reading it quickly, however I did not find it as intriguing our thoughtful as The Time Traveler's Wife.

message 445: by Colleen (last edited Jun 30, 2010 08:42AM) (new)

Colleen | 39 comments I finished 15.3 -Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen. Here is the link to the blog: http://www.stephanieswrittenword.com/...

I LOVED this book. I loved the way she writes, the magical realism, the romance. It was such a quick read and I devoured it like some of Claire's Lavender Bread.

message 446: by Colleen (last edited Jun 30, 2010 08:43AM) (new)

Colleen | 39 comments I also completed Task 10.4 - The Reading Group by Elizabeth Noble.

I rolled 4-5-5 and the book was 464 pages long.

message 447: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 148 comments I just completed 15.4. I am an 8 so I read Super Sad True Love Story: A Novel by an author who is an 8 and also A Stroke of Midnight (Meredith Gentry, #4) which involves power seeking.

I now have 15 points.

message 448: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Hodges Young | 260 comments 20.10 Group Reads
I read the ABC Murders

Points 60
Books Read 6
Pages 1416
Tasks Complete 4

message 449: by Jeni (new)

Jeni | 41 comments 5.10: The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis

Total Points: 30
Total Pages: 1909

message 450: by Jen B (last edited Jun 10, 2010 05:20PM) (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) 25.6 Summer Lovin'
The One That I Want: A Novel by Allison Winn Scotch
Allison Winn Scotch is a Goodreads Author

One of my favorite summer songs is "The One That I Want" from the movie "Grease." The movie was a staple of every summer sleepover I attended from the time I was 8 all the way up through high school. As kids, we'd dance around the living room in our PJs and sing and pretend we were the Pink Ladies. By the time we were in high school, we could recite the entire movie line-for-line and sing the words to every song. In a house full of boys, I don't get to watch much these days that isn't sports or superhero-related, but when I grab a moment alone this summer, I think I need to watch "Grease" again just for old times' sake.

Total Books Read: 6
Total Points: 55

[image error]

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Last Unicorn (other topics)
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (other topics)
Without Mercy (other topics)
Look Again (other topics)
The Red Pyramid (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Peter S. Beagle (other topics)
Lisa Jackson (other topics)
Rick Riordan (other topics)
Melanie Benjamin (other topics)
Charlaine Harris (other topics)
More...