The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

READING WITH STYLE > Summer 2010 'Style' Completed Tasks

Comments (showing 573-622)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

message 622: by Krista (last edited Sep 01, 2010 09:32AM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) The Reading w/Style Summer Challenge 2010 is now officially over!

Congrats to all the participants! Thanks so much for making this such a fun season, and helping to spread the word about our Style. :-)

I'll leave this folder open for awhile so folks can post their thoughts about the challenge, or to recognize folks that have played along this quarter.

What was your favorite book this season, what was your biggest dud?

Please don't post any more completed books. The challenge is over and I won't update the Readbaord with any scores posted since midight last night.

Now, on to the Fall Challenge -- in our own brand new home.

Cheers everyone! -Krista

message 621: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Krista, Sara Grace, it's some other book, but don't worry about it - I made my 500 points by anyone's calculations."

Oh fiddle! I thought I had that one figured out. Thanks so much to both of you for being gracious about the points at the end of the season!

Elizabeth (Alaska) Krista, Sara Grace, it's some other book, but don't worry about it - I made my 500 points by anyone's calculations.

message 619: by Sara Grace (last edited Aug 31, 2010 10:36PM) (new)

Sara Grace  (SaraGrace34) But...I read Matlida.

10.6 For the Children

Matilda, Roald Dahl

+5 Combo (20.3 Yulia http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/18583...)

Total: 15
Tasks Completed: 22
Books Read: 33
Pages Read: 9708
Grand Total: 855
Big Books: 4 (500+), 0 (750+), 0 (1000+)

My numbers were always off though, so oh well. Next season I'll do better!

Elizabeth (Alaska) 20.2 Wall Street

Interpreter of Maladies on the 7/29/09 list of "Immigrants to America"

Accumulated total: 515 (by both our calculations!)

Thanks to everyone for a marvelous challenge, and congratulations especially to those who completed exclusive finishes!

Looking forward to seeing everyone in our new home.

message 617: by Krista (last edited Aug 31, 2010 09:11PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) Christy wrote: "Task 15.2 Sacred Games by Vikram Chandra

15 task points
+20 jumbo (947 pages)

points for this post = 35
grand total = 625

And I'm done! ..."

Good for you Christy, you got that jumbo monster wrestled to the ground just in the nick of time. :-)

message 616: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) Sara Grace wrote: "1. Elizabeth (Alaska) - Is the Spy Who Came in From the Cold in the canon? I can't find it.

If it is, Krista, can I have 10 more points please?

2. Krista, I notice that you had 900 for me on the Readerboard (Before The Big Clock), but I had my last tally was 885 because of your post #537. Is it possible that my 15 points reappeared? I suppose if they did post #608 total should be 925.

I had so much fun with this challenge can't wait for the next one! I am going to focus on the RWS this season. I have a lovely excel spredsheet set up to so all the math for me this time! So hopefully I'll cause less trouble. ;-)

I figured out the mystery of the 15 point swing. Your score column and Elizabeth (Alaska) are right next to each other. I light bulb finally went off. She was short 15 points by her calculation, and you were over by 15 points. I went through the books (and their associated points) I had recorded for both of you, and saw that I had accidently put 'Matilda' (worth 15 points --- aha!) in your column instead of Elizabeth's.

I have moved the book to the correct column. Your score is now 910, and Elizabeth (Alaska) is at 495.

Wa-hoo. I love it when the mystery is solved!

message 615: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) In Msg 604 -- nsfancy wrote: "Task 15.5 The Talented Mr. Ripley by Patricia Highsmith (POV)

Task points 15
+5 Oldie (1955)

Task total 20
Total points 995

And... I think that completes all 30 tasks for a mega finish. In which case my grand total for the summer would be 1030. Thank you all for a great summer of reading!
..."

It sure does complete a Mega Finish for you. Congrats!! I'm glad you had a great summer of reading. Thanks for being such a great participant!

message 614: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) In Msg 603 -- Sam wrote: "10.7 - Indies Choice: The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman
(2009 Young Adult Buzz Book)

10.10 - Square Peg: Roseanna - Per Wahloo & Maj Sjowall
10 + 10 (LiT) + 5 (Oldie - 1965) = 25

15.8 ...

New Points: 75
Exclusive Finish: 25
Grand Total: 860

Let's see if I can get a post done correctly before this challenge ends...
..."

Congrats Sam -- you did get the Exclusive Finish bonus, AND your point total tallied correctly. :-) As shown above, you have 860 as of this post.

message 613: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele (Klibrary) | 1089 comments Putting in my final claim. This has been so much fun!

10.10 – Square Peg

Matilda by Roald Dahl

10 Task Points

20.8 It’s All About Me

Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink Lexile 810 (Originally published as adult, now being published YA)

Combo: 15.3 – “Other Things May Change Us, But We Start And End With Family.” – Anthony Brandt: 5 points/15.1 – Stars And Stripes Forever (New York): 5 points = 10 points

20 Task Points + 10 Style Points = 30 Points

Points This Claim: 30 + 10 = 40
My Grand Total: 1475

Time for bed - my first day with students back in my HS library @7am tomorrow!

message 612: by Sam (last edited Sep 01, 2010 04:46AM) (new)

Sam (archie_leach) | 275 comments 15.4 - Author's Favorite: The Railway Children - E. Nesbitt
(920 Lexile, favorite of Kate Atkinson, 1906)

15 + 10 = 25

New Points: 25
Mega Finish: 35
Grand Total: 920

message 611: by Christy (new)

Christy Task 15.2 Sacred Games by Vikram Chandra

15 task points
+20 jumbo (947 pages)

points for this post = 35
grand total = 625

And I'm done! All of you folks with over 1000 points just amaze me. And I thought I read a lot! Can't wait to start all over again with a new set of tasks tomorrow, and see if I can beat my score from this round.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Sara Grace wrote: "1. Elizabeth (Alaska) - Is the Spy Who Came in From the Cold in the canon? I can't find it. "

LOL, no - a resounding no! OK, I saw a 10 in a column, hurried through the post, called it a canon, and went away. But that 10 should have been for combo points.

Krista, my points for that book are right, but for the wrong reason. Instead of canon, they should be:

+5 combo with 10.3 The ___ Who and
+5 combo with 10.4, as it is a spy novel.

message 609: by Sara Grace (last edited Aug 31, 2010 10:29PM) (new)

Sara Grace  (SaraGrace34) 1. Elizabeth (Alaska) - Is the Spy Who Came in From the Cold in the canon? I can't find it.

Thanks Elizabeth. I was puzzled. :-)

2. Krista, I notice that you had 900 for me on the Readerboard (before The Big Clock), but I had my last tally was 885 because of your post #537. Is it possible that my 15 points reappeared? I suppose if they did post #608 total should be 925.

I had so much fun with this challenge can't wait for the next one! I am going to focus on the RWS this season. I have a lovely excel spredsheet set up to so all the math for me this time! So hopefully I'll cause less trouble. ;-)

message 608: by Sara Grace (new)

Sara Grace  (SaraGrace34) 15.7 "The Anniversary Gift"

The Big Clock by Kenneth Fearing

The Big Clock, Kenneth Fearing

+5 Oldies (1946)

+5 Combo (15.1 Takes place in New York)

Total: 25
Tasks Completed: 23
Books Read: 34
Pages Read: 9994
Grand Total: 910
Big Books: 4 (500+), 0 (750+), 0 (1000+)

So close...yet so far.

message 607: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele (Klibrary) | 1089 comments 20.2 – Take a Walk on Wall Street

List: Historical Fiction/November 28, 2009

Orlando by Virginia Woolf

Combo: 10.8 Know Your Numbers (7): 5 points

Canon: 10 points

Oldies: 1928/ 10 Points

20 Task Points + 25 Style Points = 45 Points

Points This Claim: 45
Points So Far: 1435

Congratulations to the top 3! I have a couple of books I'm going to try to finish up, but I'll be staying no higher than 4th place and trying to make my personal goal of 1500 points. I can't wait to see the tasks you come up with!

message 606: by Deana (new)

Deana Pittman Task 20.8 1st person narrative

I read Swimsuit by james Patterson.

20 points
+ 5 combo points (10.4 espionage)
=25 points for the task

This book is about an "alliance" of people that pay for "artistic films of contracted murders". There is alot of espionage involved in the plot to find/stop the hired killer.

Total RWS points: 770

message 605: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra Task 20.3 Great Minds Think Alike: Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (Madame Bovary, Christine)

+20 Task
+10 Canon
+15 Oldies (Published: 1818)
+15 Combo (10.5, Discrimination against the monster; 15.8; 20.8, First person)

Task Total: 60
Grand Total: 1620

message 604: by [deleted user] (new)

Task 15.5 The Talented Mr. Ripley by Patricia Highsmith (POV)

Task points 15
+5 Oldie (1955)

Task total 20
Total points 995

And... I think that completes all 30 tasks for a mega finish. In which case my grand total for the summer would be 1030. Thank you all for a great summer of reading!

Onward into fall...

message 603: by Sam (new)

Sam (archie_leach) | 275 comments 10.7 - Indies Choice: The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman
(2009 Young Adult Buzz Book)

10.10 - Square Peg: Roseanna - Per Wahloo & Maj Sjowall
10 + 10 (LiT) + 5 (Oldie - 1965) = 25

15.8 - Snape: Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
(Discrimination natural-born children and their parents)
15 + 5 (10.5) + 10 (Oldie - 1932) + 10 (Canon) = 40

New Points: 75
Exclusive Finish: 25
Grand Total: 860

Let's see if I can get a post done correctly before this challenge ends...

message 602: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra Task 20.6 A Trip to the Past: Poetics by Aristotle (Published: 335BCE)

+20 Task
+10 Canon
+10 LiT (Translated from Ancient Greek)
+15 Oldies (Published: 335BCE)

Task Total: 55
Grand Total: 1560

message 601: by Krista (last edited Aug 30, 2010 04:07PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "So I have up to 3am central time of 9/1"

Central Time is 2 hours ahead of Pacific time, so you have until 2:00 AM Central time to get your points posted. :-)

message 600: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer D (Booktrovert) 10.9 - Coralie's "The Four Elements"

Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov

+10 Task Points
+10 Canon
+5 Oldies (published 1962)
+5 Combo (task 10.2 Heat Wave)
Task Total: 30

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 2211 comments So I have up to 3am central time of 9/1

Elizabeth (Alaska) And I live an hour west of you, so it really matters. Midnight EST/EDT is 8:00pm here, so effectively cuts off my reading time for that day.

message 597: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "PDT!!! I have an extra 3 hours! Whoppee!"

I KNOW! Aren't I generous? Since I live in the Pacific Time Zone, I thought I'd give us all a few more hours.

Elizabeth (Alaska) PDT!!! I have an extra 3 hours! Whoppee!

message 595: by Krista (last edited Aug 30, 2010 12:57PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) In know that we're getting close to the end here, so I've updated the Readerboard once again.

Just a reminder, to be counted in this season's challenge ALL COMPLETED TASKS must be posted in this folder by 11:59 PM (PDT) on Tuesday 8/31.
---

Read On!

Elizabeth (Alaska) Hmm. Must be missing one whole task. Oh well, I'm not going to try to figure out which one I didn't post. I'm hoping to have one more post before the cutoff tomorrow, which is a 20-pointer that will get me to 500 - by either of our calculations. ;-)

message 593: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "20.7, Who and a person

The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, pub 1963, canon
Amy and Isabelle, no style points, even though I gave this 5 stars - love Elizabeth Strout
20 + 5 + 10 = 35

accumulated total 495

(Krista, I see we have a 5-point difference, but don't spend any time looking for it. It doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.)..."

Hi Elizabeth: Thanks for the note about the point total being a bit off -- and your kind permission not to fuss with it anymore this season!

But just to update where we stand on the points after this post....

Last Readerboard Score = 445 + 35 (Task 20.7) = 480 Total Points to date by my calculations. (Not the 495 shown above.) I'm providing the info here just in case you're wondering why our totals seem to be getting further and further apart. :-}

message 592: by Christy (new)

Christy Task 15.6 The Invention of Air by Steven Johnson I am interested in the intersection between science and religion. This book was about Joseph Priestly, an English chemist, theologian, and political thinker who influenced Thomas Jefferson among others. Interesting, very readable for non-fiction.

15 points
+ 5 combo 10.9 Elemental

total this post = 20
grand total = 590

I'm still working on Sacred Games and hope to have finished it by Tuesday, but that will be it for me for this challenge.

message 591: by Cassandra (last edited Aug 29, 2010 07:44PM) (new)

Cassandra 20.6- The Oresteia: Agamemnon; The Libation Bearers; The Eumenides by Aeschylus (published 458 CE)

+20 Task Points
+10 Canon
+10 LiT (Greek)
+15 Oldies (published 458 CE)
Task Total: 55
Grand Total: 1505

message 590: by Deana (new)

Deana Pittman Task 20.2 Wall Street Journal Lists

I read In Cold Blood (True-Crime Top 5) for 20 points.
+ 5 poitns (oldies 1965)
+ 10 points (canon)
+ 5 points (Combo 20.1 non-fiction by a writer who writes fiction)
=40 points for the task

Total RWS points: 745

message 589: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele (Klibrary) | 1089 comments 15.8 – “You’re just like Professor Snape!”

The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy

Combo: 15.4 Top Ten List for John Irving: 5 points
(I have read Cider House Rules and many others)

Canon: 10 points

Oldies: 1886/ 10 Points

15 Task Points + 25 Style Points = 40 Points

20.8 It’s All About Me

Koyal Dark, Mango Sweet by Kashmira ShethLexile 790

Combo: 15.2 – “You Must Be The Change You Want To See In The World.”(takes place in India, author born in India): 5 points

20 Task Points + 5 Style Points = 25 Points

Points This Claim: 25 + 40 = 65
Grand Total: 1390

message 588: by Kiri (new)

Kiri | 121 comments Krista wrote: "I for one would be happy to have that spreadsheet available! Thanks for the offer. Sometimes it does seem like the Lexile site isn't very responsive. "

and here is the start of it. I only included scores I've found (rather than all the ones where there wasn't one, as Lexile is an ongoing project.).

message 587: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Aug 29, 2010 12:13PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) As another resource, you might like to check my library. It contains links to "Children's Literature Comprehensive Database Review", noted by a clickable half-sun icon. One piece of the information included is the Lexile Score.

http://206.223.194.250/uhtbin/cgisirs...

message 586: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) Kiri wrote: "Krista wrote: "Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Krista wrote: "The Readerboard has just been updated."

I'm sure there are no awards or bonus points for this, but Krista and I are dead average. ...
--------------------------

Lexile scores - I have two challenges worth of Lexile scores tallied, perhaps we should create a spreadsheet for handy checking?
..."

I for one would be happy to have that spreadsheet available! Thanks for the offer. Sometimes it does seem like the Lexile site isn't very responsive.

Elizabeth (Alaska) 20.7, Who and a person

The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, pub 1963, canon
Amy and Isabelle, no style points, even though I gave this 5 stars - love Elizabeth Strout

20 + 5 + 10 = 35

accumulated total 495

(Krista, I see we have a 5-point difference, but don't spend any time looking for it. It doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 2211 comments I completed task 15.5 Those You Love to Hate by reading "Interview With The Vampire" by Anne Rice

Task Points: 15
Style Points: 5(oldies, 1976), 5(combo 20.8 first person)=10
Grand Total: 510

message 583: by Kiri (new)

Kiri | 121 comments Krista wrote: "Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Krista wrote: "The Readerboard has just been updated."

I'm sure there are no awards or bonus points for this, but Krista and I are dead average. This is not an easy th..."

and you are certainly not dead! ;)

Lexile scores - I have two challenges worth of Lexile scores tallied, perhaps we should create a spreadsheet for handy checking?

message 582: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Krista wrote: "The Readerboard has just been updated."

I'm sure there are no awards or bonus points for this, but Krista and I are dead average. This is not an easy thing to do, thus, my noting ..."

Oh Elizabeth, I'd like to think that we are WAY above average. :-)

Elizabeth (Alaska) Krista wrote: "The Readerboard has just been updated."

I'm sure there are no awards or bonus points for this, but Krista and I are dead average. This is not an easy thing to do, thus, my noting it. ;-)

message 580: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) The Readerboard has just been updated.

Note: Kiri's score in now tallied through all her posted messages, but she and I haven't gone through to work out each question I had about her books. She potentially has a few hundred more points that could be added to her score. We aren't going to go through that exercise to finalize more points for her score unless it becomes apparent that another player will top her score in the final four days of this challenge.

message 579: by Krista (last edited Aug 28, 2010 04:40PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) Oops sorry- I put the one from Hunger Games and meant to add an explanation and forgot. I had another one like this pre-approved because other books in the series were over 700 but Krista & Sam will have to decide if the combo points count for these. I actually didn't see a lexile for Catching Fire either. ..."

I'll accept that the Lexile score for Mockingjay is above 700. Early in the challenge I noted the Lexile scores for 'The Hunger Games' and 'Catching Fire' at 810, and 820 respectively. I had them slated on my books for the quarter, so I saved the Lexile scores.

I believe that the 3rd book in the series would remain at about the same reading comprehension level. So this book does qualify for Style points. Rhea and Karen GHHS, I've included the Style points you claimed when you posted the points for Mockingjay

message 578: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) In Msg 570 - Sam wrote: "....
15.10 - Group Reads: The ABC Murders - Agatha Christie
(1936)
15 + 5 (Oldie) = 20 ....

New Points: 110
Grand Total: 780 ..."

Oops, you already claimed points for The ABC Murders in Msg #450 (on 8/13). The points claimed for that book in this post are disaollowed.

New Points: 110 90
Grand Total: 780 760

message 577: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) 20.5 - Amanda's School's Out: Part A)Victorian, Dracula by Bram Stoker (publ 1897)

I listened to this in audio book format. The edition I listend to was from Brilliance Audio. The narrator was Tom Casaletto, but there were several different people narrating as the various characters throughout the book. The guy that did Van Helsing's part was terrific. All the different narrators really made the story come alive.

I think this is my first 5 star book of the season.

+20 Task Points
+10 Combo Points (10.5, Share #5; 15.8, Professor Snapes List)
+10 Canon
+10 Oldies
= 50 Points Total for book

20.8 It's All About Me: The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie --- Lexile Score = 600

= 20 Point Total for book

Total points for this post = 70
Grand Total = 455

message 576: by Cassandra (last edited Aug 27, 2010 09:53PM) (new)

Cassandra Karen GHHS wrote: "Oops sorry- I put the one from Hunger Games and meant to add an explanation and forgot. I had another one like this pre-approved because other books in the series were over 700 but Krista & Sam wi..."

Shoot. The Lexile website's been buggy for me; I was hoping you typed in something I hadn't. I should add an explanation to my entry too.

15.5- The Atlantis Complex by Eoin Colfer (Villain protagonist, approved in the help thread)

The Lexile score isn't up, but since I'm not getting any style points anyway it doesn't matter.

+15 Task Points

Task Total: 15
Grand Total: 1450

message 575: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele (Klibrary) | 1089 comments Oops sorry- I put the one from Hunger Games and meant to add an explanation and forgot. I had another one like this pre-approved because other books in the series were over 700 but Krista & Sam will have to decide if the combo points count for these. I actually didn't see a lexile for Catching Fire either.

message 574: by Cassandra (last edited Aug 27, 2010 08:21PM) (new)

Cassandra Karen GHHS wrote: "15.1 – Stars And Stripes Forever

Karen how did you get the Lexile score for Mockingjay? I looked and couldn't find it.

message 573: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele (Klibrary) | 1089 comments 15.1 – Stars And Stripes Forever

Stripes: New York

The Dead and the Gone by Susan Beth Pfeffer

15 Task Points

20.8 It’s All About Me

Catching Fire by Suzanne CollinsLexile 820

Combo: 10.2 Heat Wave: 5 points / 10.5 – Stand Up For Your Rights(Capitol toward districts): 5 points / 10.7 The Spirit of Independence(2010 Young Adult): 5 points/10.9 Elemental: 5 points = 20 points

20 Task Points + 20 Style Points = 40 Points

20.8 It’s All About Me

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins Lexile 820

Combo: 10.5 – Stand Up For Your Rights(Capitol toward districts): 5 points

20 Task Points + 5 Style Points = 25 Points

Points This Claim: 25 + 40 + 15 = 80 points
Grand Total So Far: 1325

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (other topics)
A Record of Buddhistic Kingdoms: Being an Account by the Chinese Monk Fa-Hsien of his Travels in India and Ceylon (A.D. 399-414) in Search of the Buddhist Books of Discipline (other topics)
Legacy of Love: My Education in the Path of Nonviolence (other topics)
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (other topics)
Juliet (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Betty Smith (other topics)
Faxian (other topics)
Arun Gandhi (other topics)
Anne Fortier (other topics)
J.B. West (other topics)
More...