The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Summer 2010 Theme Read > The Terra-Cotta Dog - Andrea Camilleri

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 1984 comments Mod
The Terra-Cotta Dog by Andrea Camilleri

The Terra-Cotta Dog (Inspector Montalbano Mysteries) by Andrea Camilleri

From Hayes' nomination "It is the 2nd book in the series, but they do not need to be read in order and it's early enough in the series.

The main character is Police Comissioner Salvo Montalbano, a man who likes to work alone and on his own terms, but who must deal with his quirky subordinates and his demanding superiors.

The action takes place in Vigata, Sicily (but Vigata is really Porto Empedocle on the southern coast of Sicily, the birthplace of Andrea Camilleri).

Montalbano discovers two corpses in a cave being "guarded" by the terra-cotta dog of the title. The story in the present time is interwoven with a story in the past as Montalbano tries to discover who the corpses are (were?).

I have never been to Sicily (but I do live in Italy), but would love to travel there some day."

message 2: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) | 2063 comments Mod
This might be a little different for a lot of readers, but I just adore the main character. There is also a film version (screenplay by the author) which is excellent. I hope you'll try this.

message 3: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

I've been a little busy... will post a few questions in a day or two.

Jan C (woeisme) | 17829 comments Well, summer has come and gone and I have finally finished this book. Okay, so I wasn't it a rush.

But it was very enjoyable.

And I have now gone back and picked up the first in the series.

message 5: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (last edited Mar 08, 2011 12:32AM) (new)

Jan C wrote: "Well, summer has come and gone and I have finally finished this book... "

And I never got around to the questions... where did the time go? Glad you enjoyed it. (How was the translation, by the way... In Italian they are wonderful, but I have never tried one in English.)

I loved the description of the cave and the dog and really enjoyed the unwinding of the past story with all the descriptions of Sicily during the war.

Jan C (woeisme) | 17829 comments It seemed to be a pretty good translation. Then I found that there were explanatory notes at the end of the book. So they could have done a better job when they put it on the kindle - like footnoting it.

But all in all, I found it enjoyable and have already downloaded The Shape of Water.

So Camilleri has a new fan. Besides I am running out of Leon's Brunetti books.

Elli | 228 comments I have enjoyed this author and will probably read this fairly soon.

Jan C (woeisme) | 17829 comments I liked it. But partly I am wondering if one of the reasons I liked it was because of the history thrown in.

message 9: by Kenneth (last edited Jul 02, 2011 09:31AM) (new)

Kenneth Fredette (klfredette) I like Andrea Camilleri. I've read all his English translations so far. You might get some history but it is the interplay that is intriguing. He has
had all his books made into a TV shows. Subtitles if you like that. He's
a pretty old guy with this sense of humor on the running of the detectives and the police two different branches.

Elli | 228 comments Started the Pilgrim Glass by Julie Rose. Starts out with real energy with a call to a noted restorative artist that a very unusual and fine stained glass window has been found in a rural Romanesque cathedral in Italy. And can he come and do the honors... One implication after another is coming as the characters are introduced and the plot becomes connected. Not easy to put down. It may be a late night for me!

Richard | 9 comments Love Camilleri's books and the Terra Cotta Dog is no exception. How can you not like a guy as concerned about what he eats as the case he's working? Saw Kenneth's comment about the TV shows. I don't know about you, but my image of Montalbano from the book leaned to a man in his late forties, early fifties, graying hair, not the thirty something with a shaved head. But they were still fun.

The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Terra-Cotta Dog (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Andrea Camilleri (other topics)