Beyond Reality discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
General - Group Business > Series discussion 2: Nominations!

Comments (showing 51-78 of 78) (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 2 next »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 51: by Charles (new)

Charles (charliewhip) | 139 comments Candiss wrote: "I'd like to suggest the Dragaeran books by Steven Brust.

- The Vlad Taltos novels currently number 12. (The first 9 are available in 4 omnibus editions, in addition to the series being published ..."

Does everyone know that the title, "Brokedown Palace" comes from the title of a Grateful Dead song?

message 52: by Laura (new)

Laura (sfreadergrl) | 54 comments Ha, I did not know that.

message 53: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
It's run-off time! The top two series in the first round were The Wars of Light and Shadow by Janny Wurts, and The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny. The run-off poll can be found here and will be up for a week, so on June 15th we'll know our next series!

message 54: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

The winner of the poll, and the subject of our second official Beyond Reality Series Discussion, is The Wars of Light and Shadow by Janny Wurts! We'll post more details about the format and schedule of the discussion soon. Thanks everyone for voting!

message 55: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments Congratulations Janny! I am so looking forward to this!

message 56: by Janny (new)

Janny (JannyWurts) | 984 comments Jon wrote: "Congratulations Janny! I am so looking forward to this!"

Jon, let me say, I am flabberghasted. And pleased silly. This is a great group.

Plans are in motion to make this discussion tailor made to this group, quite special and different than anywhere else. Any ideas and input from the group will be welcome, in that regard.

Please feel free to air any interests you have, that those angles can be accommodated.

As an opening fillip, I can even go into just where Roger Zelazny's work once inspired the seed for couple of the ideas.

message 57: by Marty (new)

Marty (martyjm) | 310 comments Can somebody tell me what is the very first one? and when this will kick off?

message 58: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Marty, the first novel is The Curse of the Mistwraith (and it's excellent!).

As to when we'll start, we still have to iron out the details - also the exact format of the discussion.

Here are my ideas: because this series has considerably more depth, and the books are a bit longer, I think doing one book per month, like we did with Miles Vorkosigan, might be a stretch. So, as an alternative, I was going to suggest e.g. 2 or 3 chapters per week. The chapters tend to be around 30 to 40 pages, but people who have read Janny's works before will be aware that 30 pages of her books take a bit longer to read than 30 pages of, say, Lois McMaster Bujold. This will also allow us to get a little more in-depth - which also means our discussion will have a different tone from the other group's. This can also definitely benefit from the fact that the author will be here to lead the discussion throughout. I'll create a dedicated folder like for Miles Vorkosigan, so people who join later or fall behind can jump in at any point.

Does that sound like something everyone would be up for? If not, do you have suggestions or changes? I just want to make sure we hammer out all the details before we get started. Once we know what we're doing, we can set a start date for not too far in the future.

Stefan

message 59: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments @Stefan: I like the idea of a chapter or two a week. That will give me a measured controlled goal to re-read and continue to read the series novels. And I can actively participate while reading, something I don't often get to do because of real life distractions. Having smaller chunks to digest and discuss should heighten my participation and I hope others as well.

message 60: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Watson | 55 comments @Stefan: I'm assuming a chapter consists of the main chapter, the two sub-chapters and the triplets, yes? no?

message 61: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Yes, that's what I meant. So we'd read 2 or 3 of those "full chapters" per week - which should come to about 70 to 100 pages or so. That's a good pace for re-readers looking to dig deeper, and also for new readers who still want to read our other Books of the Month and other novels.

message 62: by Clansman (new)

Clansman Lochaber Axeman | 24 comments Jeff wrote: "@Stefan: I'm assuming a chapter consists of the main chapter, the two sub-chapters and the triplets, yes? no?"

Jeff, that would make the most sense, as that is the way Janny writes these books, in chapter sets. We may as well use the structure that she has given us, and each chapter set provides a logical stopping point. If we were to do a chapter set a week, that makes it quite easy to get through a book or so every three months or so, without sacrificing reading time for other novels. These are massive books, and though they are my favourites, I recognize that people like to read other things too.

It will also help us to pick out stuff to which we need to pay attention.

message 63: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Agreed with Clansman, although I would suggest 2 or maybe 3 chapters per week. 2 chapters would mean 60 to 80 pages per week in my paperback editions. We'd cover e.g. book 1, The Curse of the Mistwraith, in about 6 weeks. At that pace, we'd read all 8 books in about a year, which is similar to the time it took to cover the 12 Vorkosigan novels - and by the time we're done, book 9 may be here. But I'm obviously open to other suggestions - as long as it works for as many people as possible, I'm fine.

message 64: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) | 1141 comments I like your suggestions, as it will make it easy for me to reread as we discuss! And read other books as well.

I'm so happy that two groups will be focusing, as these books deserve so much time and attention.

I defy anyone reading them for the first time, though, to be able to stop once they start! Just sayin'...

message 65: by Shel (new)

Shel (shel99) | 1267 comments 2-3 chapters per week is fine with me, though I think I will have a hard time keeping myself to that pace and not reading ahead, since I'm a ridiculously fast reader :) But if I read ahead, I promise not to post spoilers in the discussions!

message 66: by Charles (new)

Charles (charliewhip) | 139 comments My complements to Stefan, Jeff, Jon, and all, for the brilliant reading/discussion format. The depth of detail throughout WoL&S should validate the slower reading pace and reward the fast readers as well. The full chapter clusters make a perfect breakdown. Nice to hang out with really intelligent people.

message 67: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Watson | 55 comments I only asked that question to avoid any confusion. :)

I like the idea.

message 68: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta | 178 comments Shel wrote: "2-3 chapters per week is fine with me, though I think I will have a hard time keeping myself to that pace and not reading ahead, since I'm a ridiculously fast reader :) But if I read ahead, I prom..."

I will have the same problem. Will probably read the whole book and then (also) be careful not to spoil anything others have not read yet.

message 69: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

I've been discussing this with Janny, and here's the solution we've come up with: we can still go with covering 2 or 3 chapters per week, but also set up a thread (or several threads) for discussion of the entire novel, so people who have read ahead and want to discuss the whole story (including spoilers) can do so. We can also set up a thread for discussion of the entire series, for people who have already read all the books and want to discuss the book from that angle. Does that sound okay to everyone?

message 70: by Charles (new)

Charles (charliewhip) | 139 comments Sounds better every time you tweak it. More options = happy posting members. I want to do both, the overview and each individual book, by chapter (cluster).

message 71: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments Sounds wonderful!

message 72: by Kathi (new)

Kathi | 1930 comments This might actually be a good exercise for me, to only read the "assigned" chapters and then read something else. Like Shel, I'm a very very fast reader but not always the most careful reader. This will be my first taste of Janny's writing, but based on what I've read in the discussion about To Ride Hell's Chasm, her style will also force me to slow down.

message 73: by Janny (new)

Janny (JannyWurts) | 984 comments Keep the ideas coming.

I have a few irons in the fire, too, to be unveiled shortly.

The careful read and the fast read both have their merits. Part of the fun of this series is that the quick shot presumptions will trip you. The current commercial trend - toward the fast start, and often empty punch, is not my style. Once the payoff and convergency starts, (at the half point) it may get very hard to pace the chapters - so best provide some relief.

As the discussion pace catches up, things that very well would have been missed in the heat to see the resolution will open out - and likely enrich the experience.

Let's keep the dialogue open, throughout, and tinker as need be to make the most of the experience.

The style will not let you skim, anyway. Bitten skim addicts will find the habit breaks, painlessly, after a few chapters under the belt.

Why things happen is equally suspenseful, as what happens, with this series. Readers accustomed to just straight action (and there is plenty of that) will be able to follow the depth of the various angles.

We have a nice mix of people just starting, and readers who are re-encountering - so as long as the spoilers stay in check, it should be a great combination.

DO watch out for spoilers! There are sequences that lead to stunning volte-face revelations, and the surprise (which follows logically in hindsight) would be dimmed if you hear in advance that such and such happens, or that another level opens up you never (yet) realized was there, all along. People who recall Hell's Chasm know I hate predictability with a passion, and even more, I don't like formula that can be second-guessed. If something LOOKS like a classic scenario - brace up, because you will get that kick when the presumption gets blown to bits.

For this reason we need the space to blow off spoiler steam - it gets very hard to sew the mouth shut. ;)

message 74: by Clansman (new)

Clansman Lochaber Axeman | 24 comments Just took a look inside Curse of the Mistwraith, and there are 18 chapter sets (each set is one longer main chapter, two smaller sub-chapters, and a one-page triplet). Two chapter sets a week would not be onerous at all(and nicely preparatory to Initiate's Trial being out in November!!!), while still allowing for other reading. That means the first book is finished in nine weeks. Three chapter sets, and you finish the first books discussion in 6 weeks. That has us finishing the eight books, assuming 6 weeks per book, in about one year, by which time the ninth book will be out, and added to the discussion.

Our moderator could always speed up or slow down the reading pace, depending on feedback from the group.

message 75: by Shel (new)

Shel (shel99) | 1267 comments Stefan wrote: "I've been discussing this with Janny, and here's the solution we've come up with: we can still go with covering 2 or 3 chapters per week, but also set up a thread (or several threads) for discussi..."

Perfect idea. I know that when I get to a big revelation I'm going to want to talk about it with other people who have also gotten there :)

message 76: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 474 comments Having finished The Last Stormlord, I'm starting to think about what I'm going to read next and fitting it into a reading schedule that will include The Curse of the Mistwraith.

Has anything be decided about a reading schedule for the latter that would allow me to make some decisions about my next read?

If not, no worries, but I thought I'd ask.

message 77: by Charles (new)

Charles (charliewhip) | 139 comments Janny wrote: "Keep the ideas coming.

I have a few irons in the fire, too, to be unveiled shortly.

The careful read and the fast read both have their merits. Part of the fun of this series is that the quick sho..."

I just love the way this discussion is setting up. Should be very, very rewarding to cover the material this way.

message 78: by Janny (new)

Janny (JannyWurts) | 984 comments Kerry wrote: "Having finished The Last Stormlord, I'm starting to think about what I'm going to read next and fitting it into a reading schedule that will include [book:The Curse of the Mistwraith..."

Kerry, Stefan can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the start off decision was three "Chapter sets" per week. The book is formatted with one main chapter, two shorter subchapters, and a set of one line flash views at the end. Each of these "sets" begins with a roman numeral...and each chapter opening (with the roman numeral) is listed in the Table of Contents at the start; so the first week would cover the Prologue, "Captive", "Sentence", and "Exile."

« previous 1 2 next »
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

On Basilisk Station (other topics)
Stormed Fortress (other topics)
Peril's Gate (other topics)
Traitor's Knot (other topics)
Fugitive Prince (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Janny Wurts (other topics)
Steven Brust (other topics)
Jennifer Roberson (other topics)