The Book Addicts! discussion

Book Swap! > Book Swap!

Comments (showing 1-45 of 45) (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary (Marbear), Founder (new)

Mary (Marbear) Blackburn (mbeth45) | 9161 comments Mod
There are so many of us that love to buy books. I thought it would be fun to start a book thread for swapping books. Plz don't list addresses or e-mails here. If you would like to swap books plz privately e-mail each other. Happy Book Swapping!

marbear

Christopher H. (christopher_h) MarBear wrote: "There are so many of us that love to buy books. I thought it would be fun to start a book thread for swapping books. Plz don't list addresses or e-mails here. If you would like to swap books plz pr..."

How many of you use the Goodreads bookswap feature? I use it all of the time, and it is fabulous! It only costs one the price of postage to receive a book. Really is super easy to use. Cheers! Chris

message 3: by Mary (Marbear), Founder (new)

Hi Chris. Thanks for the info.

Marbear

Laura Beth (tampabookworm) | 219 comments I am using the GR BookSwap feature as well!

Anna Anderson (AnnaAnderson) | 373 comments Since people are already using the Goodreads bookswap, I am in another book group on line and they did a bookmark swap...you make bookmarks and swap with other people from the group and everyone that wants to participate gets one. I thought it was a great idea b/c you have to be creative and yet it is very useful, but I joined the group too late to participate, so that is just an idea!

message 6: by Mary (Marbear), Founder (new)

Hi Anna. We've done book marks twice and it was a great hint. Maybe it's time to do it again. Thanks for the suggestion.

Marbear

Daphne (Daphne2163) | 238 comments I love the Book Swap feature on this site. I check out the page every time I log on just to see what is listed on the first page. I would say I find about 50% of the books I am looking for on there. For every 10 books you give away you get a free one of your choice and it is easy both to send and request books.

Christopher H. (christopher_h) Daphne wrote: "I love the Book Swap feature on this site. I check out the page every time I log on just to see what is listed on the first page. I would say I find about 50% of the books I am looking for on the..."

Ditto for me! Just in the past month I have picked at least ten books off of swap here, and gotten rid of 20+ to boot.

message 9: by Pat (last edited May 24, 2010 06:40PM) (new)

Pat (PatB37) | 217 comments I have not listed books or asked for books on the bookswap here on Goodreads because I could not find anything to explain how the shipping is paid. I understand the receiver pays, but how?

Christopher H. (christopher_h) Pat wrote: "I have not listed books or asked for books on the bookswap here on Goodreads because I could not find anything to explain how the shipping is paid. I understand the receiver pays, but how?"

For example, if I decide I want a copy of book amongst those displayed, I 'click' on the "Request Book" button. After you put in your mailing address, you'll then be instructed to put in a credit/debit card number. When the seller prints the pre-paid mailing/postage label, your card is credited/debited. The postal rate is "Media Mail" and is typically always between $3.00 and $4.00. It is literally as simple as that. It is really incredibly easy and glitch-free. Usually your book shows up between 4-6 days after it has been shipped. You can track its progress through the U.S. Mail system.

Also, you can ask the swapper the condition of the book if it isn't already specified. You can select condition, edition, etc. I was able to send off a whole box of books, and I received some that I have been looking for for some time too. It really is easy!

Marilu | 171 comments I can not use Goodreads bookswap as it is not available in Canada. I have never used another bookswapping site either since I do not have use a credit card!

In another group , we do swaps amongst ourselves! It works pretty well!

Christopher H. (christopher_h) Well, there you go; that'll work too. I am sure that, clever people that we are, we can figure out how to get books from Point A to Point B with little fuss.

Marilu | 171 comments Christopher wrote: "Well, there you go; that'll work too. I am sure that, clever people that we are, we can figure out how to get books from Point A to Point B with little fuss."

LOL!! I have thought of a few off the top of my head. We could either actually trade a book with another member, each paying the postage for the book they send. Or we can just send a book to someone that asks for it, and pay for the postage when we send it. Basically you pay when you send a book and you don't pay to receive one. I know that sounds silly, like you are paying to give something away, but it works in another group I am in, since we trust that if you get a book you will send a book, and whoever sends a book will get one at some point. I don't know if that makes sense . Maybe I am not explaining it properly. But maybe it works so well because it is a smaller group too.

We also do something where there are a few of us that want to read the book, so we all put our name on a list. The owner of the book mails it to the 1st person, the 1st person , mails to the 2nd person on the list, until we have gone through the list at which point the last person mails it back to the owner. everyone pays postage at some point.

message 14: by Harper (last edited May 24, 2010 09:23PM) (new)

Harper (harperbell) I've never used the book swap feature on GR, but I might have to check it out. I use PaperBackSwap all the time.

Christopher H. (christopher_h) There's another on-line book swap called "Bookmooch.com." I have never even looked at it, but I have heard that it is pretty effective, and people swear by it.

Harper (harperbell) I've checked out Bookmooch, but I haven't signed up. I searched it for a couple of books I hadn't been able to get off PBS, but Bookmooch didn't have them either so I didn't bother to register for an account. I hear they ship internationally, though, so that's a bonus for the overseas members of the group.

Shirley (ShirleytheKindlereader) | 399 comments I use swap often. If I am giving a book away I feel the receiver should pay the postage. I am converting my library from what I used to read to my current tastes. My only problem is..... I am becoming a bit of a hermit and mailing them means a trip to the post office. I have had several lost shipments and they were resolved very quickly. I have met several goodread "friends" because swap makes you aware of someone else with similar reading tastes. Several swappers have joined reading groups since the "swap". I have nephews in Florida and a sister in Tennessee so I have a second and third ship to address and have them sent directly to them. The caveat is book addicts love swap but it adds to their TBR pile often.

K.B. Hallman (kbhallman) | 321 comments I swap a lot as well. I use three swapping sites: Goodreads, PaperbackSwap, and BooksfreeSwap. I looked into Bookmooch, but it's a fairly complicated system and the only person I know who uses didn't seem very happy with it.

K.B. Hallman (kbhallman) | 321 comments Amelia, if you only post to one site, try to posting the books to others. You might be surprised to find them moving along.

Tasha I don't know if Swaptree was already mentioned but that is another book swap site. I use that one alot and have been happy with the swaps :)

K.B. Hallman (kbhallman) | 321 comments PaperBackSwap: www.paperbackswap.com

PaperBackSwap has a huge membership--approximately 74,000 people. So it a good place to get books and to find people with similar reading tastes. If memory serves, you have to list 10 books for swap to be able to join. The sender pays postage and earns a credit for each book swapped. (Two for audiobooks.) But, you have to pay for delivery confirmation to get your credit immediately. Otherwise, you don't receive your credit until the requestor indicates that the book has been received.

BooksfreeSwap: www.booksfreeswap.com

BooksfreeSwap is fairly new and books seem to be moving pretty quickly there. Like here, the requestor pays postage. It costs nothing to join. The only stipulation (that I'm aware of) is that in order to request a book, you need to have 5 books listed as available to swap. Since you, Amelia, said you have a box of them, that shouldn't be a problem.

Both services allow you to create wishlists.

If you join either of them, feel free to friend me--kbhallman. Having friends increases your chances of getting popular books sooner. PBS lets you post books directly to your friends. BFS automatically offers your books (provided they are on wishlists) to your friends before nonfriends.

Laura Beth (tampabookworm) | 219 comments Hey Amelia - I just requested 3 books from you :-)

Laura Beth (tampabookworm) | 219 comments friend me on paperbackswap! tampabookworm

:-)

Susan | 222 comments I don't want to get rid of any of my books, but I do really like the bookmark swap idea. If someone starts this idea, count me in.

Jill (Jillybeans) | 4474 comments If anyone would like my copy of The Map of True Places that we are currently reading, I would be happy to send via US mail media mail at my own expense.

It's a first edition signed copy provided by the publisher for our Book Addicts group and I can keep it in the family. I love to share books and don't keep them. I think a book needs to be read to live!

Glenda | 205 comments Jill wrote: "If anyone would like my copy of The Map of True Places that we are currently reading, I would be happy to send via US mail media mail at my own expense.

It's a first edition sig..."

I would love it, Jill. I didn't get in on the free books as I was visiting my parents with limited internet access.

Yorky Caz (YorkyCaz) | 2188 comments Susan wrote: "I don't want to get rid of any of my books, but I do really like the bookmark swap idea. If someone starts this idea, count me in."

I think Angela arranged it last time?

Yorky Caz (YorkyCaz) | 2188 comments Marilu wrote: "Christopher wrote: "Well, there you go; that'll work too. I am sure that, clever people that we are, we can figure out how to get books from Point A to Point B with little fuss."

LOL!! I have tho..."

I think it would work quite well - I have sent books to a friend on here and paid the postage and then seperately another book addict Elaine sent me a book that she had which she noticed on my wish list so it does all sort itself out - Should we maybe have one post that people can put up names of books they have that they are willing to pay postage on and then if anyone wants to add to the list they just edit that one?

Trish (TrishaG) | 193 comments Laura wrote: "friend me on paperbackswap! tampabookworm

:-)"

I just joined PaperBackSwap. My nickname is SunT. I put you down as my referral & "friended" you...Hope you get something good for referrals- Thanks:)
Trish

message 30: by Afsana (last edited Jun 13, 2010 06:36AM) (new)

Afsana (afsanaz) I have never used any swap sites. i Like to keep my books and when I do have a cull and get rid of ones will never read again I tend to donate it to charity or my local library

May try these sites

K.B. Hallman (kbhallman) | 321 comments Afsana, I used to be that way. Numerous family members, neighbors, and friends have benefitted over the years. But they rarely reciprocated. And after awhile, I resented that. I suppose it never occurred to them that I might like a book in return. So swapping--in its many forms--works better for me.

Afsana (afsanaz) K.B. wrote: "Afsana, I used to be that way. Numerous family members, neighbors, and friends have benefitted over the years. But they rarely reciprocated. And after awhile, I resented that. I suppose it never oc..."

i can understand that I have seen that in other things.

I have also an issue that I hate to get rid of books

message 33: by K.B. (last edited Jun 13, 2010 07:09AM) (new)

K.B. Hallman (kbhallman) | 321 comments I've run out of space. It was get rid of books that I've read or stop reading anything new. I just couldn't miss out on all the books that I hadn't already read.

Thalia Don't forget your local used book store. I bring my books in there for credit against my new purchases. Anything they pass on gets donated to the library to add to stock or sell off.

K.B. Hallman (kbhallman) | 321 comments I suspect not all used book stores are created the same. Ours won't take any hardbacks, or any books that were discounted at some time. They also won't take books that you bought from them in the first place. And of course there's the inventory to consider. Yada, yada, yada. So, while I love to buy books from them, I find it easier to swap what I've read.

Afsana (afsanaz) K.B. wrote: "I suspect not all used book stores are created the same. Ours won't take any hardbacks, or any books that were discounted at some time. They also won't take books that you bought from them in the f..."

how would they know whether it was discounted? or if you bought it from them?

K.B. Hallman (kbhallman) | 321 comments A book burning? Really? I can recall the uproar in Cobb County, Georgia, over books being banned when I was in high school (1980s), but I've never heard of a modern-day book burning. I don't blame you, Amelia, for refusing to deal with them. How medieval!

K.B. Hallman (kbhallman) | 321 comments Afsana, do you have any books with a black line across the page ends? That's how booksellers mark a book that was put on clearance. Our used bookstore marks every book that way. Our store sets up an account for people bringing in books to swap for credit--for the sake of argument, we'll say 20 cents per book--and the store checks that account everytime a person brings books in. More than once, I've seen a customer come in with 30 or more books and have the store reject all but 2 or 3. But in terms of buying used books, this place is fabulous! Love it, love it, love it.

Thalia The horror stories! I guess I'm lucky. My UBS's are awesome. They too won't take everything but I usually am able to trade in 90% of my books (some of them bought from there in the first place). The only hard covers they take are ones that are really new (not yet out in PB).

Afsana (afsanaz) K.B. wrote: "Afsana, do you have any books with a black line across the page ends? That's how booksellers mark a book that was put on clearance. Our used bookstore marks every book that way. Our store sets up a..."

here in the uk its not like that as far as I am aware and the store I have seen it- allows you to brink back and gives you credit on the sticker they also have confirmed what credit will be given

shocking to deface a book by lining them!!!

Afsana (afsanaz) just a couple of hours a go joined reasitswapit

uk site. after registering looked through books to see which ones willing to let go and put them on the site (19 of them) and by the time they were on got a swp request. and then put little one to bed and enveloped the book requested and came to check on my emails and another was requested!!

SO impressed and wished I tried this earlier

K.B. Hallman (kbhallman) | 321 comments Afsana, in my experience, it ebbs and flows. Some weeks I get several requests and other weeks nada. I hope you enjoy it.

Keiji Miashin Amelia wrote: "I refuse to use my local store after they held a book burning. I am waiting for my local library to reopen so I can donate some books there. Till then Bookswap is the only way I can clean out some ..."

What the tap dancing Jesus Christ?
What library was this? Was it a specific book/genre they were targeting or were they just trying to get rid of old books/excess inventory?

I'm a big user of the Goodreads bookswap. Mostly I put books up for swap cause I honestly don't have the space for them anymore. Three huge boxes of books, and I don't want to put them in the garage where they'll got moldy and rodent eaten.

But burning books... D=
Thas' jus' wrong.

message 44: by Mary (Marbear), Founder (new)

K.B. wrote: "A book burning? Really? I can recall the uproar in Cobb County, Georgia, over books being banned when I was in high school (1980s), but I've never heard of a modern-day book burning. I don't blame ..."

Why would they burn books? Somebody can always use books? Where was this? That's just wrong.

Marbear

Afsana (afsanaz) i have been using readitswapit.co.uk and i think is good so far no. no credit cards required as the sender pays for postage. you agree aswap and pay postage-it equals out as the other person has paid postage to send to you

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Map of True Places (other topics)